Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

A Brief Discourse on "Test" Levels

stripe

JCF Member

stripe is doing well so far

May 28, 2002, 08:56 PM
Post A Brief Discourse on "Test" Levels

Test levels. Why do we make them? Why do we host them? Why do we play them?

Frankly, I wish we didn't. But seeing as that is obviously not the case, I've written this short bit of anti-test-level propaganda.

Test levels are levels that "test" your jazzing abilities. They're often hosted online, so that the host can record the "best" jazzers that survive their tedium... whoops, I mean challenges.

Quick, let's answer the above questions before I make any more subconcious slips. We make test levels because it's fun to design challenges for other jazzers. We host them because it's fun to watch other jazzers pit their "skills" against our witty designs. We play them because it's fun to overcome aforementioned witty designs.

Or is it? In my opinion, quite frankly, the answer is a resounding "No", at least for the bit about playing the levels. As far as making and hosting the levels goes, I've never made one but I would imagine it would be just as fun as creating race levels or normal single player levels.

The reasons that, for me, it is no fun to play test levels include the following:

-First and foremost, I find them reeeaaally tedious. About as tedious as doing long division, only more frustrating. It could be argued that I suck and therefore I would not "get" the fun, but to this I say: I find easy test levels just as tedious, minus a bit of the frustration.

-Second, what do test levels test you on? Mostly maneuverability and little tricks or quirks in jazz or spazz's movement. Is this relevant to anything outside of this carefully controlled test-level environment? I say no. Any jazzer worth their salt knows they're ten times better off learning levels they will actually play games in. When's the last time you played a battle, ctf, or even race level in which there was a part so deviously constructed that you needed at least 10 tries to get through it? Test levels are too specific to have real relevance to actual gaming.

-In a test level, you really only compete against yourself. Somebody please remind me why my computer is plugged into the phone jack again. (in case that was too subtle for you, I mean this: why compete against yourself when you could be facing the much more wholesome challenge of real, thinking, and reacting foes?)

In summary, playing a test level is like banging my head against a wall. Have a heart. Host a real multiplayer level.

stripe

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 28, 2002, 09:23 PM
I find you usually play at the same time every day. Is it usually the same person hosting the test level? If this is the case, I'll make an attempt to host a CTF server during later hours so there will be more variety at those times.

The amount of "real" servers outnumbers the amount of test servers vastly, at least on 1.23.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
URJazzCC

JCF Member

URJazzCC is doing well so far

May 28, 2002, 09:41 PM
This is just another arguement on opinions. You, obviously, don't like test levels. But as you can see peopl are making them, and people are playing them, so that must mean someone has to like doing them. So thus, please don't try to force your opinion onto others, thank you.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 28, 2002, 10:13 PM
URJazz, please don't tell people not to state their opinions. It is perfectly fine for somebody to say what they think.

It's a sign of ignorance to ask people to not debate things.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
Aiko

JCF Member

Aiko is doing well so far

May 29, 2002, 02:37 AM
heh! way to go stripe.
(notice my large grin!)

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 29, 2002, 04:46 AM
Ahem. I agree with stripe, but ofcourse others think different about it

JCF Member

Enigma is an asset to this forum

May 29, 2002, 05:58 AM
I agree that test levels shouldn't be hosted. It's usually impossible to complete anything when 5 or 6 players are trying at the same time.

But i do like to play a little in a test level as single player when i'm bored. It's something different, and usually they're not too long

JCF Member

4I Falcon has disabled reputation

May 29, 2002, 08:18 AM
just a thing...

and what about hotel levels? i mean, it's nice to have a "room" to yourself, and there are all those sections that the builder hopefully included in the level. i've even seen one with a small chat room and health zone. woo.

but test and hotel levels are becoming too increasingly popular... they're two categories of level that theoretically shouldn't even exist. whatever happened to treasure hunt?!

and edited versions of the original battle levels... are these people really so inept at building levels that they have to steal a design from an already-built level?

...i'm done ranting now.

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
Enter: Jack Flash
System of Turbulence
Profile count: disabled.

Galbadia Hotel: your one-stop shop for all your VG music needs!
SteelTalon

JCF Member

SteelTalon is doing well so far

May 29, 2002, 11:31 AM
Nice essay, stripe. Sounds like something I would've written.

