Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

seen some of the levels will never gon on j2o

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 15, 2015, 01:28 PM
I was just reading an article on urban exploration and abandoned underground stations, so the idea of something of an abandoned underground system resonated with me. The level looks fairly confusing though, with a lot of areas looking very similar. The problem with navigation via warps is that you lose track of where you are really quickly. I guess a good way to address that would be a minimap or something.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 15, 2015, 01:39 PM
I remember discussing tube systems with Violet once upon a time and reaching a conclusion that had Stonar had an abandoned underground (surely the hands have to come from somewhere), the trains would have been animal skeletons on tracks.
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Oct 15, 2015, 01:47 PM

Im still quite proud of this, and some other unreleased levels I've made. Obviously inspired by TR2.

Oh and one more.

I recall that while I originally started this level/tileset angelscript wasnt available. It didnt stop me from being creative (or stupid ) though, as I used a custom anims file where I deleted the player's blaster bullet sprites. Hence I managed to disable the infinite blaster. I also made a custom sprite for coins, making it look more like a gem, although I think I lost the anims file. Heh...

Last edited by snzspeed; Oct 15, 2015 at 02:15 PM.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Oct 15, 2015, 05:25 PM
Stijn: Agreed. If I return to it, I'll probably downplay warps in favour of more tubes, since that was the initial idea.
The samey look is mostly a result of the level still being unfinished; I planned on giving it a more varied look when some more levels were done(Perhaps even using a script to swap out the teleport sprite to make it look like Jazz is walking through doors, rather than teleporting through them). Basically, I really wanted to start work on level 2(Never did), which was going to involve tube junctions with switches to change directions. Kind of like the tram level of Half-Life, except faster and with more action between puzzles.

Cooba: Interesting.

SNZ: Wow.

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2015, 06:45 PM
Thought I had lost this set. Seems I wasnt looking hard enough.

You know what

"Picture City"

I've also found lots of unfinished/unused completed levels. I think that if I combined them all I could make a release or something.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 15, 2015, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post
You know what

Nice, is that water a textured background?

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2015, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
Nice, is that water a textured background?
Yes!

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 16, 2015, 02:54 AM
That looks very good!

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Oct 16, 2015, 11:07 PM
Quote:
You know what

I've also found lots of unfinished/unused completed levels. I think that if I combined them all I could make a release or something.
From where do you have that tileset? I want that tileset, can you give me a link? Or did you made it?

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2015, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
From where do you have that tileset? I want that tileset, can you give me a link? Or did you made it?
I made all those tileset's myself. They are unreleased but I could upload them in one pack, the thing is that most of them still need fixing/proper mask and updated tile layout.

Banned

SaVn is doing well so far

Oct 17, 2015, 05:10 AM
Quote:
You know what

"Picture City"

Nice levels!
SaVn

Banned

SaVn is doing well so far

Oct 17, 2015, 05:13 AM
Quote:

Im still quite proud of this, and some other unreleased levels I've made. Obviously inspired by TR2.

Oh and one more.

I recall that while I originally started this level/tileset angelscript wasnt available. It didnt stop me from being creative (or stupid ) though, as I used a custom anims file where I deleted the player's blaster bullet sprites. Hence I managed to disable the infinite blaster. I also made a custom sprite for coins, making it look more like a gem, although I think I lost the anims file. Heh...

It is similar to Kejero's TombRabbit 2

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 19, 2015, 01:38 AM
Quote:
You have to do this!

I'm sick of unused levels disappearing for years until somebody remembers to host their entire cache folder one night. Lots of amazing or simply very interesting levels, ideas, concepts have gone to waste that way and in 2015 we can not afford that.
proud2beamerican

JCF Member

proud2beamerican is doing well so far

Oct 19, 2015, 09:36 PM
Quote:
I would do something with that gray texture, as it looks completely out of place. IMO it's better to have simpler graphics than trying too hard to make it look realistic.

