Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

LMAT: Beyonduary: Phases Begone

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 14, 2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven aka StL View Post
LMATs aren't about one person making a post about a half-finished tileset that slightly fits the theme and then finishing that. It's about constructing a tileset from the ground up with various people contributing.

I'm sick of some people attempting to hijack the project by different methods. If you're not going to respect and accept other contributors, then get the hell out of this thread.
This tileset is currently progressing fine, and the problems earlier seem to be sorted out. Please do not make any more posts like this unless it's for a good reason; this thread has enough drama in it already. It would be best if it were left to the people who are contributing to decide what LMAT is and is not about.

I don't want to get involved too deeply in this matter, since everyone is doing a good job right now and I think excessive moderation might have a damaging effect. I am going to be keeping a close eye on this thread from now on, but as long as future posts consist of contributions or constructive comments (rather than complaints, personal attacks, outright rejections, etc), I don't think there should be any problems.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thank you, Mike.

By the way, if someone who wants changes to the star pattern could make those changes, or at least illustrate what kind of changes those would be, that would be great, because I'm not exactly sure what you want darker just through words. More incidental tile drawing from people would be great too. (And even if you don't have PSP/PS and can't figure out how to use Gimp, please don't let that hold you back from drawing tiles by hand. LMAT has definitely incorporated both in the past, and I at least feel a little bit dirty using various filters and things to get me the effects I want.)

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Jun 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
needs a few spaceships

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jun 14, 2010, 07:34 PM
This is what came to mind for me when I though Jazz space temple tileset:

It should probably would have to be shrunk more if it gets used. Also, I have no understanding of shading, so this should probably be treated more as concept art than as something that belongs in the actual tileset.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Jun 15, 2010, 12:30 AM
I don't know if anyone saw it, but I sketched some lamps in the concept thread (unoriginal, I know).

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jun 16, 2010, 07:07 AM
I love the idea of Devan as an ancient god, but I think it would look better as a stone statue.

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Jun 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
yeah, or a hologram.....
Maybe destruc scenery possibilities?

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:00 AM
DodgeS
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: If you're not going to contribute, well, then what are you doing in this thread?

JCF Member

DodgeS is a sad, sad person

Jun 19, 2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn
If you're not going to contribute, well, then what are you doing in this thread?
And You? If you're not going to contribute, well, then what are you doing in this thread?

----

I just wanted to encourage the others to draw

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 19, 2010, 11:55 AM
I haven't replied for over a week. I am merely doing my duty as an administrator. If all you can do is laugh and point at this thread and say "told you so!", you'd do better not to reply at all.

Also, I'm not feeling particularly divine, so "you" without a capital Y will suffice.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:00 PM
Jgke
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: That'll do, thank you.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Well, I don't know what was in the deleted post, but anyway yeah, I didn't contribute quite a while. I'm a little busy with about 6 other tilesets and 4 levels at the moment, but I'll find some time to draw more things (like the NovaStar's lamps). Also, I tried to fix Violet's tiles, but it was quite a hard job, and I guess he'd do this better. I improved the door too, but didn't upload them, since they were too bad as for me.

Overally, everything's going on well. Even better than with Valentine's Day or whatever was it.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 19, 2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
I love the idea of Devan as an ancient god, but I think it would look better as a stone statue.
Is this along the lines of what you're thinking of?
Sorry its not actual tiles and the drawing is kinda crap, just knocked it out while browsing.

Last edited by n00b; Jun 19, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: i dont know my forum tags :-#
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jun 20, 2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah, it is, though I was thinking of something a little more subtle (but either way would work, I'd say).

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 23, 2010, 03:46 PM
I really like n00b's drawing actually, it fits the style of JJ2 and it's funny. The one troglobite posted is has a bit more of a graeco-roman feel to it which may be more suited to a "temple" theme, though.

Ultimately the version that goes in ought to be determined by who turns it into usable tiles, though.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 3, 2010, 01:32 AM
I guess Violet was right, the LMATs should be 2D indeed. This one is additionally hard to edit and that thing on the beginning didn't help much.

I apologize for killing this tileset.

I'm still interested in working on a tileset with such a theme, though. Not that I'd like to change the basic tiles again after all, but it's dead anyway. Maybe there are still some people which would like to take apart in making a 2D painty space elemental temple airport from scratch? I want to have fun making this sick thing with other people, so I hope you won't leave me alone.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Aug 4, 2010, 02:18 AM
I'd love to work on the set. But is it actually dead yet? It's only been a little over a month.

JCF Member

Aug 4, 2010, 02:40 AM
I'm not really sure as well, but I took a note that this whole page has no contributions. I tried to do something myself, but this thing, while I love its look, is damn hard to edit. I just didn't want to tell this too late, when really no one would like to work on it. But okay, if you say so, I'll wait for contributions yet a little longer, if something'll really appear, I'll start to (try to) help as well. Just letting you know I'd gladly start the thing from the beginning.

JCF Member

Aug 4, 2010, 11:33 PM
Maybe starting over again isn't such a bad idea. I'm still a bit confused about what tiles are being used, but I guess a few other people are too. Is anybody else interested in starting from scratch (again), or is it a bad idea?

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 4, 2010, 11:43 PM

JCF Member

Aug 5, 2010, 02:36 AM
Haha, yeah, more hard to edit tiles, why not? Isn't actually like half of them repeated or looking repeated enough to be unneeded? Great, I'll do what I can to help it look better.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Aug 5, 2010, 05:18 AM
Ok I'm going to go on holidays. I fiddled with GIMP a bit but didn't have time to contribute anything. Reading this thread and even some recent replies was galling enough, though. So, here is a small course on creativity, it might do some people some good.

