Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Spreading Jazz To Other Games - And Gamers

Nadine

JCF Member

Nadine has disabled reputation

Apr 6, 2002, 12:28 AM
Cool Spreading Jazz To Other Games - And Gamers

This game really is awesome, and the main character is especially great and what started it all. I love to draw cartoon style animal characters and play many kinds of games. But in my favourite action games I'd really love to play as Jazz. I would love Jazz to be playable in Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, and Hunter Hunted. As for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, I would love to play as Sonic the Hedgehog in it. Let's face it, they compared Jazz to Sonic a long time ago and many gameplay elements clearly resemble classic Sonic games. Playing as Sonic with a gun would be different, but really cool anyway. But note the three games I'd love Jazz to be in.

Too bad I have absolutely no idea how to do this! And I haven't found such downloads on the internet either. If Jazz was a downloadable character for some online games than wouldn't that be a great way to advertise the character, and show how cool he is? It would perhaps cause some public interest in the series, and plus it would just rule to play as Jazz in a non-Jazz game and whup people's butts!

Don't worry, I'm asking some people I know for help on this project of mine. In the meantime, do you guys know of any games you can download Jazz for?

JCF Member

Enigma is an asset to this forum

Apr 6, 2002, 04:24 AM

Err, i doubt that there are other games you can actually play in as Jazz, so it is very, very unlikely that you can download the Jazz character for that purpose. And then there are those evil copyright laws, so... i wouldn't hope too much.

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Apr 6, 2002, 06:47 AM
Re: Spreading Jazz To Other Games - And Gamers

Quote:
Originally posted by Nadine
This game really is awesome, and the main character is especially great and what started it all. I love to draw cartoon style animal characters and play many kinds of games. But in my favourite action games I'd really love to play as Jazz. I would love Jazz to be playable in Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal, and Hunter Hunted. As for Jazz Jackrabbit 2, I would love to play as Sonic the Hedgehog in it. Let's face it, they compared Jazz to Sonic a long time ago and many gameplay elements clearly resemble classic Sonic games. Playing as Sonic with a gun would be different, but really cool anyway. But note the three games I'd love Jazz to be in.
Note that placing any other characters into JJ2 would required editing of the sprites, something that, without access to the sourcecode and without good animators, would be impossible. Also note that seeing as how Jazz is a realitvely unheard of game around the 3d gaming communities such as Unreal Tournament, aside from a small handful of minorities, that there will be no Jazz skins around to download. PLUS those evil copyright laws...

Quote:
Too bad I have absolutely no idea how to do this! And I haven't found such downloads on the internet either. If Jazz was a downloadable character for some online games than wouldn't that be a great way to advertise the character, and show how cool he is? It would perhaps cause some public interest in the series, and plus it would just rule to play as Jazz in a non-Jazz game and whup people's butts!

Don't worry, I'm asking some people I know for help on this project of mine. In the meantime, do you guys know of any games you can download Jazz for?
Jazz Ski Rabbit? Go to Jazz 2 Online, fan-game made by ET.
Nope, can't be done for JJ2 without the sourcecode, and even then, you'd need to understand it to be able to edit it and be a darn good animator to draw each individual sprite.
Nadine

JCF Member

Apr 6, 2002, 03:06 PM
Well the idea is that there wouldn't be very many new frames of animation that I'd have to make. Say for example if I want to make Jazz playable in Hunter Hunted, it is already a side scrolling game, and Jazz already shoots enemies. Almost all of his original animations could be left intact, I would just add a few frames that he'd need, and while I'm a rookie animator, I'm a talented cartoon artist. As for copyright laws, I don't know. What about other models I've seen for Unreal Tournament or Quake 3? I've seen Sonic, Snoopy, Homer Simpson, Mr. Burns, Bender - I don't know if they had to deal with copyright laws, but those models are readily available for downloading.

And if copyright laws are a problem, I could always keep the characters to myself, though it would be more worth my hard work if I spread it around. And if someone did make a believable Jazz model for an online FPS, like I said, maybe someone would recognise him, or chat to you and ask "What a cool character. Who is that rabbit?"

But I still want to learn about it. I think it's quite an unrealistic challenge at this point.
defalcon

JCF Member

Apr 6, 2002, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nadine
Well the idea is that there wouldn't be very many new frames of animation that I'd have to make. Say for example if I want to make Jazz playable in Hunter Hunted, it is already a side scrolling game, and Jazz already shoots enemies. Almost all of his original animations could be left intact, I would just add a few frames that he'd need, and while I'm a rookie animator, I'm a talented cartoon artist. As for copyright laws, I don't know. What about other models I've seen for Unreal Tournament or Quake 3? I've seen Sonic, Snoopy, Homer Simpson, Mr. Burns, Bender - I don't know if they had to deal with copyright laws, but those models are readily available for downloading.

And if copyright laws are a problem, I could always keep the characters to myself, though it would be more worth my hard work if I spread it around. And if someone did make a believable Jazz model for an online FPS, like I said, maybe someone would recognise him, or chat to you and ask "What a cool character. Who is that rabbit?"