Quote:
IMHO interiors of the buildings are the most boring levels ever. No offense.

Quote:
You know what

"Picture City"

YES! That's what I want to see! Brave colors and 2D graphics full of platform-game like energy!
snzspeed

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2015, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
I would do something with that gray texture, as it looks completely out of place. IMO it's better to have simpler graphics than trying too hard to make it look realistic.
I started remaking the gray texture during sometime when the set was completed. It was far more simpler, and somewhat completed, but I had to change tile layout which made the level scrambled, which is why I didnt take a screenshot with that version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
IMHO interiors of the buildings are the most boring levels ever. No offense.
OK? IMHO They are usually good.

Quote:
YES! That's what I want to see! Brave colors and 2D graphics full of platform-game like energy!
These 2 shots were heavy WIP's so I guess final one would have had way more color.

Last edited by snzspeed; Oct 20, 2015 at 08:23 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 20, 2015, 11:51 PM
Some themed junk from 2002-2008. Most are example levels of one sort or another. Not sure anyone besides URJazz ever saw these... there's a backstory there but it's not mine to go into.

A Spelunky-inspired SP level that randomizes its layout every time you play it; you can also play this online (and you may have seen it hosted before), in which case all players will see the same layout. Health, ammo, and coins are all maintained across cycles, but when you die, all are reset. Carry Eva clones or purple gems to the exit for extra health/coins. Buttstomp objects in stores to buy them, but hope you have enough money to pay the cost. All done in 4.# AngelScript, before useful things like object behavior functions or custom net packets or bulk tile cache handling.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Oct 21, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 22, 2015, 09:03 AM

Not really an abandoned project, just a showcase of what possibilities the new JJ2+ offers with background. I didn't know where else to post this.
HERE'S THE FILE
WARNING! This level takes an insane amount of CPU, so make sure you have a powerful computer!

Administrator

Dec 23, 2015, 07:28 AM
Well done, that looks like a proper jungle!

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 23, 2015, 08:48 AM
Nice indeed! Maybe try expanding it by making the textured background look like a jungle puddle, using fadeposition and (perhaps) a different texture.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Dec 23, 2015, 12:58 PM
Beside the fact that some trees' quality is too low, it looks fantastic!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 27, 2016, 11:14 PM
A bunch of stuff, mostly from the early 2000's. Some finished (but unreleased) multiplayer levels, some example levels, a couple of eyecandy tests, the first ever mutator, and a script for a battle level that I never got around to making a layout for.

ETA: and here's this

Last edited by Violet CLM; Jan 28, 2016 at 12:14 AM.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 31, 2016, 07:24 AM
A colonius remake I was working on. It took me like 3 days just to draw this, so I give up.

Administrator

Mar 31, 2016, 07:55 AM
Looks very nice though. But it's also rather similar to the original, so maybe it wouldn't quite be worth the effort.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 31, 2016, 09:48 AM
The more you practice, the faster you get at art.

However, perhaps there are too many panels and bricks at once, making it tedious to work on. The other advantage of making it bigger and in smaller amounts, is that you can also add more detail into them.

I consider the optimal way to make tilesets is to keep features simple, then work the details into them (rather than the other way around).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 17, 2018, 12:27 PM
CheloniaV is a tiny battle level I made just for testing MLLE's JJ2+ features (while they were in development) but isn't really interesting on its own.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2018, 01:27 PM
With a little more work, it could be a small, proper duel level

JCF Veteran

Apr 17, 2018, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
but isn't really interesting on its own.
What does it matter? Please post it on J2O where JJ2 levels belong.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 25, 2020, 01:59 PM

Mighty Switch Test! 2! (out soon) is set in a series of discrete bits of blown apart spaceship, where you navigate from one to the next by using an airboard and bubble shield to get through the vacuum of space. That's taken from this 2005-era draft. Also featuring a cool sequence at the end (if you skip the inviting-looking tube) where you have to shoot destruct scenery blocks with the right timing to avoid death.