Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Signed CD Giveaway

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 3, 2018, 01:15 AM
Signed CD Giveaway

This giveaway is now over, but if you got here late, you're welcome to post your own favorite memories of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 just to share in the fun! <3

Original post:

As part of Jazz Jackrabbit 2: Birthday Hullabaloo, our old friends at Epic Games have organized another free giveaway! This time around, four five lucky winners will receive free original CDs of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in jewel cases signed by Arjan Brussee. An additional ten winners will receive free GOG.com download codes for the Jazz Jackrabbit 1 collection, the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 collection, and Epic Pinball.

There are two ways to enter, and if you do both you will be twice as likely to win something, though you will not be able to win twice:
  1. Write a reply in this thread with your favorite memory of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 or its community!
  2. Create something inspired by Jazz Jackrabbit 2 or its community, and link to it in this thread. This can be in whatever creative medium you choose... a story, a poem, a drawing, a sculpture, a level, a tileset, whatever!
The deadline for submission is Monday, May 14th, 2018.

Posting multiple memories or multiple creative works is allowed (and welcome!) but will not affect your number of entries. Thirty memories and zero works are a single entry; one memory and one drawing are two entries.
Winners of the signed CD cases will have to submit their mailing addresses to a contact at Epic Games in order to be mailed the cases.
Winners of the game codes must have free accounts on GOG.com in order to redeem their prizes. You are also allowed to give your code to a friend instead of using it yourself.
All winners will be chosen at random by assembling a list of all qualified entrants, shuffling it, and taking the first fourteen fifteen unique names.
Entrants are allowed from any country.

Last edited by Violet CLM; May 14, 2018 at 10:59 PM.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

May 7, 2018, 04:09 AM
My favourite memory of the community is working on the LMATs Beyonduary and 2011. Neither set quite got to the finish line (yet?) but I definitely enjoyed working on them and the collaboration was fun.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

May 7, 2018, 04:25 AM
My favorite memory of the community is a more recent one, December 2017 to be more precise. Jazz Jackrabbit had just gotten re-released on GOG.com and the community as a whole was more alive than ever. The most important part of the month though was working on Holiday Hare '17. It's the first time I made a complete Single Player level for Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and the first time I participated in a community project. Despite being on a tight schedule, I managed to finish in level just in time, not without the help of the other members of the community (special shoutouts to PurpleJazz for helping me directly with the level ). To you, the reader, that might not sound like an out of ordinary experience, but for me, it's the first time I truly felt included in this community 4 years after joining (especially after the first year of being a mild annoyance towards everyone) and working & discussing this project with the other members of the community was a lot of fun. So thanks to everyone (even to luke11685) for being part of this community <3 <3 <3
I'm pretty sure I mentioned the word "community" waaaay too much. Welp.

Drawing of Jazz holding a cake. Since the deadline is, at the time this was posted, tomorrow, I don't think I have enough time to turn it into digital art
Waddya doing?

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

Last edited by Primpy; May 12, 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Lemorack

JCF Member

Lemorack has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:08 AM
An extremely simple one, but as a kid I would hum tunes from the game at school all day (Yes even during class). The game's soundtrack is what stuck with me the most ever since, and when youtube became a thing I would play extended versions of the tracks on repeat while drawing. My favs are the themes from the laboratory level, medieval jam, dark groove, Jazz be damned, and of course the end credits theme.
negzero

JCF Member

negzero has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:15 AM
Thumbs up Favorite Memory.

