Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

About Abandonware, Freeware, and JJ2

JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 05:54 AM
About Abandonware, Freeware, and Jazz Jackrabbit

Sorry if the title is a little misleading Derby, you're free to change it

The reason I'm back is because a lot of people mistake abandonware for freeware, which in all meanings is cow dung. That's why I've written this little thing. I'm merely putting it up for proofreading, so additions can be made at any time.

Copyright
To put it bluntly, everything you create is protected by law to prevent others from copying your creations. That goes for anything, down to the little pencil you draw with. If another company wants to use your creations commercially, they'd have to pay licensing fees or "royalties". Names however fall under a separate category called "Trademarks". Just to get this out of the way: copyright does expire, but only after 70 years if it's not passed on or updated. Should a product have more than one copyright date it means it was adapted from a previous release one way or another. Asking patents is the surefire way to really protect ideas from theft.

Freeware
Naturally computer and video games all fall under copyright laws, and as said before, copyrights only expires after 70 years if not updated! That's why Nintendo and Sega can keep releasing those Classic 8-bit and 16-bit era games commercially. However, a special kind of software is "freeware": free to use software, no obligations, free to spread around. The original company still holds the rights to the designs, but not the content. Only the original company can declare something freeware by changing the "Terms of Service" to "Free to Use".

Abandonware
Contrary to popular belief, "Abandonware" is not Freeware, at least not all of it (I'd say a fairly smal part)! In fact, there's no such thing as "Abandonware." People like to think that when the support for a game suddenly stops, it's freeware. Although it is true that freeware games hardly have customer support (if any) from the original company, that doesn't go the other way around! Games, even "abandoned", still fall under copyright laws and Terms of Service no matter how old they are, thus making them illegal to spread around, unless they've been declared freeware.

Jazz Jackrabbit
Now that's out of the way, let's focus on the current state on the Jazz Jackrabbit games. As of now, both Jazz 1 and 2 and all related games (aside from the Shareware Demos) are not freeware as the companies still hold the rights to everything in those games: content, designs, source code, etc. The rights to the different kinds of content are held by different companies, and most are either out of business or bought up. Epic Games currently holds the main rights to the games, but it takes more to declare any of them freeware. As for the source codes, figuring it out is one thing, getting the rights to it is another.

Jazz Jackrabbit 3, the game that never was...
The Jazz Jackrabbit 3 demo deserves a special mention because it was never meant to be released for the public. The demo was a special "Publisher Test Demo" to show off features of the game and entice publishers to release it, as JJ3 was far from finished when the demo was made. As it's not a public demo (they're made when the game is just about done anyhow) it's illegal to spread around. Just so you know, JJ3 was abandoned because no publisher was willing to take it in. That doesn't make it less illegal though.

Comments are welcome.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

Last edited by JelZe GoldRabbit; Jun 27, 2006 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Added info from FQuist, JJ2 and the JJ3 demo

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 10, 2005, 05:57 AM
About time we needed this sort of thing. Sticky this, anyone?
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 06:20 AM
PLEASE STICKY THIS. I'm gettting annoyed at all the "Jazz Jackrabbit is Freeware!" (-) and "Jazz Jackrabbit is now abandonware so you can get" buckets of (-). It's been getting so (-) anoying lately. At least once a month somebody posts one of those annoying topics, SO STICKY THIS PLEASE

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

niek is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 12:34 PM
Good idea. Sticking this topic would decrease the amount of topics about this subject, and will give those posters the right information. And anyway, I once saw Jazz2 be placed onto the downloads folder from the CraccoClan site, is this right?

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 12:37 PM
I'll stick this. It's mentioned briefly in the FAQ and in the forum rules, but having its own thread and detailed article will help.

(JelZe if you don't want it stickied [stuck?], just say so. I recognize that this isn't a final product.)
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Dec 10, 2005, 12:44 PM
Well, people can still ask questions and give suggestions for this article. I'm all ears

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Dec 10, 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that's right, Hareking. It was removed, though. And this topic is useless

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 10, 2005, 03:22 PM
Thank you, JelZe.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Dec 10, 2005, 03:30 PM
It's also worth noting that Jazz Jackrabbit 2 can still be bought from some shops (and so shouldn't be considered abandonware anyway).

eternal_magus

JCF Member

eternal_magus is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 04:09 PM
Sorry if I'm the one who made this topic have to be an issue . I misunderstood the meaning of the word (if only It'd been here before I posted :P)
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Dec 10, 2005, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_magus
Sorry if I'm the one who made this topic have to be an issue . I misunderstood the meaning of the word (if only It'd been here before I posted :P)
It's understandable. There is a lot of misinformation out there about video/computer game copyright laws. For instance, it is commonly accepted that downloading a game from the Internet is legal if you delete it within 24 hours. In fact, this isn't even close to a real law.

Don't sweat it - you're not the first one to believe the abandonware stuff.

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 04:51 PM
Mind you, once its spread around enough abondonwares sites people will be able to find it with a simple Google

Stijn: Stop posting sources for illegal downloads, you know it's forbidden.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

Last edited by Stijn; Apr 16, 2006 at 03:45 AM.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 05:56 PM
I thought it was 60 years before a copyright expired.

Either way, great article-thing. Hopefully, this will prevent all those abandonware posts that come from people when they first join here. That is, if they bother to read it.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Dec 10, 2005, 06:19 PM
Nice article. I didn't notice this abandonware topic flood some people were talking about that much, but it's nice to have an article anyways. That way, we can just react by posting the link and don't need to repeat ourselves.

