Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Foo races still avaible?

TheKax

JCF Member

TheKax is doing well so far

Sep 25, 2010, 09:16 AM
Foo races still avaible?

Since fooproductions.com is not anymore online, I'd like to know is there any way to obtain the (in)famous foo races? I have come a "fan" of the subject after hosting team foos for a while, and I'd like to see the original foos too. I know they are plain stupid, but fun, or at least they say so. I'd really like to have some of the JJ2 "classics" revived, since some are not avaible for downloads at J2O downloads section. Sad.

PS. The J2F search functions is a pain in the bottom, as it's impossible to search for "foo"...

Foos and Fooruman live for ever!

It seem JCF administration got a move on since my name got "finally" changed. But hey thanks guys out there.

Making kind of a tribute to Foo races + research on the subject... (It's going better now that we have finally foo races uploaded ==> HERE.)
Progress: ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ 10% or so...
And also randomly here and there hosting the original Team Foo races!

"Your reputation on this post is Somewhat Positive."
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:12 AM
Speeza
This message has been deleted by Speeza. Reason: Woops wrong one

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Sep 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
They are not online anywhere that I know of, but I can try to get a pack together. The only thing really preventing me from ever having uploaded them to J2O is the fact that the levels really don't work as a 'pack.' By that I mean that many of the 'next level' strings do not lead to the correct level, some of the races are unfinished, and some races are downright unplayable, whether they be punishingly difficult or just not tested enough.

If you saw the above and said TL;DR then here's what to take away: I will upload a pack of Foo Races soon, but don't expect them to meet current levelmaking standards. In any way.

Finally, for what it's worth, I consider the Foo Races to be 'open source' now. Feel free to edit them or throw them in level packs (within reason) all you like. However, credit MUST be given to both me and Stephen / Spotty.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Sep 25, 2010, 07:44 PM
Can we also edit the foo tile-sets (with credit of course), and use fooruman and the story in our own levels etc ?

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Sep 25, 2010, 09:53 PM
There is no unified story. The best you can hope for -- if not necessarily get -- is continuity within a single medium.

JCF Member

Sep 25, 2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
There is no unified story. The best you can hope for -- if not necessarily get -- is continuity within a single medium.
Very true. Most of the races were not made in order, and many races only feature storyline progression in the form of text strings. The Foo Races canon is also separate and distinct from Foo Movie canon and Foo Comics canon. And all of those are very separate from the Foo Stories canon!

Basically, the story is hard to keep track of.
TheKax

JCF Member

Sep 26, 2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
They are not online anywhere that I know of, but I can try to get a pack together. The only thing really preventing me from ever having uploaded them to J2O is the fact that the levels really don't work as a 'pack.' By that I mean that many of the 'next level' strings do not lead to the correct level, some of the races are unfinished, and some races are downright unplayable, whether they be punishingly difficult or just not tested enough.

If you saw the above and said TL;DR then here's what to take away: I will upload a pack of Foo Races soon, but don't expect them to meet current levelmaking standards. In any way.

Finally, for what it's worth, I consider the Foo Races to be 'open source' now. Feel free to edit them or throw them in level packs (within reason) all you like. However, credit MUST be given to both me and Stephen / Spotty.
Do I hear a call to the arms? No, I mean call to the JCS! It really sounds like a challenge for someone to make them playable... As the concept (at least for team foo races) is actually very interesting and I've found that people (with IQ enough to be able to solve team foos' puzzles) have loved to play them, but the gameplay mechanics are outdated and sometimes plain unreasonable. For example one of them (can't remember or bother to check which one, the one with Mez tileset) contains a single player race open for those who join too late. The problem is that it is possible to "win" (in JJ2 terms, cycling the level as (NOT) supposed) far before neither team even had a chance to get to the end... But that's not very hard to fix. And then, one of them has trigger problems, where the doors won't open for clients, only for server. I don't think it's a lag issue as it happens pretty much always, much more likely a mistake in the level's own system. Not so sure about that.

PS. If anyone wants, some of the other "classics" (well you must get the idea) could be reuploaded (those which are not anymore avaible) altough they are clearly outdated, but they could give ideas and inspiration to present levelmakers plus clearly give us a glance at JJ2 history. Museum like, you get the idea.

PS PS. for story stuff, we always have http://www.jazz2online.com/articles/...?articleID=201 but I do know its nowhere near readable.