My favorite memory was stumbling on Jazz Jackrabbit while learning how BBS's work. It was one of the first games I downloaded (and then purchased, as I believe it was based on the Shareware model of the time). Really was a fun game and opened doors to the online communities that existed to me.
SkillZilla

JCF Member

SkillZilla has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:19 AM
I remember when playing JJ1 with my brother, along with other great games. Every summer we would sit down and play JJ1 and games like DOOM, Blood, Descent, Warcraft 2 and other classics. Never really finished all the episodes as we would start again from the beginning every summer, cool times I still refer to JJ1 as one of the best side-scroller games ever made on PC, I did not love JJ2 that much as it was very tiny compared to JJ1 ( too nice resolution for me ).
Cyprus

JCF Member

Cyprus has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:31 AM
My favorite memory would have to be the first time trying it and figuring out how it all works.
https://i.imgur.com/I2AAocj.png

JCF Member

blkxltng has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:33 AM
I used to play JJ2 a lot with my sister back in the day. My favorite moments involved when we would finally beat a boss after several tries. It was so satisfying. And because my sis was so young at the time, it would feel awesome when she pulled a clutch move .
brandsmanator

JCF Member

brandsmanator has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:51 AM
As a kid born in the 90's Jazz Jackrabbit was one of the first games i ever played. When the sun went down and there was nothing to do with my day anymore i would always fire up the game, sometimes even for the soundtrack alone. My favorite memories as a kid were always music related. And Jazz Jackrabbit fired itself in my memories because there wasn't a single game which had such an amazing soundtrack. Combining it with the multiple themes like castles, the beach, and the christmas theme i felt like i had a whole world to explore.

It was the first thing in my life which gave me inspiration to explore, listen, appreciate, and ultimately conquer the enemies. Jazz Jackrabbit was not a simple game for me. It was a complete world which i will never forget.
njoenka

JCF Member

njoenka has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 07:54 AM
After playing the first Jazz Jackrabbit on my pops DOS computer for years on end, I knew I had to get Jazz Jackrabbit 2 the very moment it was released. That's all there was to it - it was the only way. So as not to feel the horrible burden of being without new Jazz content, I had to get a copy immediately.

But how? After all, I was 10 years of age which basically meant n o m o n e y. I did somehow manage to get my hands on the Shareware version - not sure how, probably through my dad asking some of his colleagues - but I knew I had to get the real deal.

Up comes April 30. Queen's Day, when us Dutch folks go outside to celebrate the Queen's (or, more recently, King's) birthday or rather, adults celebrate their being allowed to drink outside and kids get caught up in the excitement. More importantly, however, Queen's Day is like a large scale yard sale. Everybody gathers together their old toys, records, and other junk to try make a bit of extra cash.

So there went my Thunderbirds' Tracy Island incl. the Thunderbirds themselves, there went my Biker Mice from Mars action figures and Scoreboard Hideout, there went my The Incredible Crash Dummies toy car, and a bunch of other toys I had outgrown.

And so a few weeks later, it was time to install Jazz Jackrabbit 2. The Main Menu greeted me with a familiar, updated, tune and before even starting the game itself I thought:

"yep, worth it"

JCF Member

Roobar is an asset to this forum

May 7, 2018, 08:33 AM
OK some of my favorite memories were back then, when I played the JJ2 shareware episode for the first time. For me, it was a blast! It was like a magic! I played the heck out of the demo and my favorite level was the diamondus one. The demo was SO GOOD and I was SO HYPED that I wanted more! But I wasn't been able to find it anywhere where I live. So I was desperate to find the whole game. Didn't found it at that time. But it was the time where I used a dial up connection to find more about JJ2 related things. The journal site and jazz city were some of those I remember and visited them for news.

There was a computer club where JJ2 was installed along other games. I think we even played a bit multiplayer. Later I found TSF and I played that. It was many years later, when I played the initial JJ2 and I was really surprised to find out that the first episode is actually castle and not diamondus!

I also have fond memories of making 3 maps back in the days with multiplayer in mind for two of them. One of these, a beach level, is unfortunately lost because it was only on one diskette that is now unrecoverable.

Good times indeed.

