Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

The Unofficial Jazz 3 Patch

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Sep 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
You should put more work into blaster, it looks weird. Also, Jazz's arms are too thin.
Carpaintergeril Carpaintergeril's Avatar

JCF Member

Carpaintergeril is doing well so far

Sep 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
Its a Work In Progress stuff, but yeah the blaster will be more... detailed, or what.
And Jazz's scales are original, i leave the old games body-ratio. ...err really sorry about my English, i still learning.
Its a better pics about the Blaster:

Jazz Waponpose
upload photo

But thx, i will work on the blaster.

JCF Member

JazzGruff is an asset to this forumJazzGruff is an asset to this forum

Sep 25, 2012, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaintergeril View Post
Good work mister! Its hard to make things in UDK1, as long as i can remember... anyway i have some Jazz Jackrabbit model. Most of them is high poly made for UDK3, but maybe the lod, or the early ones are portable to UnrealED1.0... i made them in blender, i can export to PSK, if you interested...
Cool Story Bro
up pic

(sry about my English)
Heh, that looks awesome!
I wouldn't mind checking those out, although the thing with UE1 is that you can only use +- low poly models, so if you have any of those, that'd be perfect. UE1 can only use morph target type of animation. Because of this, the vertices are placed on a 3d grid, and they can only move a certain amount in any direction - this is why, if you take a closer look, the animations in a lot of UE1 games look kind of liquid-ish.

Besides, a really high poly model in UE1 wouldn't really look all that good, because the environments are so basic (It wouldn't go together that well). It'd be perfect for some pre-rendered graphics, though (Actually I'm planning on including something like that here and there).

Also, I'm still trying to port Jazz3 data over to Unreal 227, if that succeeds, I might actually end up using skeletal meshes, instead.

P.S.
Not entirely sure if PSK will do here, it's what UDK (UE3) reads, right?
How about some more tradicional file formats? I actually use Blender myself, so if you want, you can just use the source *.Blend file.

Last edited by JazzGruff; Sep 25, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Carpaintergeril Carpaintergeril's Avatar

JCF Member

Carpaintergeril is doing well so far

Sep 25, 2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks, i do my best, but im still learning.
I gladly send you an older .blend file. Where i send it?
Its an early but rigged one, with some issue, but it works i guess... It have some animation, and Morph.
But the textures... well... not too good, i already fix that in the recent versions (current 12.4, its 2.3).

I made some other JJ characters, like the "jumping frog-swordsman", and still making Spaz and Lori. But its really WiP so not much...
http://s5.postimage.org/577wtf13b/WIP09.png
http://s5.postimage.org/u1renhlxj/Frog3.png

(sorry again about my english)

Last edited by Carpaintergeril; Sep 30, 2012 at 05:49 AM.

JCF Member

Sep 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpaintergeril View Post
Thanks, i do my best, but im still learning.
I gladly send you an older .blend file. Where i send it?
You can use some free file hosting sites, like Mediafire, then just PM me the link.
Your work looks neat, actually =P.

It kind of inspired me to finally start working on that new Jazz model, and here's some of the progress i've got:
(Click to enlarge)

Also, you can check out the model itself in your browser right here:
http://p3d.in/YsIwz

No texture yet - This is extremely early in works, nothing too special at all.

Now, all this seems kind of interesting for me, but originally I made the hands like in Jazz 3 (Just a fist-like mesh with a texture applied on it ), instead of the fingers. This made me think about something - Do you guys really want this to be made on the Unreal engine?

I mean, I like working on this, and it is indeed fun and all that, but wouldn't it be better to have something a lot better on, let's say, the Unity3D engine?

What do you think? Maybe I should just focus on something like that instead?

JCF Member

Sep 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I think it should be moved to more general-use (and less outdated) engine. But I'd propose JMonkeyEngine. It's great Java-based engine (don't worry, performance of it is great, there are some pretty graphic-intense games made with it and they work smoothly), so you'll get multiplatform support with no effort (with Unity you'd have to export it for other platforms, with JME you just build JAR). Also JME supports Android.

