Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ Suggestions

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jan 18, 2015, 09:59 AM
JJ2+ Suggestions

So apparently there's no specific thread for making suggestions for Jazz Jackrabbit 2+. Ugh, it's obvious why there isn't one since it was pretty much my fault because of JJ2+ thread was closed. Sorry! Well, here you go. A thread where everyone is free to suggest anything that (in their oppinion) could be a new feature of Jazz2+.

Recently a lot of ideas about new JJ2+ features popped out of my mind, but I can't remember any of them but one: Multiplayer results. Well, it's not actually mine, but I saw it on the comments of a Youtube video and I thought it's interesting and useful. After a multiplayer battle/capture the flag game finishes, on the player's screen are displayed the results of the game. Here's a picture made by me that explains what I mean better:

I couldn't find a sheet containing the specific Jazz Jackrabbit 2 letters, so I used something similar. Let's say the game ended. This thing is displayed on your screen for a few seconds so you can take a good look at the game results. Also, instead of the sudden blackout of the screen and the game telling you to press any key to proceed, the multiplayer results can let you relax a little bit after the game has ended and look at each player's progress (kills/deaths). I forgot to add in the pic something such as "Next map: XXXXXX" but is not that important after all. The background music of the multiplayer results should be this one (also the source of the idea of multiplayer results). It's relaxing, "Jazzy" and matches perfectly as a results music.

Also, server voting would also be a thing. The player should be able to suggest stuff such as "map restart", "next map" or "kick *player*" and if the other people on the server agree, they can vote up and make that happen. If the majority denies with the vote or doesn't (want to) vote at all, it won't happen. Ugh, my lack of exprimation. It huurts!

Anybody else has a suggestion? Please leave it below. I hope Violet (Saaaaaam) notices this thread and reads our suggestions.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 18, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Multiplayer results
This exists in 5.0.

JCF Member

Jan 18, 2015, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
This exists in 5.0.
Oh, I'm sorry then.

Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:30 AM
Jelly Jam
This message has been deleted by Jelly Jam.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 18, 2015, 04:41 PM
Quote:
I hope Violet (Saaaaaam) notices this thread and reads our suggestions.
I read everything posted in this forum. (But "Violet" is fine, really.)

Anyway! cooba is right that there is something along those lines implemented, but it's not nearly as detailed as what you propose and it's something I anticipate seeing a lot more suggestions/complaints about once it's generally available. Your image is definitely visually appealing, though I think you're forgetting two rules of HUD design: be resizable to 320x200, and (more importantly) don't get covered up by chat. Still, there's no need to apologize--you don't know what's in 5.0 if it hasn't been announced, after all, and it's a reasonable idea that could invite further discussion.

JCF Member

Jan 18, 2015, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I read everything posted in this forum. (But "Violet" is fine, really.)

Anyway! cooba is right that there is something along those lines implemented, but it's not nearly as detailed as what you propose and it's something I anticipate seeing a lot more suggestions/complaints about once it's generally available. Your image is definitely visually appealing, though I think you're forgetting two rules of HUD design: be resizable to 320x200, and (more importantly) don't get covered up by chat. Still, there's no need to apologize--you don't know what's in 5.0 if it hasn't been announced, after all, and it's a reasonable idea that could invite further discussion.
Well, at least I know it's going to be implemented. Thanks for the answer :P

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jan 18, 2015, 11:27 PM
During a game, no matter if it's CTF, Battle or anything, you can just keep pressing TAB to see your kill/death scores and those of other players. That's a good way of tracking all progress in-game. This 'Mulitplayer Result' screen doesn't add anything new (except maybe the Blue and Red list, but in CTF names are already colored red or blue, so...), it's just the same thing being forced upon everyone (it should be possible to disable it somehow). And if you want to 'relax' after a match, simply spectate or skip a round. No one says you have to play x matches in a row xD.

The owner of the server is the one who decides what should happen. And what if the owner is absent? You can vote until Judgment Day but nobody will be able to do shit because the one in charge, the one wielding admin powers, just happens to be doing something else. Okay, a moderator might do too, but still. Democracy in JJ2? Come on, He who controls the server is the absolute and only ruler. No opposition, no voting, no power for the masses. And even if there's a voting going on, the owner is allowed and fully capable to deny said voting.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 19, 2015, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgia View Post
The owner of the server is the one who decides what should happen. And what if the owner is absent? You can vote until Judgment Day but nobody will be able to do shit because the one in charge, the one wielding admin powers, just happens to be doing something else. Okay, a moderator might do too, but still. Democracy in JJ2? Come on, He who controls the server is the absolute and only ruler. No opposition, no voting, no power for the masses. And even if there's a voting going on, the owner is allowed and fully capable to deny said voting.
Be ever judicious!

