Inferno 0 0%
Damn 1 8.33%
from other versions 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2016, 12:39 PM
Best tileset in JJ2?

What tileset from the original levels is the best in your opinion? Since there are always 2 or 3 tilesets of the same one (labrat1, labrat1n, labrat3) that are diffirent only by color or some small details (e.g. one version has trigger blocks, the other doesn't) I counted all versions of a tileset into 1 set.

I guess I can choose too ;p

Also please write what tileset from other version.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jul 10, 2016, 06:07 AM
Hard to pick just one...

Inferno is the most artistically impressive. For a cartoony platformer, it's a rather convincing depiction of hell. The flesh-trees really freaked me out when I was a kid.

Castle is probably the best balance between easy-to-use and good-looking. In terms of giving a newbie something to work with in JCS, it gives you the easiest means to produce something that looks cool.

Holiday Hare is the most versatile one. You've got outdoors, indoors, houses, and a pretty good set of tiles (for one drawn by Stadler) to connect them all together in meaningful ways. There's pretty much all kinds of destructible blocks, vines, poles, a stump for a shootable pole, pinball events look okay.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jul 12, 2016, 05:30 AM
Diamondus by a longshot.

It is the most overused jj2 tileset for a reason. It is also a big plus that diamondus had a lot of great custom remakes.

Diamondus looks great, has decent versatility and tile connectivity, has special scenery for foreground and background, has cave tiles for sprite layer background, works well with many JJ2 events (diamondus pole; moving rock; grass platform; water; poles; destruct scenery; triggers; etc), has great mask variation (trees) for gameplay potentional, has tile variation (blocks, gems, plants, signs) and is easy to use.

With it's 2-dimensional depth, landscape, trees and cave tiles; it doesn't need any floating area's and can stick to a 2D view that looks logical with gravity and physics.

Tube-electric is a runner up because it is the best versatile set in JJ2 with the best tile connectivity options, because it technically has 3 themes in one set (red bricks, yellow bricks and purple 'wiring') that all blend with each other really well. It also gives a lot of mask options. (thin platforms, slight slopes). On top of that a lot of special events like sucker tubes. It is probably the most complete set of jj2. The only thing it lacks is foreground tiles and layer 8 background. A big drawback is that I don't think any of the tiles can artistically compare to the detail of the diamondus set (especially grass).

Castle is probably the easiest set to use, but has bad versatility. It has less to offer for the sprite layer. It can be imagined as diamondus without tree scenery. It only has Knights, chains and curtains as special scenery. The masking options are also limited. Castle tiles look a lot more generic when pasted together.. It also has no layer 8 background. Most castle levels tend to get very quirky and narrow, due to the set.

Colonius looks really strong and has probably the best mask-variations for gameplay. It has two themes: one being narrow underground gameplay and a second theme for open areas in the city. Buildings, rooftops, windows, buttstomp holes give new dimensions to gameplay.

The downside is that colonius has very poor tile connectivity. The underground and city tiles are impossible to combine together. The versatile parts take up a lot of space in general and give little freedom (rooftops, sewer background). Colonius also really lacks background options.

The worst sets are probably Jungle, Beach, Psych, Inferno and Damn. Eventhough they all look decent, they all suffer from being incomplete sets where it lacks any form of background tiles for the sprite layer and variation.

All other sets are somewhere inbetween.