Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

The Router Tutorial

Spaz Boy

JCF Member

Spaz Boy is doing well so far

Feb 9, 2002, 07:48 PM
The Router Tutorial

There's one thing that bugs all of us Cable/DSL networked people...the router...it's an evil thing.

So, I'm going to make a router tutorial. Basically, its going to explain what the router is, talk about it (maybe even give instructions on setting it up!), and probably most importantly, it will tell and show you how to free ports for doing various things. I'll probably make up a list of commonly used ports, and explain things of the like.

I'm wondering if I should possibly "interview" people and get information from them. (Such as Link, Monolith, and iCeD, and cheeze)

It will be accessed via http://spazboy.idlegames.com/router/ for the web version. When it is all nice and finished, I'll make a downloadable version.

If anyone would like to help or contribute anything, feel free to contact me in any way.

Also, if you want any "requests" to be made, feel free.

You will be mentioned in a section in a 1 pt font hidden wrapped around a picture. ;-P

I hate homework. I've had a lot lately, plus a whole bunch of tests, so I haven't gotten much done. And none of it is on the web. Why? Because I hate IIS. It's the most evil thing since XP. But it isn't enough to compare with XP. But it is still evil. And I hate it.

IIS (Internet Information Services) has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. It has FrontPage extensions installed (I was gonna use FP for a school webpage...quick and easy), yet to have them work properly, you have to publish it to the internet...and IIS won't let you do a log in thing, it just makes you put stuff in a dir. If anyone knows how to fix it, because I've tried everything I know, PLEASE contact me.

Later

~SB

AIM: a shadowy guy
MSN: spazboycc@msn.com
EMAIL: spazboycc@msn.com
IRC: Go to #jj2 or use DCC my nick is spazboy...and I'm logged onto irc.quakenet.org
(Backup nick spaz_boy...check #jj2, cuz I might be on a crazy spree and have a weird name.)

" don't question something made in Japan.. Cuz that will just lead to more questions.. just understand that it's a bag of hell and move on" -VeggieMan[GpW]

LONG LIVE TEH SNUFUSS!

The AntiMcDonalds forums have turned into the JCF. Now includes the "spontaneous corrupt" feature.

(That was a fanchy smanchy way of saying that the forums are broked. AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT TOO.)

Last edited by Spaz Boy; Feb 13, 2002 at 06:37 PM.
JanusJackrabbit

JCF Member

JanusJackrabbit has disabled reputation

Feb 9, 2002, 09:34 PM
Make sure that you have all the different kinds of routers.
Cheeze

JCF Member

Cheeze has disabled reputation

Feb 10, 2002, 10:31 AM
Including software ones.

-cheeze

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2002, 04:45 PM
Yay!

Interview me!
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Feb 11, 2002, 04:51 PM
I figured it out without any help. Interveiw me.

JCF Member

Spaz Boy is doing well so far

Feb 13, 2002, 06:32 PM
A software router!?

And what was I thinking not mentioning Cheeze...maybe I'll make him write it. ;-P

But how the heck can you have a software router...well, at least one that works. I tried about *every* software networking product I could find before I told my dad to go buy a $300 router. (well, close to it.) Nothing ever worked, no matter what setup I tried. Maybe it's just SWBell...

And is it true that @Home cable just *stopped*? My friend said it did, and is changing to DSL...they're making ATT pay for all the change charges (modem, activation, etc.) ;-P

And never ask SWBell for tech support. Last time when we finally went that low...the guy came out and played games on my computer. :-P EVIL!

Cheeze, what's your ICQ number...or other messaging thingy?

" don't question something made in Japan.. Cuz that will just lead to more questions.. just understand that it's a bag of hell and move on" -VeggieMan[GpW]

LONG LIVE TEH SNUFUSS!

The AntiMcDonalds forums have turned into the JCF. Now includes the "spontaneous corrupt" feature.

(That was a fanchy smanchy way of saying that the forums are broked. AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT TOO.)