Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

How to run BatteryCheck on a Wii!

JCF Member

archer has disabled reputation

Oct 29, 2018, 06:59 AM
How to run BatteryCheck on a Wii!

I had always wanted to make something like a game that runs on older videogame hardware, and for some unknown reason Batterycheck seemed like a nice challenge. But since I had no idea how to get the graphics from the game and use them for my game I never actually tried it, until a few months ago.....

After finding the excellent Jazz2online wiki documentation explaining in great detail how the files were structured and whats goes where I played around with Python for a few weeks and got the tiles and levels to display in a preview and I could scroll around the level and stuff. A few weeks later I figured out how to get the animations in there and it almost looks like the real thing!

Then a couple of months ago I tried a few things with homebrew on the Gamecube and Wii but it looked to complicated at first. So I started with the DS and got a functional battery check menu system, but the low resolution and other limitations make me switch to the 3DS instead. Much more memory, resolution and wifi! After a few more weeks I had a functional and playable demo running on the 3DS with jump, gravity and primitive collision detection.

I am now working on the multi-platform version of the game engine which loads the tileset and animation graphics from the actual files and creates textures dynamically. I already had this working on the Linux version which uses OpenGL and GLFW (should be possible to make it work on MacOS and Windows) but the consoles and their respective homebrew libraries pre-converted the graphics into loadable textures. But other than that I have the engine working on Linux, Wii and 3DS....and the Gamecube should work too but is untested. The code should be portable enough to support more platforms but I limit myself to the four mentioned above.

The only real question I have is if anyone knows what the copyrights for the Batterycheck levels and artwork are. All I know is that there were discussions on the forum here that the company that released the game provided a free download (which is no longer available) and that someone here was nice enough to put up the ISO on some download site. I personally do not need it since I have the original CD and various copies and backups of my own hard drives where the game was installed.

I would like to hear what others think about my crazy little project and have some tips and tricks for me. An option I always keep in mind is that Jazz2 levels could run on my engine in the future but the main focus for now is Batterycheck.

Greetings,
Archer