Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

JCS+ ?

JangoCF

JCF Member

JangoCF is doing well so far

Jan 11, 2015, 04:57 PM
JCS+ ?

Hello forum,

Been a while since I last logged in. Been a while since I even touched the game, really. I was wanting to get back into it, downloading the JJ2+ patch and its editor, but I've had no luck finding the latter.

I wasn't dreaming, was I? Wasn't there an editor made that was altered to fit more to the JJ2+ patch's capabilities? I thought its name was JCS+, but I've had a terribly hard time finding where it was.

I was hoping someone in the community could help me.

Thanks,
Shrooblord (AKA JangoCF)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 11, 2015, 05:11 PM
Welcome back! MLLE has some support: vertically flipped tiles, an expanded event list, tools for setting up special triggers, better labels for JJ2+'s expanded textured background types, better hotkeys for JJ2+'s expanded tile types, that sort of thing. No inbuilt AngelScript support but Notepad++ is fine for that.

JCF Member

JangoCF is doing well so far

Jan 12, 2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Violet, for the speedy response! Opened your editor up for a bit - looks great! There's no help file for it (as you mentioned yourself on the download page) - once I get more versed in it, you want me to help you write one?

Edit:
On my Windows 8 installation, though (the only Windows installation I have that supports a 64 bit program like MLLE), it's somewhat buggy. It doesn't open Haunted or the NewHaunt tileset, claiming either incompatibility with 1.23 or, when switched over to version 1.24+, it makes all screens in the editor white and unusable until I switch to a new tileset. There's also a lot of unhandled exceptions being thrown in my face, but I can choose to ignore them and at least the program doesn't crash.

Having fun creating my first level in years, though! Now, to pray I never run into that deadly Stack Overflow error that kills all level progress...

EDIT II:
One point of serious critique I have, though, is that there seems to be no animation editor present. That's quite necessary in a JCS editor in my view. Hope you read this.

Last edited by JangoCF; Jan 12, 2015 at 05:01 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 12, 2015, 06:00 PM
It's a largely abandoned project (hence the bugginess) and not one I'm looking to write a help file for right now. I'm happy to answer questions if you have them (e.g. yes, the Fill tool is totally broken and shouldn't be used), but that's about it.

I tried changing version to 1.24 and loading the Haunted House tileset; nothing crashed.

Animated tiles are at the very bottom of the tileset pane. Double click one to edit it, or double click the blank space at the end of the list to create a new one. Then Ctrl+Click to add frames, Del to remove frames, F or I to flip frames

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 13, 2015, 12:26 AM
Heck, i wish MLLE worked with Windows XP.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 13, 2015, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I'm happy to answer questions if you have them
What is it that doesn't work about "Save as Image..."? Besides the fact that it permanently fucks up zoom.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jan 13, 2015, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
Heck, i wish MLLE worked with Windows XP.
Old PC? I know that feel, I had the same PC from 2004 to 2014.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 13, 2015, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
What is it that doesn't work about "Save as Image..."?
I'm kind of just guessing here, because I can't currently recompile the program to check and it's been a while, but I think I was trying to draw an image larger than the editor window but using the OpenTK control to do so. A framebuffer object or something would probably fix it.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 13, 2015, 11:18 AM
I would likely give it a try if any errors actually occurred in my case. It saves files completely correctly for me.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 13, 2015, 11:31 AM
Curious!