Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Galaxies?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
Galaxies?

Recently there've popped up on the ERE some pages purporting to identify the galaxy or galaxies JJ1 takes place in. The claims are centralized in the main JJ1 article. The source given is the Jazz Jackrabbit Wiki(a), as written by someone called Videogamer13, which does not give any source. The only mentions of the local group I've been able to find are this We Love Dos Games article, which mentions only the Triangulum galaxy but not Andromeda or the Milky Way, and a comment on this Youtube video, which does not give any justification for the belief.

As far as direct evidence goes, text internal to JJ1 (i.e. in the cutscenes) makes repeated references to "the galaxy" without offering any name. The manual refers to the Gene Machine episode as taking place in a different galaxy than the others -- a fact not represented in the local group trichotomy -- but still offers no names. The bar Jazz stops at in the JJ1 comic to get information about Devan has "intergalactic" in the title, reinforcing the idea that multiple galaxies are known, even if most of the action seems to take place in just one. JJ2 is mostly silent on the issue but does mention that winning the game is tantamount to "preserv[ing] the well being of the entire galaxy," singular.

So... where is this Andromeda/Triangulum/Milky Way stuff from in the first place? The division of the galaxies by episode feels too specific to have all originated out of that one Youtube comment. I can understand the claim that the ending cutscene of Episode 6 takes place in the Milky Way, since there's a very Earth-looking planet in the background, but that's still a long way from saying that every episode of JJ1 takes place in one of these three specific galaxies and by the way we also know which one is in which. Is there a source that I just don't know about, or did somebody make something up that someone else later took as fact?

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Dec 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
JJ2 is mostly silent on the issue
I suppose it's so because all of it except for the Flashback episode seems to take place on Carrotus. Then again, there's no reason given why exactly Jazz and Spaz are suddenly transported not only in time, but also in space in this particular episode, and PERHAPS other levels are also on different planets. For all there is, Beach could very well be Lagunicus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
So... where is this Andromeda/Triangulum/Milky Way stuff from in the first place? The division of the galaxies by episode feels too specific to have all originated out of that one Youtube comment. I can understand the claim that the ending cutscene of Episode 6 takes place in the Milky Way, since there's a very Earth-looking planet in the background, but that's still a long way from saying that every episode of JJ1 takes place in one of these three specific galaxies and by the way we also know which one is in which. Is there a source that I just don't know about, or did somebody make something up that someone else later took as fact?
Nothing can be said for sure, as far as I know. I did research, and still look back now and then into the games' manuals, cutscenes and everything like that, for the scenario of my fan comic, Guilty Gene (of which specifically you undoubtly know). In it, I'm assuming that the Jazz Jackrabbit universe is the same as the Earth universe, except the galaxies are very distant from ours, making direct contact impossible (I'm using this assumption only for cool little shout-outs). That Earth-like planet could very well be Diamondus, Exoticus, or any other that's remotely green and blue. Perhaps I'm missing or don't remember something, but chances that I do are slim.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 19, 2011, 04:48 PM
I know I've seen something that described JJ2 as all taking place on one planet, but that's easily disproved by Flashback, and besides I don't remember if it was an official source or not. I know I've seen Beach associated with Lagunicus and HH98 with Holidaius, but that's always just speculation. JJ2 supplemental materials do make frequent reference to Carrotus... the Prima Strategy Guide calls Psych a "special part of the galaxy," but at the same time fails to notice that Diamondus, Tubelectric, and Medivo are planets, so I'm only so willing to trust it on that issue. Given that the JJ3 map shows that Carrotus is a significantly more varied environment than just palace gardens, I do like the neatness of putting everything in JJ2 (except for Flashback) on Carrotus.

Quote:
Diamondus, Exoticus, or any other that's remotely green and blue.
Except that we do actually know what all the JJ1 planets look like from space, and only Diamondus remotely qualifies.