Good job.

*edit*

Now what we really need is an article explaining why 1.00 can't be patched in the Tech Help forum. Wanna do that too Jelly?

JCF Member

Dec 11, 2005, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFreak
Nice article. I didn't notice this abandonware topic flood some people were talking about that much, but it's nice to have an article anyways. That way, we can just react by posting the link and don't need to repeat ourselves.

Good job.

*edit*

Now what we really need is an article explaining why 1.00 can't be patched in the Tech Help forum. Wanna do that too Jelly?
You ask, I roll

JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2005, 09:06 AM
Updated with JJ1 and JJ3 demo tie-ins.

Blobby

JCF Member

Blobby is doing well so far

Dec 18, 2005, 04:51 AM
I've scanned the net and you dan easily find Jazz 2 on 'abandonware' sites. The abandonware sites, which must know the law, still carry on. Yet some developers are willing to ignore the fact that webites distribute their games online for free.

JCF Member

Dec 18, 2005, 01:39 PM
That's because some companies are Toodle Doops.

NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Jan 14, 2006, 11:19 PM
LOL

JCF Member

niek is doing well so far

Feb 6, 2006, 02:53 AM
I wouldn't call Jazz2 abandonware because it can still be bought at some internet stores, see the 'Buy the game' page at the J2O homepage to find out where. And I have still seen Christmas Chronicles in a Dutch store near me, and that's actually the same Jazz2 version as TSF, whice is the Jazz2 game, so forget about Jazz2 being abandonware.

JCF Member

Feb 6, 2006, 10:43 AM
Most of the sites are probably american or Canadian. The only version you can get is 1.23, and only on amazon.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Feb 6, 2006, 11:34 AM

And Christmas Chronicles is HH'98 with TSF's engine and some new menu stuff, by the way.
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Feb 24, 2006, 10:22 PM
What I want to know is where Battery Check [The full version, not the demo] fits in to all this, wasn't it given out by some dutch company in exchange for batteries? If so, and they're no longer doing this, what is the legal status of the game? Evidently its abandonware, but is it legal to download and distribute the full game? [And if so, can somoen send me a link ]

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Feb 25, 2006, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubble Dutch
What I want to know is where Battery Check [The full version, not the demo] fits in to all this, wasn't it given out by some dutch company in exchange for batteries? If so, and they're no longer doing this, what is the legal status of the game? Evidently its abandonware, but is it legal to download and distribute the full game? [And if so, can somoen send me a link ]
Yes, Battery Check was a game for promoting dropping off batteries in "Small Chemical Waste" bins, so it had some kind of price-tag... I wouldn't really know, I haven't heard anything if it being declared free-ware. I should look into this.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 21, 2006, 01:25 PM
Why is Jazz2 not abandonware? Sure, abandonware is not free, but the term mainly means "games not supported by their creators anymore". I'd say that description fits JJ1/JJ2 pretty well.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Mar 22, 2006, 04:35 AM
Because JJ2 is still being sold (commercially, not through eBay).

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Mar 22, 2006, 06:43 AM
I think JJ2 is abandonware, as are many other games. A lot of people who say that abandonware doesn't exist or is illegal are speaking the truth, but changing its definition from what it really is: abandoned games.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 22, 2006, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggyB
Because JJ2 is still being sold (commercially, not through eBay).
It is being sold, but not distributed.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Mar 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
I asked at the local 'Videoland', and they can order it. Which means, not abandonware.

Administrator

Mar 22, 2006, 07:27 AM
...who the heck is distributing it then? P2 is bankrupt and afaik they were the European publisher... Mysteriesss!

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Mar 22, 2006, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
...who the heck is distributing it then? P2 is bankrupt and afaik they were the European publisher... Mysteriesss!
Or... They still have some ancient old copies of JJ2 because nobody wanted to buy them...

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Mar 22, 2006, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
THE SYSTEM IS CORRUPT! CORRUPT I TELL YOU, CORRUPT!

D=
Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:25 PM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: Spam
Robowurmz

JCF Member

Robowurmz is doing well so far

Apr 13, 2006, 02:22 AM
Abandonware is when the companies that made a game collaspse, and therefore no payment can be made to them. So the game is abandoned, and is illegal to sell, as that is theft. The game is (as you said) not freeware. Although some sites still distribute these games.
Robowurmz

JCF Member

Robowurmz is doing well so far

Apr 13, 2006, 02:24 AM
Angry

Oh yeah, I think some internet police should take down (warez)
as they are giving away all abandoned games for FREE.
Bad.
Bad.
Bad.
Bad, and once again, BAD!!!

[Warez edit. Please do not link to warez sites. Yes, abandonware is usually warez. - FQuist]

Last edited by FQuist; Apr 13, 2006 at 03:07 AM.
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Apr 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
On the other hand, often classified as abandonware are games that just aren't easy to buy or aren't 'popular', the reasoning being that the company has abandonded it. This is even more ileagal, but who cares?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

JCF Member

Apr 15, 2006, 01:04 PM
Wait, isn't that what everyone said already Dutchie?

JCF Member

Apr 15, 2006, 03:21 PM
No, since some people obviously do care

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2006, 04:34 AM
I was reffering to what DD said, not the article itself. And yes, I care. I bought JJ2.

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2006, 06:43 AM
Selfish?

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2006, 07:59 AM

What the duck are you talking about?