Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Computer freezing.... efil.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jul 16, 2003, 04:41 PM
Computer freezing.... efil.

Occasionally (every 1-5 min) my computer just freezes. These freezes generally last from 3-15 seconds, but sometimes it crashes completly. What's strange, though, is even though my mouse and keyboard don't respond, animations like the RealPlayer icon and my animated cursor sometimes keep playing. These problems didn't start until I installed JCS94 (*stares at *that* team angrilly*), however it's already been uninstalled, and all my system files reupdated. I've already removed my modem (never use it, anyway) and dusted out the inside of my computer. Though freezes are less frequent, they still occour.

Sooo... any help?

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 17, 2003, 01:05 PM
*bump*

Something else interesting is that after it freezes completly (mouse, keyboard, etc don't work, not even Ctrl+Alt+Del), the computer still shuts down fine when I just push the off button, and sometimes things like virus scans keep running. Sometimes it's like it just stops listening to me, other times it's like a total freeze.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jul 17, 2003, 01:45 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the applicable Visual Basic runtimes that came with JCS 94? They tend to be a bit buggy and can cause things like this to happen.

Is there any activity from the floppy drive, CD-ROM drive, or hard drive when this is happening? Also, would you mind being more specific about your computer, such as what operating system is installed, how much RAM you have, etcetera?

~ Traft

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 17, 2003, 02:19 PM
It didn't start until I installed JCS94, so what runtimes do I have to uninstall?

Trafton

JCF Member

Jul 17, 2003, 02:29 PM
Perhaps you could check for a newer version of the Visual Basic runtimes. I am not sure of the exact version bundled with JCS 94. The newest ones probably fix this. You may have to uninstall all others if they are left behind, though. Worst case scenerio is that even uninstalling them leaves the problem, in which case you may be in trouble. The alternative worst case scenerio is a bit less worse, in that you may just waste your time when it is coincidence.

~ Traft

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jul 17, 2003, 02:47 PM
Thumbs up

If nothing else works, buy a new computer. It usually fixes the problem.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 17, 2003, 03:09 PM
I got some new runtimes, but it still freezes. How do I uninstall the old ones?

Trafton

JCF Member

Jul 17, 2003, 03:10 PM
It might be in Add and Remove Programs in the Control Panel. If it is not, you might want to try to look into what else it could be other than the runtimes.

~ Traft

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 17, 2003, 04:50 PM
I copied a ton of system files from one computer to this one. The mouse still freezes, but the IE "open in new window" problem is fixed.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 19, 2003, 08:02 AM
Alright, fixed it. All I had to do was switch to a USB mouse.

Dunno why, but it worked.