Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

The Unofficial Jazz 3 Patch

abraker

JCF Member

abraker is doing well so far

Nov 2, 2013, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGruff View Post
Hello!
I'm afraid I've left this project.
Unfortunately I simply no longer have the patience or time to deal with Unreal Engine 1 (Even though I quite like it in terms of technical stuff).
*Claps hands for announcing the project is dead instead of leaving us in the void* It is, however, sad that you won't be working on it anymore.

Quote:
I'm actually thinking about showing off some of my projects on this forum, since I learned quite a bit from working on this project, and my current projects share some similarities with Jazz 3 in one way or another, and also because my current project is about a female furry character with guns.
Go ahead, I'm curious about the games similar to Jazz 3.

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Nov 2, 2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
You do realise that those models were never actually made, right? The best references are the high-res in game artwork in JJ2, and some official artwork lying around. Image search usually finds the official artwork first.
Well, there are Jazz/other rabbits models and turtles, so he could export them. I won't use original models, if nothing else, for reason they simply sucks, but they're will be useful as reference to make new ones (thing with 2D shots is that... they're 2d and you have to have different shots, at least front/back and the sides).

Also I'd be more than happy to help on Unity3D Jazz.

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Nov 2, 2013, 11:23 PM
Please remove my Youtube links from my page, my channel is already dead.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Nov 3, 2013, 03:10 AM
Quote:
my current projects share some similarities with Jazz 3 in one way or another, and also because my current project is about a female furry character with guns.
Sounds like you are making a Lori Jackrabbit 3D instead

Please!

JCF Member

JazzGruff is an asset to this forumJazzGruff is an asset to this forum

Nov 3, 2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Sounds like you are making a Lori Jackrabbit 3D instead

Please!
Well....
http://i.imgur.com/inevcpC.png

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Nov 3, 2013, 02:30 PM
Her fur colour is slightly off, but it's a good thing she did something about her clothes.

JCF Member

BossJazz is doing well so far

Nov 3, 2013, 09:46 PM
Having trouble with 1.3

Windows 7 64-bit.

Normal Jazz 3 runs perfectly fine, as does Unreal.

Log: Log file open, 11/03/13 21:15:52
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1 (Build: 7601)
Init: Version: 400
Init: Compiled: Nov 17 1999 19:44:01
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory: F:\My Documents\Jazz Jackrabbit 3\System\
Init: Character set: Unicode
Log: Bound to Engine.dll
Log: Bound to Core.dll
Log: Bound to Window.dll
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Init: Computer:
Init: User:
Init: Memory total: Phys=4194303K Pagef=4194303K Virt=2097024K
Init: Working set: 32000 / 159000
Init: CPU Speed=3392.468939 MHz
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=8
Init: CPU Detected: PentiumPro-class processor (GenuineIntel)
Init: CPU Features: CMov FPU RDTSC PAE MMX KNI
Localization: No localization: Startup.IDDIALOG_WizardDialog.IDC_WizardDialog (int)
Log: Loading: Package Engine
Log: Loading: Package Core
Init: Unreal engine initialized
Log: Bound to WinDrv.dll
Init: Mouse info: 6 10 1
Log: Detected joysticks: 16 ()
Init: Client initialized
Log: Bound to Render.dll
Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
Init: Rendering initialized
Log: LoadMap: Entry
Log: Loading: Package Entry
Log: Loading: Package JazzyTextures
Log: Bound to Fire.dll
Log: Loading: Package Fire
Log: Loading: Package CalyGame
Log: Loading: Package JWindow
Log: Loading: Package JazzArt
Log: Loading: Package JazzSounds
Log: Loading: Package JazzObjectoids
Log: Loading: Package JazzEnemy
Log: Loading: Package JazzSpeech
Log: Loading: Package Jazzytextures2
Log: Loading: Package JazzFonts
Log: Loading: Package JazzDecoration
Log: Loading: Package JazzAnimated
Warning: Failed to load 'CalyGame': Can't find BoolProperty in file 'BoolProperty Engine.PlayerPawn.bNoclip'
Warning: Failed to load 'Entry': Can't find BoolProperty in file 'BoolProperty Engine.PlayerPawn.bNoclip'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find BoolProperty in file 'BoolProperty Engine.PlayerPawn.bNoclip'
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Failed to enter Entry: Can't find BoolProperty in file 'BoolProperty Engine.PlayerPawn.bNoclip'
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: UGameEngine::Init
Critical: InitEngine
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 11/03/13 21:15:58

