Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

PlusOJ.j2as

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 6, 2015, 10:26 PM
PlusOJ.j2as

So you've downloaded JJ2+ version 5.0 and looked through the example levels and stuff. And it's awesome, but you find yourself thinking wait a minute, I don't see anything at all in here that's a JJ1 emulation mode, so what about these screenshots?!?

Well that's because plusOJ is actually just its own scripted level. Not even that big, actually! About 80 kb... there are bigger ones out there. You can download it here. It's not finished (this sort of thing never is), and it does some things better than OpenJazz and others worse. For example, it doesn't understand destructible tiles yet, which are kind of important, nor launchers, nor end of level signposts (You'll have to type JJLAMER a lot, since most of the JJ2 cheat codes have been replaced with JJ1 ones), nor enemy bullet-firing animations, nor explosions very well, etc. For such reasons, and so that y'all can contribute if you like, I'm posting it in here instead of the downloads section.

Enjoy your entirely-written-in-AngelScript JJ1 experience! Almost everything you'll see but the episode names is extracted straight from the original JJ1 files... level designs, palettes, sprites, and so on. Probably about half the script is spent just reading and interpreting all the different JJ1 file types involved.

(If it's running really slowly, try enabling Low Detail, which will turn off all the palette cycling effects like waterfalls and arrows.)

To install, copy both plusOJ.j2l and plusOJ.j2as into your JJ2+ folder. Then open plus.ini and look for the "AdditionalFileFolders" line in the [General] folder, or if there isn't one, add it. It's a comma-separated list of file folders, so include the path to your JJ1 installation, e.g.
Code:
AdditionalFileFolders="C:\Games\Jazz2TSFPlus, C:\Games\Jazz2TSFPlus\Cache, C:\Games\DOS\Jazz1"
(If you've got more than one JJ1 installation, pick one.) This will allow JJ2+, and plusOJ in particular, to open files in that folder. Then just run plusOJ.j2l from the HCL list or the command line, either in SP or in two-player Cooperative.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Apr 6, 2015, 10:29 PM
Very nice!
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to JJ2+! I love you, guys!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

Last edited by Primpy; May 4, 2016 at 10:17 AM.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Apr 7, 2015, 09:13 AM
I need help with installing it! "so include the path to your JJ1 installation" umm... folder? The exe? The Setup.exe?

JCF Member

AvalancheMaster is doing well so far

Apr 7, 2015, 10:49 AM
The folder.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 7, 2015, 12:03 PM
PS. Don't do this with SWAG yet

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Apr 7, 2015, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
I need help with installing it! "so include the path to your JJ1 installation" umm... folder? The exe? The Setup.exe?
The folder, just the folder.
Why would you need a path to the setup?

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
GNUusiastic

JCF Member

GNUusiastic is doing well so far

May 3, 2015, 12:04 PM
JJ1 played from JJ2+? I'm droolin'! Especially that you can have more ammo than 99 (like in JJ2)

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

May 4, 2015, 12:51 PM
I'd love to see JJ1 retold into JJ2. As in this episode ... hold on a sec ... it should be ... hmm ...

Strange. I'd swear there was a Turtle Terror clone with JJ2 tilesets in lieu of JJ1 ones. But I can't find it at the moment ...

Well, you get it. All JJ1 levels with JJ2 tilesets. The only problem is: There are no decent remakes of tilesets for episodes from Ballistic Bunny to Wild Wabbit. Well, there is that Technoir remake by NOKA, but it isn't really in the style of Nick's Turtle Terror / Flashback ones. And there are my old remakes of the Outta Dis World tilesets, but they're just plain gross.

As for the OJ level, at the moment the springs aren't working and I'm stuck in Exoticus, which by the way isn't even playing the exoticus music.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

May 4, 2015, 04:35 PM
I know which levels you're talking about, and I think I still have it somewhere.

Also, yeah, PlusOJ is in early stages, but still pretty impressive.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 4, 2015, 05:01 PM
You're thinking of this pack.

The script makes no effort to convert .psm files into music that JJ2 can play. Instead, download the psm-s3m conversions already on J2O--which plusOJ hopes you have--since they use the correct filenames with only the extensions changed.