Don't get me wrong, Unreal engine is powerful, there were some great things done with it (such as recent Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD), but it is mostly shooter-optimized.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 27, 2012, 01:01 PM
but jj3 is a shooter

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Sep 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
jj3 is a farming sim

JCF Member

Sep 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
No, jj3 is a tetris clone.

Well, I want to use Unity3D because I've already had some quite good experience with it, it is pretty easy to get levels in place and do some really complex work very quickly (For example, I can easily assign anything to any bone of any character in the scene, in a matter of seconds in a graphics based environment.).

JMonkeyEngine does look good enough, but I'm afraid I am not enough of a programmer to work with such engine (I assume it requrites more coding in Java than I'd require coding in Java Script in Unity3D).

Unlike Unity3D, Unreal has CSG, which is actually quite suited for this kind of project, so I might as well use Unreal 3, actually, but the damn thing is so slow I can't imagine myself working with it.

Anyway, if I end up working on something like that in a different engine, don't expect a ported JJ3. Instead, You can expect some of my patch characteristics to be in a project like that, but for the most part it is likely going to be a thing of its own, with its own title (It's probably for the better).

If this happens, I'll try to get Patch v1.3 out as soon as possible, and then focus on the new thing, instead, if it seems good enough.

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
but jj3 is a shooter
I've meant FPS.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 28, 2012, 09:35 AM
gears of war is a third-person shooter

Anyway, that's nonsense, there's a gazillion of non-FPS games made using the UE3, which would be weird if it somehow was not suitable for non-FPS games.

Last edited by Stijn; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM.

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2012, 11:22 AM
Then again, there are action games made with RPG Maker or even platformers made with Adventure Game Studio, so it doesn't prove anything.

//edit: My point is: Yes, you can do that, but prepare for big struggle because of wrong tool.

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
Actually there are a lot of different types of games made with the original Unreal engine, same with Unreal Engine 2.

Take a look at a game called "Rune", they used a modified version of UE1, but most of the things there can be done in the original UE1 as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNefri1Dy2M

I think they added actual skeletal animation support, along with the ability to do some procedural animations with the bones (Make the head look at items independently, for example, or the torso to turn left or right), along with some small changes and added features. Actually seems like a perfect engine to use for something like Jazz 3, since the characters would've have needed to aim with their weapons in multiple directions, makes me wonder how the guys at World Tree Games would've done it if Jazz 3 went deeper into development.

Actually speaking of Jazz 3 development, what is the area in the lower left corner of this image?

I don't seem to remember seeing that in any of the maps that came with the leaked alpha.

JCF Member

Oct 3, 2012, 08:14 AM
Sorry for double post.

Worked on my new Jazz model, and thought about trying to import it into Unreal.
I had some scaling problems at first (The model was too small - unreal joined a lot of the vertices together. It has a funny mesh system...), and then I spent years trying to figure out why it wouldn't update my model, but I finally got it working, only to realise I have some missing triangles going on here.

(Click to enlarge)

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with vertex limits (I tried to delete a part of the model - had the exact same areas missing), but rather something with the fact I mirrored the model to get both sides.

Either way, things seem to start to work out. Unreal also has a nifty feature of using multiple materials on one mesh. Basically I can now use a seperate texture for the backpack, for example.

This will let me use seperate textures for a lot of things, like the bandage, this way it'll be possible to easily let jazz wear different colored clothing, or have different colored fur - if things go along nicely, I'll try to implement this in the multiplayer (You can already change the color of your bandage and your fur, but only one texture is used, resulting into too many textures and difficult texture management - because of that you can just scroll through the available textures).
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Oct 5, 2012, 04:05 AM
Man, I need to stop being lazy and re-install JJ3.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Oct 7, 2012, 10:24 AM
Maybe you have normals flipped (for missing triangles)? If that's the case, recalculating normals outside in Blender (don't remember exact shortcut), should help.