JCF Member

Nov 4, 2013, 04:46 AM
Hmm, I think I forgot one or two packages in that case. I'll look into it as soon as I can, but honestly it would be far easier to just release it completely as a standalone package.
Though I'm not sure if that's a good idea on this forum, is it?

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Nov 4, 2013, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Hmm, I think I forgot one or two packages in that case. I'll look into it as soon as I can, but honestly it would be far easier to just release it completely as a standalone package.
Though I'm not sure if that's a good idea on this forum, is it?
It isn't. I wouldn't mind it personally, but considering past threads involving the online distribution of JJ games and piracy talk, I don't think releasing the package that way would be worth the walls of text it may produce on this forum.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Nov 4, 2013, 11:26 AM
/me puts admin hat on

There's a standing "no abandonware" policy here, and I think a complete package would fall under that. Best to stick to just posting patches here.

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Nov 5, 2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah but on jazzjackrabbit.net would be a good place to post that.

JCF Member

burnout92 is doing well so far

Nov 9, 2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Hello!

I'm afraid I've left this project.
Unfortunately I simply no longer have the patience or time to deal with Unreal Engine 1 (Even though I quite like it in terms of technical stuff).

Now, it is a possibility that I'd do something with Jazz on a different engine (Most probably Unity3D since that's what I work on now), but don't put your hopes up just yet - I'm working on a couple of other projects at the moment!

Now, I do feel kinda bad for saying that I quit, so I quickly archived up and uploaded everything I have at the moment. So here's the (almost) complete 1.3 update:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DPatch_1.3.zip

Note that some things are broken and/or not finished. I tweaked Jazz's model, but in the process I broke it, and thus the weapon models display upside down. There are also some incomplete features, such as crouching (You can crouch, but moving around will make jazz slide, instead. Looks funny). Also, if the patch doesn't work, just contact me, and I'll see what I can do to fix that. It's possible, because I didn't test it yet.

I'm actually thinking about showing off some of my projects on this forum, since I learned quite a bit from working on this project, and my current projects share some similarities with Jazz 3 in one way or another, and also because my current project is about a female furry character with guns.

Anyway, hope you like the final release!
Why did you left the project? I think it was a good thing that at least someone started the project... I am, if you wanted to could continue this project because I wanted a Jazz Jackrabbit 3, but unfortunately did not released the game ... and you can you left off it all ... Congratulations for your work so far and I hope to someday be Jazz Jackrabbit 3D PC or elsewhere. Besides the Lori Jackrabbit 3D yes it sounds like a good idea.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Nov 9, 2013, 07:41 AM
He left because what was finished of JJ3D used the first version of the Unreal Engine, which is horrible to use, since -- unlike later versions of UE -- basically everything is harder to do.

JCF Member

Nov 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
Actually the real reason why I'm leaving this project is because I no longer have the time for all this. Yes, partially because of UE1, but actually UE1 has got to be my most favourite of all of them, to be honest. Why? UE1 is really friggin' fast, pretty much any game made with it works on modern hardware and operating systems without much problems, and it doesn't have all that much useless crap that you have to deal with when working with it. But... really the biggest issue for me was the editor. I like the interface and everything, but it's incredibly unstable. Also.... importing meshes with animation - no thanks, setting all that up is just a nightmare.

