Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Jazz 2 Resurrection

JCF Member

DeathKiller is doing well so far

Jan 8, 2018, 12:11 AM
I made new gameplay video, because the previous one was very old. - https://youtu.be/l3-wd1vTTPk

Also, the next version will be able to convert levels that use some of MLLE features, for example extra layers, order of layers, multiple tilesets, level palette, snow parameters, darkness color...
Virus666

JCF Member

Virus666 has disabled reputation

Jan 8, 2018, 03:00 AM
Looks great! Will you upload Linux and Android version of the latest version? What's the gamepad support for those OS? Thank you!

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 8, 2018, 05:31 AM
MLLE support would be cool! Is it your goal to eventually support AngelScript as well? Many MLLE-based levels use scripting, so while some of them may work with just basic support many would still be unplayable without further support for JJ2+ features.

JCF Member

Jan 8, 2018, 06:14 AM
Thanks! New version (0.4.9) for all platforms will be released next week, because I have to test it. But version 0.4.8.2 (already released for Windows/Linux) is almost the same but without these MLLE features.
Gamepads are already supported Windows/Linux version. You can adjust controls in Settings menu, but button mapping is not saved on exit. Analog buttons are not supported yet. Gamepad support on Android doesn't work that good.

I know, but AngelScript is not supported in C#. I would have to make some wrapper for AngelScript library, or own AngelScript interpreter/recompiler, or use different solution.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jan 9, 2018, 12:10 PM
A little offtopic, but your video made me smile a bit. Saw HH '17 in your menu! ^_^

ontopicwize, this is so cool! What are your short / long term goals?

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2018, 07:28 AM
My long-term goal is to add all features of JJ2 and JJ2+ (and create good engine for 2D platformers). It's already not that bad as it was.

HH'17 was released short time ago and it demonstrates a lot of JJ2+ features, so I tought it could be nice to have these features too. HH'17 levels look almost the same at first look, but are unplayable because it's heavily scripted. I can make a video of it at the weekend.
Anyway, HH'17 looks very good and I'm going to play it.

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2018, 12:33 PM
New version released (v0.4.9) in first post.
  • Implemented some MLLE features (extra layers, vertically flipped tiles, multiple tilesets, level palette, order of layers, ...)
  • Fixed order of episodes
  • Optimizations (use of dynamic tree for collision checking)
  • Some enemies were adjusted
  • A lot of bugfixes and other changes
  • JJ2 data have to be Imported again, don't use data from previous versions!
sqiksaagodt

JCF Member

sqiksaagodt has disabled reputation

Feb 3, 2018, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I tried downloading the android APK, followed all the steps and all, but can't seem to get it working.

Instead of installing on the sdcard, mine installed here: /data/user/0/Jazz2.Android

I tried dumping the extracted content folder, to that dir but that didn't solve it.. Hope it helps

Kind regards
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2018, 08:18 AM
You should wait for 1.0.0 version of jazz2 resurrection.apk first so in that case you'll be able to bypass github files compilation. Then this android application will start working properly and correctly.

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2018, 08:35 AM
You have to create new "Jazz2.Android" directory on sdcard or internal storage yourself and then copy files into it. The application tries to find it.
If it still doesn't work, take a screenshot or tell me error message, please.

Version number means nothing, binaries posted in the first post works for me and it should work for other people too, if their device meets minimal requirements. If it doesn't work, I will try to fix it.
sqiksaagodt

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2018, 09:07 AM
Hi again,

I tried making a dir on the root of internal and the sdcard, moving the content folder over, but still the same.

The only error i get is when i open the app, it says:
Jazz2 Resurrection keeps stopping

Im using a Galaxy S8
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2018, 11:38 AM
Any plans for offline achievements?

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2018, 12:41 PM
This is strange. Try to download new version from the first post and install new apk file. It should show at least an error message now.

Achievements are not planned for now, but it's not hard to implement them.
sqiksaagodt

JCF Member

Feb 3, 2018, 01:32 PM
Aight, i got this error message:

Could not find file "/storage/emulated/0/Download/Jazz2.Android/Content/.dz"
I found the folder it was talking about, and moved the content to that folder - now when i opened up the app, I get a black screen - there is sounds when i press on the screen at random, but i can't see anything

edit: getting another error now after reinstall:
content diirectory was not found!

