Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Springcord!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 9, 2007, 09:27 PM
Springcord!

I have found what may be the springcord, but it's sure not a boxing glove...

That's a screenshot from 1.00g. It doesn't work in 1.10 or higher, probably works in 1.00h, though I don't have that version for testing. To view it yourself, place byte 224/E0 at address 520148/7EFD4 in TRAINER.LEV and it'll be a bit to the right of the starting position. Or you could place it elsewhere in some oher level, of course, that's just arbitrary. The next three bytes represent its parameters if you want to try to fool with those. Enjoy!

(Pyro suggests as an alternate location 934a0 in CASTLE1.LEV)

EDIT: Just as some initial information:
* The springcord is not solid and does not affect Jazz in any way.
* If only one springcord is present, the cord stretches from the event to the midpoint between the event and Player 1.
* If more than one springcord is present, the last bomb is in the midpoint position, but all cords share the same bend.
* Weapons can hit the springcord event, though not the cord itself.
* Ice causes the springcord to permanently disappear.
* TNT has no effect.
* Fireballs (Gun8) pass right through the event with no effect.
* Apparently springcord is a word in Dutch... it means bungee cord or jumprope or something.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Jan 9, 2007 at 09:49 PM.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jan 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
I have never heard the word 'springcord' used, but I think it would be 'springkoord' at any rate.

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2007, 05:05 AM
Springcord is not a Dutch word, but it should come close to "jumprope".

Anyway, the event looks really cool. Do the bombs explode and regenerate infinitely?

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
Probably, Arjan or Michiel couldn't remember the Dutch word at the time and just used 'springcord.'

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 10, 2007, 10:19 AM
Oh, no, forgot to mention that. It uses the bomb sprites, but probably unintentionally... they don't animate or do anything.
n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jan 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
...reminds me of the vines in Sonic3 that latched on to you and held you back...
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
So...it uses the bomb sprite. But what does it actually do?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
Could someone maybe get a video of this?
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jan 10, 2007, 06:12 PM
If someone does get a video, I request that the recorder goes through the entire level.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 10, 2007, 06:17 PM
...why? (@n00b) It's only visible when you're nearby, considering that it ends at the midpoint.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
Also, while this is a neat discovery, what exactly makes this the "springcord" aside from the translation of the event name providing a sort of hint?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 10, 2007, 07:58 PM
It's event 224, which was Springcord as recently as 1.10, the oldest available list of event names. It could be something else, but Springcord is my best guess, and the only name around...

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
It seems to act somewhat like a cord, at least, from what I gather. (I don't have 1.00g anymore, so I can't see it in action.)
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jan 11, 2007, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
...why? (@n00b) It's only visible when you're nearby, considering that it ends at the midpoint.
Because if there is something else going on in some part of the level, you may not have found the Spring cord.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
Ummm, okay, if you don't think the cord that comes out of the tile where the event is placed is what is actually created by the event, I guess it's certainly possible to go through the rest of the level... I'll try to record a video sometime, though if anyone else (who actually knows how to make them) would like to instead, I would have no objection.

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

Jan 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
WHOOHOO!!

The springcord has been unleashed!

Probably like a bridge, but bouncy!

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 12, 2007, 02:06 PM
Ok, clearly I have no idea how to properly use Youtube.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
That's not a springcord. That's just a regular cord cord.

I wonder what it was meant to be attached to.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jan 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
I have to agree with Radium here. It doesn't even fit the dutch definitions of a jump rope or bungee cord.

Perhaps what we found was a test on stretching out objects for the bridges.

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

Jan 13, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hmm... Perhaps.
But still, Why "spring"cord?
*starts thinking*

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
Pyromanus' first guess was that it was something like the cord connecting players in Knuckles' Chaotix/Sonic Crackers, though that certainly doesn't happen in multiplayer. As it is, I can only presume there is some reason the cord heads towards the spot halfway between you and the event, though I don't know what it could be.

(As far as I can tell, there isn't really any similarity between this and the bridge event.. bridges tend to snap to new configurations rather instantly, while this is a much smoother process.)