I think voting is a perfectly reasonable idea, especially for dedicated servers and perhaps even for things like JDC events. If most people in a server dislike the current level and there's not admin around, changing the level via voting beats having to look for a new server any time, I think.

I recall BlurredD talking about wanting to implement voting a while ago, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2015, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgia View Post
During a game, no matter if it's CTF, Battle or anything, you can just keep pressing TAB to see your kill/death scores and those of other players. That's a good way of tracking all progress in-game. This 'Mulitplayer Result' screen doesn't add anything new (except maybe the Blue and Red list, but in CTF names are already colored red or blue, so...), it's just the same thing being forced upon everyone (it should be possible to disable it somehow). And if you want to 'relax' after a match, simply spectate or skip a round. No one says you have to play x matches in a row xD.

As I said, the sudden blackout is an awful ending of a game. You don't even have the time to see who won or see if you're in the top players. Lots of games have a multiplayer results screen after the game ended, Team Fortress 2 as an example. There's literally no satisfaction if you won the game and the screen suddenly becomes black and a new round starts automatically.

What if the owner is busy? The players are the ones who enjoy the map, not the owner. Voting should really be a thing. If the majority agrees, it must happen! "He who controls the server is the absolute and only ruler." Well if he wants us to play bad maps or get constantly killed by a hacker, we can simply change the server! Once again, this is a thing in TF2. Just because we're regular players that doesn't mean we don't have the right to make the server as confortable as possible. Of course, if this would be added, the owner still has the right to decide if he will enable voting or not. We're the players, we decide what map to play or who to stay on the server. This would also mean that I'll get kicked oftenly.

To add something to the voting idea, the server should be able to vote only if there are more than 6-8 players. No splitscreen votes, one vote for each person. If a player is being kicked, he won't be able to join the server for a short time, like a hour or something.

...ugh, it's just me or JCF didn't work for like an hour?...

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jan 19, 2015, 01:47 AM
Having a screen like this would definitely be useful in servers with /motorcycle on. And either way, more interesting than the current empty screen (which I automatically press away as soon as out appears).

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Jan 19, 2015, 02:13 AM
Well the multiplayer results thing is a cool thing, but there's a thing that has to be added, the voting has to be added, it will be very useful, maybe the owner has a level that other servers don't have.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 19, 2015, 02:24 AM
Quote:
...ugh, it's just me or JCF didn't work for like an hour?...
Yeah, there was a disk space problem which broke some stuff. It's fixed now.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

Jan 19, 2015, 11:55 AM
I think it would be cool if it could show more statistics like assists, flags captured, flags lost or things like that. Also it would be nice to make it show up by tab in the middle of a game or after
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2015, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foly View Post
I think it would be cool if it could show more statistics like assists, flags captured, flags lost or things like that. Also it would be nice to make it show up by tab in the middle of a game or after
Yep, like in Team Fortress 2! Ugh, I can't find a picture of the results screen. For more inspiration, download TF2, join a server and press TAB. It will be shown a complex and still good looking aestethically status screen.

Also, the kills, deaths, flag captures or any other important events (if there are more) should be shown in the upper right corner of the game, not in the chat!

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Jan 20, 2015, 11:21 PM
What else needed in JJ2 is the ability to render at 1080p. But unlike bigjazz it should not create extra screen space. Just the 640x480 area screen stretched to 1920x1080. The reason I'm telling this because 640x480 resolution doesn't support in many monitors. Also, by the second thought; we should have the aspect ratio to 16:9 instead 4:3. Typically a widescreen. It may show some more extra tiles in left/ right. But if everyone have widescreen support, then its fair enough I guess. And now a days 4:3 is barely used. Having 16:9 aspect ratio hack in next JJ2+ would be nice.

Edit: Having screen resolution will also create extra rooms for chat and all other necessary info during game. Not all have 1080p, but most of screens supports 720p. So the HUD should be resized in 720p format.

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Jan 20, 2015, 11:36 PM
My suggestion is to create an option to reveal full player colors in CTF game mode. It's a patch that some people use in Camel Duels, where blue/red fur colors aren't superimposed on the character models.

