Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

A game I may actually FINISH!

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Dec 7, 2002, 04:38 PM
A game I may actually FINISH!

After many hard years... er ... two days of working, I've started making another JJ2 fangame! It is more stable and smaller in size than my others, runs small one-screen levels, and I actually plan to FINISH this one!
http://www.foxmage.com/JJ2Game.gif
Why am I posting this in the art forum? I'm in need of enemy and boss animations, short little ones, like 3-6 frames for a walking graphic. I don't need anything professional looking, just little, mouse-drawen characters, even drawen in MSPaint. I can't pay you or anything, but I will put you in the credits. Just post something and say it's alright for me to use it. Thanks. And if anyone wants to know what size to make them, jazz is abut 32 pixels high, but I can resize any graphics.
And for anyone who wants to know more about the game, it's JJ1-like, uses one-screen levels, 640x480 resolution, has four weapons (blaster, RF, toaster, and a suprise one I made up you won't see until I release the game), and actually has no glitches so far! Yay!

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Last edited by Radium; Dec 7, 2002 at 04:52 PM.
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

Batty Buddy is doing well so far

Dec 7, 2002, 05:32 PM
Que Passa!!!!

YEAAAAAH!!!

I can hardly wait to see it!

"I must be the personification of the rage to live,
hit me, dunk me, insult me, I'll still hang in there...

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
Proud to be the 100th, 600th, 666th, and 1000th poster in the "Slime the Poster above you" thread...
Even though I had to cheat... Thank you, The Cheat.
(RIP William Hanna)
"I claim Page 4 in the name of my sexy female self."
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 7, 2002, 06:11 PM
Batty, think you could do any animations? The game will be ready to release as soon as I add the enemys, powerups, and levels (and fix one SMALL glitch I found).
So far it has one powerup called "Cat Reflexes", which keeps you from jumping when hurt. I also want to add one that hurts both you and the enemy when you run into each other. Maybe also some things that make weapons shoot farther, both directions, double damage, etc.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

Dec 7, 2002, 06:25 PM
Que Passa!!!!

Oh, I've had experiance with mild animation before:

I'll see if I can help you.

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
Proud to be the 100th, 600th, 666th, and 1000th poster in the "Slime the Poster above you" thread...
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Member

JJ BBoy KS is doing well so far

Dec 7, 2002, 08:38 PM
That's cool. There'll be different style of art animations in it. ;D

(Just out of curiosity, what kind of format should the animation be saved as? Or is it just pics that are drawn and you stick together in an animation? And what kind of creature for a boss and enemies do you need? Any kind? Even if it's/they're made up? And what should they be able to do? Just walk and hit?)

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Dec 8, 2002, 05:13 AM
OH OMG I'D LOVE TO DO THIS!!!!!11 XD

What sorta stuff d'you need?
And the same as BBoy asked...

AND HOW DO I MAKE ANIMATIONS? XD

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ BBoy KS
That's cool. There'll be different style of art animations in it. ;D

(Just out of curiosity, what kind of format should the animation be saved as? Or is it just pics that are drawn and you stick together in an animation? And what kind of creature for a boss and enemies do you need? Any kind? Even if it's/they're made up? And what should they be able to do? Just walk and hit?)

I'd like .gif if possible, if not, I could just convert it. As for what the enemys can do and what they are, just be creative and make it original (and maybe a few turtles if you run out of ideas (and not too many giant robots)). I'll make their moves based on the animations I have available, so if you give me a punching animation, the enemy will punch. And if the animation is confusing ("what the heck is this guy doing???"), just tell me what it's supposed to do in the message.

And piccolo, you wanted to know how to make animations. It's pretty easy. If you want to do it on a computer find a free program for animation making, or use common ones like Animation Shop or Microsoft Gif Animator. Draw a picture, then draw one a little bit different, and keep doing this until it looks like the picture is moving when you run through the animations. If you want to save some work, just copy the image and redraw parts you need. If your still confused, these are the frames of an animation of Rif from ITE:

This is the actual animation:

If you can't figure out how to use an animation making prog, just send me the frames and I'll put them together. Also, using construction lines helps a lot in hand-drawen animation, since it keeps your proportions from changing. Something else you may want to try is using tracing paper, and after drawing one picture, put the tracing paper over the first one and use it as a guide for the second.

And remember, I might not use ALL the animations, but probably. What I mean by that is if someone draws a stick figure they shouldn't say "If you don't put this in, I'll become depressed".

Last edited by Radium; Dec 8, 2002 at 07:31 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 07:26 AM
Well okay,as soon as I find the time and motivation for it I'll download me one...^_^

I'm always glad to help...especially when my works get published!

Do you also take bosses?^^

And is there something to know about size?