Searched mount points:
- /mnt/runtime/default/SDCARD (Removable)
- /storage/emulated/0 (Fixed)

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2018, 01:01 AM
There is a bug with graphics initialization sometimes, you have to kill the app somehow and run it again. Back button is sometimes enough to kill/crash it in this situation.
Also, It could be an issue with shaders, but I checked all shaders with reference compiler and it's OK. Make sure that you copy "Content" directory from Android download to destination directory as final step.

To resolve "Content directory was not found" error - the application searches in these specified mount points. It tries to find "./Android/Data/Jazz2.Android/Content/", "./Jazz2.Android/Content/" or "./Download/Jazz2.Android/Content/" - relative to currently searched mount point, for example "/mnt/runtime/default/SDCARD/Jazz2.Android/Content/"... So ensure that files are there, please.
pantynpc

J2O Member

pantynpc has disabled reputation

Jun 15, 2018, 03:15 PM
Hi guys, love your work DeathKiller but i can't play the game on android .. (Huawei Mate 10 Lite) , i get a black screen and that's it.
https://ibb.co/gHg7vJ
https://ibb.co/hgbJ2y

JCF Member

Mar 10, 2019, 05:22 AM
I didn't write a post about new release very long time. So here it is...

If you want to get notified about new releases, you can join Discord - https://discord.gg/Y7SBvkD. I made a bot that posts notifications there automatically, so I don't have to do it myself.

New version released (v0.5.5) in the first post.
  • Installation on Android is simplified
  • Android: Added welcome screen for incomplete installs
Changes between v0.4.9 and v0.5.5
  • Added fullscreen mode
  • Added in-game settings menu
  • Added better water shader
  • Added some player idle animations
  • Added water splash sound
  • Added menu transition
  • Added adjustable music and SFX volume
  • Optimized memory usage
  • Added copters and flying carrots
  • Added scene transitions
  • Better HUD and touch controls for Android version
  • Many optimizations, faster loading, no lags
  • Enabled ahead-of-time compilation for Android version - better performance and bigger application size
  • A lot of bugfixes and other changes
  • JJ2 data have to be Imported again, don't use data from previous versions!

Last edited by DeathKiller; Oct 19, 2019 at 01:56 PM.

JCF Member

Oct 19, 2019, 01:56 PM
I didn't write a post about new release very long time again. New version was released - v0.6.1. It can be downloaded here - http://deat.tk/jazz2/. There are too many changes (more than 100 changes) between v0.5.5 and v0.6.1, full list is posted here - http://deat.tk/jazz2/release-notes. The last version fixes gamepad support.

Also, I made another gameplay video, but it was made for older version (v0.5.8) - https://youtu.be/M794QHwfMXg.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 27, 2019, 02:57 AM
Impressive!

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2019, 02:21 AM
Thank you

JCF Member

Nov 8, 2019, 02:24 PM
I worked on Multiplayer feature last few days. There are still some glitches, but it's almost playable. It's not released yet, but here is preview - https://youtu.be/tUampdOZRH4

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2019, 01:42 AM
New version was released - v0.6.2. It can be downloaded here - http://deat.tk/jazz2/. List of changes is here - http://deat.tk/jazz2/release-notes.
Playable (but incomplete) multiplayer was added, there are still some bugs, so it's up to you if you want to play it or not. Also, there is a lot of other changes, so I didn't want to block the release because of incomplete multiplayer. Game saves settings to %appdata% by default now, create Jazz2.settings in game directory to enable portable mode to work as before. Reimport is required!

JCF Member

JohnAsen01 has disabled reputation

Apr 26, 2020, 12:58 AM
Hi ! I followed the instructions but failed. Could someone send me the Content folder in a link? Send me the link in a private message.
kubeko8848

JCF Member

kubeko8848 has disabled reputation

Apr 26, 2020, 03:28 PM
Unhappy I cant install it on my phone Xiaiomi Mi A2 lite

So, i have a problem because when i install The gamę i mean (Download android and desktop version) and when i pastę Content folder to jazz2.android IT says i need to run import.exe, but i have The good version🤨 please help me
I cant do anything, i tried anything
Oktan

JCF Member

Oktan has disabled reputation

May 12, 2020, 03:58 AM
Are you planning to implement support for regular USB HID controllers? Only supporting XInput means that you either have to use an Xbox controller, which works atrociously bad for 2D games compared to for example a Super Famicom controller connected through an adapter. Or use some keyboard emulator like Joy2Key, and while this is workable since this is a 2D game without analog controls, is still an unnecessary step and might introduce some input lag.