Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Sep 19, 2015, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
I was referring to that one, particular thing that I have mentioned (collecting over 99 ammo). In 1.00g by default you can collect over 99, in JJ2+ you have need the specific code written for the level where you want this kind of ability. IMHO being able to collect more than 99 ammo by default is superior.
Why would I ever need to use other ammo that much? The more ammo you can hold, the less thought there is to shooting. Wheres the fun in spamming shots* all the time?

I use blaster 97% of the time in normal SP. That's all I need.

*Yes, I dislike the fact blaster is unlimited too

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Sep 19, 2015, 06:05 PM
The question of how much ammo is best to be able to carry at one time is not particularly related to JJ2+ and should better be taken to a different thread I think
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:10 PM
Love & Thunder
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: See Violet's post - take discussions about both online and offline ammo limits elsewhere
proud2beamerican

JCF Member

proud2beamerican is doing well so far

Sep 22, 2015, 03:50 PM
I noticed that sugar rush is now brought to another level. I remember that in 1.00g you had only 15 seconds of that and apart from the sign on top there were no other indication that you're having that rush. Now we're dealing with flashing stars and music. IMO that music is really annoying, I feel like that especially after playing bonus level in QoB pack, you get to hear sugar rush music every 30 seconds... And you can't really listen to that beautiful tune of the level. Is there a way to turn off the sugar music? I tried doing so by deleting the music file, but then I just get 20 seconds of silence, and still can't hear the level music

JCF Member

Sep 22, 2015, 08:41 PM
Quote:
I noticed that sugar rush is now brought to another level. I remember that in 1.00g you had only 15 seconds of that and apart from the sign on top there were no other indication that you're having that rush. Now we're dealing with flashing stars and music. IMO that music is really annoying, I feel like that especially after playing bonus level in QoB pack, you get to hear sugar rush music every 30 seconds... And you can't really listen to that beautiful tune of the level. Is there a way to turn off the sugar music? I tried doing so by deleting the music file, but then I just get 20 seconds of silence, and still can't hear the level music
Sugar rush is not a music file, it's a sound effect stored.

And how did you delete this so called ""music file""?

proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Sep 24, 2015, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Sugar rush is not a music file, it's a sound effect stored.

And how did you delete this so called ""music file""?
That's what I thought I did. I deleted some files and had to mess something up as I get 20 seconds of silence instead of the music.

Then again... I found out that this is actually not even a JJ2+ feature, the only thing added were the flashing stars, and the music exists in any regular JJ2 newer than 1.00g...

NOTE TO MODERATORS: since all this talking about Sugar Rush is not actually related to JJ2+ please feel free to delete all the content.

On the other hand I face 2 problems while playing JJ2+.
1. when I fight a boss and die, I am restarted with the boss music instead of the level music. This problem does NOT occur in regular JJ2.
2. I think this is a problem that occurs in regular JJ2, but since JJ2+ doesn't fix this issue I may as well share this: whenever I run into the crate or power-up and I try to jump I get stuck in the ground.

Last edited by proud2beamerican; Sep 24, 2015 at 03:36 PM.

JCF Member

Sep 24, 2015, 04:00 PM
Quote:
On the other hand I face 2 problems while playing JJ2+.
1. when I fight a boss and die, I am restarted with the boss music instead of the level music. This problem does NOT occur in regular JJ2.
2. I think this is a problem that occurs in regular JJ2, but since JJ2+ doesn't fix this issue I may as well share this: whenever I run into the crate or power-up and I try to jump I get stuck in the ground.
1. Ok, you're right on this one.
2. I can't seem to replicate this. Can you give an example of a level and an area where this bug occurs? You're meant to be able to push crates/PUs in single player.

proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Sep 24, 2015, 06:02 PM
Quote:
2. I can't seem to replicate this. Can you give an example of a level and an area where this bug occurs? You're meant to be able to push crates/PUs in single player.
It happened couple of times, actually. It happened for sure in mlmurdercrow, when I was checking out the random multiplayer level out of curiosity (as I've never actually had a chance to play one back in the days on my 1.00g Jazz). There is a bouncer power-up on top of 1-tile high slope. I ran to it from the left side, Jazz started pushing it but the object did not move. That's when I decided to make a jump and he just got stuck in the ground. When I repeated jump he was just diving in the ground deeper and deeper... I just tried it out again and exactly the same thing happened.
proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Sep 30, 2015, 08:19 PM
One more thing is V E R Y annoying. Whenever I save & run levels and close them with alt+F4 and repeat the process a lot (for various reasons: to check out the levels, to test the changes to the levels etc.) the music tends to turn off. Not always but it happens a lot.

JCF Member

Oct 1, 2015, 11:31 AM
Quote:
One more thing is V E R Y annoying. Whenever I save & run levels and close them with alt+F4 and repeat the process a lot (for various reasons: to check out the levels, to test the changes to the levels etc.) the music tends to turn off. Not always but it happens a lot.
Are you sure saving and running is assigned to JJ2+ from JCS? It'll always open vanilla JJ2 unless you do some renaming. Also, minimising SP turns off the music/sounds temporarily.

Rename jazz2.exe to something like jazz2-.exe and jazz2+.exe to jazz2.exe. Now "Save and run" will open plus from JCS.

proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Oct 1, 2015, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Are you sure saving and running is assigned to JJ2+ from JCS? It'll always open vanilla JJ2 unless you do some renaming. Also, minimising SP turns off the music/sounds temporarily.

Rename jazz2.exe to something like jazz2-.exe and jazz2+.exe to jazz2.exe. Now "Save and run" will open plus from JCS.
I removed jazz2.exe and renamed jazz2+.exe to "jazz2.exe" as soon as I installed JJ2+, so everything I run directly from JCS involves JJ2+.

What do you mean by SP?

JCF Member

Oct 1, 2015, 06:17 PM
Quote:
What do you mean by SP?
SP = Single player. MP = Multiplayer

Clicking off a JJ2 window running single player/the menu will often turn off the sound and pause the game.

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 1, 2015, 08:30 PM
it's probably just issue #191, trey

JCF Member

Oct 19, 2015, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Clicking off a JJ2 window running single player/the menu will often turn off the sound and pause the game.
Perhaps we're talking about different issues: when I'm turning off the whole SP game with alt+F4, then go back to JCS and click ctrl+R to run it again, the music is set to mute. I have to go to the menu and set back the volume. The volume of the sound effects is always fine though.

Additionally: I finally know why the JJ2+ didn't work on my Linux: I have safety settings that do not allow any other program to use my wifi unless it's my internet browser. So it turned out that JJ2+ requires internet connection, otherwise it won't run at all. I double checked that on the Windows 10 laptop: when I turned off the wifi I could not run JJ2+. Is there any solution to that? It's especially annoying because I never play online.

And one last thing: some music files do not run. for example neve.s3m never plays in any level. Pretty strange thing. I just get the silence.

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 19, 2015, 11:37 PM
FWIW the internet connection thing is not a problem I've ever had on Windows 7. Are there other WINE users out there who could weigh in?

JCF Member

Oct 20, 2015, 12:08 AM
Quote:

And one last thing: some music files do not run. for example neve.s3m never plays in any level. Pretty strange thing. I just get the silence.
Slaz made a post about this in the JJ2+ bug reports thread.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 20, 2015, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
FWIW the internet connection thing is not a problem I've ever had on Windows 7. Are there other WINE users out there who could weigh in?
Works fine for me with internet disconnected, though that's with Wine on OS X rather than Linux. Maybe it's different with the app-level settings that proud2beamerican uses, too.

JCF Éminence Grise

Oct 20, 2015, 02:32 AM
That could be. JJ2+ does attempt to query a remote page to see if the user is running the most recent version; it's designed not to care very much if it can't find the page in a reasonable amount of time, but I don't know what the app settings might be thinking of that query.

