Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

There's nothing to do about this!

Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Feb 10, 2005, 07:52 AM
Unhappy There's nothing to do about this!

The pop-ups will come up always, and most of my programs get errors because of them! What can I do? I give up, I run my Yahoo! Anti-spam ev'ryday but the pop-ups still comes out of nowhere! There's nothing to do about this! I wish I had a better computer!

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 10, 2005, 07:57 AM
An anti-spam program obviously doesn't work against popups. Like I said, run a program like SpyBot S&D regularly to stay clear of spyware, which is probably the cause of the popups.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Feb 10, 2005, 08:08 AM
Okay, there are two main causes of popups. The most common one is from adverts on websites. Those are easy to get rid of - all you need is a decent popup blocker. I use the Google toolbar, which is very effective and only rarely lets a popup through. You can also easily disable the popup blocker for a website, or just one popup if it's blocking something by mistake. I've got no experience with Yahoo Antispy, but from what I've heard it has been programmed to ignore some spyware on purpose. You'd be better off ditching it and using something like Spybot or Ad-Aware.

The other main cause of popups is from adware. That's software that exists on your computer for the sole purpose of displaying ads to make money for someone else. Adware often sends back information like your browsing history. Spyware, BTW, is basically adware but withou the ad-displaying part and with more of the snooping part.

You can get rid of adware with a decent antispyware program. There are two out there that are considered by professionals to be worth getting - Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Both are free and well-supported. I use Spybot myself, but it's more of an expert's program - Ad-Aware is easier to use for someone new to computers and antispyware utilities. Don't forget to keep them up to date and run them often (every couple of weeks is usually enough).

Note that adware and spyware is generally easy to avoid if you use common sense and don't run software that you're not sure about. This includes things like ActiveX programs which a lot of websites will try to cram down your throat. You should only download software that you know is trustworthy.

Hmm... after reading your post again I notice you are having errors. Could you post details of the errors and popups - it's generally a lot easier to troubleshoot stuff when we have an error message to go on. Take screen shots and upload them if needed.

Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:25 AM
Blaze The Movie Fan
This message has been deleted by Blaze The Movie Fan.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2005, 08:06 AM
Search and Destory didn't work, the annoying pop-ups are still there!

Stealth Admin

Feb 11, 2005, 08:19 AM
Could you post details of the popups?

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2005, 09:07 AM
Use Firefox or Opera or Google Toolbar

JCF Member

aokmaniac13 is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2005, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen
Use Firefox or Opera or Google Toolbar
Recently, the Yahoo toolbar has been providing pop-up protection for free, as well as Microsoft IE with service pack two installed, however they don't provide quite as much of a guarantee as professional pop-up blockers you can buy at the store.

Spybot kills bots and spyware, which has very little to do with pop-ups (doesn't mean it's not useful!! )

So yeah, I'd go with the google toolbar.

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
People, would you please stop telling me to install something I own? I do have Google Toolbar already!

Stealth Admin

Feb 12, 2005, 11:07 AM
And do you have the popup blocker enabled?

Anyway, like I said, it would be a great help if you posted details of the popups you are getting. Things like the message in the popup and what it looks like.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 13, 2005, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokmaniac13
Spybot kills bots and spyware, which has very little to do with pop-ups.
There are a lot of spyware programs around that randomly generate advertisement popups.