Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Bug Report Can't run multiple instances of JJ2 on 5.10

Zero[CDF]

JCF Member

Zero[CDF] has disabled reputation

Dec 20, 2022, 12:37 AM
Can't run multiple instances of JJ2 on 5.10

I sometimes want to run several instances of JJ2.
With 5.10 I can only run one. The second one closes as soon as I open it.
I wasn't sure if this qualifies as a bug or a feature.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 20, 2022, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the report! In the meantime, you can run JJ2+ with any of several command line arguments that bypass this behavior, including:
  • -menu
  • -connect
  • a level filename, such as from "Save & Run" in a level editor
Together those three should cover all entry points one might want for running JJ2.

To add a command line argument to a shortcut, right-click it in Explorer or on the desktop, open "Properties," then add it to the end of the "Target" field in the properties window. For example, C:\Games\Jazz2\Jazz2.exe -menu

To add a command line argument in GOG Galaxy, click , then under "Manage installation," choose "Configure." Open the "Features" tab, check the "Custom executables / arguments" checkbox, then create a "Duplicate" launch parameter and edit its "Arguments" field.

Interestingly, this one-instance-limit was more or less the vanilla behavior, but it's been long enough since it got patched that people may have forgotten it until the patch broke in 5.10...

ETA: This behavior has been fixed for 5.11. I'll leave the thread open for a while in case people want to talk about workarounds some more.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Dec 22, 2022 at 12:32 PM.
Closed Thread