JCF Member

CowCatcher is doing well so far

Oct 25, 2015, 11:22 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, although I've been playing Jazz 2 with plus for years. So please forgive me if these questions have been answered a million times.

I understand that recently the resolution has been increased to 800x600. Obviously there would be a problem with maps if it was above this. My question is, is it technically possible to increase it to, say 1600x900 or some other widescreen resolution? How about compatibility mode for some maps or servers? Or scaling and cropping for fairness?

My other question is, would it be possible to inject some modern graphics features into the game, like replacing the water or lighting, or giving sprites more definition?

Thanks! And sorry for my ignorance!

Last edited by CowCatcher; Oct 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Resolution stuff

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 25, 2015, 11:32 AM
Welcome!

As for the former: I guess it depends on what you consider "technically possible", but it is. It's not easy though, as all the new screen area needs some place in memory, and JJ2's memory management wasn't written to accommodate so much graphics data.

There are already some commands to limit resolution, e.g. /maxresolution.

As for the latter: more advanced rendering is being worked on, but obviously it's a fairly large project (lots of things to replace/edit), and as such it's hard to give an estimate for when it would be done.

JCF Member

burnout92 is doing well so far

Nov 2, 2015, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowCatcher View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, although I've been playing Jazz 2 with plus for years. So please forgive me if these questions have been answered a million times.

I understand that recently the resolution has been increased to 800x600. Obviously there would be a problem with maps if it was above this. My question is, is it technically possible to increase it to, say 1600x900 or some other widescreen resolution? How about compatibility mode for some maps or servers? Or scaling and cropping for fairness?
I'm tried to use the /maxresolution command in my laptop. It wasn't to increase the resolution above to 800x600. Any ideas?

Administrator

Nov 2, 2015, 04:52 PM
800x600 is the max resolution at the moment. Anything larger is not supported.

JCF Member

burnout92 is doing well so far

Nov 2, 2015, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
800x600 is the max resolution at the moment. Anything larger is not supported.
Okay, thanks Stijn.

JCF Member

Nov 5, 2015, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdinh1 View Post
No option for setting FPS limit? Guess JJ2 is toast since I'm going for Windows 10.
This problem sounds rather vague. If it's about fullscreen being choppy, there's a way to work around that: http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=19870

Otherwise, you can stick to windowed.

However, this is not about "setting FPS". It's a buffering issue, which causes old PC games in fullscreen to go choppy in Windows 8 and beyond. Plus did try to fix that, but it's not easy. Microsoft assumes no one wants to play old games in fullscreen.

If you're complaing about it going beyond 60fps...why does that even matter?

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Nov 5, 2015, 11:27 AM
As a Windows 10 user, I can attest to the functioning nature of JJ2.

As for >60FPS concerns; again, shouldn't really be a problem. If you get tearing, you could try DXWND, but I fail to see the point TBH; the only time JJ2 hasn't run flawlessly for me is when I've tried to play it in a VM.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 5, 2015, 12:58 PM
Guys, you're replying to either a bot or a doppelgänger. We already discussed that earlier in this thread and it's using the precise wording of SAMI's.

JCF Member

Nov 5, 2015, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Guys, you're replying to either a bot or a doppelgänger. We already discussed that earlier in this thread and it's using the precise wording of SAMI's.
My bad. I forgot that post completely.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Nov 8, 2015, 06:23 AM
After a lot of tests using bigjazz and new plus [without bigjazz] for resolutions-

I realized that JJ2 bugs out/ crashes frequently if using any resolution which isn't 4:3 aspect ratio. I get crash on SP episode select with 800x480, 1280x720 etc, and I cant return to window mode once I switch fullscreen- alt tab causes crash.

Now with 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960 etc- I didn't face any of the above problems.

Well, this is atleast happening with my Pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdinh1 View Post
No option for setting FPS limit? Guess JJ2 is toast since I'm going for Windows 10.
^
Looks like this thing is causing some errors with my account. I've last visited on 21 October. Even after that, I didn't see any new post when I click on "New Post". But latest post was on 6 November. Strange.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 8, 2015, 12:17 PM
bigjazz is not supported in any way.