Last edited by Roobar; May 7, 2018 at 08:45 AM.
emonegarand

JCF Member

emonegarand has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 09:04 AM
I have fonder memories of the first Jazz game because of the colorful SVGA graphics, detailed sprites , great gameplay, and an memorable soundtrack but I do remember seeing Jazz 2 for the first time and how different the game was to the first. Funny how spastic the gameplay could get with the speed and the amount of springs in the level layouts, even a new character named Spazz was added, how appropriate. I've heard there is a lesser known Jazz 3 but dunno if that was official or not but it would have been cool if that 3D Jazz Jackrabbit game that was proposed at one point would have been made. if any character needs a modern revival it is Jazz Jackrabbit.
Kupopom

JCF Member

Kupopom has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 09:33 AM
Smile Memories of Jazz

Best memories of Jazz2 I have from when me and my little brother played the racing multiplayer on the same computer, raced against each other again and again. Outcomes of the games weren't that unequal, even though my brother is 4 years younger. Now, after about 15 years, it would be nice to take a rematch, dunno who would win this time.
P4R4D0X

JCF Member

P4R4D0X has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 09:35 AM
I still know the first time my friend showed me JJ1. It was actually on Easter and there's no way to forgot that. Unfortunately only with a PC speaker. Thought it was like that and I never knew that it actually had an amazing soundtrack, but later on I had some PC with a Sound Blaster clone and I was able to hear music for the first time. I was blown away and that made the game even better for me for me. But I still remember the sound effects beeps. Those cannot be forgotten.

Happy 20th Anniversary! And please make another Jazz Jackrabbit!
Coche

JCF Member

Coche has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 10:33 AM
My best memory was me and my cousin playing along together co-op on JJ2, we'd play a lot of other games together too we were always like brothers. But for JJ2 I was Spaz and he played as Jazz. The day I remember pretty vividly was us trying to speed run through levels as fast as possible together. Although on a unrelated note I will say the main menu song is forever stuck in my head too.
Happy 20th birthday JJ2!
Mewster

JCF Member

Mewster has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 11:20 AM
My best memories are the custom levels (when I was a child I couldn't tell them apart from the names since I didn't understand them, so when I was searching for a specific level I had to browse them all) and the music (I'm still listening to them nowadays!).

Thanks for all the played hours!
Lillinettix

JCF Member

Lillinettix has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 12:07 PM
I played Jazz Jackrabbit 2 with my sister A LOT when I was little. I'm the little sister so, of course, I was always Spaz, but I absolutely loved him at the time haha. My fondest memory from the game is probably from the level with the witch, where she turns you into a frog. Whenever we got hexed and went to the girl bunny, we would quickly turn around so the frog's behind got kissed. Me and my sister, being 5 and 7 or so, found it incredibly funny at the time :')
But I also loved the level with the giant carrots, where you could get a parrot. I loved that parrot.

And a little extra something: https://imgur.com/a/VOxwODv

Last edited by Lillinettix; May 11, 2018 at 08:31 AM.
burekdober

JCF Member

burekdober has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 01:35 PM
Oh gosh, back when we were children we only had one computer in my house and one at our neighbour's, my cousin always used to come play Jack Jazz Rabbit or Heroes 3 with my brother while my sister and I watched. At that time we rarely got a chance to play anything since our brother was always on the computer (sucked being the younger sibling at the time, haha) so we often went to our neighbour to play games. With our basic grasp on english we managed to install the game and run it and we actively played it for at least an hour a day, maybe more. If I remember correctly we never actually beat the final boss, our brother just did it for us.

I loved the opening cinematic to bits, I thought it was so well animated at the time, haha. I loved the sound effects when selecting anything from the menu and the little pixelated pics at the difficulty setting (baby Spaz, 'nough said), to sum it up, my favourite memory of this game is just the game existing and us being able to enjoy ourselves as kids.

