Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Third rating tier: up/downvotes?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 21, 2015, 12:24 PM
Third rating tier: up/downvotes?

Reviews are very, very hard to come by. On the theory that some feedback is better than none, is it perhaps time to allow simple single-click upvoting/downvoting of uploads? With even less weight than quick reviews for calculating the overall score, of course. The rating count could be reintroduced to the downloads index to make this more meaningful.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 21, 2015, 03:34 PM

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 21, 2015, 04:23 PM
I'm all for this. Even the most basic of feedback such as "I enjoyed this upload" can still be meaningful, and although I'd love to write full reviews, I rarely the get the time and the inspiration/motivation to do so.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 22, 2015, 01:21 AM
Are we, as humanity, at the point in ages where typing out "I liked this" is too much effort?

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 22, 2015, 01:56 AM
Well, there've been exactly three reviews in August so far, so yes, apparently so. (And also no, of course not, J2O isn't humanity and if more people had been writing reviews already then more people would be inspired to do so themselves, but we have an existing culture of inactivity to overcome here.) However, the only one that gave a rating was "I love it!" That's basically equivalent to "I liked this." That same review also worried it might be deleted for being too short.

A month ago you removed a 1.2 rating for a tileset with no example level because you worried the rater hadn't downloaded the tilesets... which were fully visible in J2O's tileset preview mode. No, not the masks, but did they really matter for those particular tilesets?

I understand the point you're making that the same goal can be achieved using the existing code. That's true. But some shift in expectations/requirements has to happen for it to work. I personally think the simplest way of conveying that shift would be giant up and down arrow buttons or some similar visual elements, but I could certainly be wrong.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 22, 2015, 02:33 AM
I think I might have pressed an up or down arrow once on some site. Wasn't particularly interesting and probably won't do it again.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Aug 22, 2015, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Are we, as humanity, at the point in ages where typing out "I liked this" is too much effort?
Given that even IETF mailing lists are full of "+1" replies these days, apparently so.

(animemusicvideos has an interesting way to encourage more reviews: after downloading something like 10 videos, you must review some of them before you can download any more. I'm not sure if it actually results in more reviews or just less downloads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I personally think the simplest way of conveying that shift would be giant up and down arrow buttons or some similar visual elements, but I could certainly be wrong.
Facebook like buttons?

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Aug 22, 2015, 03:09 AM
Sounds like a great idea

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 22, 2015, 09:25 AM
The problem with the number rating system is that it's arbitary and complex. What means 7 as "good" to someone, may be perceived as bad by another. Some think there's no such thing as perfection, so they rate anything "good enough" a 9 or a 10.

If you're wondering, I think there is such a thing as perfection but it's very hard to achieve. 7 means decent to me.

Lets not forget the stupid (bite me) highly rated reviews that are there for the newbie author to feel good, but waste everyone elses time who are looking for actual quality uploads. Your first uploads are likely going to suck - and that's fine, no need for butt patting.

So I support the idea. Maybe even a "Kind of like this" button too, for those uploads that are just truly run of the mill, or just have good ideas and not so good execution, which still makes them worth checking out, just not something to immerse yourself into.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 22, 2015, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
So I support the idea. Maybe even a "Kind of like this" button too, for those uploads that are just truly run of the mill, or just have good ideas and not so good execution, which still makes them worth checking out, just not something to immerse yourself into.
So ★, ★★, and ★★★?

Last edited by Violet CLM; Aug 22, 2015 at 02:22 PM.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 23, 2015, 04:49 AM
Quote:
So ★, ★★, and ★★★?
If you want, though numbers of anything can be interpret other ways to some people.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 23, 2015, 06:05 AM
Quote:
So ★, ★★, and ★★★?
Ah, we're "downgrading" to J2C. Nice!

Seriously though, I believe it's a very good idea having this one-click rating system. It's simplicity may encourage more biased clicks yet it also encourages members to actually call out their opinions quickly without worrying about their review (or even quick review) being productive or not.

I don't really mind the latest reviewing trend with fewer, less informative, but more overrated reviews. For example my latest download has 1 quick review handing out a 10. I believe it's far from perfect and not worth that number, yet the wording was informative enough to make me feel satisfied, giving me the motivation to keep going and improve.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 23, 2015, 08:03 AM
This would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
And the award for best post of 2015 goes to...

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Dec 8, 2017, 05:20 PM
sure!

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
Mike_1990

JCF Member

Mike_1990 is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2017, 07:53 AM
I think the times ask for it, even though lot of veterans here probably won't like the idea.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 10, 2017, 11:22 AM
I like it but it's not that easy to implement right now so it'll come at a later date