Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Should we have a Jazz 2 resolution changer?

View Poll Results: Should we have a Jazz 2 resolution changer?
Yes 60 65.22%
No 19 20.65%
It should be released to certain people for certain circumstances (e.g. hotels) 8 8.70%
I'm not sure, get back to me on this one 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Jun 8, 2010, 11:21 AM
If the transition is made to bigger resolutions, games will generally become longer and the gap between a veteran player and a moderate player will decrease, because it will become (potentially a lot) easier to read the opponent's movements and strategies.

In tight levels where speed is pretty much the deciding factor (like bbswing), in most key-situations you can easily see which way the opponent's going to come at you with a higher resolution.

People could do well to understand that -- over the years -- gameplay has developed around seeing the standard 640x480 area and it will significantly mess up various areas of competitive gameplay if people start seeing a bigger area.

Sure it's nice to see a bigger area at once, and it could be considered more refined and an upgrade to the gameplay, but it has more downsides than people seem to be able to comprehend.

EDIT: and compromises like downtuning with a command won't make much a difference.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jun 8, 2010, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven aka StL View Post
EDIT: and compromises like downtuning with a command won't make much a difference.
This is where you completely stopped making sense

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Jun 8, 2010, 11:41 PM
I totaly agree with stl. If players see big area of a level (and maybe the whole level - BBSwing) it would be unfair for everyone. Matches will be played 1 hour if you set maxscore and don't timelimit. Everyone will just stand in some part of a level, and looking at other players, where they are. I don't like this idea but maybe this can be good for hotel levels (what I don't play, but if program is released, then it can help to some players and they can see the whole hotel and be orientated where they are ). If someone make /maxresolution command and it be functional, then.. this idea is good. But only for fun servers. NEVER IN DUELS/2v2/CW/Ladders etc. It can be used in duels and 2v2s but just for fun. I won't this program be used in CWs, ladders and in JDC events becouse if you see 16 players (or maybe 32 with a new plus.. maybe someone host a Battle JDC event with 32 players) you will be confused and you will not see all ammo where they are placed (if you don't know level before, and take in minds that there are no players who download levels for a next JDC event), and if you know where are ammo and PUs, maybe you cant see them... because of rushed game and 8 layers what are colorful, and ammo can be invisible.

Believe me. DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM in Duels/2v2s/JDC Events/CWs/Ladders etc. if all players don't agree on that.
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Jun 9, 2010, 06:00 AM
Whether one agrees with it or not, I think we should at least have a /maxresolution command for those who do disagree.

I was considering saying something along the lines of not using it in duels/2v2s/JDC/CW etc if there is still disagreement, since it really wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to use the original max res... but it depends on what rules are made for such events. And people lie on the internet ;|

JCF Member

[GpW]Urbs is an asset to this forum

Jun 10, 2010, 01:14 PM
ohh playing against players with higher resolution is possible.
i played in 320x240 for a couple of years till i got a better pc, cuz i decided 20-30 fps is more of a disadvantage than a smaller screen
but ya, works well for open games, not so well for competitions...

on the other hand, it's definitely worth pursuing, maybe we'd see some amazingly humongous levels being made for the new specs?
Are there any size limits on JCS? If so, can some1 break em down?
Cuz that would like totally create a whole new game.
Although from my personal experience, 320x240 was wild. I mean, no strategy, just shooting. And part of the fun with jj2 is shooting seeks and RF's blind, hoping they will hit - or rather inticipating they will. I just hope the game doesn't slow down with higher resolutions. But then again, we'll never know if we don't try. Would be nice if the 640x480 wouldn't completely die out though...
Since I don't compete I guess I wouldn't really care whether some1 on the server had a bigger field of view than me - but it could be a bit of a downside for JDC and other tourneys. I guess there are ways of blocking thist stuff, right? And is cheating really a big problem on jj2?
OK, it's true, I'm not the quickest of cats, so I most likely wouldn't spot a cheater if he/she were right in front of me with a nuke, but still, usually somebody else notices and the person gets kicked.

EDIT: dayum, looks like I voted for yes... hmms, i guess I'm a schizo...

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

JCF Member

burnout92 is doing well so far

Dec 2, 2012, 01:38 AM
I played with Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in 1024X768 8-bit MMX off. When i go online game it will crashed and throw back to the Windows.

JCF Member

Bartjaah is doing well so far

Jun 18, 2015, 04:05 PM
I would love a 16:9 Jazz Jackrabbit 2 for my JJ2 recordings on youtube. Not for online gameplay nor cheating.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:49 AM
Primpy
This message has been deleted by Primpy. Reason: Nevermind.