Another suggestion is to create an operating system within JJ2, like create a Notepad-like text editor that JJ2 can open, and JJ2 can save/load files creates by the text editor. But outside programs can't see the files because they are encrypted on the hard drive by JJ2.

Also, a good idea for plus is to create a minus feature. Like in Pokémon Silver and Gold, where you can play maps from Pokémon Blue and Red. Except in minus, only important features are taken away. No Spaz/Lori, only Jazz. No multiplayer either.

Also if the plus team feels like doing an extraordinary amount of work, one possibility is JJ2 to the power of an imaginary number. Like, instead of JJ2, it goes to JJ to the power of an imaginary number, for example JJ46, JJ98, JJ3.7. This would allow more random number generators in JJ2.

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2015, 12:39 AM
Apart from all these things. What we really need is to remove the 246 colour limit. Hence we can create HD maps.

Also, we should be able to set FPS limit. Its a good thing that the FPS limit was set to 140. But not all monitors have 140 hz refresh rate. And most high refresh rate monitor have 120 hz. So 140 fps simply creates screen tearing/ flicker. Usually in windows 7 or older versions, this problem is solved due to tripple buffer and vsync. But in windows 8 due to direct draw issue, we need to turn those things off to play in full screen. So fps limit isn't set to that of monitors refresh rate in windows 8 and remains 140 fps causing all the problems. So we should rather have an option to set fps limit.

And as for windows 7 having no issues, we still cant set vsync on window mode. So it creates tearing of screen in window mode.

Fixing these issues are more important than any other thing.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 21, 2015, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
Another suggestion is to create an operating system within JJ2, like create a Notepad-like text editor that JJ2 can open, and JJ2 can save/load files creates by the text editor. But outside programs can't see the files because they are encrypted on the hard drive by JJ2.
That's a very ambitious idea but I'm not convinced the majority of JJ2+ users would consider it useful. Since JJ2 is only meant to work on other operating systems, creating a system within it would always lead to having two operating systems active at the same time, possibly more if more JJ2 windows are open. For most users, this would consume a large percentage of RAM. Besides, I suspect that nearly every player has all or most of their HDD space assigned to their main operating system, meaning that they would need a huge rearrangement to create proper JJ2+ partitions, unless it were to use virtual disk space, but in this case it would likely lose support for processors that don't support virtualization, and those are still fairly common. Naturally you could also consider storing all files in a cloud instead, but we all know those aren't very reliable. Overall, I think losses are disproportionately greater than gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum
Also, a good idea for plus is to create a minus feature. Like in Pokémon Silver and Gold, where you can play maps from Pokémon Blue and Red. Except in minus, only important features are taken away. No Spaz/Lori, only Jazz. No multiplayer either.
I see your motivation but I think this feature would be better off as a separate project. If it were implemented in JJ2+, it could become unstable and users would begin to experience sign conflicts (mixed plus/minus JJ2 patch version). Besides, we can't be sure if JJ2 never performs operations on its patch version that assume it to be non-negative, for example square root. If JJ2 tried to compute a square root of JJ2-, it would result in a value of Not-a-Number, since JJ2 was written without complex numbers in mind. This could generate a wide range of bugs, from game-breaking to hard to detect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum
Also if the plus team feels like doing an extraordinary amount of work, one possibility is JJ2 to the power of an imaginary number. Like, instead of JJ2, it goes to JJ to the power of an imaginary number, for example JJ46, JJ98, JJ3.7. This would allow more random number generators in JJ2.
We added it to the list but I have to consult you on the details and suggested solutions. For one, when a real number is taken to an imaginary power, the result has an absolute value of 1. This isn't nearly enough to obtain versions such as JJ46 or JJ98, therefore I have to assume the JJ you had in mind is a complex number in the first place. In this case I have to ask what method you used to obtain not just real but also generally whole numbers as results. As JJ can also be represented as J squared, it would be useful if you could provide the formula used to obtain the value of J. Either way, we'll likely have to adjust a big portion of code for this change because, as I mentioned before, JJ2 isn't designed to work with complex numbers, so don't expect it in the very near future.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 21, 2015, 07:08 AM
... What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI
[resolution/aspect ratio thing]

I'm pretty sure the minimum HDMI resolution is 640x480, and most monitors should be able to stretch it. Worst case scenario, I'm sure you can get your GPU to stretch it.
As for the widescreen thing, that might work if you could have it as a setting in levels.
Quote:
Apart from all these things. What we really need is to remove the 246 colour limit. Hence we can create HD maps.

