Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 22, 2016, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
[I know I can always play in Window mode but it looks ugly, choppy and whatnot].
That sounds like maximised windowed mode, which nobody should play in. You can put it down to the proper size by holding onto the edges of the window and dragging it down to its proper size. It won't preview initially, but it should work.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

May 22, 2016, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
You can put it down to the proper size by holding onto the edges of the window and dragging it down to its proper size.
There is a shortcut for that: You can hold CTRL and press F1 to F6 buttons to resize the window. The shortcut for 800x600 is missing though.

Quote:
Getting CTO while changng from Fullscreen to window mode still happens even in Windows 10- no matter what compability mode I set.
It only happens when going from windowed to fullscreen mode. Switch to fullscreen mode before you join a server to prevent a cto.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

May 22, 2016, 11:06 AM
Quote:
That sounds like maximised windowed mode, which nobody should play in. You can put it down to the proper size by holding onto the edges of the window and dragging it down to its proper size. It won't preview initially, but it should work.
Yeah I know that. Thanks for the help. But fullscreen is a better experience unless its possible to got borderless window w/o taskbar. 3d games look good that way cause it upscales quite well. JJ2 looks sharp which is good too but the worst problem still remains as you all know. Vsync is disabled in windoed mode making the game lool unsmooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
There is a shortcut for that: You can hold CTRL and press F1 to F6 buttons to resize the window. The shortcut for 800x600 is missing though.

It only happens when going from windowed to fullscreen mode. Switch to fullscreen mode before you join a server to prevent a cto.
Yep that works. Currently doing this trick. But I can't still alt-tab and use other apps. Because returning back too JJ2 causes a screen blackout which is only possible to fix by switching to window mode and then going fullscreen again causing me CTO.

Anyways, I'll try to figure out something. The game feels half broken now with this severe bug. Fullscreen users who like alt tab during playing are going to have pain in the ass.

JCF Member

May 22, 2016, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Vsync is disabled in windoed mode making the game lool unsmooth.
I'm guessing thats a windows 8+ issue, because it works smoothly for me. I'm vista loser race.

Unless you're saying you prefer maximised windowed mode *hurls* over regular windowed mode, in which case - was never supported by vsync.

But I recall Slaz had some program that allowed better support for old games? I forgot what it was called and I don't remember its exact purpose.

JCF Member

May 22, 2016, 01:31 PM
Yeah, its fine upto Windows 7 (Win 7> 10) but now that MS is forcing us to use Win 10 by making new games exclusive to win 10 .. sucks.

Anyway, does anyone of you people from plus team figured how this problem is triggered? This little problen just shows how JJ2 is loosing compatibility and who knows what will happen in future. Lets hope it will remain playable in future.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

May 22, 2016, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBrute View Post
Hello, any news related to the XP bug?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
No remaining ideas for what's causing it.
Violet, I used Windows XP Mode to run some of the DLLs you've uploaded to the repository, and here's what I've discovered:
  • The DLLs from pull 629 (jjbehaviorinterface) and 617 (birds) both work (they're from Mar 27; both are 2.63 MB).
  • The DLL from pull 634 (delegates r2309) doesn't work (it's from Apr 7; 3.62 MB).

I'm assuming the issue is related to compiling the DLL with VS2015, but installing the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 doesn't appear to help. Maybe a component wasn't compiled to support Windows XP. I may try looking into this again later if I get a chance.

Getting Windows 7 Professional just for Windows XP Mode may have been useful after all. Maybe.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 23, 2016, 08:35 PM
That's basically where we're at, yes. Something went wrong in the transition from 2012 to 2015, and the natural assumption is that one of the components is compiled wrong but I haven't been able to find the right setting on the right component.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 1, 2016, 08:42 PM
Yet another possible-XP build, though my hopes for this particular attempt are not high.

If this doesn't work, could people experiencing the problem say whether they're running SP2, SP3, or what?

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Jun 2, 2016, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Yet another possible-XP build, though my hopes for this particular attempt are not high.

If this doesn't work, could people experiencing the problem say whether they're running SP2, SP3, or what?
It does not work.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (virtual machine)
Service Pack 3

JCF Member

szmol96 is doing well so far

Jun 9, 2016, 12:11 PM
Doesn't work on Windows XP Professional SP2 either.

JCF Member

3D3 is doing well so far

Jun 13, 2016, 07:10 AM
Crash with save game

I created a save game in the pre-JJ2+ version and now it crashes the game when I try to open it with JJ2+ activated.