JCF Member

Oct 7, 2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
Maybe you have normals flipped (for missing triangles)? If that's the case, recalculating normals outside in Blender (don't remember exact shortcut), should help.
No, if that was the case, I could just make the all triangles two faced, which might kind of fix the issue, however the triangles are just missing, but the vertices are still there.

It seems that the problem lies in mirroring the other side of the mesh, which is kind of wierd, I can't seem to fix that in any way. I can, however, work on meshes without animations - I'll try to add some more content that way.

Last edited by JazzGruff; Jun 12, 2013 at 08:21 AM.

JCF Member

JazzHunterXYZ is doing well so far

Nov 7, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGruff View Post
Sorry for double post.

Worked on my new Jazz model, and thought about trying to import it into Unreal.
I had some scaling problems at first (The model was too small - unreal joined a lot of the vertices together. It has a funny mesh system...), and then I spent years trying to figure out why it wouldn't update my model, but I finally got it working, only to realise I have some missing triangles going on here.

(Click to enlarge)
Wow, I hope that you will have no problems during the development of the patch and for this new model...

Project JAZZ T.A.S. at.. ..uhm... ..is cancelled, the project is f******g impossible for my """ability""".
The project was cancelled with a 25% of work, a work gone lost.

JCF Member

Nov 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Update:
* Finally got UnrealED 1.0 working just fine on my pc after my reinstall
* I finally figured out how to save mesh animation!
* I've changed the origin pivot for some of Jazz's animations (Like his swimming animation was under it for some reason..)

Next up - More animations for Jazz!

As for other characters, I still have to figure out a couple of things, like why mirroring the other side of my characters makes the triangles disappear after converting, but other than that I'd say it is possible to create those.

I'll try to add animations (Or more of them, if necessary) to other things, though, like trees and small plants.

Edit:
Here's a little test for an extra "Animation" I made for Jazz:

It's just one frame (I was too lazy to make an animation for this), but it works!

Last edited by JazzGruff; Nov 24, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Nov 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hey. I'm back, but not to tell anyone off, or get angry, or be mean and idiotic like I was earlier in this thread.
No, this time I am here to apologise for those very events. I was going through an irritable and obsessive phase, and some hard times. So, I started taking my anger out on other people. And I am very sorry for this. So, I hope at least some of you guys can accept my apology.

Anyway, getting back on topic, although I'm no expert in 3D modelling, I would just like to point out that maybe the program you're using has problems with flipping objects over a certain Poly Count? Or perhaps the program has issues with rendering flipped objects? Or maybe I'm completely getting the wrong end of the stick, but either way, I think it's probably a bug, and it might be something to do with the verison of Unreal JJ3 uses(Or whichever one you're using if you've ported it to a later version). I mean, you said yourself that you had problems getting it working at first, so maybe Unreal is still messing up. I suggest re-rendering or re-importing it. If it still has the same areas missing, that's one possibility eliminated, although if it either fixes it, or has different areas missing, that's the problem found, which usually makes finding the solution easier(Of course, since I have little knowledge concerning 3D Modelling, I could be looking at this entirely wrong, in which case, feel free to disregard my advice).

Anyway, good day/evening/night to you all.

JCF Member

Turboman is doing well so far

Nov 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hey there,

I stumbled on your thread on J2O and Oldunreal and I have to say I’m greatly impressed by your work, I’ve been a huge fan of the JJ3 project and I was hoping someone would continue it someday, seems my dreams are about to come true!

I was wondering if you would accept any help on this? I’d be glad to help out with some minor stuff, I have a fair amount of experience with unrealed and the first unreal engine, I can map, even do some textures, modelling and animating.

Just let me know what you think.

JCF Member

burnout92 is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2012, 06:01 AM
I never thought to JJ3 project is started again. My dream is come true if done this great game. But the 1.3 version is when shall be done?
Jon God

JCF Member

Jon God is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
Necroing, but I just visited this thread while going through my bookmarks, and wanted to throw in some props.

What you've done so far is pretty darn amazing!

-JG
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jan 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
I am so hyped for this. Well, to be fair, I've been hyped for Jazz 3 since 1999, but...

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 AM

It looks multiplayer is very cool, but at the console the bots showing errors.
Do you can fix it?

JCF Member

Jun 12, 2013, 08:18 AM
Hey guys!

I've been away for a pretty long time, it seems, and I hope it's not a serious crime here to revive an old thread like this?

Anyway, recently I decided to dig this project up again, and see what I can do with it, so here's some updates on things that I've already done or are in progress of making (Apologies if some of these were brought up already, I haven't been around for such a long time that I don't really remember anymore, sorry about that):

* Fixed up animations for Jazz
* New alternate animations for Jazz (The idle animation seemed a bit too "jumpy", so I replaced it with something a bit simpler)
* Some projectiles now act as light sources
* Alternative crosshair (A 2d one, in the middle of the screen, eventually I might actually turn this into the only crosshair... just might. But I'll try to make it as a toggleable alternative)
* Improved loading screen

Note that this thing was never cancelled, I just got carried away doing other things, and I was overall busy with college and whatnot.

Bottom line, you CAN expect 1.3 to come out sometime soon! =)

EDIT:
Here's a little screenshot of the progress I have so far: http://i.imgur.com/LPjf0Uy.jpg

You can see the 2D crosshair in the middle of the screen, and the 3d one further away in the level. So far the 2D crosshair easily changes the same way the 3d does, I just have to make Jazz shoot where the 2D one is pointing at, not the 3d one.

Like I said, I'll try to add the 2D crosshair as an alternative, and if so, I'll probably leave it as default (Since the 3D one is a bit confusing, actually).

Also, the new standing pose!
Don't mind the upside down gun, I think I broke something in the code at some point - I'll fix it as soon as possible, once I figure out how to!

Last edited by JazzGruff; Jun 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 12, 2013, 01:25 PM
Jazz looks more self-assured in the new standing pose! Keep up the good work, I'll be sure to play through 1.3 once you've released.

Maybe try to make the 2D crosshair (optionally) transparant? The 3D crosshair does indeed feel slightly off aim, but it did it's job of not being in the way, since Jazz3 was supposed to be a third person shooter.

Or more precisely, a third person action platformer with lotsa shooting.

JCF Member

Jun 13, 2013, 02:02 AM
I'd actually like to add a transparency option in the settings menu, but even if that doesn't get implemented, the 2D crosshair, like I said, can be changed, just like the 3d one, so you can easily switch to something smaller and less eye-catchy. I might also add one extra crosshair - A simple dot, perhaps.

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Jun 13, 2013, 10:18 AM
After Half Year, you are here.
Still waiting this day to play JJ3.
Before some days I tried to install this patch, but JJ3 didn't run so I needed to revert back to buggy client and leave it.

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Jun 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
Just want to say that it looks good so far and I appreciate the progress. If you can get the game to a usable state, it would serve as a good base for other fan projects.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Jun 23, 2013, 09:09 AM
Good work JazzGruff!

I hope are you done with the 1.3 in this summer.

JCF Member

Jul 16, 2013, 05:02 AM
Here's a little update video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fWjpu2FDQ
The changelog is in the description.

Note that the whole rotation-on-slopes feature will be used differently later on. For some reason I seem to be having issues in smoothing it out, but I'll mostly use this for boxes and objects of such nature.

Anyway, While I do see quite a bit of interest in this project, I still feel I'm not getting anywhere far enough. That's not to say I'd like to leave this project, but I was hoping for more involvement from others.

What does this mean? Well, I've talked about this before, but I'm seriously considering moving onto a different Jazz Jackrabbit themed project, on a different engine.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jul 17, 2013, 01:00 AM
I'd help out if I had any sort of skill that would be usable here.