JCF Member

Jan 14, 2007, 01:19 AM
Quote:
As it is, I can only presume there is some reason the cord heads towards the spot halfway between you and the event, though I don't know what it could be.
Here's the most boring answer and probably the most probable: the reason this behaves strangely is the event was never properly or fully coded into the game. Same reason it's not in the final version of the game.

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Jan 14, 2007, 08:33 AM
In the vid the springcord seems to connect on layer 3 and 4...

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 11, 2007, 12:52 AM
Or layer 4 with layer 1 or 2 ;p

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Jun 12, 2007, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Probably, Arjan or Michiel couldn't remember the Dutch word at the time and just used 'springcord.'
A dutch guy didn't know the dutch word for something? I know springcord is german for jumprope though. Considering it's elastic, maybe they were aiming for a name like bungee cord.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Jun 12, 2007, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubble Dutch View Post
A dutch guy didn't know the dutch word for something?
I forget Dutch words all the time, but remember the English word. I'd imagine Arjan would be likely to have the same problem, working with English people all the time.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 13, 2007, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I have the same problem. It's actually rather common.

JCF Member

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Jun 14, 2007, 02:14 AM
Wow, you learn something every day.

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")

JCF Member

Valco is notorious for his worthless posts

Jun 16, 2007, 05:22 AM
What a wierd event!

Maybe it was intended to be a spikeball of sorts?

The ultimate race experience
Coming soon to Jazz2Online

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 17, 2007, 01:18 AM
Nah, it was supposed to be a sort of jumping rope, but it always remained unfinished and was removed in versions higher than 1.10, Epic just forgot to remove it from the JCS event list.

JCF Member

Jun 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
Or... they left it there on purpose, so that we would find out about this and there may be something more interesting behind all this ;p

BTW I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to show bomb sprites. Maybe an ambient sound event can make it load different sprites (probably only if it's possible to get this event out of an MCE)?? If there is a way to view the correct sprite it may give us a clue on what the Springcord was meant to do.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
It is very probable that yes, the event is displaying the wrong sprite because it has not loaded the correct one. It shows the same signs as any MCE event. Except, instead of using Jazz or menu sprites like most events, it goes with the bomb. I'm not really sure why, but so far as I can tell, the bomb IS one of those sprites that is loaded in every level, rather than having its loading triggered by a specific event being included. (For the record, the bomb dropped by the float lizard appears to be a separate sprite.)
I don't know if either MCE's or the Ambient Sound effect work in 1.00g, though I am almost positive that the former does, given that MCE's and the Generator event are pretty much completely identical processes, and there ARE generating enemies in 1.00g. Unfortunately, I'm not sure enough about how to edit the parameters of events in 1.00g to try placing ambient sounds into a level in hopes that something will get the springcord to look different. I may try to figure it out later, but someone else is welcome to look into it first.

(On an unrelated note, I continue not to believe that the boxing-glove-on-a-spring is the springcord. Its internal sprite name, so far as I can tell, is Glove. Or Glove-something, anyway.)

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
It is very probable that yes, the event is displaying the wrong sprite because it has not loaded the correct one. It shows the same signs as any MCE event. Except, instead of using Jazz or menu sprites like most events, it goes with the bomb. I'm not really sure why, but so far as I can tell, the bomb IS one of those sprites that is loaded in every level, rather than having its loading triggered by a specific event being included. (For the record, the bomb dropped by the float lizard appears to be a separate sprite.)
I don't know if either MCE's or the Ambient Sound effect work in 1.00g, though I am almost positive that the former does, given that MCE's and the Generator event are pretty much completely identical processes, and there ARE generating enemies in 1.00g. Unfortunately, I'm not sure enough about how to edit the parameters of events in 1.00g to try placing ambient sounds into a level in hopes that something will get the springcord to look different. I may try to figure it out later, but someone else is welcome to look into it first.

(On an unrelated note, I continue not to believe that the boxing-glove-on-a-spring is the springcord. Its internal sprite name, so far as I can tell, is Glove. Or Glove-something, anyway.)
MCE? I think that would work. Or we could just open up the betas j2a and look fot the sprite that would fit the springcord the best. (Besides the boxing glove.) If you look at the animations the glove doesn't stretch far enough.)