Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Virus around in JJ2

Super Saiyan

JCF Member

Super Saiyan is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 11:54 AM
Exclamation Virus around in JJ2

Beware

A week ago I heard from a friend he had some problems with JJ2. He said the names in the server-list (F9) keep on changing in: Lets keep it a bit normal here : (Derby: A bunch of inappropriate or otherwise, bad words) and Etc. These wich I said were only a few examples. There are much more. Im not quite sure what really happends because I dont have the virus my self but the one wich have, a few friends of me, say you cant do a thing about it. When you Re-Install jj2 it doents work. You keep the virus. So just lets say simple what the virus actually does: The names in the F9 list change into 'bad' words. So beware about this virus ore what it is. It may is spreading itself over the jj2 Networks ore is just using the computer to spread itself.
This are the guys wich have it: UmbaMan, Tazz, Goldy. These three are all TSF players, so it might only spreads over TSF. Who knows. Tell us if you have the virus also!

Ow yeah, you cant get rid off the virus. Umbaman, doesnts have it anymore, he said you just must wait until it doesnts work anymore. It may have a limited time of working. Btw, FQuist told me to post this on JCF, before he post news on j2o.

Derby: Content replacement.

Last edited by Derby; Apr 17, 2002 at 03:08 PM.
||Slim

JCF Member

||Slim has disabled reputation

Apr 17, 2002, 12:07 PM
hmmm....

are you sure it isnt some problem with the filter?

i doubt it could be a virus..

JCF Member

Rage has disabled reputation

Apr 17, 2002, 12:12 PM
There are no such things as viruses spreading via JJ2. We discussed that some time ago with the BOMB thang.

Must be a late april fools joke or sumptin...

If you have this virus thing, please take shots of it..
ElectroPiZZa

JCF Member

ElectroPiZZa is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 12:19 PM
I sincerely doubt this.

For one thing, it is nearly impossible to change player names via clients on the fly in that manner. You would need some extensive memory-editing or client-based hex editing type tools to do anything like that, and you cannot modify the netcode to display different values of connected players at all. If such an event occurs, you might want to send me a screenshot of it, although I think this is some throwoff to make people stop playing JJ2. If this is indeed true, I will look into this.
Super Saiyan

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2002, 12:44 PM
The one wich has the virus only will see the strange names. The server and the other wich dont have the virus will just see normal names. So the virus actually messes up your jj2 game, and dont effect others.

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2002, 12:46 PM
Ill ask UmbaMan ore Goldy for a pic. Though Umba doensts has the virus anymore.

Banned

ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 12:57 PM
Unhappy yea i saw that virus too

i got the same problem :
-Chanche of the nickname,s int obad name,s
-automatellywarp to other positions
-automatelly your jj2 screen goes black cant do anything {only exit}but can take a vieuw on the server{chatting}

so now 4 people having trouble with this why me!reinstall didnt work
ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC

Banned

Apr 17, 2002, 01:09 PM
Exclamation i took schreenshot

so here proofed happy now?

cantsee

anywhay no i profe it to you all what can we do abaut it i'wait but...
atleast
-you now see what happends the virus or whatever chanche,s the nickname,s
-Lets you automatic warp to other psoitions and yo uwil get stuck
Shadow XZ

JCF Member

Shadow XZ is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 01:21 PM
Virus' are real... I've had one a while back and so did Roseta and Icegoddess where it removed the JOL from our names and even if you manually entered it, it added other stuff. Plus I had a virus before with a bannlist of every jazz player... so virus on jj2? Very likely.
Nova

JCF Member

Nova is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 01:28 PM
The Guy 'Kick Me' in The Server was Supersaiyan.
Mystical

JCF Member

Mystical is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nova
The Guy 'Kick Me' in The Server was Supersaiyan.
you shure?

Determined Leader of *
MaGoo

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 02:12 PM
This isn't a virus. Server hosts can create extra long names in their regedit, and the part of their name that you can't see in the game goes on other people's names.

