Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JDC 24 Logo Contest

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 1, 2015, 04:16 PM
JDC 24 Logo Contest

Rules:
1. The image must be exactly 385 × 130 pixels.
2. It should fit within the colour scheme of the site and be at least somewhat related to the competition aspect of JJ2.
3. You are free to submit as many entries as you like. If you have submitted an entry to a previous contest and it was never used, you may resubmit it.
4. The contest stays open until a logo is picked.

Our wonderful previous logos:

The number 24 does NOT have to be included on the logo but it's nice to see nonetheless. If you feel that it does not fit your design then feel free to ignore it - and it makes your logo more likely to be picked up for season 25!

Get to work everyone, we hope to see some killer logos!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 1, 2015, 10:40 PM
obviously

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Aug 2, 2015, 02:14 AM
There you go!

I hope you like the logo
The background picture is from ShadowGpW's "War of the Bunnies for Life!" battle JJ2 level.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

Last edited by Primpy; Aug 2, 2015 at 03:34 AM.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 2, 2015, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Our wonderful previous logos:
I like the file naming convention used.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 2, 2015, 03:28 AM
My reactions to this thread so far:

"lol"
"Pretty cool"
"lol"

Who Will be the Next Pretty Cool Post? Good luck to you all!

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Aug 2, 2015, 06:36 AM

It took me 22 years to develop my artistic skills but I'm quite satisfied about the result.
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 2, 2015, 06:41 AM

Last edited by PurpleJazz; Aug 8, 2015 at 01:56 PM.
master sven

JCF Member

master sven is doing well so far

Aug 2, 2015, 07:37 AM

Decided to approach the JDC with the view of nowadays community :P

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/th3a.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
Old Aug 2, 2015, 08:29 AM
Appels
This message has been deleted by Appels.

JCF Member

Appels is notorious for his worthless posts

Aug 2, 2015, 08:29 AM

I won, 'nuff said.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 2, 2015, 09:31 AM
Fancy graphical effects aren't my forte so just expect some hand drawn composition of Jazz, Spaz and Lori. And I've been drawing more recently so I should hope I actually make it this time.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Aug 2, 2015, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Fancy graphical effects aren't my forte...
I'm not really good at it either but I can try giving you a hand if you would like.

JCF Member

Aug 2, 2015, 05:23 PM
Ok the sketch is done. Spaz looks a bit off (I suck at anatomy and he looks like he just came out of a tumble dryer) and I'm not 100% sure about how I drew Lori;

Not sure where the letters will go. If they do, it should be translucent.

Also, here's a very accurate representation of big JDC events: It started melting my eyes, so I put it in it's own corner.

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 3, 2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: i've had enough of that eyesore.

JCF Member

Aug 3, 2015, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Aaaaand we lost. It looks really good

JCF Veteran

Aug 3, 2015, 01:46 AM
Ok people, at this point over 50% of the logos submitted are shitty MSPaint jokes, I'm going to have to put my foot down and tell you to stop wasting everybody's time please.

Treya, that sketch looks great.
PrinceOthman

JCF Member

PrinceOthman is doing well so far

Aug 3, 2015, 06:28 PM
Thumbs up The JDC 24

Here's my first go! The idea is, since there's a lot of players, I put a lot of rabbits, and they're all fighting at the same time so you can barely keep up.

JCF Member

Aug 3, 2015, 07:11 PM
I don't see anything.

EDIT: Here I fixed it:

My thoughts on it: It feels cluttered and clashes with the colour scheme. Also, why does it need "The"?

I also really dislike the Lori shooting sprite. I know it's in-game but it's very inconsistent with the rest of her sprites and general design. I actually made my own version a while ago

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 3, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
PrinceOthman

JCF Member

PrinceOthman is doing well so far

Aug 3, 2015, 08:01 PM
Arrow

Added a filter to the background so it would match the color scheme.

The reason why I put "The" in there is so that it can fit better, if I put just "JDC 24" there would be a lot of empty space on both sides. Thanks for the feedback though. Anyway, if mine gets accepted or not, it's all good, at least I tried.