But I still want to learn about it. I think it's quite an unrealistic challenge at this point.
Yep, as nobody can edit the sprites without the sourcecode - something which you NEED (notice the bold letters) to do such a thing. Not to mention seeing as how in most FPS's people swear at you for no reason I think they'd scoff at someone running around as a green bunny. Also, Epic is EXTREMELY testy about copyrights, and according to P3 Interactive Epic asked outrageuos prices if they were to use Jazz, considering Epic no longer supports any of their old games.
Cheeze

JCF Member

Cheeze has disabled reputation

Apr 7, 2002, 01:05 PM
I doubt that Epic will really care. It's more of a hassle to sue a little group of people playing a hacked game with a rabbit stuck in it, or Unreal/Quake with a rabbit skin. After all, you could always change the name to avoid copyright infringement, or just go ahead and call it whatever the hell you want. After all, i really doubt that Epic will care.

Seriously, the only reason they might care is if you go ahead and ask them and bother them. After all, what Nadine is talking about isn't a big project or anything, just simple little skins and modifications.

But if you do want to change the sprites in a game, that you'll prolly need the source or be very skilled in hacking.

-cheeze
Nadine

JCF Member

Apr 7, 2002, 04:20 PM
Well, I'll worry about animating and I'll need to meet someone at my college who can hack, become friends, and he or she can help me with this project. Otherwise, it's just a cool idea that will never happen. I sure can't hack! Or program anything. As for skins or actual models for FPS, I don't know how to make them, and I think an actual model is better than a skin. If I'm correct, a skin is just like a costume, but the body shape and size would be whatever the character of Unreal Tournament already is. So, the result isn't as good. But that's beyond what I know.

For Duke Nukem 3D, I want to get all the frames of animation from Jazz Jackrabbit 1 from the 3D bonus levels. Ofcourse, I have to do more frames. But there's also the part when you finish the bonus level or quit it, and the camera spins around Jazz. So I can use those frames to help me animate Jazz from all angles. Thankfully, I've chosen Duke Nukem3D as the game to modify because it does still use flat sprites. I'll have to completely learn 3D Studio Max or something to make a model for the newer 3D games. I'll get to that some point in college, but I'm not taking on that on my own. Atleast not yet. Duke 3D may be more managable.

But I just thought of these ideas because I think it's easier than making an actual fan game. I mean, take "Jazz Ski Rabbit" for example (thanks for that Defalcon). The Jazz is taken from JJ2, he just added sticks and skis to him. When he wiped out, he added more animations, but again used it from the game as a foundation. That's what I mean, but putting Jazz in an existing game instead of my own. I have to start small, but it even seems big since I don't know how to hack, and I'll probably need photoshop or some other program to help match my frames with the existing ones and make it all work as one finished thing.

It'll be fun to do, but very very hard.
defalcon

JCF Member

Apr 7, 2002, 09:36 PM
Meet a hacking friend to help? I doubt it would do much. We have a whole comunity of coders right here trying to work on 1.25, but without the sourcecode they can't pogress far at all.
Nadine

JCF Member

Apr 7, 2002, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't hackers know how to get to the sourcecode? Even you know what it is they or I would need. I never even heard of sourcecode before, so already you know more than I do. You're not a hacker, are you Defalcon?

1.25... now that's what we need! That would fix up some bugs and allow TSF and JJ2 owners to connect and play online with each other, right?
Aiko

JCF Member

Aiko is doing well so far

Apr 8, 2002, 01:41 AM
Heh...*grin*...you rock, Nadine! You're my favourite n00b ever. 1.25 is what we need! *heh*
mirrow

JCF Member

mirrow has disabled reputation

Apr 8, 2002, 05:58 AM
Lightbulb

i agree with nadine .. it would be cool if u see a JazzJack in for example quake and others would like the rabbit and start so playing JJ2 ... and it is also possible to creat skins for games s why no JJ2 skin or a JJ2bot for cs*hehe* and this **** copyright laws of jj2 .. tsk u can p*ss on them .. do u think epic is intrested in any skins from JJ2 ..? it is also advertising for them.
So gimme a creator and i make a skin
max-e 15:16:45: how are the girls ?
Overlord 15:17:07: who?
max-e 15:17:18: your girls?
Overlord 15:17:24: 404
Nadine

JCF Member

Apr 8, 2002, 03:53 PM
Well, I don't even have Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 - just regular Unreal. I haven't started playing it online yet, but can anyone confirm whether the character skins or models are used commonly in first person shooters online? Otherwise it's much like wearing a halloween costume at any normal day of the year. You look like a fool, and you get teased for it. However, whether or not people like your new skin, if you rock at FPS and you look like Jazz, than you can chat to them: "Oh, what's the matter? Can't defeat the cute little green bunny?" That would be sweet.
Matrix

JCF Member

Matrix is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2002, 12:43 AM
Cyber Extruder

You could mayby create a JJ2 3D model in Cyber Extruder.

What is cyber extruder:
Cyber Extruder can place your face in a game like the sims or Return to Castle Wolfenstine. Basicly you give it your face and it convers it to a 3d model. Could you do that with jazz's face?

try it, www.cyberextruder.com

Matrix

JCF Member

Michael is doing well so far

Apr 10, 2002, 05:58 AM
Smile

Nadine, the future of Jazz is dead, the only living Jazz is EXACTLY how it is now, there are no more official patches coming or anything of the style, your a good newbie (am not gunna eat j00) but (as you said) you talk to much hehe, what was I going to put after this commer.. nvm.
mirrow

JCF Member

mirrow has disabled reputation

Apr 11, 2002, 02:17 AM
matrix... i have to pay for that arg

AA i have to pay 4.95 $ for one face for rtcw and the rabit still has no ears and normal human hairs ... if u ask me.. it sux
max-e 15:16:45: how are the girls ?
Overlord 15:17:07: who?
max-e 15:17:18: your girls?
Overlord 15:17:24: 404