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Dec 8, 2002, 07:32 AM
I could draw you tilesets, but I'm not good at animating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 07:34 AM
Yes, I also take bosses. And try not to make the animations too long if they're large in size.

defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Dec 8, 2002, 07:35 AM
I can make cool backgrounds for the levels, and uhm...cool logos. :P

You could use the GameTitan Jazz as a badie, there's an animated sprite of him on their site. A sort of 'FIXORS!' gesture.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 07:41 AM
I don't need too many people helping with this! It looks like Batty and Piccolo are helping already. Defalcon, think you could whip up a menu screen, with "New Game, Load Game, High Scores, and Quit"? Make it creative.

JCF Member

Dec 8, 2002, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Radium
Yes, I also take bosses. And try not to make the animations too long if they're large in size.
If I didn't take this yes wrong, I need to know
-What theme the tileset(s) should be
-The max. number of colors

Quote:
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 08:31 AM
Sorry, blaze, but I don't really need any tilesets. I have a few unpublished ones of mine I plan to use. And for sprites, any number of colors can be used.

http://www.foxmage.com/Chiblings.png
My awesome enemy- and the only one so far, the Chibling!

No matter who draws it, the rampaging snufuss WILL be a boss.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 10:43 AM
All I need is bad guy and boss animations. I'm going to do music, programing, and *some* animation myself.
Minion of the Snufuss ( (c) Me):
http://www.foxmage.com/Minion.png
Snufuss Lair Music ( (c) Me):
http://www.foxmage.com/SnufussLair.mid
(play the music while looking at the picture to see how good they match!)

JCF Member

Dec 8, 2002, 12:59 PM
Would something like this be acceptable?

(I drew it ;P)

Quote:
*sings*

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 01:08 PM
Great job, moonblaze! Much better than my temporary (until I get some good ones) minions: http://www.foxmage.com/DeadMinion.gif Think you could make it walk and some other stuff like using it's tail as a whip?

*wonders why he can't draw that good*

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 01:31 PM
Oh, and do you think you could darken the colors a little? The Snufuss's lair is going to be fairly dark, and it would make the game run slower if I added lighting effects. -Keep the eyes brightly colored, though. And though you can't see it in the picture I drew, the green markings are only under one eye (unevenness makes things look mysterious).

JCF Member

Dec 8, 2002, 03:43 PM
Well, I might try to make something, just for the fun of it (Even if it turns out you don't really want it ). How many enemies are you thinking to get? Unlimited?

(Can they be anything? Like...any kind of creature?)

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 8, 2002, 03:50 PM
I don't know how many enemys , depends on how many people draw something. And if you know you can't draw good at all, either don't help or make it something cute and stupid like my Chibling =P.

As for diferent creatures, anything goes, except for pigs and cows... barnyard animals scare me...

defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Dec 8, 2002, 10:22 PM
Dude, have the GameTitan Jazz as a baddie!

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 9, 2002, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Radium
All I need is bad guy and boss animations. I'm going to do music, programing, and *some* animation myself.
Minion of the Snufuss ( (c) Me):
http://www.foxmage.com/Minion.png
Snufuss Lair Music ( (c) Me):
http://www.foxmage.com/SnufussLair.mid
(play the music while looking at the picture to see how good they match!)
Oooo,stuff be awesome...

OKay,I think my stuff'll be the worst of all but I'll try anways...^_~

Erm,two more questions...

Is there a limit in time we have to finish the things?

Can baddies shoot as well?

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2002, 07:53 AM
Don't bother yourself with draw Minion, Fawriel.
I'm already in work with animation Minion in attack, movement, death, ect.

Quote:
*sings*

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 9, 2002, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonblaze
Don't bother yourself with draw Minion, Fawriel.
I'm already in work with animation Minion in attack, movement, death, ect.
Okayokay...now will you stop making me down here already?
CAN'T YOU JUST ONCE LEAVE ME ALONE?

I'LL NOW GO ON WORKING WITH MY DARN BOSS AND WE'LL SEE WHO SHOULDN'T BOTHER!!!!!!!

*walks off with a steaming head,trembling all over*

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2002, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Piccolo
Okayokay...now will you stop making me down here already?
CAN'T YOU JUST ONCE LEAVE ME ALONE?

I'LL NOW GO ON WORKING WITH MY DARN BOSS AND WE'LL SEE WHO SHOULDN'T BOTHER!!!!!!!

*walks off with a steaming head,trembling all over*
Did I do anything? o.O

Quote:
*sings*

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 9, 2002, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonblaze
Did I do anything? o.O
No, that's just piccolo's Low Moral at work. If only Mike could share some of his egotisticness...