Anyway, here's the fixed version of 1.3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Patch_1.3b.zip

It may still not work, but I figured it lacked a *.u package file, since 'BoolProperty Engine.PlayerPawn.bNoclip' is a part of Engine.u, which I didn't include in the new release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout92 View Post
Besides the Lori Jackrabbit 3D yes it sounds like a good idea.
Sorry to put your hopes up, but my new project has nothing to do with Lori =(
Though, like I said, there are some small things that I've taken from working on JJ3 (Mostly technical things, but also some gameplay related stuff as well).

P.S.
I'd still like to make something JJ related in the future, but it sure won't happen on UE, though.

JCF Member

Nov 11, 2013, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Actually the real reason why I'm leaving this project is because I no longer have the time for all this. Yes, partially because of UE1, but actually UE1 has got to be my most favourite of all of them, to be honest. Why? UE1 is really friggin' fast, pretty much any game made with it works on modern hardware and operating systems without much problems, and it doesn't have all that much useless crap that you have to deal with when working with it. But... really the biggest issue for me was the editor. I like the interface and everything, but it's incredibly unstable. Also.... importing meshes with animation - no thanks, setting all that up is just a nightmare.

Anyway, here's the fixed version of 1.3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Patch_1.3b.zip

It may still not work, but I figured it lacked a *.u package file, since 'BoolProperty Engine.PlayerPawn.bNoclip' is a part of Engine.u, which I didn't include in the new release.
I understand you. But you said that unstable UE1 engine? In my humble opinion, it is not. I know that you upset because the engine, but did not instantly discontinued, but must try. No matter if in 2015 you'll be done with it, I'm a patient man and I can wait. I think have done a great job and I hope you will also. Of course with this sentence I want to encourage to continue this project. Let's look at it is that when the game was abandoned in 2000, it is was did not Unity3d and various engines, from which today's games developing. Increase the (hardware) demand, and the more nicer and nicer want these games for developers. This is why such system requirements for these games. I do not take it personally. Okay?

Quote:
Sorry to put your hopes up, but my new project has nothing to do with Lori =(
Though, like I said, there are some small things that I've taken from working on JJ3 (Mostly technical things, but also some gameplay related stuff as well).

P.S.
I'd still like to make something JJ related in the future, but it sure won't happen on UE, though.
Well, Lori ... She would have imagined in 3D. Would you are your ideas, and perhaps it is time to ... I think you should think about this thing ... Good?

JCF Member

Nov 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
He talked about unstable editor not engine.

JCF Member

Nov 12, 2013, 03:38 AM
Yes, the engine itself is great.

JCF Member

Nov 14, 2013, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
He talked about unstable editor not engine.
Yes the editor is bad but can be repaired I think.

JCF Member

Nov 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
No, it can't.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2013, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout92 View Post
Yes the editor is bad but can be repaired I think.
"Repaired" implies that you want to somehow fix the editor so it isn't as bad -- this is possible, but very hard to do and would probably require months of work, and there are probably things that you'd run into along the way that would make it even harder to do.
Basically, JazzGruff is right.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2013, 05:21 AM
The old editor was made using Visual Basic 5 or smth. I'm pretty sure that's a bad sign already.

There is a way to port everything over to a newer version of Unreal 1. That way it would allow everyone to use Unreal Editor 2, which is far more stable.
I did try this, actually. Got as far as importing all the models, textures and even maps. But I think I ended up needing to recode a bunch of stuff and adapt existing actors (Or objects) to the default Unreal engine, because Jazz3 actually uses modified dll files.

Here's a screenshot I posted here a while ago:
Quote:
(Click to enlarge)

If anyone is interested to try it - go for it!
BossJazz

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2013, 04:06 PM
Fixed version didn't work.

