Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Alternate history: what if jazz 3 was never cancelled? (incomplete!))

JCF Member

Logface202 is doing well so far

Dec 30, 2016, 12:29 PM
Alternate history: what if jazz 3 was never cancelled? (incomplete!))

this is a documentation of what would happen if jazz jackrabbit 3 was cancelled

based on information from:
https://www.jazz2online.com/j3f/
https://www.jazz2online.com/wiki/Jazz_Jackrabbit_3
and a lot of guesswork

I will be writing this at the rate of one year per chapter, starting from 1999.

inspiration for this format from: dadoctorwhofan's "what if doctor who wasn't axed in 1989" youtube series.

chapter 1

after jazz 3 was declined by gathering of developers, epic continued the search for a publisher they looked at some of the big name ones and eventually made a deal with activision.
the game would start like so: once you started the game you would be in a non-intractable jazz2 like environment, in carrotus castle, suddenly devan teleports into the room through a portal, taking jazz's children with a gravity gun like device, the game switches to a cartoon cutscene, jazz jumps through the portal just before it closes, jazz is shown tumbleing through a swirling vortex, morphing from a cartoon hand drawn style to pre rendered 3D.
the game would then start as we see in the betas.

after playing through the game as we see in the public demo, you must return to the rocket launch pad and fly to other planets to play the rest of the game, this would use a smb3 like map to move from planet to planet. planets would include: diamondus, tubelectric, medivo, labrat, bloxonius, lenti, some new ones, etc.

the ps2 version would have splitscreen multiplayer, with up to 4 players, there would be no online multiplayer, on pc however, there would be online multiplayer, a level editor, and no splitscreen.

playable characters were jazz spaz and lori, custom characters would be given more customiseability then ever before, they could be given individual clothing fur styles colors, with no more simple re-colorings of the base characters. razz would also be in the game teaching you about how the game works, you would first meet him in the tutorial cave, with an icon of his face appearing on help text, there would be different icons on the textboxes based on who is talking.
it would look a bit like this:

a grappling hook mechanic would also be added.

the game was a large success, getting ratings of 4 to 4.5 out of 5, as there were some complaints about the complexity of the level editor, and various multiplayer bugs, along with battle being the only multiplayer mode, treasure hunt and CTF would soon be added by official patch however.
jazz 3 city would have been started near the end of the year.

Last edited by Logface202; Jan 14, 2017 at 09:31 AM.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jan 1, 2017, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
Thank you for reminding me this exists.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2017, 09:30 AM
Activision actually made plenty of fun 3D games. I liek this :>

Oh and add this to the story: DanZeal would copy-paste the UT map Facing words to JJ3 and it would be in the JJ3 CTF mappool yay

Though I wouldn't like Razz to be a playable character. He should be Jazz's instructions/tutorial guy. You know, 'use the jump button to jump, tap it again while in the air to do a double jump' that kind of stuff. Since he's an engineer Jazz would meet him at the very start of your version of the game (Rocket pad) and explain how to drive it and handle the map you mentioned.

Last edited by Jelly Jam; Jan 7, 2017 at 09:44 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 14, 2017, 09:14 AM
I like the idea of razz being the tutor, I think I'll change it to that.

As for what you said about the ctf map, I don't completely understand you, but I think you mean someone ported an unreal/unreal tournament map to jj3?

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 15, 2017, 08:26 AM
That was a joke. DanZeal is a player that made a JJ2 CTF map inspired from the UT map facing worlds.

Also I like your idea in that picture.

Oh and unrelated, but, does anyone actually know the storyline of JJ3? What was supposed to happen after Jazz beat that flaming lizard, and who the heck is Cosmo?

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2017, 09:43 AM
remember hearing that name somewhere, in somthing that has to do with jj3, but all that it really brings to mind is sonic X season 3 :P
perhaps it's one of jazz's children?

JCF Member

Leo(T.C.K.) has disabled reputation

Sep 1, 2018, 12:02 AM
Cosmo?
http://legacy.3drealms.com/cosmo
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Dec 30, 2018, 09:31 AM
If Jazz Jackrabbit 3 could be finished in late 90's probably we would see this game available on gog.com so in that case we'll be able to purchase and play it.
nimmoisa000

JCF Member

nimmoisa000 has disabled reputation

Oct 27, 2019, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
Activision actually made plenty of fun 3D games. I liek this :>

Oh and add this to the story: DanZeal would copy-paste the UT map Facing words to JJ3 and it would be in the JJ3 CTF mappool yay

Though I wouldn't like Razz to be a playable character. He should be Jazz's instructions/tutorial guy. You know, 'use the jump button to jump, tap it again while in the air to do a double jump' that kind of stuff. Since he's an engineer Jazz would meet him at the very start of your version of the game (Rocket pad) and explain how to drive it and handle the map you mentioned.
How about a compromise, make Razz a playable character in multiplayer only.
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Oct 28, 2019, 09:22 AM
Then chairman and founder CEO of Epic Games wouldn't care talking about indie games like Fortnite Battle Royale(still updating this game instead of Unreal Tournament 4),Untitled Goose Game(casual gaming stuff),CGI unreal engine 4 technological improvements(for Hollywood film industry in USA-only popular movies and only popular video games for high demographic)and he wouldn't dare to block me on his twitter account(I guess he's doing whatever he wants). It seems probably he doesn't care about abandonware/freeware pc games like Jazz Jackrabbit he probably never will. He's just a 48 years old guy who is just listening to people like "reboots/remakes of video games and movies are so unoriginal and let's do something fresh and original" kind of thing. Nintendo/HAL Labolatory,Sega/Sonic Team,Id Software/Bethesda,Epic Games/Tencent are living in separate realms.

Last edited by luke11685; Oct 28, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
nimmoisa000

JCF Member

nimmoisa000 has disabled reputation

Aug 20, 2020, 02:53 AM
If only in the late 90's Jazz Jackrabbit 3 would be finished then Epic Games wouldn't focus only on Fortnite Gears of War, Bulletstorm however would be left relatively intact.