JCF Member

Nova is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I'm Sure Myst,
I Was in Da Server

Magoo May Be Right, I Have Done That Before...

-- Nova
||Slim

JCF Member

||Slim has disabled reputation

Apr 17, 2002, 02:17 PM
geez.. this is IMPOSSIBLE. theres NO way whatsoever that this could happen ( pretty much ) anyway.. when did you recieve this anyway? theres no way it couldve came "bundled" from a .j2l file, etc. (btw bunnyelmer that pic doesnt work)

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Apr 17, 2002, 02:32 PM
EP: It is possible over a remote computer. It does sound like a virus and I know how to replicate several of it's affects, it'd just be getting a program over the net to do it locally that would be a tougie.

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 03:54 PM
Yes, I agree with Kaz. This stuff is easy with memory addresses.

But it cannot be spread through JJ2. You would have to get it externally (like an email attachment or a download or something).

And the pic does work, you just can't link to geocities pictures. Just right-click on the link below it, click "copy shortcut", then paste into your address bar.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

ElectroPiZZa

JCF Member

ElectroPiZZa is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2002, 04:55 PM
Well, it is still true that executable commands wouldn't be easily accomplished within JJ2 netplay. It just doesn't seem likely.

(by the way, this is the 10,000th post in General Jazz 2 Talk)
Mystical

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2002, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ||Slim
geez.. this is IMPOSSIBLE. theres NO way whatsoever that this could happen ( pretty much ) anyway.. when did you recieve this anyway? theres no way it couldve came "bundled" from a .j2l file, etc. (btw bunnyelmer that pic doesnt work)
I think it is possible.

Determined Leader of *
Mystical

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2002, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow XZ
Virus' are real... I've had one a while back and so did Roseta and Icegoddess where it removed the JOL from our names and even if you manually entered it, it added other stuff. Plus I had a virus before with a bannlist of every jazz player... so virus on jj2? Very likely.
I know someone who had this problem until they removed everything from their banlist

Determined Leader of *

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 17, 2002, 10:17 PM
Bunny Elmer's problem seems to be a different situation, no bad words, and only half of the players look weird. I think that one was a hoax(or Bunny Elmer was set up)

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Apr 18, 2002, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectroPiZZa
Well, it is still true that executable commands wouldn't be easily accomplished within JJ2 netplay. It just doesn't seem likely.

(by the way, this is the 10,000th post in General Jazz 2 Talk)
It could be easily done I think - it apparently only effects the people with it, so it might modify some of the memory values, maybe some stuff in the JJ2exe, who knows. But it couldn't come from a level or tileset file, it is most likely from an exe (almost certainly). So maybe it came in those little programs and trainers and all people like fiddling with while in single player mode. But this does seem like a serious problem.

Hm...if you can't get rid of it, don't just reinstall. Uninstall JJ2, delete the extra files left over in the folder, and go download and run the JJ2 Registry Key remover so you can reinstall JJ2: http://www.jazzjackrabbit.com

I THINK that's what you might need to try anyway, although you should ask someone like Alberto, Kaz or Newspaz first. I'm not going to be held responsible if you uninstall it wrong.
Air Wolf

JCF Member

Air Wolf is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2002, 02:42 AM
Argh, known da problem =p

nah, don't vory, there is no ''net-work virus''
I have had this a couple of time, but ''only'' on special servers, or when there where lots of lag.
This might happend if your connecting and there is many that chat, i tried too, there is 3 ways:
1. Re-enter
2. Wait until you found a place ;P
3. Restart your computer

This is just usual connecting problems, first i tried this was on one of Irony's level. I waited until it stopped with warping and ended in other end of level =p
If it continue, god will ban da lag ;p, and you will soon loose your connecting.
There is no way to fight back lag at what i known ;p
I do always rid of warp error with restart, try it

Air Wolf

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 02:47 AM
I give a cokie to the person who makes post 15000 on jazz2 oginal talk forum

=P

JCF Member

Michael is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2002, 03:03 AM
That's not a virus. Change the name of this topic to save time of ppl who are short of it.
Mystical

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 05:37 AM
yah.
Someone I know used to have poroblems with the annimatimations; when someone was jazz they looked like spaz and jazz looked like spaz..
sometimes even the same prob as when someone on 1.23 edits it so they can play tsf; even though thats not what she did.