The creative process could be said to exist in two fases: divergence and convergence, the results of which are a product.

Divergence: This fase is about creating new ideas, building on old ones, without casting any aside or disparaging them (as happens in the post above me). Instead of (nonconstructive) criticism, it is encouraged to produce alternatives. There isn't any selection process yet: you just throw idea after idea, without judgement. This is also how brainstorming works. Any idea/tile/style is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Divergent thinking typically occurs in a spontaneous, free-flowing manner, such that many ideas are generated in a random, unorganized fashion. Many possible solutions are explored in a short amount of time, and unexpected connections are drawn. Following divergent thinking, ideas and information are organized and structured using convergent thinking
This fase could be said to be the basis of most of LMAT: you don't kill tiles or hate on them, you just either improve them or, if you cannot, contribute new ones that are better. Keywords: fantasy, experimenting, process-oriented, not caring about prestation, pushing boundaries.

Convergence: this fase could be visualized by a funnel. You start selecting ideas. The ones that don't work are removed. You keep removing branches until you get to the tree. Keywords: results oriented, judgement, reality-based, choice

Right now, too many of you are busy with convergence. Don't do that. That's for when you have enough ideas to finish a tileset with and you need to put one together.

Starting by scratch isn't necessary. I've seen like 4 different styles of tiles, all that can be worked on. It's the divergent fase though, so if you want to add new tiles in a different style, don't request permission to do so, but just do it.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

Aug 5, 2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist View Post
without casting any aside or disparaging them (as happens in the post above me)
Oops, that's a typo of mine. I tried to say I'm pretty thankful that someone actually revived this LMAT and I'll gladly return to that thing, just as I told. Sorry for writing in a hard to understand and a little dull way.

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 6, 2010, 04:35 PM
Ementaler, if the colors are a concern due to your paint program, if you'd rather, I can redraw stuff to use a palette. I have little experience in automatic color reduction anyway and this is making me worried in advance.

JCF Member

Aug 6, 2010, 04:52 PM
If he's using MS paint, then I don't think a palette will help much.

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2010, 04:25 AM
I pretty much forgot I'm using this almighty tool. Why was I even complaining then?

Here's a quick work of mine:

Deleted tiles which looked repeated (I think they were, if they weren't they can obviously come back), helped a little that yellow-black thing, added a round windowlike tile, added ugly glassy floor (I don't have an idea how would it look in JJ2 and it needs an additional layer, so I can understand if it'll be deleted in the end), added a texture for wall tiles (it's quite sucky and almost invisible, maybe it should be changed as well), merged Violet's tiles with my squares, added two additional wall tiles which help to avoid tilebugs.

Sorry for not much new tiles and ideas, and not the highest quality of those, but I'm still a little busy (and lazy, too, and the weather sucks). I just wanted to contribute anything to show I really am interested in working on this LMAT.

Edit: Oh, right, those solid dark red tiles between glassy floor are going to contain glassy floor + transparent glassy tiles + cave squares as they all look in game, after it'll be checked. Hmm, I guess you have no idea what am I talking about, so just let them stay there (or somewhere else near the glassy floor).

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2010, 06:53 PM
It's looking pretty good, though in my opinion the black ground is a bit off. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Aug 9, 2010, 03:16 AM
Here's a pic of my upcoming SP pack.

I mean...
Edit: The tileset.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I hope that it's not the best possible color reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
It's looking pretty good, though in my opinion the black ground is a bit off.
I thought we overally started this tileset to make it a bit off.

Someone should draw those lamps, and Devan as a god, and door, and spaceships, and perhaps some more fish and a zebra.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I hope that it's not the best possible color reduction.
It is.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I thought we overally started this tileset to make it a bit off.
What do you mean?

JCF Member

Aug 10, 2010, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
What do you mean?
It's an elemental space temple airport. It's impossible to make it without merging a lot of different styles, which don't fit each other and make no sense at all.

JCF Member

Aug 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
I guess I'd better be a bit more specific, sorry. I know the set's going to look slightly (or more than slightly) unrealistic. I'm fine with that. My only issue with the black ground is that it looks more like background scenery of some kind. Like in Jake's screenshot up there where it's used alongside the bricks. I just thought that maybe something in a slightly lighter shade could be used. If I'm annoying you, then sorry, I'll stop complaining and draw something instead.

JCF Member

Aug 11, 2010, 01:08 AM
I thought they're looking okay, but of course your opinion is important as well. I think you should try to draw something instead of them then. A decision between two already existing kinds of ground will be much easier.

JCF Member

Aug 11, 2010, 06:43 AM
Am I making progress to this set?

Edit: whoops, deleted some tiles, reupload soon
Edit2: Done

Last edited by Jgke; Aug 11, 2010 at 06:54 AM.

JCF Member

Aug 11, 2010, 08:08 PM
@Jake: That's kinda what I had in mind.
@Sir E: I was a tad nervous about drawing another ground type, in case it turned out like a DodgeS style argument.
Anyway, hopefully my next post will have something more useful to contribute. Like some tiles. =]

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2010, 05:45 AM

Rather simple lamps. I don't have tools to check how they look animated, so I'll be thankful if someone could check if it's not crap.

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2010, 06:39 AM

Am I doing it right?

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Aug 12, 2010, 08:09 AM
I can't paint but i would love to see that lamp had 1 rotating things instead of one (for the symmetric) if you get what i mean.

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2010, 08:24 AM
One instead of one. I think you mean two? :P

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2010, 10:33 AM
I herd you liek lamps