Art submission:
https://burekdober.deviantart.com/ar...=1&ga_recent=1

Last edited by burekdober; May 9, 2018 at 03:48 AM.
Dinkleberg

JCF Member

Dinkleberg has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 01:38 PM
JJ2 was my first "real" game that I played on my sister's PC. (good old memories ^^) Unfortunately the game has disappeared in the course of time and I have unfortunately not found it again.
The nostalgia I get from the intro and the soundtrack is simply irreplaceable.
LOTIC506

JCF Member

LOTIC506 has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 02:13 PM
Nostalgia

I was born in the 90's I don't know how JJ2 arrived at my PC but it stuck like a tattoo on my skin and memories. The music, the scenery, the colors, the action, the fun, the characters I remember everything like it was yesterday sharing the keyboard with my big brother, he always picked Jazz and I was always Spaz. He always took all the coins so he could be able to enter those rooms with the good stuff but I never cared I was happy with the feeling of achievement that we could atleast see what was on the other side. We always fought to see which one of us could shoot the birdcage first. I could talk forever about each one of the memories JJ2 gave me and later when my little brother was born we got into the multiplayer maps and it was tons of fun. JJ2 was a HUGE part of my childhood and no matter how old the game gets it's going to be always on my mind until I die.
Szkodnix

JCF Member

Szkodnix has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 03:09 PM
My memory

I remember JJ2 as my first game I wanted to play a bit more seriously. I even joined one clan when I was 12-14 It wasn't as serious as it it supposed to be but still I found a few nice people I am still chatting with from time to time (!!).
This game never gets old. I am looking forward to play some more games with all both old and new JJ2 community

JCF Member

G@vie is doing well so far

May 7, 2018, 03:13 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 probably came out in the worst time possible, when the 3D craze of PC gaming was at its peak. But the art, the cinematics, gameplay and multiplayer features were so damn perfect, that enough people gave it a proper chance. This game introduced me (and many others) to splitscreen online gaming, it opened a new world where you could play your favorite game, and actually make some friends (and improve English) along the way. I remember so well how exciting it was to create your own levels and tilesets, and share them with the world. It was a new way to share your creativity and level design. Extremely addictive. Also, this was one of the first games that had clans. I co-started UJP, which at its peak was pretty big, but probably wasn't as serious as it should have been. It didn't matter, we had so much fun, and the community was just great!
And while the game's story was simple, the characters, the world and the community were interesting enough to spawn fanfiction, fanart, and more. I absolutely loved it. So many hours spent, so many positive memories!

Happy 20th anniversary! And even after 20 years, I'm still hoping for a sequel, so that both old and new generations can enjoy some updated rabbits with guns! Now that 80's and 90's retro and indie gaming are all the hype, this seems like the perfect time. The GOG re-release is really cool, but as expected, some of Jazz's green hairs have turned grey after 20 years.
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

May 7, 2018, 03:43 PM
I have been part of this community for 13 years now, going on 14, so basically two thirds of my life. As cliche as it may sound, I can honestly not imagine my life without this game in it. In reality, just like in the game, people have come and gone and for the better part of my life, I was quite an outcast, so having Jazz Jackrabbit 2 installed and talking to the amazing people here was a huge help to better understand myself, my needs and my faults.

At the end of tiring and lonely school days, hearing the familiar tunes of the game, seeing the neverending creative juices flowing and talking to people whom I eventually considered friends were some of the few things which truly made me feel accepted and liked for who I was. I met some amazing people here with whom I eventually became close friends even in real life and, even if we're not friends anymore, they have also helped shape me into who I am today. It's something I will cherish forever.

As for my favourite memory, it has to be somewhere around Bash 10. I was so into it that I was having dinner in front of the computer, the server was nearly full and everyone was exceptionally talkative, the vibe was unlike anything I had experienced before. I stood up until late in the night talking about everything, it was really new to me to be so involved in a conversation and even now I can say that that was one of the most important nights of my life. Without Jazz, I'm almost sure I would have missed out on one of the most incredible and welcoming communities out there.

Heartfelt congratulations and gratitude to everyone who keeps the story going.
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

May 7, 2018, 04:50 PM
I remember making junky Jazz 1 level conversions to Jazz 2 using tileset conversions. So many days spent with a J1E and JCS open, copying the levels over tile-by-tile, finding equivalent (or close) enemies in Jazz 2 for the ones in Jazz 1. Sure, it was a terribly inefficient process. Sure, it wasn't Jazz 1 per se. Sure, they weren't even that great. But this was in a time when it was obscenely hard to legally acquire Jazz 1 and it was a creative outlet I could really get into. I felt I was doing my duty for the community.

