Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Miscellaneous Stuff

Who are you? (Introductions!)

JCF …minence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 19, 2017, 11:36 AM
Welcome! I would say we're not hostile but we don't always take it into consideration that people may not know specific things already, because most of us have been here for so long. Hopefully you don't run into that in a bad way.

There's not a big recommendation thread because J2O's downloads section basically is that already, since everyone is allowed (and encouraged) to review other people's work. You can sort by rating (and narrow that down by selecting certain level types instead of just "All"), though some of the stuff at the very top may just be there because one person rated it a 10 and nobody else bothered. The best sign is a high rating and a significant number of reviews.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 19, 2017, 12:08 PM
Hi. Always nice to see a new face. If you're interested in single player levels, one thing worth knowing is that if you just download some of the top-rated levels, you will experience a major jump in difficulty in comparison to the official JJ2 levels. They're not all extremely hard, it's just that the official JJ2 campaign doesn't prepare you for facing them any more than playing in a sandbox prepares you for running a marathon. It's easy to get discouraged if you can't find anything playable.

Some of the easier high-quality single player uploads include Tomb Rabbit 2, Literally Frozen Spring, Night World, and the recent ‹rdŁng Chronicles #1.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 19, 2017, 12:43 PM
Hi there! Welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollscythe View Post
I'm a programmer so hopefully I can make some cool things with angelscript!
I'm also a programmer and a web developer! There are a few more of us around here.
Right now developing a custom-made JCS level editor.
See my signature for some links
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

JCF Member

Robo4900 has disabled reputation

Jan 19, 2017, 02:32 PM
Hello, and welcome to your doom the fandom.

Although it's pretty hard, I still stand by my eternal favourite, FSP: Rent Collection, and its not quite as good but still really fun precursor, Time Tripping JJ2.

Also, avoid The Lost World Episode. It's one of the highest-rated J2O levels of all time, but it really doesn't hold up nowadays.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jan 19, 2017, 06:20 PM
Hello fellow Canadian :D

Along with Tomb Rabbit 2, possibly my favorite single player map pack still has to be The Episode by Blade. Can't say how many times I've replayed that pack since my childhood, and it should be relatively easy. I would also then afterwards recommend Rocket Powered Rabbits for a completely different scripted experience, although it is pretty difficult its a lot of fun and shows the potential of what can be done with angelscript.

JCF Member

Dollscythe is doing well so far

Jan 20, 2017, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Hi. Always nice to see a new face. If you're interested in single player levels, one thing worth knowing is that if you just download some of the top-rated levels, you will experience a major jump in difficulty in comparison to the official JJ2 levels. They're not all extremely hard, it's just that the official JJ2 campaign doesn't prepare you for facing them any more than playing in a sandbox prepares you for running a marathon. It's easy to get discouraged if you can't find anything playable.

Some of the easier high-quality single player uploads include Tomb Rabbit 2, Literally Frozen Spring, Night World, and the recent ‹rdŁng Chronicles #1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Hello, and welcome to your doom the fandom.

Although it's pretty hard, I still stand by my eternal favourite, FSP: Rent Collection, and its not quite as good but still really fun precursor, Time Tripping JJ2.

Also, avoid The Lost World Episode. It's one of the highest-rated J2O levels of all time, but it really doesn't hold up nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraptor View Post
Hello fellow Canadian

Along with Tomb Rabbit 2, possibly my favorite single player map pack still has to be The Episode by Blade. Can't say how many times I've replayed that pack since my childhood, and it should be relatively easy. I would also then afterwards recommend Rocket Powered Rabbits for a completely different scripted experience, although it is pretty difficult its a lot of fun and shows the potential of what can be done with angelscript.
Wow! Thanks all for the warm welcome and the suggestions! I'll be sure to check them all out once I get set up with JJ2+

Way back before JJ2+ was around I used to play online and tried a bunch of difficult tests, and played some competitive, so hopefully the difficulty spike shouldn't be too hard for me. I somehow managed to not know about jazz2online all this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJazz View Post
Hi there! Welcome

I'm also a programmer and a web developer! There are a few more of us around here.
Right now developing a custom-made JCS level editor.
See my signature for some links
I'll take a look at those! Truth be told my favourite part of JJ2 was always the level editor, I have a folder with dozens upon dozens of custom levels. Angelscript makes me excited because I recall you could already do some pretty crazy stuff in the editor, like certain combinations of events would spawn unexpected output. The point being scripting control can lead to a huge amount of new possibility!

I'll probably try a bunch of the custom single player stuff, inevitably try and beat that pack-in map King of Boredom or whatever the name was, and then start looking into the updated editor

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 20, 2017, 08:55 AM
Hi! Always thrilled to meet someone new here. Also if you're into online play, the multiplayer scripted levels are a lot of fun as well! Here's my personal favorite, among the scripted ones at least.

