Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

"jjk" cheat code / command breaks gameplay

Alchemek

JCF Member

Alchemek has disabled reputation

Jun 4, 2022, 09:48 AM
"jjk" cheat code / command breaks gameplay

Hello,

I have a tendency to remap controls on every game I play, so Jazz 2 is no exception. I have long been a fan of Jazz 2, but apparently when I was younger and played the game, I never remapped the keys (who knows why). So I'm only now discovering this major inconvenience: If you type "jjk" while you are playing, it causes you to die instantaneously and lose one life. Totally unplayable if you remap your keys to j and k to move your character. I wouldn't have to use j and k if other selections were available, but they are not: a lot of keys map as "unknown", so I don't have those as options.

Let me be a little more specific: if I am playing the game, and I have j mapped to left and k mapped to down, and I happen to press left twice and down once, I instantly die and lose one life. Jazz 2 is unplayable when I have a mapped key scheme like this, but this is one of the more convenient ones to map: mapping more to the left puts my hands too close together; mapping more to the right is uncomfortable or not possible.

Is there a way to fix this problem in particular? Or disable all cheat codes? Or add more keys to map? Or something?

I am running JJ2+ and 1.25 via GOG.

Thank you!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 4, 2022, 11:05 AM
Are you comfortable using a hex editor? JJ2's cheat codes begin at address 841092/0xCD584 in jazz2.exe. You should be able to find the jjk string from there and overwrite it with something you don't think you're likely to type by accident.

JCF Member

Alchemek has disabled reputation

Jun 5, 2022, 01:59 PM
This totally fixed the problem; I was able to replace "jjk" with some other letters on the keyboard with no issues. Thank you very much!
Closed Thread