Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Tying forum and site login?

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Nov 15, 2016, 04:08 AM
Thumbs up Tying forum and site login?

Would be possible to make it so there's single login for all of J2O, both site and forums? As in, unifying user database and login cookies of those two?
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Nov 15, 2016, 08:32 AM
Technically yes, but it's probably not going to happen, since there is considerable overlap between the two databases (username-wise) and most of those accounts are inactive, meaning we can't ask the users themselves to indicate which accounts could be merged.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Nov 17, 2016, 01:27 AM
Its too late.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2016, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
most of those accounts are inactive, meaning these users probably don't care which accounts could be merged.
FTFY.

Seriously, if someone haven't visited site in years, they probably don't care what'll happen anyway, all you'd need to do is for "conflicting" accounts that can't be contacted to send them e-mail that basically says "okay, listen. We've tried to contact you whether you want to merge JCF account into J2O account or vice versa, but since we've been unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time, your forum login is now your J2O login".

As for users who don't have either J2O or JCF account, here merge is easier.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Nov 17, 2016, 06:22 AM
But then, if I get banned from the JCF, wouldn't that mean that I'm banned from J2O as well? Y'know, because it's the same account then.

Well I'm sure Stijn could figure it all out, but to me it sounds like too much pain for something that non of us necessarily need.

Also, some users could probably be using diffirent emails now.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Nov 17, 2016, 10:26 AM
I'd rather the wiki (Earlong Royal encyclopedia) be made functional again for already. It's been down for years. Linking users accounts would be too much effort for little reward.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2016, 11:16 AM
Ah, yeah. The wiki does sound like better effort. I hope enough people would actually bother writing a detailed wiki page, though.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Nov 17, 2016, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Seriously, if someone haven't visited site in years, they probably don't care what'll happen anyway, all you'd need to do is for "conflicting" accounts that can't be contacted to send them e-mail that basically says "okay, listen. We've tried to contact you whether you want to merge JCF account into J2O account or vice versa, but since we've been unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time, your forum login is now your J2O login".
No, because people's e-mails may be outdated, or they may have private data in their personal messages, and merging would give someone access to the private messages of both accounts, and allow them to edit/delete contributions by both accounts, which is something that really should be avoided.

Sure, you can come up with something to counter that, like deleting PMs for accounts that seem dead, or making their downloads read-only, but is that worth it? People do sometimes come back after years, even if it happens rarely.

There is no easy way out. There are ways out, but at this point it's probably not worth the effort.

Quote:
But then, if I get banned from the JCF, wouldn't that mean that I'm banned from J2O as well? Y'know, because it's the same account then.
No, probably JCF access would be another privilege linked to the account which could be toggled separately. Hypothetically.

Quote:
I'd rather the wiki (Earlong Royal encyclopedia) be made functional again for already. It's been down for years. Linking users accounts would be too much effort for little reward.
I have a functional copy of the wiki running locally, but the problem is that its code is incompatible with the site as it's currently running. I'd need to spend a week or two either integrating it or porting the rest of the site as well, which might happen, but it's hard to make predictions about when that would be.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2016, 05:25 PM
Couldn't we just put up wiki on Wikia? I mean, no reason to host it ourselves and worry about all that server nonsense and compatibility more than already, when there are free wiki hosting solutions, such as Wikia.

All that would be needed is to copy articles manually.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Nov 17, 2016, 09:38 PM
There is a Jazz wikia, but no one uses it. It's also not as professional looking and is missing a lot of historic information.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Administrator

Nov 18, 2016, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of moving things off-site. If that's the route to go then we might as well host a Mediawiki instance ourselves, though with the work that entails it'd probably still be a better choice to use the updated version of our own homegrown wiki system.

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2017, 02:38 PM
Although, I'd like this for my account. Is there a way to do this, in case some people request it for their profiles?

Administrator

Feb 9, 2017, 04:26 PM
Nope, sorry.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:17 PM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Member

Dec 3, 2017, 02:38 PM
Would you look at that... Looks like I did it again, first JJ thing, then this... I've thought I've made this thread but wasn't sure. What a boost to my already larger than the universe ego. Thank you for necroing it, whoever did that. Now I have even more ground for my claim that I always get what I want. I wanted this and it happened. I wanted JJ and JJ2 on GoG and that happened as well. Now I want PiS gone from power in Poland. Obviously, this will happen the next election, no matter how they try to cheat during it. Because I want it.

Now, you may think I'm a little full of myself. I want you to reconsider, because you are seriously wrong on this one.

I am extremely full of myself.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

JCF Member

Dec 5, 2017, 02:34 AM
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Dec 5, 2017, 01:05 PM
Why I can't send private messages on this forum to rest of users? I want to know why admin did it.

Administrator

Dec 5, 2017, 04:24 PM
Forum private messages are not (easily) accessible until I make up my mind on how to merge J2O and the forum's messaging systems. The Jazz2Online messaging system is easily reachable via the envelope at the top right of the page, though.

But in your case, ask yourself whether you really need to send people private messages. Generally, people don't appreciate long, rambling questions about random subjects out of the blue.
luke11685

Banned

Dec 5, 2017, 05:21 PM
Yes I want to send private message to you Stijn so I can talk you for example what films you watched and video games you played and vice versa just like friends in virtual life.I mean only on this forum and I think sometimes I'm talking too much that's why I can't send pm no longer I already sent some to admin Stijn, but it's looking like not being logged in.

JCF Member

Dec 6, 2017, 03:00 AM
Private messaging here is still a thing?
luke11685

Banned

Dec 19, 2017, 10:58 AM
I would like to talk about one thing which is reason Stijn deleted my comment I mean forbidden discussion about official Jazz Jackrabbit fanfest. I should send private message this to him.Why I can't talk about it on this forum? Maybe it will make sense in future?