There's no point to playing my conversions anymore. We have the real thing now, and it's so much better. But it's a lot of work and happy memories for me and it's there if only for posterity's sake. A relic of a time finally gone now when we couldn't have nice things. I suppose that's worth a post.

AB20 was nice too. It was the first time I really left my levelmaking bubble and actually experienced the game with the community. And it was my first time back at Jazz for a few years so it was sort of like a homecoming for me. It reminded me how much I love this game, even after I've moved on to other things in recent years. I'm even working on a level or two again, just for the heck of it. It's just so amazing how resilient this community is, and I'm so proud to have been a part of it for ten years now (a mere half of some members here).

So that's two memories. Sue me. This game and site have so much more than one memory for me.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit
DaemonlordX

JCF Member

DaemonlordX has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 06:58 PM
I had played the shareware version of Jazz back in the day, however my best memory is the rescent release of Jazz 1 and 2 on GOG after having posted on Twitter to Epic and Cliff B about how Epic should release it's pre-Unreal catalogue in a collection or declare this catalogue freeware as several Epic games (One Must Fall 2097, Traffic Department 2192 and Kens Labyrinth) were released for free by the authors online. I had feared that Jazz and many of these older classics were lost as Epic is focused on F2P Multiplayer games and selling the Unreal Engine only these days...
Moosatronic

JCF Member

Moosatronic has disabled reputation

May 7, 2018, 10:50 PM
My best memory

I got into Jazz Jackrabbit 2 at a young age, it was my first online game, and as an awkward kid I could say that my first friends ever were made on Jazz Jackrabbit 2 servers. Before there was Minecraft, VRChat, or Roblox, I was role playing on "hotel" servers and downloading all kinds of maps that people had made as "Psyash" my horrible cringey first username.In one sense Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was the forerunner to the above games I mentioned in user generated content, it's level creator was nothing else at the time and as an aspiring game developer I dabbled in video game development with creating my own tilesets and levels. In a time where I felt like I had very little control over my life as a kid, there was no limits to the levels I could create and this was how I escaped from my situation as a kid.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was an essential part of my childhood that still stays with me today, learning about people in JJ2 also led me to begin to become better at interacting and learning about people in real life, and for that I am indebted to the game, its developers and this community.
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

May 8, 2018, 12:10 AM
I remember playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2 as a kid.Back then I didn't know anything about existence of cheat codes.I admit spawning bees(endlessly)diamondus in jj2 Flashback chapter was more annoying for me than bees from jj1 diamondus.I remember also that some jj2 tsf levels were unfinished because as a kid I played only Jazz Jackrabbit 2 the secret files(in 2002 I guess) and jazz jackrabbit 2 Christmas chronicles(in 2004 in 100%)I played jazz jackrabbit 1 when I was 18 years old(in 2011)back then I wasn't able how to configure music in sound card settings in installation of jj1 later I found on Internet cheat codes probably when I played few more times after first time when I completed a game.I found jj3 demo for a first time as torrent file I never knew back then about this cancelled jj2 sequel.I also played gba jazz jackrabbit remake(gameboy advance emulator of course) and jazz jackrabbit ios demo powered by Unreal Engine 3,but I wasn't satisfied to be honest.I also remember when I wanted to play for a first time jj2 online multiplayer mode(when I was trying) I didn't know back then how to configure npc settings for a first time,but now I know.

Last edited by luke11685; May 8, 2018 at 01:25 AM.

JCF Member

J0uluP4m has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 12:37 AM
1. My favorite memory of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is when I received the game as a gift from my parents. I was eight years old, and had been at a friend's birthday party when my mother picked me up. The internet wasn't such a big thing those days, but I had found about a sequel being developed for my favorite game (Jazz 1 of course . However I wasn't aware it had just been released. My parents had spotted the game in a store, and knowing I was a fan had bought it for me. I still remember seeing the outlines of the title "Jazz Jackrabbit 2" through the white plastic bag in which my mother gave the game to me. I was so excited, it left a lasting impression.