JCF Member

Nov 8, 2015, 08:58 PM
By the way, do we know for certain that 800 and 600 are the absolute highest width and height Jazz 2 functionally and stably supports at this time?
(Just making sure this is the case. I apologise if this is redundant; it's 5 AM)

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 8, 2015, 09:15 PM
Yes, because I manually expanded various arrays to support that particular resolution, but not any larger ones. The primary offenders are textured backgrounds, ambient lighting, water, and the main menu screens, as well as the code for figuring out in general which tiles should be drawn on screen. An in-progress build was more flexible and (if you disabled the first three things) supported any resolution your monitor would—I've got various 1366x768 screenshots sitting around—but it had issues with FPS and general atmosphere. 800x600 was chosen.

JCF Member

Nov 8, 2015, 10:00 PM
Fair enough. And although I almost completely agree with you in 800x600 being the highest resolution, I do have one reservation about this, which is the lack of support for 854x480. Maybe it's just me, but I personally think that would be the best of both worlds in terms of compatibility with old levels, while still looking good on modern monitors.
(Although maybe that's just my 5 AM logic talking)

JCF Member

Nov 9, 2015, 05:08 AM
I think 854x480 isn't implemented because most monitors don't support this resolution at all. The nearest one to get is 800x480 which is not available on many monitors either.

Having an Aspect Ratio option would be more useful since we can then have our desired AR with default resolution [640x480].

But then again, the way the game works- I don't think it's easy at all to have that thing. So yeah, I vote for 854x480 and 800x480. We need these resolutions to be bug free. 800x480 is not doing good [It's crashing my JJ2].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
bigjazz is not supported in any way.

I didn't use plus with bigjazz. And yeah, it does crash but its more with widescreen resolutions. Atleast on my pc.

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Nov 27, 2015, 05:42 PM
This patch is awesome, it gives so many possibilities.

Violet CLM, I would like to thank you for making this awesome patch. Now there are more possibilities of what I can do for my next level I'll work on.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Nov 30, 2015, 01:04 PM
The game itself has been updated, but not the level editor, I still have the same old level editor, can someone tell me how I can upgrade the level editor? Thank you.

JCF Member

Nov 30, 2015, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
The game itself has been updated, but not the level editor, I still have the same old level editor, can someone tell me how I can upgrade the level editor? Thank you.
You have to update your JCS.ini. It needs to be done manually. It's found in the Jazz2 folder. You will find what to edit on the first page of this thread.

I don't really know why plus doesn't come with an updated jcs.ini. The majority do not have a modified JCS.ini - those people who do can just click no if they don't want it to be overwritten.

Talking of that, I was meant to upload mine for convenience.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 11, 2015, 12:41 PM
I was wondering ... I always loved the background layer 8 tiles with an actual painting rather that a texture (Labrat, Inferno, Damn, Egypt by Agama ...)
Does JJ2+ offer a way to rescale those to fit the screen so you can eg. see the entire Damn background even in 640x480 and the entire Egypt background even in 800x600?

Example:

Last edited by DennisKainz; Dec 11, 2015 at 01:41 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 11, 2015, 04:34 PM
Sure. It'll look pixelated, of course, but you can create a jjPIXELMAP from the contents of layer 8, save it to a sprite, then draw that sprite using jjCANVAS::drawResizedSprite in onDrawLayer8.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 12, 2015, 02:50 AM
That's awesome! Not only I can do this with layer 8, but with any layer!
And to think that we used to make levels without AngelScript once ...

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2015, 07:26 AM
So, I guess in future, tileset makers should probably make painted/non-textured backgrounds at 800x600, since then they can be downscaled for 640x480.

JCF Member

Dec 15, 2015, 03:59 AM
Can you please add 800x480 in window mode aswell?

Because it's only for fullscreen and I can't go to window mode because of this. And incase I alt-tab the game [minimize] , the game crashes

So, having 800x480, 720x480 in both fullscreen and window mode will be great. [These are already supported in Fulscreen mode].