You can download the save game from here: https://mega.nz/#!nwsGnADZ!9zQPD-9Bt...mimLO7BEtXo9cw

Old Jun 13, 2016, 08:28 AM
Treylina
This message has been deleted by Treylina. Reason: nvm

JCF Member

Jun 13, 2016, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D3 View Post
I created a save game in the pre-JJ2+ version and now it crashes the game when I try to open it with JJ2+ activated.

You can download the save game from here: https://mega.nz/#!nwsGnADZ!9zQPD-9Bt...mimLO7BEtXo9cw

I opened it in vanilla (means a game without mods) 1.23, and it still crashed.

3D3

JCF Member

3D3 is doing well so far

Jun 13, 2016, 10:06 AM
Quote:
I opened it in vanilla (means a game without mods) 1.23, and it still crashed.
Hmm, thanks for investigating it. Then I must have muddled it somehow. Anyway, it's a good game enough to start again .

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 13, 2016, 10:30 AM
Is that just castle1n.j2l that you saved in? That's an odd level to get crashes in.

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jul 1, 2016, 10:11 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread to put it, but here's a thing I encountered:

After Urban Brawl, the game switched to the hiscore list. I thought that it would just continue on into Knight Cap, or has it always been this way? I vaguely remember that it would just continue and you'd have all your points, powerups etc from The Secret Files in the original run.

JCF Member

Jul 1, 2016, 01:29 PM
http://www.wsgf.org/dr/jazz-jackrabbit-2/en

We need to extend horizontal resolution limit to 2132 pixels. Multi monitor rock. And 1120x480 for ultra wide monitor.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 1, 2016, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgia View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to put it, but here's a thing I encountered:

After Urban Brawl, the game switched to the hiscore list. I thought that it would just continue on into Knight Cap, or has it always been this way? I vaguely remember that it would just continue and you'd have all your points, powerups etc from The Secret Files in the original run.
The best way to do that would probably to just change the next level setting of Urban Brawl.

SAMI: Stop asking, please. This has been exhaustively addressed already and resolutions larger than 800x600 will not be supported for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Stijn; Jul 1, 2016 at 03:38 PM.

JCF Member

Jul 2, 2016, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
The best way to do that would probably to just change the next level setting of Urban Brawl.

SAMI: Stop asking, please. This has been exhaustively addressed already and resolutions larger than 800x600 will not be supported for the foreseeable future.
Okay I understand. Is there atleast a way for manually overriding the resolution by hex editing the exe myself?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 2, 2016, 05:48 AM
No, adding more resolutions is far less trivial than simply adding a few numbers to a list.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 3, 2016, 01:45 AM
BlurredD did some research and found a remarkably obscure option that we think was the last step on the way to restoring XP support. Once again try this out and hopefully the server list can stop being so fractured now.

JCF Member

rezsicc is doing well so far

Jul 4, 2016, 02:18 AM
Hello Guys,

I am in trouble and I need your help!
I installed jj2 on Windows 98 SE to my old PC. I succesfully patched to 1.23 but when I applied the jj2+ patch nothing has changed. When I click to JJ2+.exe it shows the version 1.23.

I copied it to the pendrive and I ran the same app on windows 7 and it works. ver. 2016-04-20...

The question is: Doesn't work JJ2+ on Windows 9x? Is it unsupported operation system?

I am waiting for your response!

Thanks is advance!

Best Wishes,
Tibor from Hungary

Last edited by rezsicc; Jul 4, 2016 at 02:38 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 4, 2016, 02:35 AM
I would be very surprised if JJ2+ did work in 98. As you may have seen, we've been having trouble the last couple months trying to get it to run even in Windows XP, which is rather more recent (although equally unsupported by microsoft) than 98. You can try the alternate plus.dll that I linked to in the post above yours and see if that makes a difference, but making something that can run on Windows 98 has not been a priority in a long time, if it ever was to begin with.

JCF Member

rezsicc is doing well so far

Jul 4, 2016, 04:20 PM
Quote:
I would be very surprised if JJ2+ did work in 98. As you may have seen, we've been having trouble the last couple months trying to get it to run even in Windows XP, which is rather more recent (although equally unsupported by microsoft) than 98. You can try the alternate plus.dll that I linked to in the post above yours and see if that makes a difference, but making something that can run on Windows 98 has not been a priority in a long time, if it ever was to begin with.
Unfortunately it didn't work with windows 98 but it works under XP. The plus.dll file has been changed.

