Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

The Jazz Jackrabbit marathon megathread!

View Poll Results: What JJ2 categories would you like to see run in a marathon?
Spaz 1-4 4 50.00%
Jazz 1-4 6 75.00%
Lori 1-4 4 50.00%
Spaz TSF 1 12.50%
Jazz TSF 1 12.50%
Lori TSF 2 25.00%
Spaz Xmas 1 12.50%
Jazz Xmas 2 25.00%
Lori Xmas 1 12.50%
Spaz Warped 1 12.50%
Jazz Warped 1 12.50%
Lori Warped 1 12.50%
All coins (Spaz only) 2 25.00%
Other (Demo and/or meme categories) 3 37.50%
All Episodes 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 27, 2019, 11:51 AM
The Jazz Jackrabbit marathon megathread!

To not clutter up the news with entries of Jazz getting accepted into marathons, I've made a thread where I will post whenever JJ1/JJ2 gets featured in a marathon. If you spot/are in any, be sure to post here too! To further cut down on clutter, please only note here if they get accepted, not merely just submitted.

I've been submitting to a lot of marathons. But to make it more interesting, I try to submit a selection of categories. What categories are you interested in seeing featured the most?

And yes, some other faces will be running! Keep your eyes peeled..

Q & A

Why don't you ask SimonN to submit JJ1 to marathons?
I'd love to, but the fact he refuses to use Discord makes organizing internet marathons virtually impossible. Many marathons outright require joining their Discord group.

Do I have to catch it live to watch them?
No, but it does add to the experience! They are usually archived and I'll post the recordings once the marathon is over.

What are these weird categories in the poll? 1-4 is the original Campaign right?
You can find them out here. Be sure to click misc! Episodes 1-4 are indeed the original campaign too.

Are you ever submitting to big on-site marathons (GDQ, ESA, etc)?
I'd like to but don't have the money right now. Maybe somewhere in the future.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; May 8, 2020 at 10:37 PM.

JCF Member

Aug 28, 2019, 02:38 PM
To start this off, I'll be running Episodes 1-4 very soon at Speed Stuff 4 Charity 6 at September the 1st. There will be a bidwar during the marathon whether I get to run Jazz or Lori. You can find the schedule localized to your timezone and the channel here. All money raised will go towards The Trevor Project, a charity focused on LGBT suicide prevention and support.

Later on at October the 18th, I will be running Lori episodes 1-4 at Speedrun Ragnarok. There will also be a donation incentive for a new Spaz TSF tool assisted speedrun! The schedule can be found here, (EST only) and the channel here. They're also raising money for Take This, a charity dedicated to educating on mental health in the video gaming community.

I don't expect anyone to know these marathons, but there's many different ones running every year!

JCF Member

Sep 7, 2019, 10:16 AM
Update time!

An archive of my Lori 1-4 marathon run has been put up. I do have a local recording without the tech issues at the first level, though it's likely only if there if is demand that I will upload it. I'll do better commentary and performance next time, but this seems good for a debut (and most appear to like the commentary).

In other news, Binaryblob will be running Spaz episodes 1-4 at Fleet Fest 2, raising money for Bellingham Food Bank. There's been quite some development in the category since it was last featured in a marathon two years ago, so it's worth the rewatch! Here's the channel and its corresponding schedule. For most people, it'll be running on September the 13th.

P.S for that one guy who voted Jazz 1-4...it'll happen, we promise.

JCF Member

Oct 7, 2019, 03:14 PM
Thanks to JCF cookies/cache/whateverthehellyoucallit now lasting as long as I blink, I lost my 95% finished post entirely when attempting to go into advanced mode. Goddammit. I'll keep it more brief, I'm too annoyed to write anything more.

Here's the Fleet Fest 2 Spaz 1-4 recording, as co-commentated with me.

Also re-reminding that I'll be running at Speedrun Ragnarok 2019 doing Lori episodes 1-4 (again) on the 18th of October for most timezones. They finally got a localised schedule too. Hoping for better commentary and performance this time, even if others thought my first one was good, I still think I can do better. Don't forget about the shiny new Spaz TAS donation incentive - the goal has been announced as $150!

And Jazz is finally having a marathon appearance at Distant Star Cares 2019! I'll be racing BinaryBlob at November the 1st for most timezones. It's a hybrid marathon, but were doing online of course. Click this for your localised schedule.

This will also be the last off-site marathon run I'm doing in a while, until I get a fiber optic connection, as I am unsatisfied with the state of my internet for live-streaming.

JCF Member

Dec 12, 2019, 08:58 AM
Here it is..an overdue update.
The run at speedrun Ragnarok had some technical issues with my internet deciding to go off in the middle of it. I've been trying to find the local recording, but it's buried in a folder.

Meanwhile, our recorded race at Distant Star Cares has still not been uploaded/highlighted yet. Fingers crossed it'll be soon.

As for upcoming live runs, Binaryblob is going to be doing Spaz episodes 1-4 at Dash Through Cancer, a one-off marathon! It was originally meant to be a race between Vug, but he stepped out for personal reasons (albeit unrelated to JJ2). You can find the localised schedule here and channel here. It'll be on the 15th of December for most people.

Expect another update around early/mid-January! Until then...

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2020, 10:21 AM
A somewhat overdue update..

