Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Remap tile-indices - J2L Tool by zapS

proud2beamerican

JCF Member

proud2beamerican is doing well so far

Jan 28, 2017, 12:03 PM
Remap tile-indices - J2L Tool by zapS

I always get so frustrated with all those great tools on j2o and none of it working on my machines. I'm in a huuuge need of remapping tile-indices and it seems that there is a perfect tool just for me, but unfortunately up high in the skies. Whenever i open the J2L tool it just opens the command-line window (black screen basically speaking) for like a .001 of the second and closes. The same happens on my Linux machine with the help of Wine as well as on my friend's Windows 10 laptop. The only operation that I am actually able to perform is to drag the lvl file on the application file and extract the stats.txt file. Any ideas how can I make use of it? Or is this program good only for like Windows XP?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 28, 2017, 12:22 PM
This one, right?

You should try running it from the command prompt, that way you can actually pass arguments to it. It has a readme file that gives instructions for use.

JCF Member

Jan 28, 2017, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Yes.

As far as the commands go - sure, I can see them in the readme file. However, like I mentioned, I can't launch the program. This is what I get when using prompt:

Code:
C:\Users\win>
C:\Users\win>C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\J2L_Tool.exe
You're doing it wrong!
C:\Users\win>C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\J2L_Tool.exe C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\tube.j2l
Level C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\tube.j2l loaded.
Statsfile created at:
C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\tube.j2l.stats.txt
C:\Users\win>C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\J2L_Tool.exe < C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\tube.j2l >
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

C:\Users\win>J2L_Tool < C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\tube.j2l >
The syntax of the command is incorrect.

C:\Users\win>C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\J2L_Tool.exe < C:\Jazz2\downloads\j2ltool\tube.j2 l> < swap data file >
< was unexpected at this time.
As you can see the only successful action was creating the Statsfile.

(I had to create spaces after "<" and before ">" otherwise it won't show it on forum)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 28, 2017, 08:46 PM
Okay, so what the angle brackets mean in that context is something like "these characters should not be typed literally but instead tell you which characters you should be typing instead." So when you see this in the readme:
Code:
J2L_Tool SPLIT <level>
then, supposing you're working with e.g. mylevel.j2l, the readme is telling you that you should be typing:
Code:
J2L_Tool SPLIT mylevel.j2l

JCF Member

Jan 29, 2017, 11:25 AM
Gotcha. Now it actually works and it's so easy! Appreciate your explanation. and you see, there are people out there who are not computer savvy but decide to have some fun anyways. That's the moment when you want to tell them everything literally cuz hell the small "<" won't tell them all that story!