Apparently, the Plus crew have been looking for ways to raise(Or remove) the colour limit for a while.
Quote:
[Frame rate stuff]

I thought plus capped out at 70.
In any case though, I do agree with this suggestion. Although, it might mess up some AS code since Gameticks(What JJ2 uses to count time) is in 1/70ths of a second.

And KRSplat, no. Just no.

(Also, I realise the quotes in this post look weird; my browser messed up)

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2015, 07:54 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. But actually I couldn't express my opinion properly. Yes, 640x480 does support but having 1920x1080 resolution should give sharp images. And in order to remove the pixelated screen, of course there should be some image render plugin option [Like hq4x, just an example].

So about widescreen, if settings in level can make it happen, its almost impossible cause we then need to set up widescreen for every single map [And now there exists many maps, we can't just make every single of it work] So, if there's no way to make it widescreen globally, its useless.

No, the plus FPS limit is 140 and its really creating screen tearing, shakings in window mode/ and in fullscreen mode in Windows 8. The original JJ2 was capped to 70 FPS and it actually ran better in window mode. So, having an option to set FPS limit manually [or atleast some preset FPS limit to choose from, like 30/ 60/ 70/ 75/ 120/ 140] is a must. I use windows 7, so I dont have this issue [As playing in Full screen fix it]. But its a mess in windows 8.

Also, in some PCs, starting the game in fullscreen causes an error. Which only happens with Plus version. The original JJ2 [All versions; 1.23 1.24 and whatever there is] works fine & and no crashes occurs. But with Plus version, I frequently get this thing:

And then only way to fix it is to try this thing over a dozen times and finally the game starts. Or by opening non- plus jj2 and close it in window mode and then start JJ2+

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 21, 2015, 11:19 AM
That error has been fixed in the next release.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2015, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. But actually I couldn't express my opinion properly. Yes, 640x480 does support but having 1920x1080 resolution should give sharp images. And in order to remove the pixelated screen, of course there should be some image render plugin option [Like hq4x, just an example].

So about widescreen, if settings in level can make it happen, its almost impossible cause we then need to set up widescreen for every single map [And now there exists many maps, we can't just make every single of it work] So, if there's no way to make it widescreen globally, its useless.

Also, in some PCs, starting the game in fullscreen causes an error. Which only happens with Plus version. The original JJ2 [All versions; 1.23 1.24 and whatever there is] works fine & and no crashes occurs. But with Plus version, I frequently get this thing:

And then only way to fix it is to try this thing over a dozen times and finally the game starts. Or by opening non- plus jj2 and close it in window mode and then start JJ2+
Whenever I play fullscreen in JJ2, it becomes widened. I'm too lazy to figure out how to stop it from stretching. It looks awful. Even though there's anti-alias, it still looks bad, like someone smeared and pulled the vision. I'm not sure if it'll ever look good in large/widescreen, since the sprites were never made with a big resolution in mind. I did check hq4x too, but I'm not sure if I like it. The outlines become so blobby and sometimes shaky.

However, what would be nice is having a black space for chat and stats. Before anyone suggests bigjazz, no I won't use that load of buggy 1.23 only crap.

About the fullscreen bug, it's not in some PCs, it's a plus issue. It's been mentioned many times. You can work around it easily, though. Here's how to work around this error;

1. Right click the Jazz2 icon, then click properties.
2. Then click shortcut on the top.
3. Then to the right of "Target;" (it will show the directory of Jazz2), add -menu
4. Now click apply at the bottom. Open Jazz2. It'll skip the intro stuff, but that error won't appear anymore. Infact I prefer it that way, since it skips the stuff you've already seen a million times.

SE told me it got fixed in 5.0, though (which isn't out for the public yet, and no we don't have a release date for it).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2015, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Whenever I play fullscreen in JJ2, it becomes widened. I'm too lazy to figure out how to stop it from stretching. It looks awful.I did check hq4x too, but I'm not sure if I like it. The outlines become so blobby and sometimes shaky.

However, what would be nice is having a black space for chat and stats. Before anyone suggests bigjazz, no I won't use that load of buggy 1.23 only crap.

3. Then to the right of "Target;" (it will show the directory of Jazz2), add -menu
Actually, you can make the stretched screen to 4:3 aspect ratio. Here's my JJ2 running on full screen in both of my 16:9/ 16:10 aspect ratio monitor. Have a look:

Sorry, the last picture is rotated to 180 degree cause I took these shots with my mobile and hold it in opposite way. Anyway, if you are using TV/ Monitor you can easily change it via the menu buttons of your Monitor/ TV. But, if you use default laptop monitor [incase you use] you should change it via GPU drivers. If you don't have one, download it.