Last edited by PrinceOthman; Aug 3, 2015 at 08:20 PM.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Aug 6, 2015, 07:12 AM

Ok, here is mine. I think it looks good enough.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 8, 2015, 08:58 AM
Check out the archive of previous logo contests for some inspiration.

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2015, 06:37 PM
I gave up (given if the 15th is the deadline).

It's simply too late to continue and I am deprived of sleep enough. But I guess to some eyes It may appear as finished to them, asides from the lack of JDC signage, which was intended to be placed at the middle bottom.

Lori was finished, Jazz was almost finished, Spaz is not finished. To finish them I needed to colour the lines and anti alias them. Never again am I attempting coloured lines on characters to such a degree. It takes too long and it makes them look like they came out from some disney DVD cover (which is not the intention).
"But why did you do coloured lines then?" because I underestimated how long it would take, and by the time I thought that it wasn't worth the effort, I had worked into colouring lines too much that there was no going back.

I tried to tone down the garishness of the yellow..but it didn't work out so well. Likewise I lost the motivation to further tweak the pallette when the logo wasn't turning out well either. I simply didn't have the time to fine tune anymore.

I'm dissapointed with myself.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Aug 15, 2015, 12:50 AM
Quote:
I gave up (given if the 15th is the deadline).

It's simply too late to continue and I am deprived of sleep enough. But I guess to some eyes It may appear as finished to them, asides from the lack of JDC signage, which was intended to be placed at the middle bottom.

Lori was finished, Jazz was almost finished, Spaz is not finished. To finish them I needed to colour the lines and anti alias them. Never again am I attempting coloured lines on characters to such a degree. It takes too long and it makes them look like they came out from some disney DVD cover (which is not the intention).
"But why did you do coloured lines then?" because I underestimated how long it would take, and by the time I thought that it wasn't worth the effort, I had worked into colouring lines too much that there was no going back.

I tried to tone down the garishness of the yellow..but it didn't work out so well. Likewise I lost the motivation to further tweak the pallette when the logo wasn't turning out well either. I simply didn't have the time to fine tune anymore.

I'm dissapointed with myself.
You could make this logo for JDC 25.

JCF Member

Aug 15, 2015, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Well, uhh, it's not bad for sure but I and I think everyone expected it to turn out different. It's alright though, at least Jazz looks very nice

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 15, 2015, 06:39 AM
Treya, don't be disappointed with yourself. We all need some sleep and we all better learn from our mistakes instead of moaning about them. You now had first hand experience with colored lines and realized it's not your thing, as well as it being too time consuming.

If I were you, I'd finish the logo for either a later JDC or a different occasion, now that there is virtually no deadline anymore.

Oh one more thing, Jazz's left ear will look cutoff if used as the logo on JDC like this. Then again, such hand-drawn art is amazing enough for a mere logo for it to be a bother.

JCF Member

Aug 15, 2015, 07:02 AM
I didn't even notice that my logo was the chosen one. Thank you for picking mine, it's a honor for me

JCF Member

Aug 15, 2015, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Well, uhh, it's not bad for sure but I and I think everyone expected it to turn out different. It's alright though, at least Jazz looks very nice
Define "different". You can't speak for everyone, especially if you don't make an actual point.

Seriously though, if you want to make complaints, give reasons why (and ideally how to fix it too), otherwise I potentially end up changing areas people are fine with, thus wasting my time.

I think it's better than the sketch which had some odd proportions, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Treya, don't be disappointed with yourself. We all need some sleep and we all better learn from our mistakes instead of moaning about them. You now had first hand experience with colored lines and realized it's not your thing, as well as it being too time consuming.

If I were you, I'd finish the logo for either a later JDC or a different occasion, now that there is virtually no deadline anymore.

Oh one more thing, Jazz's left ear will look cutoff if used as the logo on JDC like this. Then again, such hand-drawn art is amazing enough for a mere logo for it to be a bother.
Actually, I've done coloured lines before. I do that very often with tilesets. I was procastinating about the banner a lot, which led to me not finishing it.

