Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Baning

Jonathan

JCF Member

Jonathan is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 05:04 AM
When my brother gets on he sometimes anoys my friend and he won't stop so my friend bans him. But when its my turn to get on the comp & I change my name to my normal not his then I can't get on.

How can I get in?

------

I am known as "I"

O N J A Z Z

Aiko

JCF Member

Aiko is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 07:09 AM
Ask you friend to unban you (delete your ip from banlist.lst file, which can be found in his Jazz2 directory .

The problem occurs because Jazz2 doesn't ban the players name (as you prolly expected) but the so called iP addresses (an address for your computer, given by your iSP).

This is the reasons why i won't stop telling people here and everywhere else that *BANNiNG iN J2 DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. STOP iT!*. The problem is even bigger: other, unknown people using the same iSP will be banned as well (because some iSPs use "dynamic iP addresses"...means: it could happen they have to use the same iP address in the evening that *you* used the same morning (when you got banned .

If you want to get rid of people in your server, *kick* them instead of banning. Do it three or four times and they wont come back.
FireClaw

JCF Member

FireClaw is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 10:13 AM
Shouldn't reconnecting to the internet help? Or do you have a static IP?

JCF Member

Monolith is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 03:15 PM
I agree with Aiko.
DFX

JCF Member

DFX is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 04:19 PM
Aiko I never really heard you say thar before. But really Fire Claw said: simply disconnect from the internet. then log back on your ban is instantly destoryed.

No banning is worth it if someone is cussing, since JJ2 really doesn't stop cusses. And for if the person is still mean when he's a worst enemy or enemy.

JCF Member

Derby is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 04:53 PM
Actually, JJT, people with dial-ups can be somewhat evil (less myself) since they simply switch their IP address and come back in. Kicking is more discouraging because you're "inviting" them back in, and they would want to do the exact opposite. I suppose "intelligent" static IP address users are much more cautious when it comes to behavior.
Captain Spam

Retired administrator

Captain Spam has disabled reputation

Mar 29, 2001, 07:50 PM
See, this is why I think that whoever invented dynamically allocated IPs should be shot.

JJ2 bans by IP. By default (i.e. if the admin gives the ban command in-game), it'll only ban that ONE IP... meaning that disconnecting and reconnecting to the 'net should get you back in if you're under a dynamically allocated IP system. However, if they go a step further and manually edit the banlist file, they can ban big ol' blocks of IPs. Then you might run into a problem.

The Dementia of Magic
... Somewhere between Tolkien and Monty Python.
Monolith

JCF Member

Monolith is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 07:58 PM
Now, if one of the updates to JJ2 had actually worked, then we should have been able to ban by name and IP roots, as well as censor words.
iCeD

JCF Member

iCeD is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2001, 08:28 PM
Actually, JJ2 *can* filter words. On a CLIENT SIDE basis, that is. (open up filter.lst in your JJ2 directory)

My best solution to the escape ban problem would be banning every possible combo of IPs that start with the first two numbers of the IP... but I almost never ban, so I wouldn't need that knowledge.
Jonathan

JCF Member

Jonathan is doing well so far

Mar 30, 2001, 05:56 AM
When I open Filter.1st it doesn't know what to open it with.

The window pops up asking me to pick what to open it with, what should I open it with to tern the filter on?

___

Thanks all for ansering my other question
iCeD

JCF Member

iCeD is doing well so far

Mar 30, 2001, 07:03 AM
No, open it in Notepad, from there, you can choose what words to filter. JJ2 will filter them automatically in chat.