Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

FortCTF

Gargoyle

JCF Member

Gargoyle is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2004, 09:43 AM
FortCTF

I think it was a year ago when i suggested the idea of forming a group tournament in which each team designed a home base that the opposing team would have to breach. The idea never really worked out, and I thought id suggest it again. The old site is www.geocities.com\fortctf from which you can download the basic levels that every team must develop.
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Jan 7, 2004, 09:48 AM
LTNS?

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jan 7, 2004, 11:31 AM
I recall making a level for this and then not getting much of a reply. It probably had to do with not following directions (I didn't email the level--just posted it in a reply within the topic). Fast forwarding to the present, I realize I have no idea how this is suppose to work. What exactly are the basic parts? How big can the fort be? The size of the two levels put together seems a little too small to be made into a good CTF level. And what keeps one team from making a fort far superior than the other team's? A few more details would be nice.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 8, 2004, 07:27 AM
SLTN!
Gargoyle

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2004, 05:56 AM
Basic FortCTF Rules

What's LTNS\SLTN? Im an idiot.

Blurred, I never really continued the idea becuase no one was really interested except for you and few others. Everyone was working on their own packs at the time so it didn't really work out.
Im hoping that if I make it more organized this time, more people will participate.

And besides, I was new, so I acted like an idiot and kept telling everybody to send in levels.
-----------------------------------

Each team builds it's own fort (no matter how superior, as long as it is breachable and it is within the limits specified) based on the levels availabe for download at the website.

Both levels must use the same tileset, preferably an Epic one, and both teams must agree on the tileset used.
The levels must not contain any events or text strings (they will be added later in the complete level).

The levels are submitted by both teams and are then placed (using copy paste in JCS) in a larger level created by a neutral designer.

The complete level is then edited, checked for bugs by every team member and by other neutral players, events and text strings are added, and if both teams agree to make the breaching process more strategic, triggers will be added.

The level is then tested again, and the final level is hosted on an online private server by a neutral judge.

-----------------------------------

As for the events used in the complete level and building the forts, here are some general restrictions. They can be changed as long as each team agrees to the changes:
-Both teams must agree on sucker-tube minimum\maximum speed.
-Limited power-up suply (1\2)
-No superblaster
-Limited weapon number (Meaning that you can only have a certain ammount of weapon kinds): 3\4.
-A direct path to the fort's flag (what i mean is: no monkey business).
-No shields
-Freeze cannot be behind a foreground layer (hidden) (this will be changed, but it's to prevent warp tricks and employee room techniques)
-Powerup delay minimum (10 seconds for now)
-No M\SCE's (To prevent access violations).
-When permited, one airboard per fort
-The most right or left tiles of the base levels (those at the website) cannot be changed (the ones that lead to the main part of the level).
-The CTF base cannot be behind any foreground layer (hidden).

---------------------------------------
Suggestions:
-Each team should have a mixed selection of chars (for example: 3 Spaz, 2 Jazz\Lori)
-Making the entrance to a fort more complicated makes it harder for the other team to breach, but it also delays flag captures. This goes for all considerations while building: balance.

---------------------------------------------
Hoped that cleared it up.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Jan 11, 2004 at 06:25 AM.
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Jan 11, 2004, 10:23 AM
long time no see.

=P
Gargoyle

JCF Member

Jan 12, 2004, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
long time no see.

=P
ah. thanks.
Gargoyle

JCF Member

Jan 14, 2004, 04:15 AM
I'll build an example level to give people an idea of what to do. I haven't actually built anything for around a year.