JCF Member

Jul 5, 2016, 05:53 AM
I can confirm this, it really works on XP. Thank you very much for your hard work on finding the solution.

JCF Member

Ja22 is doing well so far

Jul 5, 2016, 06:25 AM
Hello,

I have a strange problem with JJ2, but I am not sure if it is related to JJ2+. I downloaded JJ2 from jazzjackrabbit.net, and I only installed TSF, JCS for 1.23 and TSF and all the episodes that are offered by this installer.

I also installed the newest JJ2+, I am sure there's no problem with its installation, becuase I have done it a few times before, and I also have 5.2 working. The only problem is, there's no music in the game intro and in the menu. It's also strange because all the levels have music, and the game works perfectly.

If you may ask, I am not running the game from Jazz2tsf-avalon, although I don't know what is this avalon-thing, if someone could explain it, I'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jul 5, 2016, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by szmol96 View Post
I can confirm this, it really works on XP. Thank you very much for your hard work on finding the solution.
YeY! This means I can see the JJ2+ updates when my laptop gets fixed!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 5, 2016, 09:38 AM
That's so good to hear! Now that that's taken care of, 5.3 should be along pretty soon to clean up any residual issues from 5.2, and after that... who knows?

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 7, 2016, 01:03 PM
I remember (vaguely) that some versions among the Blur-line of Plus did work on Windows 98. Some later versions could also work if you install the unofficial service pack for 98SE. That said, you should just use XP on older systems that can't handle Vista and up.

If you want to experiment with Plus on 98 though, try older versions from old to new and see what works!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 8, 2016, 09:27 AM
I've just updated http://www.jazz2online.com/jj2plus/plus-2016-04-20.zip and its alias http://www.jazz2online.com/jj2plus/plus.zip to use the XP dll. Could some kind soul double-check that I got that right? If so I can finally feel comfortable putting 5.2 on ModDB.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2016, 05:27 AM
Quote:
I've just updated http://www.jazz2online.com/jj2plus/plus-2016-04-20.zip and its alias http://www.jazz2online.com/jj2plus/plus.zip to use the XP dll. Could some kind soul double-check that I got that right? If so I can finally feel comfortable putting 5.2 on ModDB.
I've checked them. Both good to go.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jul 9, 2016, 10:55 AM
We have finished work on a new version.

Download it here.

See the readme and AngelScript readme for changes.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 9, 2016, 11:04 AM
Bumping so this is displayed on the frontpage instead of a discussion about underwater levels

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2016, 12:36 PM
Though does this new version work with Windows XP? ;p

Administrator

Jul 9, 2016, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
Didn't you reply to a post confirming that it does, in fact, work with Windows XP like a day ago?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 9, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Didn't you reply to a post confirming that it does, in fact, work with Windows XP like a day ago?
That was a different build compiled by a different person in a different version of Visual Studio using different versions of libraries.

That said, I'm pretty sure this works in XP if only because we'd probably have heard about it by now if not.

JCF Member

Jul 10, 2016, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
It DOES.

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jul 13, 2016, 03:59 AM
So, Lori now makes a sound when she buttstomps. It's really cute, and it makes me wonder about the following thing: wasn't Lori originally supposed to have lines in her idle situation, like "hello, is this thing on?" etc? Also, a hurt-sound of her goes "ouch, don't touch me there!" Now that the 'new' buttstomp sound has been implemented, is it also possible to put those other missing sounds/lines in as well?

JCF Member

Jul 13, 2016, 04:13 AM
Quote:
So, Lori now makes a sound when she buttstomps. It's really cute, and it makes me wonder about the following thing: wasn't Lori originally supposed to have lines in her idle situation, like "hello, is this thing on?" etc? Also, a hurt-sound of her goes "ouch, don't touch me there!" Now that the 'new' buttstomp sound has been implemented, is it also possible to put those other missing sounds/lines in as well?
I''m sure it's possible, if we know with what action should each sound go, though. Maybe some of those lines are intro lines, if there was supposed to be a diffirent intro for TSF.
"Ouch, don't touch me there!", teehehehehee...

JCF Member

Jul 13, 2016, 06:51 AM
I noticed some minor bugs.

1. When someone stands on you, the wrong animation plays.
2. The companion bird gets halfway into the tile it's standing on when idling.

JCF Member

Jul 13, 2016, 10:41 AM
Quote:
I would think the touch one was removed for deliberate reasons.

The other voice clips were for the TSF intro that never happened. You'll hear some used in my Lori platform test though..if that ever gets finished.