Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

XBox One (Bluetooth) not working

JCF Member

hexaae has disabled reputation

Nov 16, 2020, 03:26 AM
XBox One (Bluetooth) not working

My XBox One Bluetooth controller + Win 10 doesn't seem to work with JJ2+ 5.7 (or with base game 1.23-1.24)

Last edited by hexaae; Nov 16, 2020 at 06:06 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 16, 2020, 08:29 AM
I would guess the main part of what's going on here is that JJ2, being based on 1998 code, uses what's called "DirectInput" to get controller data. In 2005, Microsoft introduced a new system, "XInput." They're pretty similar, and most controllers should support both, but it's hard to say how to get any random controller to work without having it in front of me to experiment with. Maybe there's a settings menu somewhere, maybe it uses those terms or maybe it calls DirectInput "legacy" or something, I don't know.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2020, 02:36 AM
I already tried with dinput -> XInput wrappers (XInputPlus etc.) but nothing works...
For some reason only my arcade joystick works (XInput DPAD for directions, 10 buttons mapped as A, B, X, etc.). XBox One controller (gamepad) is ignored even though is the only connected controller.
Wondering if XBox pad works for someone else...

Last edited by hexaae; Nov 17, 2020 at 03:05 AM.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Nov 17, 2020, 12:00 PM
I don't have any experience using an Xbox One controller in Jazz 2, but here's what I know that I think might be helpful:

Don't use any fancy XInput wrappers, I suspect Jazz 2 handles such things quite badly; my PS4 controller works fine with the game, but if I'm running it through DS4Windows, it doesn't work properly at all. I suspect wrappers and other such things tend to just confuse the game, since my Xbox 360 controller (RIP) used to work fine with the game, as does my PS4 controller when it's not interfacing with a wrapper.

Try turning off any kind of fancy wrappers or software of any kind that might interface with the controller, and just let Jazz 2+ find the controller on its own without anything trying to coddle it. The closer the controller registers to the most basic form of controller, the more likely Jazz 2 is to detect it, I think.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2020, 01:22 AM
Of course it was just an attempt: it doesn't work even without wrappers.
Strange because arcade stick I use (Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4) is a XInput (DPAD directions+10 buttons) device, just like the non-working XBox One controller theoretically...

Last edited by hexaae; Nov 18, 2020 at 01:38 AM.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2020, 01:50 AM
Wait... !!
This made the magic: for unknown reason in Advanced settings it wasn't set as the 'Preferred device' even if it was the only connected controller. Setting it as the 'Preferred device' solved the issue and it finally works!

https://i.ibb.co/0M2stTQ/image.png

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 18, 2020, 08:12 AM
Good to hear! I wonder in retrospect if JJ2 was maybe picking it up as joystick 2 before, not joystick 1.