Looking forward to the stuff you make with Angelscript, and ofc have fun!
Dollscythe

JCF Member

Dollscythe is doing well so far

Jan 20, 2017, 10:21 AM
Is there any sort of live chat for JJ2? I know a lot of people use discord now, is there a JJ2 discord group? Or would the best way just be to join a server and talk to people?

Also, is there any way to play on Ubuntu without setting up a VM? I'd love to play on the go, but my only windows machine is my desktop.

Also, is there another thread I should use for general questions? I don't want to take over the intro thread here with offtopic posts if there is a better board for them!

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 20, 2017, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Is there any sort of live chat for JJ2? I know a lot of people use discord now, is there a JJ2 discord group? Or would the best way just be to join a server and talk to people?
-pokes sig-

You won't find all of the JCFers/online players there though, but some JJ players can only be found there.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 20, 2017, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Also, is there any way to play on Ubuntu without setting up a VM? I'd love to play on the go, but my only windows machine is my desktop.
JJ2 and JJ2+ run great in Wine, that's what I use to play on Linux (and have for the past 7 years or so). You can go the easy route and use my Lutris script, all you need is the JJ2 installer file: https://lutris.net/games/jazz-jackrabbit-2/
It will patch your game with the latest plus automatically.
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2017, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Also, is there another thread I should use for general questions? I don't want to take over the intro thread here with offtopic posts if there is a better board for them!
This forum isn't the most active place on the web. I think posting questions here is fine for now, but maybe open up a thread in the General JJ2 section if you're really concerned.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jan 21, 2017, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Hi all,

Bought JJ2 at release because I thought the boxart was cute (I was 5!) and it has been my fav game ever since. Never though to see if there was a community in all that time!

Pretty shy so hoping this community is friendly!

Looks like I missed a ton in terms of JJ2+ so I'll have a lot of catching up to do. I'm a programmer so hopefully I can make some cool things with angelscript! Going to check out the recent Jcs award winner about any older recommendations would be great (is there a recommendation thread somewhere I don't see?)

Hi everyone ^.^
I'm a bit late but, oh well. Heya! I'm glad to see a new JCF member. It gives me hope that this community will never die. Also it's nice to see some enthusiasm from you, even though you might change your mind, oh well... Still, I'm happy to see a potential new, uh, valuable member of this community (unlike me).

I'm Primpy. Used to be a huge annoyance. Now I'm a smaller annoyance. Don't be like me.

Have fun, enjoy your stay!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:59 AM
TanKanT
This message has been deleted by TanKanT. Reason: Revised better intro

JCF Member

TanKanT is doing well so far

Apr 10, 2017, 10:21 AM
Hi, My name is Michael And i Am Known as TanKanT In JJ2

I know i might not be a brand new player but i feel like i never
properly introduced myself to everyone yet so i shall do this.

I Started Playing Jazz Jackrabbit Back in 2000 on a old ibm pc
then when my uncle gave me a windows 98 machine loaded with jj2
I Took To Playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Single Player in 2001, Almost Every Day.
Once My Parents Got me internet i joined a server and learned there was a
Patch called jj2+ and i then fell in love with jazz jackrabbit alot more because
I Learned That There Was a small community left that loves jj so i signed up
And also Started Hosting a Small Server to meet new ppl and play games on
And i Met All sorts of nice ppl in the jj2 community and i even got
a tattoo of jazz jackrabbit because i became such a jj2 addict.
And i would love to say thank you to everyone that helps keep jj2 alive.
And Thank You To the everyday ppl i meet on jazz jackrabbit 2
It wouldent be the same without you all. you have all earned a place in my heart

So with me parting with these words and introduction,

i would like to welcome every new player to the jj2 family
may your stay with us be the best it can be, have fun laugh and love.

Best Of Luck,
TanKanT

JCF Member

Apr 10, 2017, 01:10 PM

JCF Member

DeathKiller is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2017, 10:01 AM
Hi,
I'm player and programmer from the Czech Republic.
I know this website for long time, but I never post/contribute here. But now, it's time to show you my (almost complete) remake of JJ2, which I'm working on in silence for about 7 months.

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2017, 01:23 PM
Hello there! Your project sounds interesting

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2017, 04:51 PM
Greetings, DeathKiller.

If I may ask, how does one kill death?

I've always found death to be rather annoying; he keeps coming over to my house and eating all my pizza leftovers, so advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

JCF Member

DeathKiller is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2017, 11:56 PM
I really don't know. This nickname is old, but I'm still using it. It doesn't have any meaning.

JCF Member

DJVee is doing well so far

Jul 16, 2017, 10:45 PM
Yoyoooo

I'm DJ Vee! I just got into play Jazz 2 a few days ago, went ahead and made an account in case I get proper hooked, hahaha. I may have to get in on some proper full matches soon! If the 1v1s are anything to go by, it'll be crazy!~

Outside of here, I'm an alias-based music producer online, and love it to bits. Offline, I work in the video game industry. Technically. I work at an independent video game store. Hey, if it's enough to theoretically get into E3 with, that's the video game industry in my book!

