Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

J2C Archive

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 1, 2008, 08:28 PM
J2C Archive

http://milesba.com/~jazz2city/heavy.htm

The archive do Jazz2City is currently down. Maybe it's just bad luck on my part, trying to visit the site just when it happens to be down, but I don't know. Has it been this way for long? It would suck if it was gone permanently, because J2C still remains as one of the best databases of JJ2 levels and tilesets. There is a lot of stuff there from 1998 and 1999 that cannot be found on other sites, and it would be a shame if it was inaccessible. Some of it is very good.

If this doesn't have much of a chance at coming back, it would be cool if someone could contact Brian (I think he's the one who hosted the archive), so it could be hosted by somebody else. Maybe the archive could even be put on j2o, if there is room for it (somehow I doubt it would be too huge, since downloads back then had to be kept small due to dialup connections being common).

I just don't want to see this valuable archive of jj2 levels disappear. Plus I want to try giving my jj2 blog another shot (that's how I noticed the archive was down), and it would be nice to be able to write about more than than just what is on j2o.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

May 1, 2008, 10:15 PM
I believe that I downloaded most of the uploads and have access to them if you have a specific request, Mike.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
I just want to be able to browse them and download them at will
Brian

JCF Member

Brian has disabled reputation

May 2, 2008, 12:24 AM
Problem solved, everything should be back up now. Well, unless you're reading this the moment I post it.

Here's the issue. Road Runner doesn't give me a static IP address, so it changes from time to time. My home network is configured so that if I go to "milesba.com" it goes to the address on the internal network instead of the IP address the rest of the world sees. So if the external IP address changes, I usually don't see it because my computers can still connect to the server without a problem. So just now I put in the new IP address into the domain name server and it should be resolved soon. I'd give it around 24 hours to see if the change took effect. If within 48 hours you still have a problem, mention it here and I'll take another look into it. I'll keep checking this thread to see if everything works ok.

I'm kinda bummed that I don't have the old J2C domain anymore. But do to a mixup in the email address I registered the account with, I didn't get the reminder email to renew the domain and someone else snatched it up. It would have cost me $80 to recover the domain. I figured that I'd just get it when the guys who snatched it up tried to renew it. They are trying to sell the domain for $500 (minimum) though because it apparently is a premium domain name that's worth a lot of money. Except that even though it's worth $500, no one has paid that price in two years so I don't know who they are trying to sell it to. In the meantime, jazz2city.milesba.com should also work again. Feel free to let me know if it breaks again.

You know, I may not have the JMMB archives online, but I do wish to keep an archive of Jazz2City going still. So long as I don't have to put an effort into maintaining it, it's still a decent reference to the JJ2 community. It shows us our roots and whatnot. :-)

JCF Member

May 2, 2008, 02:21 AM
Cool, good to see it's back up. Thanks.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

May 3, 2008, 10:45 AM
Practically it appears the original J2C domain was stolen, but those 'snatchers' appear to have bad luck cause after 2 years without someone to sell it to, I'm wondering why it's still worth $500 or more. All the www's reference to the domain has fallen since J2C was down.. Oh, isn't it an idea to host the JMMB archive aswell? The only server requirement for UBB5 is Perl and it did work with the latest version when I tried it one year ago. It may require you to change the server/data paths in the scripts, or you could just upload all the topics in their HTML format generated by the scripts. It would be pretty nice to see some of the old JJ2 discussions back, I even remember topics about people able to buy the JJ2 engine from orange games lol..