Then she re:downloaded the server patch and it was fixed; she had tho do that each time she had the problem though..

Determined Leader of *
ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC

Banned

Apr 18, 2002, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystical

you shure?
yeah we/i am sure if you look at the pic{that isnt working;p}but click on cantsee then you wil see i where chatting on msn with Ssj he where the host server called: Súpérsáyiáñ
Super Saiyan

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 10:58 AM
Arrow

Ok, here are two pictures wich Goldy took when she had that strange F9 list.

Picture One

Picture Two

Thats the profe. Be sure to check also the score at the second picture (Upper-Left).

JCF Member

..::Goldy::.. has disabled reputation

Apr 18, 2002, 11:06 AM
If the upper pictures did not work i'll try it again just to be sure.

click here

i really hope it works so yall will see that we are telling the truth.
and btw: for everyone who thinks i'm a hacker: I'M NOT just don't listen to what winner says! besides i don't even know how to hack!

[Don't let today's disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow's dreams.]
Shiverz

Apr 18, 2002, 11:36 AM
Unhappy

Ive Never had this problem

Untitled

Apr 18, 2002, 11:42 AM
Let's try and get the facts straight

Just blithering on about the "virus" is not going to get us anywhere. Let's stay on topic about this and try and get what we know together.

Description: The virus changes your local F9 players list so that all the names are bad words. It does not affect anyone else in the server. It may warp you around and turn your screen black, but that could be something else.

Who has it: UmbaMan, Tazz, and Goldy. BunnyElmer may have it.

Other information: It does not disappear when you reinstall JJ2, but may have a time limit as to how long it will continue working.

My hypothesis: This "virus" is an external program that does memory hacking to do this stuff. Most likely it was made in Visual Basic. It has probably been disguised as another program, such as a trainer. With only three or four people having it, it is likely that it is not spread through JJ2.

What I want to know: Do the people who have this virus use or have used any pre-made trainer at any time? It doesn't matter if it is multiplayer or single player. If so, what program(s) have you used? What do they do? Who gave them to you?
When this virus is occuring, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and see if there are any suspicious things running.

~ E.J. Pratt

Super Saiyan

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 11:54 AM
Re: Let's try and get the facts straight

Quote:
Originally posted by Link
Just blithering on about the "virus" is not going to get us anywhere. Let's stay on topic about this and try and get what we know together.

Description: The virus changes your local F9 players list so that all the names are bad words. It does not affect anyone else in the server. It may warp you around and turn your screen black, but that could be something else.

Who has it: UmbaMan, Tazz, and Goldy. BunnyElmer may have it.

Other information: It does not disappear when you reinstall JJ2, but may have a time limit as to how long it will continue working.

My hypothesis: This "virus" is an external program that does memory hacking to do this stuff. Most likely it was made in Visual Basic. It has probably been disguised as another program, such as a trainer. With only three or four people having it, it is likely that it is not spread through JJ2.

What I want to know: Do the people who have this virus use or have used any pre-made trainer at any time? It doesn't matter if it is multiplayer or single player. If so, what program(s) have you used? What do they do? Who gave them to you?
When this virus is occuring, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and see if there are any suspicious things running.
Ok, I know this virus isnt such evil. It even doesnts deserve the name virus. I just posted because if people have the 'virus' they will know Its not a bug in their game ore something and that other people have it too. Ow yeah UmbaMan, Goldy Etc. are not them all, Im sure there are more people. And it does (I think) spreads itself over some strange way. But believe me I arnt trying to spamm J2o ore JJ2, Its just a Alert.

