Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Contest: Summertime Jazziness!

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

May 10, 2018, 12:23 AM
Wink Contest: Summertime Jazziness!

Oh boy, it's the first time I'm actually creating a JJ2 level making contest. This makes me feel very anxious but I hope it will be well received by you, the JJ community.

"Summertime Jazziness!" is a Single Player level contest with emphasis on things that are related to summer and the summer holiday. There are a lot of possible themes for this: the beach, mountain trips, pool parties, the exaggeratedly hot weather and so on.
  • First place gets a 25€ Steam Card!
  • If there will be more than 4 contestants, there will be a second place as well: A 10€ Steam Card!
  • And if there will be more than 8 contestants (which I highly doubt), the third place prize is going to be a 5€ Steam Card!

The (current) deadline of this contest is July 1st!

Possible questions you may have about this contest:

Q: What size should the level be?
A: Medium-large is the recommended size, even though any size is accepted.

Q: Is AngelScript allowed?
A: Yes! I highly recommend using AS to enhance the gameplay and/or visuals of your level.

Q: What if I want to work on a level with another community member?
A: Sure! If the winning level is made by two people, I can split the prize in... almost half. One of them is going to take more, sorry! Also, two people is the limit for one level.

Q: Isn't the "summer" theming a bit too vague?
A: If you're not sure about whether the theme you have in mind fits for this contest, just ask me! Leave a post on this thread and I will give you an answer. If you want to ask me in private, send me a message on Discord: Primpy#8692

Q: How are the winners going to be decided?
A: I'll discuss about it with other members of the community. Or maybe by letting the forum members vote? I'm not sure, maybe the latter.

Q: Aren't you, like, 17 years old? Where do you get the money from?
A: I happen to develop a Roblox game which brings me a monthly revenue. Don't worry, I'm not stealing them for my parents or anything like that

Q: Why does it have to be Steam cash and not actual money?
A: I am not legally allowed to have a PayPal account (I mean, I will, in 3 months by now but still...) and the alternative methods of sending money are too complex and costly. However, if you don't use Steam and/or want money on another platform (GOG.com for example), I'm okay with that. Just tell me about it.

If your question was not answered above, please post it on this thread. I hope this contest turns out well, it's also an attempt to keep the remaining JJ community active. Excuse my English, I'm not the best at it. I hope to see lots of entries!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

Last edited by Primpy; May 10, 2018 at 12:39 AM.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

May 10, 2018, 01:49 AM
I’m in
Old May 10, 2018, 02:59 AM
luke11685
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: The usual

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

May 10, 2018, 03:59 AM
Thank you for doing this!!

IN

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 11, 2018, 07:28 AM
this is very cool primpy!

Ill try!

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

May 14, 2018, 03:21 AM
Nice idea! I'll try to come up with something.

JCF Member

happygreenfrog has disabled reputation

May 14, 2018, 06:21 AM
Oooooh, sounds neat!

I don't know for sure if I'll be able to make the deadline, but I'll see if I can whip something up for this regardless...

JCF Member

ForthRightMC has disabled reputation

May 18, 2018, 04:50 AM
This is a very good Idea! I'll try to think something that could be in the contest level and construct it.

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2018, 09:05 AM
Just a reminder, this contest is still happening. One month to go until the deadline!

JCF Member

Jun 22, 2018, 08:01 AM
Contest Update

So far, there isn't a single submission for Summertime Jazziness. That's reasonable, everyone has their own schedules and maybe some of you were waiting for the summer holiday in order to start working on your project. Thus, the new deadline is July 14th, though I would not mind if you submit your level two-three days after the deadline (Please do not do that unless your project is very close to being finished and you just want to add some extra polish to it).

As for deciding the winner(s), I believe that the community should vote their favorite level. Voting starts on July 20th and ends on July 27th. The reason why there's a time gap between the deadline and voting is because that's enough time for the community to get a taste of each submitted level and pick their favorites (if not, there's plenty of time until July 27th). If you don't like this method of deciding the winner(s), please tell me about, I'm open to hearing your suggestions.

