Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Battle Contest Results

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

May 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
Battle Contest Results

Here are the results for the battle contest!!!!!1
Me and FireSworD (more judges were planned, but I didn't get a chance to contact the people I wanted) hosted a private server playing through all levels, making comments and deciding the best entries. We've had some great entries, but of course, we can only have winner. (And two runners up :P)
And the winners are...

1. Foreign Country: Past of Leveldesign

This is just about the exact thing I was looking for, fast paced, serveral routes, and quite strategical. One of the special things here is that soil tiles are un-masked, so it will allow for a lot more open space, and the layout is cleverly made so that you can sometimes see oppenents on a different route, which can utilise the tactic of prediction. This level would work in a large public server just as well as in the heat of competive play. Combined with the enjoyable Rayman atmosphere, this (as quoted by FireSworD's review) becomes an instant classic.

2. The Warden Woods: Cooba

In my opinion, this Cooba's best battle level so far. The layout is well structured, the gameplay is fast, supported by the large number of carrots, and there are some nice tactical areas too, particually in the area in the bottom right, where it is extremly easy to get amushed, and fall in the pit. There are a few original things too, such as the Vine springs and the EC, which gives this level the feeling of being deep inside the heart of a huge forest, at night. While this is a great level, one minor down-side is that it feels slightly generic.

3. Sandstone Ruins: Quickz

There has been a huge improvment over the past levels by Quickz. One of the main things I like here is that this layout feels like large structure with a network of tunnels, instead of just platforms floating in the sky. There is a large open area in the level; a good place for brawl without causing too much chaos. All the powerups/ammo/carrots are placed exactly where they would be useful. There are other interesting things like the climbable walls, and a good atmosphere. This level will probably get a lot of attention in the future.

The prizes will be confimed later.
Here are some comments on the other levels:

Dark Match: Birdie

This level uses an interesting concept by the use of coin warps, as "barriers" if you have 2 or more coins, to stop you moving to a certain part of a level. At the top there is a warp to remove your coins, as here they are a bad thing. While this concept may be very original, and makes this quite tactical, this is just a little too slow paced for my tastes.

Heated Pipelines: DarkSonic

While the layout here is very standard, maybe un-original even, the EC and placement is good, and is the only entry for this contest that uses food. This would have been ranked higher if it was more original. Nice music choice, btw.

Daring Rebels: Hitch

This level is rather dark and has chaotic EC, but it has a rather scary atmosphere. The layout and flow is fairly good, but in some areas it feels a little claustrophobic. I don't really like the coin system, either. Stil, this is Hitch's best battle level yet.

Temple of Karnak: White Rabbit

This level flows more like SP level, rather than a normal multiplayer level, which unfortunately doesn't really work out at all. It is quite biased to Spaz in some parts, and there are some dead-ends, some are pointless.

The Disco Yeah!: Sacrush

The gameplay here is really chaotic.....so is the EC, which is as irritating as HECK with those flashing lights. Sorry Sac, I don't like this level much.

Eternal Agony: FQuist

Umm.... well, this has a pretty werid layout, it is just one massive platform taking up about 90% of the level. Also, there's a 40 second shield. Don't know much to say about this one.

Thanks to all the people who entered! I think the battle server should be updated now, and some of these new levels would be nice for it. Also, I will give full reviews to all the entries later.

Please ask any questions you have in this thread.

~ PurpleJazz

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

May 20, 2007, 12:48 AM
Nice results! And I can understand if you hate my level, I hate it too.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

May 20, 2007, 02:02 AM
Congratulations to the three winners.

I'd like to point out that all dead ends in my level have a power-up, carrot, or warp, and that I can't find any 'pointless' ones. If you mean pos around 48, 80, which indeed looks like a big dead end, then you should've checked more carefully because there's a passage behind the wall, just up the slope.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 20, 2007, 05:26 AM
So what's the 'mystery prize' you mentioned in the other thread?
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

May 21, 2007, 09:04 AM
too bad I forgot that the levels must be in 1.23 ...
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially

Tags
contest