Anyway, the least you guys could do is host the official levels. They aren't spectacular but they are a solid choice (not to mention the benefit that everyone has them). Otherwise, I'd heartily reccomend BloodBunny's pack for CTF.
PreSenT PaST
</font>
MaGoo

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

May 29, 2002, 12:20 PM
One thing I find COMPLETELY pointless in most test levels is that little room you go into after beating the test. It's usually full of coins and gems or something like that. First of all, what's the point of it if you have no use for the coins or whatever the heck is put in? It's completely unlogical. Coins, gems, food, and every other event you can think of has a purpose, and using them in a little "winning" room is just dumb.
Old May 29, 2002, 12:31 PM
ElectroPiZZa
This message has been deleted by ElectroPiZZa.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 29, 2002, 12:35 PM
Re: A Brief Discourse on "Test" Levels

Quote:
Originally posted by stripe
Test levels. Why do we make them?
Because they're fun.

Quote:
Why do we host them?
Because they're fun.

Quote:
Why do we play them?
Because pie. Wait.. because they're fun.

Quote:
Frankly, I wish we didn't. But seeing as that is obviously not the case, I've written this short bit of anti-test-level propaganda.
Short indeed.

Quote:
Test levels are levels that "test" your jazzing abilities. They're often hosted online, so that the host can record the "best" jazzers that survive their tedium... whoops, I mean challenges.
Well, yeah.

Quote:
Quick, let's answer the above questions before I make any more subconcious slips. We make test levels because it's fun to design challenges for other jazzers. We host them because it's fun to watch other jazzers pit their "skills" against our witty designs. We play them because it's fun to overcome aforementioned witty designs.
Yes, yes it is.

Quote:
Or is it? In my opinion, quite frankly, the answer is a resounding "No", at least for the bit about playing the levels.
IMHO, it's sometimes more fun downloading a test level from J2O, playing it, (usually beating it within five minutes), and rating it, then doing the same with a Battle/CTF/Treasure Hunt, say, and trying to figure out how the level would hold up in actual internet play.

Quote:
As far as making and hosting the levels goes, I've never made one but I would imagine it would be just as fun as creating race levels or normal single player levels.
I'm not sure about race, but single player levels are generally funner (Again IMHO) to make then, say, Battle, CTF, or all that stuff. For one thing, you actually get to test the level while making it.

Quote:
The reasons that, for me, it is no fun to play test levels include the following:

-First and foremost, I find them reeeaaally tedious. About as tedious as doing long division, only more frustrating. It could be argued that I suck and therefore I would not "get" the fun, but to this I say: I find easy test levels just as tedious, minus a bit of the frustration.
Your skills in finding difficult test levels are obviously much better then mine. Show me some of these hard ones, please, so that I may take delight.

Quote:
-Second, what do test levels test you on? Mostly maneuverability and little tricks or quirks in jazz or spazz's movement. Is this relevant to anything outside of this carefully controlled test-level environment? I say no.
Here's a snippet from one of the reviews of EvilMike's "Alien Chemistry" Single Player pack.

"yes. I found secrets lurking around the corner. Some of the tests I took in Jazz2 over the internet help me navigate through many obsticles"

No, I didn't write that.

Quote:
Any jazzer worth their salt knows they're ten times better off learning levels they will actually play games in.
And you ("you" being people in general, not stripe) don't play test levels?

Quote:
When's the last time you played a battle, ctf, or even race level in which there was a part so deviously constructed that you needed at least 10 tries to get through it?
Race, yes. But with Battle and CTF, you're trying to say that all gametypes should be almost the same.

Quote:
Test levels are too specific to have real relevance to actual gaming.
I'm not totally sure I understand what you're trying to say, but I think that's wrong.

Quote:
-In a test level, you really only compete against yourself. Somebody please remind me why my computer is plugged into the phone jack again. (in case that was too subtle for you, I mean this: why compete against yourself when you could be facing the much more wholesome challenge of real, thinking, and reacting foes?)
With that argument, why don't you go after Single Player next? And, hey.... why bother making levels? You can't fight anyone while making levels, and it's just with yourself, so it's obviously a bad idea.

Quote:
In summary, playing a test level is like banging my head against a wall. Have a heart. Host a real multiplayer level.
Translation.

"In summary, when I play a test level, I get tired of it. Because I want you all to be nice to me, host a non test or race multiplayer level during the time that I am online."