It seem JCF administration got a move on since my name got "finally" changed. But hey thanks guys out there.

Making kind of a tribute to Foo races + research on the subject... (It's going better now that we have finally foo races uploaded ==> HERE.)

Last edited by TheKax; Sep 26, 2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Ps ps.

JCF Member

Sep 26, 2010, 06:43 AM
Kax that's awesome news to hear. Anything fooruman related is good I was kinda thinking of doing something fooruman related too.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Sep 26, 2010, 05:35 PM
If you want to make level cycling work properly, just make a jj2+ levellist, putting them in treasure mode. It only takes a few seconds. If you do this, you can also automatically make a zip file with all of the levels, AND include the tilesets. It couldn't be easier.

You'd probably have to make separate lists (or even separate j2o uploads) for the normal foo races and team foo races.

It's interesting that you mention unfinished races. As far as I remember, there weren't really that many unfinished ones (or at least, the only ones that got hosted were finished, and there were a whole lot of those). The main problem was that some of them were basically unwinnable due to what I will politely refer to here as "design issues".

In any case I'd also be interested in seeing this on J2O, since I remember making two or three of them semi-anonymously, and I've totally forgotten the filenames now.

JCF Member

Sep 26, 2010, 06:30 PM
I seem to have many of the files still. They were called race 4 5 6 7 8 right ?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 27, 2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
I remember making two or three of them semi-anonymously, and I've totally forgotten the filenames now.
race16 was one of my favorites EM!

JCF Member

Sep 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
Some of the races made by 'guest artists' were some of the best. I have not really messed with JJ2+ levellists, but it sounds like that's what I'm looking for. Stay tuned for a Foo Race pack, featuring previously unreleased (and some unfinished) races!
TheKax

JCF Member

Sep 27, 2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
Some of the races made by 'guest artists' were some of the best. I have not really messed with JJ2+ levellists, but it sounds like that's what I'm looking for. Stay tuned for a Foo Race pack, featuring previously unreleased (and some unfinished) races!
Good to hear, I think were all been waiting for it. At last!

+ I'm compiling a .PDF of all fooruman/foo race/foo stuff related texts online, like j2o articles, foo SP storyline and stuff. "Stay tuned"!

BTW,

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2O article: FOORUMAN: UNCENSORED
»ŁÁb ŔáT kïĐ« says:
Will the story ever be completed?
ßlänk Ñïñj(-) says:
certainly.
»ŁÁb ŔáT kïĐ« says:
Thank you, and thank you to all our viewers for watching FOORUMAN : UNCENSORED.

to be continued... some day
When will this happen?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Sep 27, 2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
+ I'm compiling a .PDF of all fooruman/foo race/foo stuff related texts online, like j2o articles, foo SP storyline and stuff. "Stay tuned"!

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Whats that ?

TheKax

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
S'that supposed to mean sumthin?
OK OK the story is not over, even Black Ninja said so... Hope it will be continued, but not (in the exact meaning) ended.

(Or then that was just a very very overmassive (is that a word?) way to say hold on for a second, you'll get more to write of?)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
It took me a good 10 minutes to remember the URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
S'that supposed to mean sumthin?
TheKax

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Man you got to learn to write text.

Where can I get that FRICKING great looking natures ruins + hocus pocus tileset mix, or is it just "photoshopped"?
Sorry for big font. I was feeling it got unnocticed. To compensate, this text is painfully small.

Last edited by TheKax; Sep 29, 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:15 PM
n00b
This message has been deleted by n00b. Reason: nvm

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Sep 28, 2010, 08:37 PM
Technically, "is not over" and "will never be finished" are perfectly compatible.

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2010, 09:17 PM
We certainly haven't told the Foo storyline to the extent we'd like to have, but at the moment nothing is being worked on other than Foo Comics, which are still a ways off.

JCF Member

Sep 28, 2010, 10:56 PM
THE COMICS ARE NON CANON
TheKax

JCF Member

Sep 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
THE COMICS ARE NON CANON
Canon, you can! (pun intended)
Hope you could at least extend the story... To fill a whole fantasy world of Foo's...
For I did not wish the story to be ended, I meant to someone to extend it.
We want a fully fledged, backgrounded and rich (not in literal meaning) foo world. I do know the story is faaaaaaar from clear...

