Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

tell some of the levels what u are buiding and goning on j2o

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

May 15, 2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Just some advice: Save in PNG instead, JPEG is just ugly to use on games and images with limited colours.
Seriously, it creates distortion, and seperately compresses squares of pixels which creates a horrible effect.
Other than that, the level looks very nice, and good luck with finishing it in time for JDC.

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

May 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
I wanna go back to making levels for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, but I had a terrible reputation back when I was active. Well, to be fair I was a kid back then, so maybe it's excusable.

But most of the levels I made got very low ratings. And I deserved it. Now I wanna go back to making levels. But I'm worried that if I do the new levels I make will suck as well. I mean I can't really say I have improved since it's been so long since I made my last level, and getting back into making a level isn't exactly easy.

So I ask, should I go for making another level? I wanna do that, but I'm worried to get low ratings like most of the levels I made a long time ago.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
You'll never know unless you try.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

May 21, 2013, 12:00 AM
At the moment there are too few people making levels, so yes go ahead! Just try to learn from good levels you've seen and from the critics you get on your levels and you'll be fine.
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

May 21, 2013, 11:03 AM
agreed, there's nothing wrong with getting a bad rating anyway, i've gotten some!

practice makes perfect!

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
Foly, I missed the last time I saw that screenshot that it was a Ground Force level, that's really cool if it's true Graphic variety for the win!

Terrorist!

JCF Member

L853RCHU is notorious for his worthless posts

Aug 23, 2013, 12:01 AM
I am working on a tile set called L8-Bit AFK 4EVA.
I am also working on an example level for it.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 23, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hey, you can collect dollars in Violet's screenshot! I'd love to do that!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 24, 2013, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Hey, you can collect dollars in Violet's screenshot! I'd love to do that!
Not quite, it just means the items are for sale:

minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Aug 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
palette & background unfinished:

Last edited by minmay; Aug 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: this is a multiplayer level
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2013, 12:44 PM
what gamemode

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Not quite, it just means the items are for sale:

[image]
How disappointing!

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Aug 24, 2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
what gamemode
battle with LRS or XLRS preferred
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
does the red water kill you?
minmay

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2013, 08:36 PM
yes

Last edited by minmay; Aug 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: and server admins can choose its speed and acceleration

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2013, 03:00 AM
That's just evil!

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Aug 26, 2013, 06:25 PM

Temporary Level Layout Image from Dropbox

I'm making one last update for Lost Ages before the summer is over. 3 brand new levels (+1 boss) and extensive modifications for the existing original levels. After this update the pack should be finalized, a story incorporated, and levels be polished and in their final versions (a far cry from what they originally started out as being learning experiments for the first time use of J1E). Unlike the original 6, I made use of the JCS-style J1LES editor when creating these and modifying the originals which is far more convenient to build with, helps me eliminate tiling bugs and focus on the substance of the lvls.

no the new levels dont all use that tileset, image links are back up thanks stijn

Last edited by Blackraptor; Aug 26, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 26, 2013, 07:27 PM
Please don't use BMP files (because they're huge) or Dropbox (because it blocks public access to files after X hits). Use imgur or something.
MilloCz2

JCF Member

MilloCz2 is doing well so far

Aug 27, 2013, 09:56 AM
Hah, I just finished a tool-level that can display mathematical functions, such as x^2 or sin(x).

(random number function)
(sinus function)

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 27, 2013, 11:34 AM
Pretty cool. I had made a similar one too though it's a little more ambitious:

y = arsinh x (inverse hyperbolic sine of x):

y = sgn(x)⋅|x|cos x (sign of x times the absolute value of x to the power of cosine of x):

y = 2x+½⋅sin x (doubled cube root of x plus halved sine of x):

Looks a lot better when you see it animated.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
minmay

JCF Member

Aug 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
clearly the next step is a turing machine

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 27, 2013, 02:51 PM
Bingo. I even started writing code for something like that:
Code:
void onMain(){
  if(jjGameTicks==30){
    jjAlert("I'm a human and not a bot.");
  }
}

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Aug 28, 2013, 01:01 AM
Wow, you guys have awesome stuff going on

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Sep 7, 2013, 11:36 AM
An improved set of the ground tiles from last page:

I'm finding it hard to properly put effort into a tileset these days. Haven't properly done anything JJ2-related in months. Still fun to work on little things like this though.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 7, 2013, 12:06 PM
Looks really good.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 7, 2013, 01:27 PM
Very pretty, though I worry the bricks are on the small side. Good job using a muted enough green that it doesn't dominate the walls' visuals.

JCF Member

AvalancheMaster is doing well so far

Sep 8, 2013, 06:17 AM
Recently I decided to start playing all the old games I grew up with (you know, like Lode Runner, Civilization series, and Nox), and naturally that meant playing JJ2, my favorite platformer of all times. I haven't played JJ2 in 5 or 6 years, so I was pretty excited to find out that a place like J2O still exists and has a number of active players.

Anyway, to cut long story short, I've never been a fan of competitive multiplayer, aside from racing simulators (TrackMania, anyone?) and RTSs. I'm much more intrigued by PvE, and indirect story telling. I played some amazing custom-made single-player episodes that are hosted here, found about the whole JJ2+ thingie, and, thrilled, decided to try myself at creating a custom episode.

Being the half-minded lazy student that I am, I cleverly decided not to try myself at creating a whole episode from scratch, but rather create a single level first, just to test myself and my creativity with JCS.

Anyway, here are some screenshots from 2 days of level-making. No AngelScript yet, because:

a) I haven't coded since first year in Uni, which is 2 years ago
b) I do believe it is more important to polish the level design first before jumping into coding.

Ofcourse that doesn't mean I wouldn't try to put some tweaks in the level - namely, make the rain stop, give the player limited time underwater, make palette changes (going underground? going overground? fighting a boss?), and, if possible, change enemies behavior.

The screenies are below, along with some explanation of some of the zones.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Since it seems that I can post links only if I've made 2 posts or more, it seems that I have to spam 2 more posts to be able to show you the photos (not that you're extremely interested ).

But don't worry, next post will be with the explanation of the zones, and the third will be with the links. I guess it'll be against the rules (not a good first impression from me, eh?), but I hope that an admin or a mod can merge the posts later.
AvalancheMaster AvalancheMaster's Avatar

JCF Member

Sep 8, 2013, 06:18 AM

1. Starting area

2. This place is full of dragonflies. Swarmed even. It's not impossible to kill them, though, it just requires some smart thinking.

Also, I plan to:

a) stop the rain when entering it
b) change the palette

3. Underwater cave. I plan to give the player only 30 seconds underwater, and if they expire - take a heart every 5 seconds.

As you can imagine, full of fish and crabs. Yummy!

4. The "only-the-creatively-thinking-players-can-get-here" area. But you have a hint, don't worry.

5. Warp area.

6. Big open area with rotating spikes and caves that can be reached only with airboard.

Also, I plan the airboard to be timed as well, but will give time boosts here and there.

7. Boss area. You face Uterus.

I plan on getting the water level to gradually increase, drowning the monkey enemies that will be present in the cave at first, but making it harder for you to beat Uterus - and even resulting in a possible death-by-drowning.

We'll see if I can get to that.

JCF Member

Sep 8, 2013, 06:19 AM

Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:06 AM
Treylina
This message has been deleted by Treylina. Reason: nvm

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Sep 8, 2013, 07:17 AM
I'm just going to throw a bit of critique;
1. The rain looks overdone and therefore distracting. Tone down on it a bit, and make it translucent if it isn't.
2. Swnging vines are rather pointless if you don't need to use them at all. It would be better if you would make the player require to use them. If you run at vines, if makes your jump from them higher. Psst, there's also a tilebug in that screenshot too.
3. Not really critique, though messing around with the events and characters can give you more ideas for concepts, without scripting. Breaking/exploiting the game for me can sometimes be the biggest inspiration.
4. You should put a down tube beside the coin warp room if you haven't, because some may attempt to walljump to get up there. Or Spaz golden jump, hard to tell.
5. The layout looks too straight and blocky for a natural tileset. There's a lot of repeating tiles. Mess around with the layout more.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Sep 8, 2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

1. The rain is translucent, and the layer is set at a high autospeed, so it isn't as noticable ingame.

2. Point taken. I will remove the vines.

Also, thanks for mentioning that tilebug, didn't see it before.

4. I should, yes. But my guess is that if somebody tries to wallclimb, he might as well try to cheat - and I can't prevent him from doing so.

5. True that, but the problem is that if I try to make it less blocky, there are some masking problems, resulting in the player getting stuck.

Also, does anyone know a way to extract a palette from a tileset? It would be much easier to edit it directly, than guessing.

Cheers, mate!

JCF Veteran

Sep 8, 2013, 10:33 AM
Here: http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...set-extractor/

Your screenshots look pretty good for a first JJ2 level ever!

JCF Member

Sep 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks!

Well, I did play with the JCS 5 years ago, but that's my fist serious attempt. Also, I have some experience with WarCraft's Worldedit, Trackmania, and Civ3 map editor, and I've even tried SW:BFII's map editor, so I know the basics of a good level design.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 8, 2013, 11:06 AM
Screenshots taken in 8-bit color mode will also net you the palette, assuming you have a program that can read .pcx files. Anyway, I'm liking all those thorns!

JCF Member

Sep 8, 2013, 01:22 PM
Also, thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

EDIT: Gosh, never imagined that a simple palette edit can be such a pain in the rabbit hole!

Last edited by AvalancheMaster; Sep 8, 2013 at 04:44 PM.

JCF Member

Sep 9, 2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheMaster View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

1. The rain is translucent, and the layer is set at a high autospeed, so it isn't as noticable ingame.

2. Point taken. I will remove the vines.

Also, thanks for mentioning that tilebug, didn't see it before.

4. I should, yes. But my guess is that if somebody tries to wallclimb, he might as well try to cheat - and I can't prevent him from doing so.

5. True that, but the problem is that if I try to make it less blocky, there are some masking problems, resulting in the player getting stuck.

Also, does anyone know a way to extract a palette from a tileset? It would be much easier to edit it directly, than guessing.

Cheers, mate!
Wallclimbing is different from walljumping. Wallclimbing is getting stuck in the wall with spaz, while walljumping is gathering speed to jump up higher onto a wall (which can be done with any, spaz just gets you higher).

I extract pallettes quickly and easily with this method (no one has explained the quickest method, don't use MSpain for it). It can also be easily modified:

1. Download tileset extractor (cooba has the link, no point of me posting it again)

2. Download graphics gale. You only need the free version, the retail version only lets you save in formats you don't need for tilesets. I recommend this program because it allows you to edit the pallette directly, and preview the image at the same time, unlike with non 8-bit pallette based programs where you have to edit each colour manually in the image. Link: http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/
Disclaimer: I'm sure there are other pixelart programs that can do this as well, though I'm just explaining the program I'm most used to.

3. Find the appropiate J2T file, and open/use it with tileset extractor.

4. Open graphics gale. You will only need the pallette dock. Close the others. Open the converted PNG tileset file. When you click on a single colour in the pallette and modify it, it will change all of the parts in the image which use that colour. Undo (CTRL + Z) if you're not happy with the change.

5. If that's not what you meant, then I know the other solution which is possible too, in which I extract parts of pallettes from other tilesets.

JCF Member

Sep 20, 2013, 07:39 AM
I've decided to scrap that level I've been working on, not because of boredom, but because it was meant to be an exercise in map-making. It taught me what I wanted; so I've started working on two things simultaneously, one of them being a halloween-themed tileset. Gosh, why don't we have those here?

Here's a little preview. All done by me.

Mind that I'll probably use a lot of resources from opengameart, as I am too lazy, and they have tons of cool useful stuff just lying around that'd be a pity to go to waste.

JCF Member

Sep 20, 2013, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheMaster View Post
I've decided to scrap that level I've been working on, not because of boredom, but because it was meant to be an exercise in map-making. It taught me what I wanted; so I've started working on two things simultaneously, one of them being a halloween-themed tileset. Gosh, why don't we have those here?

Here's a little preview. All done by me.

Mind that I'll probably use a lot of resources from opengameart, as I am too lazy, and they have tons of cool useful stuff just lying around that'd be a pity to go to waste.

It's because a lot of the community consider themselves bad at art, so they don't do tilesets, and/or they don't think it's worth the time. Also, I'd say the haunted TSF tileset is a pretty solid set for halloween, just lacking in backgrounds. Also, I recall the majority of Europe doesn't celebrate Halloween.

I think the reason people don't use opengameart, is that you'd be getting a lot of stuff from random artists that in the end, that the style clashes into a complete mess. That's what happened with Jelzes/Goldrabbit's level. Also, I could improve that pumpkin.

And PLEASE, don't forget you can use more than the JJ2 sprite pallette!

EDIT: During editing this, it looks like you haven't converted these to a pallette at all. They're close to the original sprite pallette, you should convert some of the colours that way.

Last edited by Treylina; Sep 20, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Sep 21, 2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Jelzes/Goldrabbit's level
what

Also, to contribute, I believe that editing can be done to the resources extracted from different locations in order to make them all fit. I know I haven't shown my level in quite some time, but the graphics have been improved in order to make the finished product homogeneous.
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 21, 2013, 12:03 PM
There are other sets that are plausibly Halloweenish, like Darkened Landscape or Desperate Cry.