JCF Member

stripe is doing well so far

May 29, 2002, 01:42 PM
Cool

Unknown Rabbit: I know it's nice to reply in itty bitty little bits, but it makes the post very long and IMHO makes it hard to grasp the full message of the post. (ie... it seems rather silly to answer my intial questions when I answer them later the same way) However, we are here to discuss test levels, not discussion, so I'll reply in my own way and leave you to yours. :)

Anyhow, I stand corrected in light of your quote about test levels being relevant to single player play. I had not considered this, but this does not really affect my argument as a whole: I come to the internet to play multiplayer levels. If I want to improve my single player skills, why am playing multiplayer in the first place? I am not sure if there is an easy way to specifically download "test levels" but it might be a good idea.

You mentioned briefly that people do play test levels. I do as well, because often they are the only thing being hosted. On the off chance that I am correct and most everyone does not like playing test levels, they would *still* be created and hosted because in general, this is fun to do. The intended point of my above article was to point out that, as fun as it may be to create and host test levels, if the host cares about the clients, he or she will consider the fact that probably the players have come online to play an online mode.

thanks for your time :)
stripe

JCF Member

KJAZZ has disabled reputation

May 29, 2002, 03:24 PM
Well Stripe, you're entitled to your opinion and you may dislike them, but I like them..to an extent. I don't like the insanely hard ones, I like ones that are moderately difficult and take a few tries to do, unlike some I've seen..(cough evilmike and hugelacough).

But whatever. If you don't like em, go to a different server. Or host one of your own. It's not like we're forcing you to go to it.

Oh yes, I do believe that KJAZZ will most likely be actually sticking around the JCF this time, instead of posting a "I'm back!" message and then leaving..no, this time i'm back for real =P

Uhhh...I'm not really here. ;P
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

May 29, 2002, 07:57 PM
Gametypes for JJ2 are designed for Battle CTF treasure etc not for tests but Jazz2 wasn't designed for Survivor either. Survivor is a fun gametype you don't roast people but you are competing against people unlike tests which are basicly how far one person can go. I personally think tests should be played offline since your not competing against other people.

JCF Member

Me has disabled reputation

May 29, 2002, 08:01 PM
There's something about actully being HARD, you know.

In Test levels, you try to pass the test. Sometimes that can be hard.
In Single Player levels, you fight villans and bosses! That can be hard.
But in Battle, CTF, and Race, you're just fighting other players. It can't do much when you beat them! In Test levels, you might get in a hall of fame. In Single Player levels, you get to say you did them, and you can also see what's next in the levels!

Single player levels may have that like tests, but you can't host them. Unless you have XJJ2.

JCF Member

>>Møønßlãzé<< is doing well so far

May 29, 2002, 11:06 PM
Test levels has a good gameplay, there's wroth in join them.
If you not are such much good in battle, a test is great, I do better like test levels than battle levels, sinice it's total fair in test levels, but in battle, it's about who's oldest and have most skills.
Test levels is good also becuse you get more challenge in the 'who complete first', where the newbies is an enemy too, a better one than in battle.
There's nothing wrong with test levels, I really like puzzles and test levels, they always have a decent good gameplay.
When you finish a hard test level, you also feel better, and even you won't say it, you get more happy, becuse you'r good

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 30, 2002, 04:05 PM
Actually, you DO compete against other players in test levels.

"I'm at lvl 12"
"lol, I'm still at lvl 4"
"still? I'll have finished by the time you get to 5."

...get my point? That's why I play online, and for this:

"How do you do #7, it's so hard"
"The thing on the right isn't a warp"
"Oh, thanks"

And I play because they're FUN, not to improve my skills. What's the point of competing anyway? So you can say "I'm probably the best player in this game. hehe"

Or, you can say: "Woop! I beat this test level!"

JCF Member

4I Falcon has disabled reputation

May 31, 2002, 05:39 AM
i remember one test level where i let people bounce off me to get to the next part of the level... that was funny. and then i took half an hour (i was extremely devoted to this game at the time) to get past that part of the level, considering i had no one to bounce off of.

test levels can be good, but anything in excess should be avoided.

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
Enter: Jack Flash
System of Turbulence
Profile count: disabled.

Galbadia Hotel: your one-stop shop for all your VG music needs!