Old Jun 30, 2018, 05:30 AM
Primpy
This message has been deleted by Primpy. Reason: Reposted.

JCF Member

Bloody_Body is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2018, 02:21 PM
A good idea for a contest! I love summer. If I wasn't busy at the moment I would participate too.
P.S. Your English is surprisingly good, but I'm not a native speaker to judge. My English is worse than yours.

JCF Member

Jul 4, 2018, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Body View Post
A good idea for a contest! I love summer. If I wasn't busy at the moment I would participate too.
That really is a shame, I'm a fan of your Single Player levels

Quote:
P.S. Your English is surprisingly good, but I'm not a native speaker to judge. My English is worse than yours.
Thanks! My English is just decent, I'd say yours is pretty good as well

JCF Member

Jul 5, 2018, 01:20 PM
When is the deadline? 14th of July? I still have one week... Oh well, maybe I'll make something till that time, but I don't promice. If I do, the level will be small and without ambitions for the 1st prize. Just for fun!
You see, I've noticed this post only 2 days ago.

JCF Member

Jul 6, 2018, 03:46 AM
Quote:
When is the deadline? 14th of July? I still have one week... Oh well, maybe I'll make something till that time, but I don't promice. If I do, the level will be small and without ambitions for the 1st prize. Just for fun!
You see, I've noticed this post only 2 days ago.
It sucks that you noticed the post so late, maybe I should've messaged you regarding the contest :P
Well, yeah, feel free to try to make a level in 8 days, though that sounds a bit difficult.

JCF Member

Jul 7, 2018, 03:49 AM
I'm going to see if I can finish something quite short and simple in time but I can't make any guarantees. Would it be too much to ask for another extension (lets say to 31st July)? I'm sure other people would appreciate that too

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jul 7, 2018, 05:55 AM
I'm out of the contest . Even if I do finish my level in some way by the 14th it just wouldn't be as nearly as fun as I wanted it to be. It would probably be the dullest level here.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2018, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
So far, there isn't a single submission for Summertime Jazziness. That's reasonable, everyone has their own schedules and maybe some of you were waiting for the summer holiday in order to start working on your project. Thus, the new deadline is July 14th, though I would not mind if you submit your level two-three days after the deadline (Please do not do that unless your project is very close to being finished and you just want to add some extra polish to it).

As for deciding the winner(s), I believe that the community should vote their favorite level. Voting starts on July 20th and ends on July 27th. The reason why there's a time gap between the deadline and voting is because that's enough time for the community to get a taste of each submitted level and pick their favorites (if not, there's plenty of time until July 27th). If you don't like this method of deciding the winner(s), please tell me about, I'm open to hearing your suggestions.
New deadline: August 1st.
Voting starts on August 8th. (which is my birthday, btw)

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2018, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
I'm out of the contest .
Hey, Jelly Jam, don't give up! There is plenty of time now.

As for me, I won't ease off because of the deadline's delay, I'm going to finish my small level till 14th as it was planned. So I'll have more time on testing and improvements.

Last edited by Bloody_Body; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 05:35 AM
Primpy
This message has been deleted by Primpy. Reason: Updated.

JCF Member

Roobar is an asset to this forum

Jul 18, 2018, 09:45 PM
I associate summer with beaches and stuff. How could no one have submitted a beach level?

JCF Member

Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobar View Post
I associate summer with beaches and stuff. How could no one have submitted a beach level?
I'm working on one right now

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 29, 2018, 12:15 AM
Is there a specific time (and time zone) on August 1st that submissions are due by?

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2018, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Is there a specific time (and time zone) on August 1st that submissions are due by?
Not really. And now that I notice that PJ and Blacky didn't finish their entries, I'll extend it once again. I really don't know when to put the deadline this time, I just want everyone to have enough time to finish their levels.

Deadline extended... indefinitely? I don't really know, as long as the deadline is at least one or two weeks before the summer ends, I'm fine with it.