Last edited by DJVee; Jul 16, 2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Little more info lol

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 17, 2017, 09:54 AM
Welcome!

What does it mean to be an "alias-based" producer?

JCF Member

Jul 17, 2017, 06:06 PM
Welcome to JCF!

Good luck finding someone to duel though, lol. People hardly play CTF these days (but if you mean battle, you can always find Jety).

JCF Member

DJVee is doing well so far

Jul 18, 2017, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Welcome!

What does it mean to be an "alias-based" producer?
Glad to be here!

An alias-based producer is one person who produces many styles of music, which are then released under different names. Usually, these names will have characters with their own defining traits attached.

The modern form of the concept was pioneered by Ren Queenston, who releases music under the virtual label Lapfox Trax. Queenston was inspired originally by the various in-house musicians of Konami's BEMANI brand of rhythm games, which include Dance Dance Revolution, beatmania, and Pop'n Music, among others. Some lesser inspiration for them was also derived from hardcore producing legend Scott Brown, who would dabble with releasing under different names from time to time.

JCF Member

BunOfThunder has disabled reputation

Dec 14, 2017, 12:48 AM
Hello people!
My forum name is BunOfThunder: I've been a long-time Jazz Jackrabbit player and I discovered the games way back in the 90s! Quite infact, I've been heavily lurking these very forums many years ago, but never got around to open up an account, mostly because I wasn't internet-savvy back then.

I recently acquired the whole JJ series again via GOG and I was happily surprised to see that the JJ2+ patch, which you guys have worked on, is included in the purchase and adds so much to the original game! Along with the plethora of custom levels provided by the community, it's truly a breath of fresh air that keeps this game strong through the years, with its replayability factor getting renewed on and on.
Seeing the patch in action has reminded me of the J2O community, so I went back and finally registered. It's great to see this place still active!

I'm known elsewhere on the net with other usernames, yet I feel this one I chose will be most appropriate for JJ related contents. =D
Outside here and offline, I'm known as a tattoo designer, illustrator, and graphic novel artist. Overall, I like to keep myself busy, and although I'm absolutely abysmal with programming skills of any kind, I'd be very happy to be useful for eventual updates and contribute when it comes to graphical contents.
That's... really all I can think of now! Glad to meet you all!

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Dec 15, 2017, 07:17 AM
Hey, BunOfThunder! *waving hand emoji, but JCF doesn't support emojis so, uh, use your imagination* It's always nice to see a new (or rather old?) face around here. Enjoy your stay!

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Dec 16, 2017, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Hey, BunOfThunder! *waving hand emoji, but JCF doesn't support emojis so, uh, use your imagination* It's always nice to see a new (or rather old?) face around here. Enjoy your stay!

What do you mean? Smillies are working just fine.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 16, 2017, 04:48 AM
Smileys (images) work fine, emoji don't:

��

Jazz2Online predates the mainstream adoption of Unicode, and the invention of emoji. So unfortunately it's not set up to handle them correctly. I might be able to tweak some settings so that they work, but don't hold your breath.

JCF Member

MartiusR has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 02:49 PM
Hello Everyone!

My real name is Marcin, I'm from Poland, and I'm playing in PC games since 1997. Yeah, more than 20 years ago, time flies like crazy!

I've met Jazz (Jazz 2 Secret files - polish edition containing "merged" Jazz 2 and Secret Files add-on) for the first time in... That's a good question, I think that it was 2001 or 2002, but I'm not sure for 100%. For sure it was present to me and my sibling due to Children's Day, chosen by me. It was one of the best choices in my life - despite the fact that it was a "lucky shot", as I've never heard about this game before.

Asides from PC games (my favourite genres are strategies, esp. turn-based, cRPGs, FPS and of course platform games), I like fantasy/sci-fi books and board games (especially those competetive, such as Neuroshima Hex).
MagicalRabbit

JCF Member

MagicalRabbit has disabled reputation

May 14, 2018, 02:54 AM
Hello fellow Jack Jazzrabbit fans!

I'm just a person who found out Jazz Jackrabbit is available on GOG website. This game started my love for platformer genre but as many of you, this game remained as my favorite, ever since I launched it for the first time !
Electric Ir

JCF Member

Electric Ir is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2019, 02:52 AM
Not so much "who am I", but rather: "where is everyone"?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 4, 2019, 05:38 AM
Mostly on Discord.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Electric Ir

JCF Member

Electric Ir is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2019, 11:23 AM
Thanks, that's quite helpful.

JCF Member

sophiaedward64 has disabled reputation

Jul 15, 2019, 09:39 PM
Hello I am also newbie here