JCF Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
I think the Unreal engine is good for this game. Because nice looking and friendly system requirements. If you change engine is taken too many time. I think doesn't matter the graphics if good the gameplay.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Here's a little update video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9fWjpu2FDQ
The changelog is in the description.
Your changes seen in the video look good so far.

I don't have any programming, Unreal, or art skills to help you with this project, yet I really appreciate such work on a game that was never be.

Did you add the moving butterflies in the village? I don't remember such small details be there.

JCF Member

Jul 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone, but what I meant by moving over to a new engine, was just starting a completely new project altogether. I'd probably borrow some parts from Jazz3, but as a whole, it would be a thing of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout92 View Post
I think the Unreal engine is good for this game. Because nice looking and friendly system requirements. If you change engine is taken too many time. I think doesn't matter the graphics if good the gameplay.
Well, it's not really about having better graphics. I'd actually love to work with UE1, if only it wasn't so aggravatingly difficult to work with.
Unity isn't all that bad, actually, it's fast and easy to work with. The big thing for me would be the absence of a CSG editor (Basically the part that allows you create level geometry with ease in UnrealED).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Did you add the moving butterflies in the village? I don't remember such small details be there.
Nope, those were there since the beginning. :P
I can probably add more, if you want.

JCF Member

Oct 23, 2013, 10:11 AM
Could you zip up models (just models) and post them somewhere? Mainly Jazz/Spaz/Lori, Eva and generic turtle model. I need a reference to do my own, and Jazz prites/fanart just doesn't work for it.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 24, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
Could you zip up models (just models) and post them somewhere? Mainly Jazz/Spaz/Lori, Eva and generic turtle model. I need a reference to do my own, and Jazz prites/fanart just doesn't work for it.
You do realise that those models were never actually made, right? The best references are the high-res in game artwork in JJ2, and some official artwork lying around. Image search usually finds the official artwork first.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
abraker

JCF Member

abraker is doing well so far

Oct 24, 2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Thanks everyone, but what I meant by moving over to a new engine, was just starting a completely new project altogether. I'd probably borrow some parts from Jazz3, but as a whole, it would be a thing of its own.

Unity isn't all that bad, actually, it's fast and easy to work with. The big thing for me would be the absence of a CSG editor (Basically the part that allows you create level geometry with ease in UnrealED).
I'm scared that moving to a new engine would be time consuming and you might quit. But if you think you won't let us down even then, go on and pick a good one!

Unity is good for somethings, but I don't see me favoring it. I favor the Irrlicht C++ library, but if you are looking for a GUI game development environment, then a google search gave me this:
http://nuverian.net/2011/01/17/the-b...me-developers/

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2013, 03:45 AM
Update and sorry

Hello!

I'm afraid I've left this project.
Unfortunately I simply no longer have the patience or time to deal with Unreal Engine 1 (Even though I quite like it in terms of technical stuff).

Now, it is a possibility that I'd do something with Jazz on a different engine (Most probably Unity3D since that's what I work on now), but don't put your hopes up just yet - I'm working on a couple of other projects at the moment!

Now, I do feel kinda bad for saying that I quit, so I quickly archived up and uploaded everything I have at the moment. So here's the (almost) complete 1.3 update:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DPatch_1.3.zip

Note that some things are broken and/or not finished. I tweaked Jazz's model, but in the process I broke it, and thus the weapon models display upside down. There are also some incomplete features, such as crouching (You can crouch, but moving around will make jazz slide, instead. Looks funny). Also, if the patch doesn't work, just contact me, and I'll see what I can do to fix that. It's possible, because I didn't test it yet.

I'm actually thinking about showing off some of my projects on this forum, since I learned quite a bit from working on this project, and my current projects share some similarities with Jazz 3 in one way or another, and also because my current project is about a female furry character with guns.

Anyway, hope you like the final release!