JCF Member

Nov 16, 2013, 01:39 AM
Quote:
The old editor was made using Visual Basic 5 or smth. I'm pretty sure that's a bad sign already.
Ah, that makes sense. XD I do remember hearing something like that a very long time ago but never really thinking about it.
Quote:
There is a way to port everything over to a newer version of Unreal 1. That way it would allow everyone to use Unreal Editor 2, which is far more stable.
Ah, I definitely heard about someone trying to do this in the past(It was some kind of "Jazz 3 Revived" project that was trying to finish the existing JJ3D - like you were doing), except that they had the end goal of having it run in Unreal Engine 3.

Also, just for the sake of clarity, the engine runs just as well(Or perhaps better) in this later version as it did in the earlier version, right?

JCF Member

Nov 16, 2013, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Also, just for the sake of clarity, the engine runs just as well(Or perhaps better) in this later version as it did in the earlier version, right?
Yeah, pretty much. The 227 version of UE1 is a bit more stable and fixed up, as far as I know, but it also has a few new features, like a proper particle system, skeletal animation support, and a bunch of other things, like object scaling in all three axes.

JCF Member

juanpablo123 should make better posts

Nov 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
HELP

hello guys...

alright i've ran into a problem on this patch:

i used the original latest release, but it didn't work...
i'll show you the error in the screenshot i'll put here... (it is about the fixed version)
then i downloaded the fixed patch but still the same...
here's the screenshot:
http://img.webme.com/pic/n/netdisast...ite/dibujo.png
thx...

oh and does this work for demo?

Last edited by juanpablo123; Nov 17, 2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: oh sh-- i almost forgot...

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2013, 02:35 AM
Wow, your desktop has a lot of icons...
Maybe it's just the fact that I'm used to only having two desktop icons(Recycle Bin and TARDIS, which is where I store all my shortcuts), but that many desktop icons just seems wrong.
On a more on-topic note, perhaps you're missing a DLL? Or maybe another Unreal game is messing with your JJ3?

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2013, 04:42 AM
That's odd. All I did was add in the Engine.u file, which contains the noclip variable. I'll try to just find the original JJ3 and fix the patch myself sometime soon.

EDIT:
Ok, it seems I made a mistake. Instead of Engine.u file, I added Editor.u, which, as far as I know, I haven't really touched, so it's pointless.

EDIT:
Ok, it seems I've finally fixed it. Looking back at this gives me good memories, though.
There are some noticable problems with this release, but I hope You can enjoy it just as much as I enjoyed working on this (Except for those frustrating parts), if not more!

Here's the new download link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Patch_1.3c.zip

Last edited by JazzGruff; Nov 18, 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Final Fixed (And tested) release

JCF Member

juanpablo123 should make better posts

Nov 18, 2013, 10:51 AM
Quote:
alright thx it worked
but it runs so slow (only if i play in fullscreen mode or the game's window resolution is big)

Last edited by juanpablo123; Dec 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
BossJazz

JCF Member

Nov 21, 2013, 11:20 PM
It works finally!

As thanks, here is a fixed logo:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ccki9hk1o352nla/Logo.bmp

JCF Member

Nov 22, 2013, 05:39 AM
Thanks! Though I can't see the image for some reason. I'd actually suggest using http://imgur.com/ for image uploading!

JCF Member

BadaboomAri is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2013, 10:59 AM
Adios from this project JazzGruff, all the work you did till now was great! Well my dream of getting a "real' JJ3 hasn't been granted but still. I just expect if somebody else would come up with a similar project.

JCF Member

Louis K is doing well so far

Jun 9, 2014, 12:07 PM
Exclamation Okay.. so I found big problems I thought..

I downloaded newest JJ3 Patch recently,
but I found big problems of this..

1. mystery square

(I wonder if you can see it..)

What is that bright square bottom of the Jazz?
just my guess, that is caused by mistake of rendering or just visual problem.

That is not big problem. maybe it would be solved very easily by admins.(or.. as someone's says.. we can 'Deal with it')

but now.. big problems..

2. Jazz seems crazy

Well.. beh.. I don't know how to explain this.. this is still make me panicking.

First of all, why Jazz is squinter?
to admin, are you sure is this your best choice?.. don't you have any much better ideas? Really?..