2. Here are a couple of songs I created using original samples from Jazz Jackrabbit 1. I hope they count! https://lunarhippo.bandcamp.com/album/stuff-in-space
defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 01:01 AM
I'd say my most difficult memory would be remembering my seperate main site and forum passwords to link my accounts so I could log in and make this post; apparently my last comment was "over 13 years ago". Hi everyone

My favourite memories would be playing Jazz 2 as my first ever online game. Endlessly browsing Jazz 2 City for levels. I would host servers and, being young, not understand that the ping for most people to Australia meant I had a ridiculous advantage. I would play non-stop Crimson Diamond and Hells Angels. I learned to make levels and was incredibly proud when they made it into Bash packs (Here and here for the curious).

And most importantly, I made friends who I still talk to today. And a few whom I've sadly long lost touch with.
DisOwl

JCF Member

DisOwl has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 01:17 AM
My most vivid memory is playing the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Christmas levels over Christmas time. The idea of themed levels I could download was just mindblowing for young me. I also remember JJ2 being incredibly impressive in resolution, in contrast to the original JJ. Probably also one of the first games I played that didn't come on floppies. Magical times.
KnuddelKoala

JCF Member

KnuddelKoala has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 02:52 AM
the new century

I just bought the game as it was released on GOG the first time ... but I do not remember special moment. For me the whole game is a great experience and I will hold the game as a whole in my memory
nukkus

JCF Member

nukkus has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 03:10 AM
Oh jeez, so many good memories for Jazz 2. I guess my best memory was the time me and my friends were having a LAN party, and ended up playing party mode into the wee hours. it was an absolute blast, way more fun than we were having with Quake.
Mageinstein

JCF Member

Mageinstein has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 03:31 AM
I think my best memories on Jazz Jackrabbit 2 are when my sister and I (she played Spaz and I played Jazz) entered a new level. We were quite young (5 and 8 I think) and both scared about what we would discover while playing on the same keyboard. I remember the witch level we had trouble handling, or the joy to discover our heroes could go into water !
And, in a short time after, I remember us retrying the game again and again before dying on that exact same point : a robot shaped boss I think, that we never succeeded in going through.
inknow

JCF Member

inknow has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 03:41 AM
Crash

I think my strongest memory of JJ2 was just as I was fighting Uterus. I played on my parents' computer back then and they've just migrated from Win98 to ME, and the moment I killed Uterus an error message popped up and my save got corrupted. I played with Jazz and I was a bit miffed, to say the least - as in my mind that was the end of the saga I started with Jazz Jackrabbit 1. The day after, I started a new game, this time with Spaz. Experiencing the same exploration puzzles between Jazz and Spaz back to back really burned it into my mind how good the level design of JJ2 was. I think the crash is the most angry I've been with JJ2, and the first stage epiphany is the most amazed I was.

JCF Member

f2bnp is doing well so far

May 8, 2018, 03:44 AM
Hi, thanks for the chance to win this special gift.

My favorite Jazz2 related memory is probably the one where I rediscovered the game after some years. I had originally played the demo when it was new, but never owned the full game back then unfortunately. I remember being super excited about finding out that OMF 2097 featured an ad for the first game.
Anyway, back in the summer of 2003, a few years after the game had stopped being sold and I couldn't get a copy of it, I eventually tracked it down on an old but well-known abandonware website of the time, HOTU or The Home of the Underdogs.

Filesize was roughly around 35MB for the entire game, which didn't include the animated cutscenes unfortunately, but I couldn't care less. I remember that it was around 8PM when I started downloading, but with a measly 56K dial-up connection, this took a few hours. I was very young at the time and my computer was in my parents' room, so I had to ask for permission to both let the Internet connection run for a few hours and let the PC running during the duration of the download. I had to use the GetRight download manager as well, just to make sure it didn't crap out on me midway through .

