Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Feature Request Per-subscreen resolution sizes for splitscreen

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Aug 23, 2020, 10:39 AM
Per-subscreen resolution sizes for splitscreen

This just occurred to me -- why not allow bigger total screensizes if you're playing splitscreen multiplayer, as long as the subscreens are 800x600 or smaller?

So, for instance, you could play a two-player game with each player playing in an 800x600 subscreen, making for a total ingame screen size of 1600x600 (perfect for anyone with a 1600x900 monitor).
Alternatively, a four-player game, with each player in an 800x540 subscreen, which would give a total ingame screen size of 1600x1080 (perfect for anyone with a 1080p monitor).
Or, you could even do a four-player game with each player in an 800x600 subscreen, giving a total size of 1600x1200.

Probably not the most useful feature to have in pandemic time, but when we can all start going over to friends' houses, it would be neat to have bigger splitscreen sizes.

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Aug 26, 2020, 10:17 AM
I don't think jj2 can handle that and will just crash.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 26, 2020, 11:55 AM
If you want to have a 1600x1080 window while playing splitscreen, it's going to be 1600x1080 the rest of the time too. That'll leave a lot of empty space in all parts of the menu, and some big black borders around the game area of the window in any non-splitscreen ingame contexts. That's all awkward but okay. I am concerned about the effect it might have on FPS to basically draw two or more entire full-sized games at once.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Sep 12, 2020, 04:28 PM
Can't it just change resolution when not ingame? The opening logos and such do this; they're at 640x480 or 320x240, then the game switches to whatever your resolution is when the game starts up.

Not really a big issue though, I guess. Probably the big issue would be, as you note, the question of whether it can do 2+ full-size screens.