Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Bug Report Server keeps crashing every two to three days

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Nov 4, 2020, 10:50 AM
Server keeps crashing every two to three days

Hello modders,

I have noticed that ever since I am running plus 5.7, the Puke Nuk3m Tests server keeps ending up in an Access Violation every two to three days. The weird thing is that it only occurs on that particular server. All other servers are running fine. It might be caused by the mutators running on that server. I can't think of another cause to be honest.

I have downgraded plus to 5.6 and the server stopped crashing.

I wanted to address this issue in hope that it might be resolved in future updates, so I won't have to stick with 5.6 forever. And I do miss the advanced spam kicking functionality. Without it, I will have to keep the server passworded from unfriendly clients.

If more information is required, feel free to leave a reply.

~ShakerNL

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 4, 2020, 01:11 PM
Fixing crashes is definitely important to us, but right now it's hard to tell where to even begin searching for a cause. It's very useful that you determined it happens only on one server. Does it only happen on cycle between levels? Besides mutators, could there be specific levels that trigger it? If this is one of the types of crashes that JJ2 displays a custom message for (e.g. an access violation), a screenshot of the crash message would also be helpful.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Nov 4, 2020, 04:07 PM
I think it happens on a cycle between levels. I usually get told by people that the server went down. I noticed that it does not occur on a specific level, but rather at a specific time. After restarting the server, I cycled to the level that was supposed to load and it loaded just fine.

I have restarted the server with the latest plus version and will wait for it to crash, so I can provide a screenshot of the AV window.

~ShakerNL

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 4, 2020, 04:46 PM
A specific time? Like a time of day or something, or time since last server restart?

Many thanks, I know it's inconvenient for your players that the server crashes but any extra info might help us resolve the issue sooner.

JCF Member

Nov 5, 2020, 04:24 PM
Usually a specific time since last restart. It's up for one day now, so it should crash in the next 24 ~48 hours.

~ShakerNL

JCF Member

Nov 9, 2020, 12:10 PM
It took more than four days this time. Probably due to low activity / less cycling, but there she is!

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2020, 08:00 AM
Update: It seems that it's also crashing on 5.6 now. I'll just make a workaround by using a script that restarts the server every once in a while.

This thread may be closed.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2020, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the update! Fixing crashes remains important regardless of when they were introduced so I'll keep the thread open in case we find it possible to identify the cause.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2020, 02:20 PM
Me and Lahm also noticed that when someone types !next often enough to get auto-kicked, sespamfilter.mut will go berserk and the server crashes after a cycle. Then I realised that this mutator has become obsolete by plus 5.7.
So, I am now hosting on 5.7 again to see if it will crash or not.

Tags
accessviolation, crash, tests