I'm confirmed to be running at an on-site marathon called United Kingdom Speedrunner Gathering! In other words, live in-person cam footage and crisp game-recording like GDQ! I'll be running Jazz or Lori depending on the bidwar results, and the schedule (localized to your timezone) can be found here.. The run will be streamed over at the ESA channel. For most of you guys, the run will be on January the 25th.

I have mainly been delaying this post for the Distant Star Cares recording to be ready, but unfortunately it still isn't, and there's not even a Twitch highlight either.

However, we do have the Spaz run recording for Dash Against Cancer by Binaryblob, including a xmas bonus run at the end.

As many of the JJ2 runners have been playing other games, it is likely 2020 will be a quieter year. But what I hope in compensation - is quality over quantity, new blood and all episode runs.

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2020, 05:35 PM
Mega update!

So..there's been a last-minute decision to add an All Episodes (with) Jazz run to Instaspeedathon 2020. It wasn't originally planned, but a runner had to drop out and no one else was willing to take Friday morning (of the 14th this month). I'm doing three runs there in total...and you can find the schedule localised to your timezone here. Apologies for the short notice, but I wanted to make sure this was 100% confirmed.

On other upcoming runs, I have a Lori episodes 1-4 run due on February the 27th, at Frame Fatales on the gamedonequick channel (yes, that channel). It'll most likely be my last marathon run with her in a long while. Find the schedule here!

As for recordings, the Distant Star Cares Jazz race recording is finally back! It's my best JJ2 marathon run so far and well, Binary slips up a lot. A surprisingly close race. The bonus xmas spaz race was cut, but lets say you haven't missed much (it was both a tech and skill disaster). Go watch the Dash against Cancer recording if you want to see a bonus xmas spaz run instead.

In other more recent recordings, my UKSG run has popped up. Being on-site, this one is in nice crisp quality and has a live cam. There was also a bid war, and somehow Lori won. For training with Jazz prior the entire time, it's okay enough.

JCF Member

Mar 2, 2020, 06:49 PM
New megapost time!

I'm going to be running Jazz episodes 1-4 very soon at Quickcade 2 - the 7th of March! It's an on-site event held at London, so expect more crisp footage and live cam! I'll also be meeting Ragnarok too! Unfortunately it was too late for him to book by the time I was going to ask, so he won't be at the venue. Click here for the schedule, localised to your timezone!

As for the run archive;

The first ever All Episodes marathon run came into action here, and it's with Jazz at Instaspeedathon! That's the main, demo and expansion levels all in one run. For the few days of practice I had, it's okay enough. Pardon the tech-hiccups, that was the hosts fault.

Here's the Lori run I did at Frame Fatales, a spin-off marathon held by GamesDoneQuick. It also happened to be really close to my UKSG time. Also, the in-game music and sound died because I rushed myself going on voice chat with the wrong device. Sorry about that.

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2020, 02:53 AM
Hey! Sorry, there's been a last-minute change of plans.

We couldn't use the venue for Quickcade that was intended because the company closed down all meetings in fear of Coronavirus outbreak, so we had to move venue. Unfortunately, this also resulted in us compressing times further. My time has now shifted to earlier in the day, but I bet it'll be a bit delayed. You can view the new schedule here and find the channel here.

Also, Rag appears to be sick so I probably won't be able to meet him. :c

JCF Member

Mar 25, 2020, 01:31 PM
Missed the Quickcade 2 Jazz run? You can find it here. The capture card was malfunctioning, so you may notice some thin flashing bars on the screen. It's not that distracting though.

So, near the end of this month I'm going to be doing a Jazz race with Jose Mantis, at Speedrunners against Covid-19, a one-off marathon to help raise money coping with the pandemic. He's a pretty new runner, but closely skilled. It'll be on the 29th of March for most timezones, and you can find the schedule localized to yours. Also, click here for the channel where the event will be streamed. Keep in mind it's a personal channel, rather than dedicated for events.

I'm going to be taking a break from JJ2 marathon runs for at least a month and a half. If anyone else gets in, I'll still give the heads up. Hoping to do some other cool JJ-related stuff during the break.

JCF Member

May 19, 2020, 10:50 AM
Time to revive this thread...back to running this game soon!

I'm going to be doing Jazz episodes 1-4 for NASA Online, on June the 7th. The marathon itself will be running on two separate weekends, the 5th to 7th of June and the 12th to 14th of June. This is the first weekend (the one I'm running on) schedule, and this is the second weekend one. You can also find the channel here. I wanted to submit a new category, but the deadline was looming very soon. As always, the schedules are localized to your timezone.

You can also watch our race recording at Speedrunners against Covid-19 right here. There is no extract, so I have timestamped the link instead.

JCF Member

Oct 14, 2020, 02:08 PM
Jazz2 marathon runs are back..both on Halloween...in close call of each other! It's a big coincidence. You may wanna take your pick which one to watch live.

To start off, Dominator_101 will be running Jazz episodes 1-4 at Shots Fired. You may remember he ran at this event before years ago, as a Spaz race with Binaryblob. Here's the channel and schedule, localised to your timezone!

Secondly, I will be running at Calithon Spooktacular, running Lori episodes 1-4. There's also a bonus incentive to run The Secret Files! Also, be prepared for a special dressed-up appearance on cam.... Find the channel here and localised times here!

I believe both marathons get a decent amount of viewership, so neither will be too quiet.

You can also check out the old NASA online recording with Jazz here. It also includes the glitch exhibition bonus incentive, you might learn a new (useless but fun) quirk or two!