Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

JJ2 for Facebook

Jett

JCF Member

Jett is doing well so far

Feb 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
Lightbulb JJ2 for Facebook

Just a thought: what if JJ2 were ported to Facebook? I am RIGHT NOW playing Ultimate Sonic for Facebook.

JCF Member

burnout92 is doing well so far

Feb 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
It's a good idea. But it's really hard to port to Facebook. I think.

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Feb 12, 2013, 03:27 PM
What would be the point?
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Feb 13, 2013, 06:33 AM
1. Online playing.
2. Advertising J2O and JJ.net.
3. Making some money?

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Feb 13, 2013, 08:49 AM
Well, to port JJ2 to Facebook, you'd need to port it to HTML5 or Java(Yes, you could port it to Flash, but Flash is slow and is probably going to become obsolite because of HTML5), and that would be quite a tough job.
Besides, first we'd need either the JJ2 Sourcecode, or the Plus Developers to reveal some of their secrets to someone willing to port JJ2 to HTML5/Java, and even if the latter happened, the afformentioned person would probably have to do a fair amount of guesswork to get the game to work completely.

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
From my perspective, the point would be opening the game for a wider audience and improving quality of Internet connection, or in other words reducing lag. Of course due to the nature of Facebook, an upload like this would probably be halted for copyright reasons.

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
I think the JJ2 Facebook port to Flash it could be better graphics and gameplay than Java or HTML5. At least is my perspective.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:23 AM
Anubis
This message has been deleted by Anubis.

JCF Member

Feb 15, 2013, 03:09 AM
The FB games always have bugs and lags. I should give a try the JJ2 game for Facebook.

JCF Member

Feb 15, 2013, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout92 View Post
I think the JJ2 Facebook port to Flash it could be better graphics and gameplay than Java or HTML5. At least is my perspective.
How good the graphics are in Java/HTML5 depends on the artist. If they don't look as good as the graphics in a Flash game, that's because the artist for said Flash game is probably much better than the one for the Java/HTML5 game.
Besides, Flash uses a massive amount of RAM, and runs quite slowly.
Anyway, one thing that could be done is to have the Shareware version of Jazz 1 running through the in-browser version of DOSBox(As seen on RGB Classic Games).

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 15, 2013, 04:56 AM
hey guys http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/WebJJ2/

JCF Member

Feb 15, 2013, 02:20 PM
But if i will run 4 GB RAM the Flash version of JJ2 no problem with Frame Rate. I think. Or Unity port of JJ2? What do you think?

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Feb 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
Android application would be great. Not sure if there are android programmers here.

JCF Member

Feb 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
Burnout92, have you ever played The Binding of Isaac? That game was made in Flash. If you have played it, you'll know that there is a lot of lag at some points in the game(Even on a really beefy(Or should I say Horsey) PC with around 4GB of RAM, and it even lags on my friend's PC, which has a 4GHz, quad-core CPU), and that lag is caused by Flash. Flash is slow. Feel free to disagree with me, and please do correct me if I am wrong(If this makes me seem aggressive, I apologise and would like to make it clear that I am just trying to point out that maybe HTML5 or Java would be best for this kind of thing).

And about WebJJ2, is that still being worked on?

JCF Member

Feb 16, 2013, 06:43 PM
Tetris itself is a game which for example, I once played as a downloadable application called TetriNET, but I think on Facebook it gained practicality for server and maintenance purposes, and really developed the online Tetris scene from being decentralized and obscure, to having a reliable form of creating multiplayer games. JJ2 is about as popular as TetriNET 2 used to be, so what I mean is that moving to Facebook could expand the game's popularity. Naturally, every game is different, especially in terms of bugs and lags.

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Feb 17, 2013, 02:32 AM
Awesome, Stijn! I have never seen that before. I had to take a moment to take it in. I was surprised to see it responding to key strokes (and with basic platformer physics in place).

On the subject of creating a Jazz port, I think a better option would be to create a rehash using fan made characters and storylines. something like Freedom Planet (They have a pretty good project going. It has a strong sonic flavor but is different enough to feel like its own game) http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

A fan project won't bring Jazz into the limelight, but it also won't get shut down by Epic. Not sure if they care about fan games, but from one of Cliff Bleszinsky's tweets, I'm under the impression that Epic employees are obligated to report copyright violations if they find them. Granted, that situation involved someone using the Gears logo for their small business.

Not like this topic isn't as old as dirt though

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2013, 04:15 AM
Hey Robo4900! It doesn't aggressive for me. I'm understand that Flash thing. But i played the Plasma Burst 2 (not FB game, but Flash) on dual-core (2,7 Ghz) with 2 GB RAM and my average FPS is 20-25 sometimes drop down to 10-12 FPS. I'm suggest the Java because not laggy and slow.

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 17, 2013, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
And about WebJJ2, is that still being worked on?
Nope, I haven't done much more of it. I managed to make an improved level viewer (with parallax scrolling) in HTML5, but no player+physics. I don't know why but it's broken at the moment: http://djazz.mine.nu/apps/WebJJ2/
See my signature for the development progress xD

Thanks for posting stijn
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 17, 2013, 04:44 AM
It's probably nothing, but, in the newer version, you do use Zlib functions without ever including a Zlib javascript library...

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 17, 2013, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
It's probably nothing, but, in the newer version, you do use Zlib functions without ever including a Zlib javascript library...
Yeah, and the "BlobBuilder" is deprecated. It's all fixed now :P
http://djazz.mine.nu/apps/WebJJ2/

The old version is more feature-rich, but it's slow because it relies on serverside image generation and stuff (reading tileset, level... on the server)
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/WebJJ2/
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Feb 17, 2013, 06:51 AM
Jazz on Facebook ... Keep on dreaming, we are lucky enough if it appears on a random graffiti in an alley of the smallest of the cities in the Netherlands before being overwritten into a gay-favorable message before anyone even sees the Jazz graffiti.

With all respect for everyone in this community and outside it, that is. I respect you all, and wouldn't ever want to offend anyone.

I love you all.
Jett

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2013, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Jazz on Facebook ... Keep on dreaming, we are lucky enough if it appears on a random graffiti in an alley of the smallest of the cities in the Netherlands before being overwritten into a gay-favorable message before anyone even sees the Jazz graffiti.

With all respect for everyone in this community and outside it, that is. I respect you all, and wouldn't ever want to offend anyone.

I love you all.
Gus, this is a thread with the explicit purpose of imagining JJ2 being ported to Facebook.

I personally believe that it is impossible to politicize Jazz Jackrabbit, an arcade game, in the way you less-than-subliminally suggested.