As for a time limit on this, I'd like them done before a month or two, but I think the action will sort of "fizzle out" before christmas. And shooting enemys? Sure, give them little progectiles to shoot, or in some mage-like-enemy cases (minion?) have them throw up their hands and giant fireballs fly out of the ground (just a suggestion). Or give me a little programming challnge and give them a suicide attack =P.
Something to note about how the new JJ game runs, health is based off of 100, but if I want to be REAL stupid, I can have enemys deal half a HP of damage or even .000001 damage. The HP bar works by multiplying the health (100) by 2 point something. so half a HP would be one pixel on the bar.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 9, 2002, 03:38 PM
I plan for the game to have JJ1-like planets. Here's one I made up:

Atlantekes:
Once a powerful planet, Atantekes sent small floating citys to other planets to conquer them. One day, during a war with a conquered planet, a giant force field was created between the planet and it's sun. This left the planet under an eternal ice age. It is said great metal citys still thrive in the watery center of the planet...
(essentially it's a ice cube with an atlantis-like city in the middle... see the screenshot of the chiblings.) Background Music:
http://www.foxmage.com/Atlantekes.mid

I'll let you guys decide what the creatures of that planet look like =P.

Writing music is fun.

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2002, 04:00 PM
Okay, well while I was playing around, I made this warthog. It's okay if you don't like it, because I just made it for fun. You can use it if you want

(horn attack)

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2002, 04:28 PM
Que Passa!!!!

FEAR TEH WARTHOG!!!
(Please note: I AM designing a monster, however I also have a few leftover things to do at school.)

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 9, 2002, 05:41 PM
Warthog has been added.

He moves at about half Jazz's speed, does a lot of damage, is affected by gravity, and probably will have a health of about 10-15 (that means 10 blaster shots). Very nice animation, it moves very smoothly. Do you think you could make a death animation?

JCF Member

Dec 9, 2002, 08:24 PM
Sweet!

I'll work on a death animation.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 10, 2002, 03:52 AM
Anything without a death anim will just explode =P. By the way, another update on the game: I redid a bit of jazz's programming and reduced the size 50kb. Yay.

I have a feeling when I get a few more enemys, it may be time for a beta test. Who will the lucky person be?

JCF Member

Dec 10, 2002, 03:56 AM
Someone who knows how to betatest instead of someone who just wants a preview of the game.

Quote:
*sings*

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2002, 04:41 AM
Or both.

I wouldn't be able to make any sort of enemy or anything, but I would love to design a menu / title or something of that sort. Do you have a name for the game? And what options should you be able to choose, and does color matter? I think I remember you answering all those already, I dunno.

And btw, I love Defalcon's idea of using the JazzGBA sprite as an enemy - that would be hilarious.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;
Samurai-Olle

JCF Member

Samurai-Olle is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2002, 05:11 AM
HI Møønblaze !!!

HI Møønblaze it's me: the swede-lover!!!

by the way: hälan gär!, schule hop schule hop schule opsan sa! Hälan gär schul' hop schul' hopsan säj!

I'll write more swedish tunes for you later !!!

p.s I bet you like'em after all

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 10, 2002, 08:27 AM
Hm,I finished an enemy...as a warm-up,really! XD
Other ones are gonna be better methinks...

Erm,so I'll send the guy now...or shall I wait til I got a few more and send them in a big pack?^^

*checks if animations are good again*

Ah,tis nice...^_^

Bet you'll like my Spector...^^

How many bosses per person?
I could make ya up to 3...^^
Altho I dunno if I really am able to... XD

JCF Member

Dec 10, 2002, 09:47 AM
Que Passa!!!!

I wonder: Can I design a boss badguy that attacks Jazz by makeing MORE minor badguys?
I already have a small minor badguy(Looks like some kind of strange pie demon that tries to bite you) but I thought it wouldn't be as cool by itself, largely because it's weak(Possibly one-shot kills it.) and small. I am starting design on the boss just in case you say "Yes", but if you DO say "No", you might still be able to use him... or her- haven't desided which.

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
(RIP William Hanna)
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 10, 2002, 11:42 AM
Answer to Spaztic: Defalcon is already got the menu, and I'm doing the title screen. Sorry.

Answer to "how many enemys per person": Try to make a few good ones rather than many cruddy ones =P. But if you people NEED a limit, lest say 6 or 7 per person.

Answer to "can bosses create bad guys": Sure, I don't have a social life so I got all day to program. But it will only take an hour at most.

And I think we have enough animators, so lets say anyone that hasn't replied to this thread can't help unless they beg me =P.

And post badguys as you make them, not in packs. I'd rather program over time than suddenly have hundreds of bad guys thrown at me on one day =P.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 10, 2002, 11:51 AM
Kkies!^^

The baddy only has a moving and a death animation...he's gonna be way simple!^_^

*goes send*

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 10, 2002, 11:57 AM
Erm...your e-mail addy please...?^^;;;;;;

Oh...cool!^^

*claims the page for Ri and himself...*