The waiting was just killing me. Thankfully, I remember that we did have guests that night at the house so I was occupied during that time. I think that it eventually finished around 12:30-1:00 AM, but of course it was too late and I had to go to bed, so I just turned the computer off and went to sleep . I remember anxiously trying to sleep, hoping that the game would run and that the entire wait was not wasted.
Got up in the morning and first thing I did was fire up the PC and test the game. When I saw it running, I was so incredibly happy, I just couldn't believe it that I could finally play that game in full. I probably spent that entire weekend playing the game and I think soon thereafter I found a copy of The Secret Files as well, which made me immensely happy as well.

Fast forward a few years later and around 2011 I finally got a legitimate, big box copy of the game! I want to thank everyone who worked on these games from the bottom of my heart, they made me so happy as a kid and I had a total blast playing through them! The cinematics in both Jazz 1 & 2 were the icing on the cake. And that music... some of these tracks still spring to mind randomly!
phrost

JCF Member

phrost has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 04:56 AM
I used to love playing JJ2. I remember we bought it at some kiosk at the mall and played it on my friend's old computer (486 possibly?) We were 8 or 9 at the time.. funky little game it is.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 8, 2018, 06:26 AM
I've been here a while, and there are more than a few memories I could bring up here, but I keep coming back to that experience when I first started playing JJ2 online in 1999/2000. I would go home during lunch break and boot up JJ2, and inevitably there'd be some people online who I'd just hang out with virtually.

We had only just gotten cable internet and this was my first experience with online gaming. I was still in primary school at the time and it was super exciting to meet new people - many from The Netherlands, but also people from other countries - this way. We had a bit of a group of Dutch people playing the game and while I'm no longer in touch with them, those days were a lot of fun.

Some of that feeling still persists here, which is part of the reason I'm still around, and I do believe the JJ2 scene is a little special in that regard.
RaunchyUndead

JCF Member

RaunchyUndead has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 08:15 AM
This is awesome!!!

To be truthfully honest I've never played Jazz Jackrabbit. However I've always wanted to play it. This would be great to win as my birthday is in May so here's to hoping.
matem

JCF Member

matem has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 08:31 AM
Favorite memory: playing the shareware version of "the green rabbit game" in the 90's as a kid, dreaming of somehow getting the full game with all the episodes (they looked really cool in the preview screenshots!)

JCF Member

Aratok has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 03:08 PM
My time

I have much fond memories associated with Jazz Jackrabbit. I was born in the early 90's in Poland, where access to games was rather difficult (especially in small towns) and JJ 1 was my second game I've ever played (still remember that floppy disc). The Tubelectric level and music have rooted themselves so deep in my memory, that I can still recall it in retrospect. The brilliant OST by Robert Allen is also present in my phone for some time already (Fanolint and Scraparap are my favourite).
JJ 2 was a little different story. I was getting used to 3D games and some day, my dad brought me a 2D sequel with my favourite carrot-connoisseur. Initially, I was driven mostly by nostalgia, but gradually I became more and more enamoured with its aesthetics and music (kudos to Alexander Brandon!). The best reminiscence of those times? Playing Jazz in the morning, before school and the feeling of cold on my bare-naked feet which winds up every time I recollect it ;D
Unfortunately, until today, I was unaware of the Jazz2 community and couldn't enjoy the additional content, but no matter. Three months ago, I met a girl, with whom I shared memories of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and found out, that she also used to play it. I proposed a multiplayer session and now I'm looking forward to test the content you people have amassed here. Time for a nostalgia trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksAMOPF6fAQ

As for the creative department, I've managed to familiarize my younger brother with JJ2 in the past, so there will be some private stuff with sentimental value. The first, is a birthday card, he gave me to commemorate my favourite games of the past. (Jazz is obviously symbolised by the green ears of the flying Worm).
Next, is his first attempt to draw Spaz.
https://imgur.com/a/y8XY2s9
Happy birthday, Jazz fans!