And.. wha.. why is he hold his gun like that?(I Think, LFG-2000 isn't melee weapon like a crossbar or baseball bat!)
At least, he was grab it properly in previous version!
Just my think, he seems will doing like this, with that gun!..

NoNoNo!Don't do that Jazz!

(sorry)
oh,

Shooting? JUST AWESOME.

Wow.. he can shoot it without holding the grip.(.. or.. actually, trigger is on the buttons of body? If so, I really didn't know that!.. wow! then why grips are exist on there?)

aaaaand.. that seems like grabbing controller or hand cannon. or.. I really don't know how he is grabbing it.(well.. I think that he don't have to do like that. because 'that gun' is just such as handgun or SMG, not artillery weapon or controller.)

For him, here is very good image and video that how to grab the gun properly.

3. TOO DARK

Game itself is really dark.. even I set the bright to 100%(Sadly, there is no changing. and also, I don't think that it just my problem.)but still.. dark..(Look at the title.. background is sunset.. perfectly dark )
Concept to darkness is good choice. at least, that is not distracting rather than bright one.

But my opinion, this is too dark and so it's hard to play properly.

4. How to pass 'The canyon'this damn stage without damage?

As we know, this stage is the passage of between Castle and village.
but.. there is too hard to pass it!.. each land is too far to leaping!..(or jump is too short to pass it!..)
I tried more than 40 times, however.. more than half of health was gone after pass there..

I wonder that is it really possible to pass there without damage!.. (nobody test it?..)

Yeah.. several times.

There is much more problems still not solved(such as.. save files never be loaded, Irregular game speed, sometimes music is muted automatically.....) but I just ignore it and be wait until it solved..

Finally, my opinion of JJ3 is this↓

P.S.

Seriously, is there any resolution about it?
I just hope that admins will solve this problems.. 'someday'..

Or if you won't, then I'll kill you with this COOL weapon.
Maniaxe

JCF Member

Maniaxe is doing well so far

Jun 10, 2014, 11:37 AM
Is there a link to Jazz Jackrabbit 3 itself?

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2014, 11:50 AM
No(It's against the forum rules), but JJ3 isn't that hard to find anyway.

JCF Member

Louis K is doing well so far

Jun 10, 2014, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniaxe View Post
Is there a link to Jazz Jackrabbit 3 itself?
almost links in this thread are just related update&patches.

as Robo said, you can find JJ3 files easily in web.

Or if you won't, then I'll kill you with this COOL weapon.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Nov 30, 2014, 04:28 AM
*sigh* So will there be any other patches for the game? I hope somebody will finish it...

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Nov 30, 2014, 02:36 PM
Can UE1 files be converted into UDK ones/can UDK load UE1 resources? Because if it can, we could just load models, levels and textures to UDK (don't see a reason to use UE4 for such niche project plus UDK is free), then use kismet/unreal script to recode what is there and finish it completely.

If it could be done without meticulously converting every model/texture/level one by one, I could help as a level designer as I'm pretty good with UDK's map editor.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Dec 1, 2014, 05:09 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if fans would create a complete version of JJ3? Like new maps, possible new enemies, weapons, etc. It would be sooooo great XD

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
Old Dec 1, 2014, 05:10 AM
Primpy
This message has been deleted by Primpy. Reason: Duped it.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Dec 1, 2014, 10:17 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if the economy was better? Wouldn't it be awesome if JJ2 wasn't stagnant? Yeah, but how do you make it happen? Simple, external motivation is like pulling teeth, if no one has the power in the first place.

There's a lack of interest in JJ3, because that game is not how it got a fanbase (along with it being unfinished, unpolished and all). The franchise got attention because it was a versatile 2D shooter. Also, it uses incredibly outdated software, making modernising more tedious.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Dec 1, 2014, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Wouldn't it be awesome if fans would create a complete version of JJ3?
No, it was an ill conceived effort from the beginning.