Oh, about the command line in shortcut, can you be more specific?
Like just copy all the line thats in your shortcut [I'll change the directory, no need to tell] but I'm doing something wrong with it, which isn't making the skipping happen.
For example, tell the line in like this ""D:\Games\Jazz Rabbit 2 TSF\Jazz2tsf+.exe-menu" or whatever I need to do. Thanks.

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2015, 11:26 PM
Quote:
-snip-
Editing the monitor settings would affect the view for everything else, though. I probably need to edit my graphics driver settings. I'm pretty sure it was possible in the first place, I'm just reluctant to figure out at the moment.

As for the directory, you need to add a space between - and e.

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2015, 11:45 PM
Nope. It won't affect a thing on your monitor. It will only make 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions like that [Putting black bars]. If you enabled this option, nothing will happen if u run on 16:9/ 10 resolution, no black bars will be formed. You can try it. If you use monitors that can be configured [aspect ratio] within itself, changing settings in GPU drivers wont work at all. So my suggestion, Just make the widescreen mode to "auto".

I can show you a screenshot of how I change my monitor settings if you want.

Oh, and thanks for helping with intro skipping. Really appreciate it

Edit: Oh, if you play JJ2 fullscreen with aspect ratio fixed. It wont look bad even with low res textures. In 19" monitor it looks good. In 42" monitor it will be a bit bad. But I'm sure you wont stay only one hand distant from such big monitor. If you remain 2 hands away from such big monitor, JJ2 will just look good in fullscreen. Also it runs way smoother in fullscreen mode (Not in windows 8 ofcourse) .

Its just my opinion. I don't know how will it be to you.

Last edited by SAMI; Jan 22, 2015 at 12:28 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Whenever I play fullscreen in JJ2, it becomes widened. I'm too lazy to figure out how to stop it from stretching. It looks awful. Even though there's anti-alias, it still looks bad, like someone smeared and pulled the vision. I'm not sure if it'll ever look good in large/widescreen, since the sprites were never made with a big resolution in mind. I did check hq4x too, but I'm not sure if I like it. The outlines become so blobby and sometimes shaky.

About the fullscreen bug, it's not in some PCs, it's a plus issue. It's been mentioned many times. You can work around it easily, though. Here's how to work around this error;

1. Right click the Jazz2 icon, then click properties.
2. Then click shortcut on the top.
4. Now click apply at the bottom. Open Jazz2. It'll skip the intro stuff, but that error won't appear anymore. Infact I prefer it that way, since it skips the stuff you've already seen a million times.

SE told me it got fixed in 5.0, though (which isn't out for the public yet, and no we don't have a release date for it).
Well... I fix it like this: I just open it and quickly press Alt + Enter to minimize it and it works then when I get to the menu I go fullscreen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM
The error has been fixed in the next release.
When do you think the next version of JJ2+ will be released?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 22, 2015, 01:02 AM
Getting closer all the time.

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Well... I fix it like this: I just open it and quickly press Alt + Enter to minimize it and it works then when I get to the menu I go fullscreen again.
This is the best solution. Don't know why I was dumb enough to never try it out before! It actually works.

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
That error has been fixed in the next release.
Ugh, so no exact date when it will be released? #2hard2wait

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 10:37 AM
Better not release the next version too fast. Another thing to be fixed is the 3D mode. Not increasing the accuracy, but the screen area. Cause when yu turn on 3D mode, 1 of 3 part of the screen ( sides or top and bottom part based on the mode selected) is cut off. So you cant play multiplayer due to lack of area view. So this should be rather be fixed more than any other features of 3D. We need a full 640x480 area view. Or else its just useless. Maybe make the chats 3d too. Cause it irritates eyes a lot. Fixing these would be great. Then we can finally play multiplayer in 3D.

Also, I can't open plus version of JJ2 via JCS. Selecting Save & Run opens the normal jj2 and hence crashes due to the fact using different formats of music and some other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
My suggestion is to create an option to reveal full player colors in CTF game mode. It's a patch that some people use in Camel Duels, where blue/red fur colors aren't superimposed on the character models.
Not impressed with it at all. Cause, while playing CTF/TB, specially when players are in serious trouble to kill opponent, they would get confused easily

We should rather have option to set different fur colours for each team. Hence we can match our colours with each team (red/blue). So we dont need to quit and recolour our furs to match the preferred team colour.

