Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Sprite animation and why it's evil

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Dec 6, 2002, 07:46 AM
Sprite animation and why it's evil

I try to draw a SIMPLE little sprite for a comuter game, and two hours later I have this (I draw SLOW)...

Then I'm screaming to myself "I HAVE TO DRAW ALL THAT AGAIN!?!?!". If I draw it again, it looks completely different. If I use a selection tool to move pieces around, it looks like the character is "melting". Are there any good programs for making sprites and animating them?

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Captain Spam

Retired administrator

Captain Spam has disabled reputation

Dec 6, 2002, 08:54 AM
I'm afraid it's the same as traditional animation. You'll have to keep drawing it over and over again if you want it to look right.

However, with sprites, you typically have the advantage of a smaller canvas and much larger tolerance from your audience as to what is acceptable, quality-wise. You can usually get away with making small mistakes or lapses of detail in the pics and it won't be noticed when the sprite is actually being used.

The Dementia of Magic
... Somewhere between Tolkien and Monty Python.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Dec 6, 2002, 09:26 AM
Or you could copy and paste and change what's going to be changed.
Batty Buddy

JCF Member

Batty Buddy is doing well so far

Dec 6, 2002, 10:31 AM
Que Passa!!!!

I did the copy and paste thing with two sprite animations of Ms. Leleb for a game I was trying to make on Klick & Play(It was a long time ago.) The only two animations were her ducking(She folds her leaf over her body, hiding herself under it like... a really flat person hiding under a rug.) and her death scene(Her face explodes, leaving it blackened, then she blinks twice and shakes off the ashes.) I had to draw her actual body in different positions a total of three times. The major problem with copy-paste animation is... it runs the risk of not looking very professional. If you don't mind taking that risk, by all means- do it, but if you defanately want a professional animation, just bite the bullet and draw your guy a few more times(Although you COULD use copy paste animation on that sword and shield of his...)

"I must be the personification of the rage to live,
hit me, dunk me, insult me, I'll still hang in there...

...I wonder why..."
-Howard the Duck
Proud to be the 100th, 600th, 666th, and 1000th poster in the "Slime the Poster above you" thread...
Even though I had to cheat... Thank you, The Cheat.
(RIP William Hanna)
"I claim Page 4 in the name of my sexy female self."
-Radium.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Dec 6, 2002, 12:57 PM
I tried Copy+Paste and it didn't work very good. And I don't think using it on just the sword and shield would look good either, since they'd change the angle they're viewed by alot.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

JJ BBoy KS is doing well so far

Dec 7, 2002, 08:42 PM
Woah, that looks really cool!

But yeah...I guess you just have to draw it all, and copy+paste when possible (If it looks okay) and use the same frame as much as you can.