And yes, I intend to finish it for next JDC. Probably early so I don't forget and get it done and over with. You can never finish too early!

I don't get the Jazz ear looks cut off complaint. It's the same case for Lori and Spaz. The resolution is the same as it always was for JDC banners.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 15, 2015, 11:48 AM
Quote:
I don't get the Jazz ear looks cut off complaint. It's the same case for Lori and Spaz. The resolution is the same as it always was for JDC banners.
When the right side of the logo 'blends in' with the site's navigation area, Jazz's left ear would look cut off. Many past logo's tried to fix this with gradients or more intuitive tricks. Again, I don't think it's such a bother in this case.

Oh, and congrats to Primpy for winning this season's logo.

JCF Member

Aug 16, 2015, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Define "different". You can't speak for everyone, especially if you don't make an actual point.

Seriously though, if you want to make complaints, give reasons why (and ideally how to fix it too), otherwise I potentially end up changing areas people are fine with, thus wasting my time.

I think it's better than the sketch which had some odd proportions, at least.
So sorry, I didn't mean to offend you! You shouldn't have even cared. It's just my terrible opinion, I'm not even close to an artist, my opinion is bad and insignificant.

I might be 100% wrong but here you go, this is what I don't like:

In the sketch Lori has a tough look. In the final (kinda) picture it's more of a cute-attractive look. Also, is it just me or this should go below her left eye, a little bit to the right (her left)? Overall it looks good though

I'm not sure what's wrong with Spaz. Maybe the eyes are a little too big or it has too much fur or... Sorry, I have no idea what's wrong here so I shouldn't complain. Maybe you should take a better and look at the Jazz 2 logo or whatever is it called.

Jazz is almost perfect. Maybe the outlines should be darker and a little thicker? I can't complain about it.

Once again, so sorry if you got offended. I didn't mean you're a bad artist or anything like that, it was just me being a little disappointed. I am not sure what I expected it to turn out but don't worry, it's a great WIP piece of art and you should finish it someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Oh, and congrats to Primpy for winning this season's logo.
Thanks! I didn't expect my logo to be chosen

JCF Member

Aug 16, 2015, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
So sorry, I didn't mean to offend you! You shouldn't have even cared. It's just my terrible opinion, I'm not even close to an artist, my opinion is bad and insignificant.

I might be 100% wrong but here you go, this is what I don't like:

In the sketch Lori has a tough look. In the final (kinda) picture it's more of a cute-attractive look. Also, is it just me or this should go below her left eye, a little bit to the right (her left)? Overall it looks good though

I'm not sure what's wrong with Spaz. Maybe the eyes are a little too big or it has too much fur or... Sorry, I have no idea what's wrong here so I shouldn't complain. Maybe you should take a better and look at the Jazz 2 logo or whatever is it called.

Jazz is almost perfect. Maybe the outlines should be darker and a little thicker? I can't complain about it.

Once again, so sorry if you got offended. I didn't mean you're a bad artist or anything like that, it was just me being a little disappointed. I am not sure what I expected it to turn out but don't worry, it's a great WIP piece of art and you should finish it someday
I'm not offended, it's just that criticising is no use if it's not constructive. People don't have to be great artists to critique my work - after all, it doesn't take a chef to taste bad food.

About the Lori cheek fur, I used this as a reference. If anything, the side you apparently don't have an issue with, actually bothers me. It looks much better pulled up. Changing her expression was somewhat accidental, but since I got the anti alias so perfect, I didn't really want to change it. But now that I'm not limited to a tight deadline, I may tweak it.

I'll make Spazzes eyes slightly smaller. However, I think his fur is fine. But I might change the teeth.

With the thin outlines on Jazz, sometimes it's because the shade beside it is very dark. The light outlines will appear darker on the outside once I anti-alias those parts. Nick's pixelart has thick outlines because well..he goes for some pillow shaded style. I wanted to go with a more solid light source, which results in thinner lines. I didn't want to spend time adding colours to the pallette, because you don't notice the lines beside the dark colours very much.

I'll post the changes later. Like uuh, next week maybe.