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2002, 12:02 PM
Did this all happen in the same server?

I'm guessing this is the work of the server whoever was hosting that...

To explain what I bet they did is that they editted the names of the people who would enter the server. Now, anyone who joined after the names were editted for the server would see a different name than the person originally had since the server would be sending an editted version of the user name list to the joining client. So, it would also explain why no one else had a different name, but all of the other names were changed. If what I'm thinking is right, it is no virus, just the server messing around changing memory values.
..::Goldy::..

JCF Member

..::Goldy::.. has disabled reputation

Apr 18, 2002, 12:10 PM
Trust me, it wasn't in the same server, even when i was at home i hosted a server (not on internet) and i saw myself being warped all over the place and changing names. So i'm sure it's not the host.

[Don't let today's disappointments cast a shadow on tomorrow's dreams.]
ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC

Banned

Apr 18, 2002, 12:29 PM
chanching the name,s can be happen on all servers 1.23 and TSF
and you getting warper on all too your own nickname chanche,s too

why aren.t you beleaving us Dizzy were asking for help
Super Saiyan

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 12:31 PM
Look, the first example-pic wich Bunny Elmer took, was made in MY server.
The last two example-pics, Goldy made in BackSlash (Im not quite sure) Server, I was also in it. Now, I dont think Backslash cant do that memory value. He is just not smart enaugh to do it =P Me neighter, because I dont really exactly understand what do you want to mean Dizzy.
But let me explain the Virus a bit,

1. The virus can warp the victim to other places. Just out his self.
2. You can get a black screen, you only then can see the text in the server.
3. The virus changes the names in the F9-list.
4. It also effect the score limits.

So it might be just a program wich automatticly runs itsself when JJ2 starts. I still my self dont know how this program spreads itself. It maybe even doesnts do it. But those victims wich have it may got it from eachother/someone by some strange way.

Ok this is all what I heard from the 'victims'. My self, I dont have the virus.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 18, 2002, 12:49 PM
Let's set one thing straight: it can't spread through jj2 itself. It must be an outside influence.

Like Link asked, have these persons ever used jj2 utilities, or did they download suspicious jj2 stuff?

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

Air Wolf

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 12:57 PM
LOL, Virus?!?!?

This is crazy! =P
1. Virus arent there for change gameplay, virus is for destroy gameplay =p
2. I known Wreid, I don't belive this
3. This is not posible, that name's changes into correctly spelled words ;p...Do that just prove enoph?

=P

If yea want that cokie, be sure on to post da post ;P
Mystical

JCF Member

Apr 18, 2002, 01:57 PM
Yep it was probably the host of a server edditing memory values.
Someone told me about some program Overloard made it lets the host change thier own nickname when they are hosting and my guess is that they probably converted it so it eddited another players name.

And I thought it was impossible to warp other players to another position; probably eddited the memory values to make it possible.

Roseta told me about this: She went to Blurredd's server and when she left the server; someone elese and her names changed and became big;
another problem she had: the end of her name once changed from JOL to LOJ or something; she quit Jj2 and eddited regedit then changed it back; closed regedit then restarted Jj2.

Determined Leader of *
Bobby aka Dizzy

(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)istrator

Bobby aka Dizzy is doing well so far

Apr 18, 2002, 02:39 PM
Quote:
1. The virus can warp the victim to other places. Just out his self.
2. You can get a black screen, you only then can see the text in the server.
3. The virus changes the names in the F9-list.
4. It also effect the score limits.
1. Does it warp the person playing or do you see "ghosts" of other people, people that appear to be around you but don't move since they really aren't there.

2. Could be the black hole type of bug when looping a level in extreme lag... might not.

3. Changing names can be done by the server so you have a different name to everyone who joins after you do...

4. Does it appear to change the score for the client but the level will still change after a certain number? Or does the limit change for the server?

Untitled

Apr 18, 2002, 02:44 PM
Do you see the players names in the list changing before your eyes? Or are they already like this when you join.

~ E.J. Pratt