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2018, 02:44 AM
In one hand, the more time you have the more likely it is that you'll delay everything for the last moment. So, I guess, infinite extention of the deadline wouldn't motivate people to work faster.

In the other hand, I'd like to see more than 2 participants so I could compete with strong rivals like PJ or somebody else.

It's up to you, but maybe you should contact other participants to figure out how much time it would take them to finish their levels and thus to come up with the very last dedline's delay

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 31, 2018, 10:09 AM
Personally I've been aiming for August 1st and am going to be on time almost no matter the time zone, but PJ is currently estimating September 1st and (last I heard) blacky was not optimistic about finishing in a timely fashion at all.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jul 31, 2018, 02:11 PM
My level is about 2/3rds done and has been that way for several weeks now, I just completely lost interest in making anything in JCS and neglected working on it. If I find motivation to continue it again I suppose i'll be on pace to finish around the same time as PJ if not earlier. I started it shortly after Blade released Aztec 2 and intend it to be a dedication to him, so I was working on it at my own pace and never really with the contest in mind. Here's a sneak peek and some proof that such level actually exists : https://imgur.com/a/9Ou5bpW (everything still WIP of course)

It would be so nice if I could actually finish it in time for this contest, but I don't expect the deadline to be extended just to include this as an entry. It seems that you have already extended it in part because you were waiting for me, so I'm really sorry about that.

JCF Member

Jul 31, 2018, 02:11 PM
Upon discussing with PurpleJazz, I decided to extend the deadline, for the last time, to August 14th (until 11:59:59 PM EEST). Sorry for all the trouble, it's difficult to estimate how much one will spend on their submission. I will no longer extend the deadline, promise.

Also, Blacky, from a visual standpoint, your level looks gorgeous.

JCF Member

Roobar is an asset to this forum

Aug 2, 2018, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
I will no longer extend the deadline, promise.
OK I'll come back in Christmas looking for a Winter Jazziness topic .

JCF Member

Aug 7, 2018, 03:00 AM
One week left~!

JCF Member

Aug 7, 2018, 07:40 AM
Don't you have to update Submissions List, Primpy? Violet has recently uploaded his contest level.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 08:11 AM
Primpy
This message has been deleted by Primpy. Reason: Updated.

JCF Member

Aug 7, 2018, 09:41 AM
Also, 2 more contestants and there will be a second place as well! I'm sure there will be at least two more, so...

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2018, 04:29 PM
Yay for triple posting!

The deadline is tomorrow, August 14th. Voting starts on the same day as the deadline. You can vote your favorite entry until August 20th and you can only vote for one level. For the level creators that are still working on their submission: I'll allow submitting your entry during the voting period. It is, however, in your own disadvantage, as some people may have already voted another, already submitted entry instead of yours.

In order to vote, just send me a PM (J2O or Discord: Primpy#8692) with the name of the contest entry you are voting for (or the name of the level creator). I would do a JCF poll instead but... I have no idea how, sorry. Normally, I would say something about not asking friends unfamiliar with the game to vote for one of the levels. Honestly, I doubt this will happen so, yeah... The votes will be published on August 21st on this thread (if I wasn't clear enough, Aug 20th is the last voting day). Winners' prizes will most likely be given out in the same day as the vote results.

Once again, I would like to apologize for the poor contest organization and the delays. I might have been a bit delusional and neglected the fact that people have busy lives and that a JJ2 Single Player level takes a lot of time and effort. I hope that in the end, this contest made the Jazz Jackrabbit community at least a little bit more active than it was before.

Thank you and good luck to the contestants!

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2018, 06:52 PM
Submissions List

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 13, 2018, 11:07 PM
(Vote here!)

JCF Member

Aug 21, 2018, 09:23 AM
Results!

And the winner is...

*drum rolls*

"Emeraldus V" made by Violet CLM!
Congratulations!

The votes will be available to see soon™. Thank you all for participating!

Voting Results:
  • EmeraldusV: 6
  • What in the Blazes?: 2
  • Psychomondus: 1