Another thing that can be interesting is that we can set flag colours. Like we have team green vs team yellow. So the flag colour would be like that. Or you can say: pink flag vs white flag and so on.

I know its quite impossible but I just said. Maybe add this feature in more future version.

Last edited by SAMI; Jan 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Better not release the next version too fast. Another thing to be fixed is the 3D mode. Not increasing the accuracy, but the screen area. Cause when yu turn on 3D mode, 1 of 3 part of the screen ( sides or top and bottom part based on the mode selected) is cut off. So you cant play multiplayer due to lack of area view. So this should be rather be fixed more than any other features of 3D. We need a full 640x480 area view. Or else its just useless. Maybe make the chats 3d too. Cause it irritates eyes a lot. Fixing these would be great. Then we can finally play multiplayer in 3D.

Also, I can open plus version of Jj2 via JCS. Selecting Save & Run opens the normal jj2 and hence crashes due to the fact using different formats of music and some other thing.
I don't really see 3D mode being worked on at the moment. It's nothing more than an aesthetic novelty.

To combat the save and run issue, I renamed jazz2.exe to something like jazz2-.exe and Jazz2+.exe to jazz2.exe,.

And please (you know who you are), stop asking when 5.0 will come out. Do you want a buggy release with the features missing that we promised? No.

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah, it makes sense. 3D mode doesn't help much. But improving would be great as its already included.

And what about flag colour option like I mentioned in my last post? Is it really possible?

Last edited by SAMI; Jan 23, 2015 at 01:26 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 22, 2015, 11:09 AM
The CTF base sprites with the gems and the doors and everything use a lot of different palette lines and it'd be pretty tricky to recolor them ingame.

(SAMI, I feel bad because a lot of the stuff you suggest makes sense and would definitely be an improvement, but unfortunately also happens to be surprisingly difficult to implement.)

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 11:32 AM
I wish I could help you guys. But plus is actually programs and coding which I don't even understand.

I could help with textures and sprites. Drawing HD sprites and creating and lighting effect texture of the sprites using RGB texture method. But these arent possible with JJ2.

And yeah, programming JJ2 to improve it can never be an easy task.

Do you think its possible to replace the sprites with higher resolution model?

JCF Member

Jan 22, 2015, 01:46 PM
Also for the multiplayer results I think it would be cool to let the owner choose the music for when the results show up.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 22, 2015, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Do you think its possible to replace the sprites with higher resolution model?
Possible, yes. But redrawing all the existing sprites into high-res versions is months, if not years, of work.

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2015, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Possible, yes. But redrawing all the existing sprites into high-res versions is months, if not years, of work.
Until the magical day when another JJ game will be released, probabily this would be done already. Just saying.

JCF Veteran

Jan 23, 2015, 12:36 AM
Feel free to start, then.

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2015, 01:25 AM
Again if possible to create Hi res sprites, there's still another thing that will actually block it. As long as theres still colour limit, drawing hi res sprites is pointless. Cause its just a clear model with low terrible colour shading. Only eight different colours are used to shade the sprites. And a decent HD would require more than it. Like atleast 500 different shades.
But its true, it will be pointless to draw HD sprites after all. Maybe a new JJ2 will already released before finishing drawing HD sprites.

Quote:
To combat the save and run issue, I renamed jazz2.exe to something like jazz2-.exe and Jazz2+.exe to jazz2.exe.
Ah, I've asked another dumb question after all. I could try it out before asking. Sorry about that. Thanks for the fix, appreciate it a lot.

Btw, for those who still didn't understand about what I meant by RGB lighting. Let me give you an example:
I picked up an random game that uses this method, for example FIFA 10. Now what I did is change its jersey wrinkle lighting. For a quick example I just changed my signature to this type below:

Now I've put this in the game and look what it does:

And if the light falls from any other direction, this happens:

So as you can see, even its just a 2D texture, lights will fall on it in such a way that it will almost [Not fully, but similar to] be like that its a 3D object. Lighting frequently reacts to changing of position of light rays falling on it. If this thing can be implement in JJ2, its possible to make it real HD.

Last edited by SAMI; Jan 23, 2015 at 02:31 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2015, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Feel free to start, then.
*content, so my post won't be deleted*
Nah.

JCF Veteran

Jan 23, 2015, 08:31 AM
SAMI please remember that this game is nearly 17 years old.