Last edited by TheKax; Sep 29, 2010 at 08:33 AM.

JCF Member

Sep 30, 2010, 06:25 PM
I've got a pack of races being worked on at the moment (the 'work' part mostly being digging through old backups to find some of the 'rare' races).

It's a little touching to see some people still care about Foo Products other than me and Spoy. The comics are being worked on, and there's the ever-infamous 'Foo Movies DVD' that will maybe happen someday, but that's it at the moment. If I can round up a team of people who can actively contribute, I'd be happy to work on some more projects.

JCF Member

Oct 1, 2010, 09:14 AM
Of course people care about foo products. It makes them laugh. The storyline might not be a blockbuster, but we like it that way. The levels were also very fun. Foo products to me feels like a part of the JJ2 community. Its a shame foo movies ended back in 2005 because every "episode" just got better and better.
Team foo races used to be hosted a lot, but since there aren't too many perhaps its going a little stale. The foo races were awesome little levels as well along with some of the tilesets coming with them (cola , pokemon etc).

NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Oct 2, 2010, 04:22 AM
It's silly, joyous fun, of course people still care BN :P

Kax I might be able to help you try and find stuff if you want.

JCF Member

Spotty has disabled reputation

Oct 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
too bad I didn't see this thread earlier. I have all the foo races including some which were updated to be more playable. I can upload them onto my webserver later this week, and then if BN wants he can put them to the j2o downloads.

JCF Member

Oct 27, 2010, 09:09 PM
Failing that, I had a chance to dig through my ooooold jj2 cache recently and found files going up to race36, and I also have another slightly more recent set that goes up to foorace22 (as far as I can tell they are the exact same levels, but I am missing the latter 14 in the second set). I also have 5 team foo races and 2 or 3 ctf levels (2 confirmed... I believe I also have the one FS made but I can't remember the filename).

It would be better if spoy uploads what he has, though.

JCF Veteran

Oct 28, 2010, 05:38 AM
Quote:
I believe I also have the one FS made but I can't remember the filename
foomovctf.j2l?
Spotty

JCF Member

Oct 31, 2010, 01:05 AM
I don't have time to look for tilesets, but if there are one or two really strange tilesets that only I might have you can request it and I'll look around.

The normal ones: http://stephenramsay.com/other_proje...s/FooRaces.zip

This one is an attempted revision to upgrade eye candy, and make them slightly more playable, purists won't like it as it got rid of the coin system among other things:
http://stephenramsay.com/other_proje...es-Revised.zip

Team Foo Races were actually posted to J2o:
http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...-races-pack-1/

JCF Member

Oct 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
Here are all of the tilesets and music files I could scrounge up. I just used plus.exe to find them, but as far as I can tell, all of the necessary tilesets are there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7c9akn8zgmsz5uw

JCF Member

Nov 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Here are all of the tilesets and music files I could scrounge up. I just used plus.exe to find them, but as far as I can tell, all of the necessary tilesets are there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7c9akn8zgmsz5uw
Thanks so much !

TheKax

JCF Member

Nov 13, 2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks a lot for wasting... using your time to get hold of such a piece of history of JJ2, and maybe we will someday see a (good, well working versions) J2O upload about these. I must dig up the doc file i made before, so I can add all tad stuff to the "story" and maybe finally publish it. Kind of research on the subject.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Dec 7, 2011, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the old thread revival, but I'm having trouble finding Foo-related stuff. I can't find Movies 3-12, and I can't find the Comic at all. Can anyone help me?

JCF Member

wadledee is doing well so far

Dec 22, 2011, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the movies they made? Those were brilliant!!
EVILMIKE CAPTURED THE FLAG

JCF Member

Dec 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah, where are the Foo Movies? I saw the first two, but I can't remember what website it was(I think it's the "new" Foo Website), but whatever it was it hasn't been updated for a long, long time.

JCF Member

Dec 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
The Foo Movies are now live again on my website =) : http://www.stephenramsay.com/other_p.../foomovies.php
(click on the titles and a pop up will appear)

They were down for awhile as I wasn't aware a website upgrade I did had disabled them.

JCF Member

Dec 23, 2011, 03:08 AM
Thanks so much!

EDIT: Oh, and were the Foo Comics ever actually made? If so, where can I find them?

Last edited by Love & Thunder; Dec 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM.