Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Archived forums (closed for posting) » War Tavern

Rules Feedback Thread

 
 
Thread Tools
Ducky Ducky's Avatar

JCF Member

Joined: Jan 2001

Posts: 2,257

Ducky is doing well so far

Jan 24, 2007, 02:06 PM
Ducky is offline
I think the rules should, at least within moderation, be dictated by the patrons of the forum, so if there is more feedback, or discussion that people are interested in, by all means it should be done. However until any particular rule is amended (which should probably only be done after good debate and a general consenses) perhaps we should have a thread closed and stickied with those rules that are decided upon up top, and leave this one open for feedback(maybe even edit the title to reflect such)?
__________________
remember? (:
Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
Coppertop
This message has been deleted by Coppertop. Reason: Double post oops
Coppertop

Moderator

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 4,210

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jan 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
Coppertop is offline
Alright, I'll change the title and add a new thread.

Speaking of feedback, I don't suppose you guys have anymore to contribute?
superjwren329 superjwren329's Avatar

JCF Member

Joined: Jun 2006

Posts: 212

superjwren329 is doing well so far

Jan 24, 2007, 06:44 PM
superjwren329 is offline
Well....Sadly, rules that are made EVENTUALLY get broken. Not always intentionally I may add. Given that fact that some crossover stories can be REALLY good, or downright suck, I'd only recommend it if you have it balanced out with Jazz 2 Universe/Characters.

Devan and Jazz appear in my story, as well as his minons, only with different names. Like the giant green crab thing...I hated it's name, so I changed it...

Blisy and Bubba still have to be unleashed... Heh heh heh...

That said, I think this thread is losing momentum. I haven't much else to say but...make sure you spell correctly, or get someone else to re-post it for you. And if Jazz can have semi-immortality, why can't I?

*laughter*
__________________
The War Tavern is good. The War Tavern is great. Surrender yourself to it at all haste. Heh.
n0

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 2,291

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jan 24, 2007, 09:07 PM
n0 is offline
Uh... Jazz CAN die. Actually, his death makes a great story.
__________________
<.<
>.>
-.-
n00b

JCF Veteran

Joined: May 2004

Posts: 5,578

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jan 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
n00b is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjwren329
And if Jazz can have semi-immortality, why can't I?
You're taking the wrong bit of Video Game logic to apply to a story.

I'm sure we've all played video games and noticed that with the exception of getting a gameover, characters can just spring back whenever they want to. However, if you notice, Pick-your-own adventure books* based on video games allow for only one life for the character. If your character does die, they tell you to restart the storyline from the very beginning. I'm sure there's some metaphor I could use, but I really don't want to think of one right now.

Anyways the point is various concepts of video games such as being able to constantly cheat death tend not to appear in written adoptions for the following:
1 Typically, the character's actions and personality are not defined by being able to use invincibility powerups and being able to infinitively revive himself
2 It does not make for a compelling story

So while Jazz is slightly invincible in games, it's because it's an interactive game, not a story where you can not directly control the character

*Just an example, mostly because I haven't read "normal" book adaptions of video games for a long time.
Coppertop

Moderator

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 4,210

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jan 25, 2007, 05:17 PM
Coppertop is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjwren329
Well....Sadly, rules that are made EVENTUALLY get broken. Not always intentionally I may add. Given that fact that some crossover stories can be REALLY good, or downright suck, I'd only recommend it if you have it balanced out with Jazz 2 Universe/Characters.

Devan and Jazz appear in my story, as well as his minons, only with different names. Like the giant green crab thing...I hated it's name, so I changed it...

Blisy and Bubba still have to be unleashed... Heh heh heh...

That said, I think this thread is losing momentum. I haven't much else to say but...make sure you spell correctly, or get someone else to re-post it for you. And if Jazz can have semi-immortality, why can't I?

*laughter*
Rules do indeed get broken. If they weren't, there would be no need for moderators such as myself and Ducky. As for unintentionally breaking them, well, that's what this thread is for. And yes, there are exceptions to (almost) every rule, but they must meet certain criteria nonetheless, which we, the mods, determine.

Having JJ2 characters appear in your stories is indeed a good thing, but it does not guarantee the quality of your story by any stretch of the imagination. Three out of four of my stories did not involve JJ2 characters. The fourth and last did. Of course, none of my stories were crossovers, but my point stands.

Semi-immortality makes a character boring. No matter how much peril he or she is in, we yawn through it, because we already know they're not going to get killed. Video games are far, far different from fan-fiction in that sense.

I think we will leave this thread open. Other users may have feedback in the future and I believe it is important to hear them out.
Radium Radium's Avatar

JCF Éminence Grise

Joined: Jul 2002

Posts: 12,275

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 25, 2007, 05:50 PM
Radium is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop
Semi-immortality makes a character boring. No matter how much peril he or she is in, we yawn through it, because we already know they're not going to get killed.
I disagree here; in any story narrated in the first-person past-tense you know the main character won't get killed*. Heck, there's even been tons of interesting stories with immortal main characters. The webcomic Black Tapestries is narrated in the past tense by an immortal character. That makes her, like, double immortal.

For the story to be interesting, here simply has to be something threatened, whether another character, an idea, a feeling, a world, etc. Somewhere there needs to be the risk of loss or failure. If the reader already knows how the story will end, and how that end will come about, then there's no point in reading.

*The exception being ToU, where everyone dies all the time.
__________________
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Coppertop

Moderator

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 4,210

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jan 25, 2007, 06:18 PM
Coppertop is offline
Excellent point Rad, I hadn't considered that. However I still believe that the sense of peril must be personal.

If I ever write another story, I will have a field day killing characters off. Yes, even other people's characters.
n0

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 2,291

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jan 26, 2007, 07:56 AM
n0 is offline
Or you could just finish this story.
__________________
<.<
>.>
-.-
Violet CLM Violet CLM's Avatar

JCF Éminence Grise

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 10,643

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
Violet CLM is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
I disagree here; in any story narrated in the first-person past-tense you know the main character won't get killed*.
Nonsense. To pick an example, the Supernatural Law issue "Black Market Souls" is told by a deceased character who simply does not realize he is dead until the end of the recounting. I sincerely doubt that that is the only incident of such happening in all recorded fiction.
__________________
Radium Radium's Avatar

JCF Éminence Grise

Joined: Jul 2002

Posts: 12,275

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 26, 2007, 02:42 PM
Radium is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
Nonsense. To pick an example, the Supernatural Law issue "Black Market Souls" is told by a deceased character who simply does not realize he is dead until the end of the recounting. I sincerely doubt that that is the only incident of such happening in all recorded fiction.
Good point, I overlooked that. I still think it's safe to say that in most past-tense first-person stories, the narrator has no threat of death. And if the narrator did die, the setup at the beginning would have to be highly specific to reflect this without giving it away (ruling out all stories where a grandfather is recounting his adventures to his children or something).
__________________
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2004

Posts: 3,072

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Jan 26, 2007, 03:37 PM
Doubble Dutch is offline
I would say that the best stories, first person or not are those that fool the reader. Most movies we go to we could logically say that everything works out for the best in the end; the only stories with bad endings are usually horror. Yet we suspend our beliefs temporarily while the movie or story runs, with the best dragging us into the plot, making us feel what the character is going through. Someone is sick? Will they die? Probably not, but if done right we can cry right along with the main character.

It is how a story is written, rather than what we 'know' will happen that determines how good it is.

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that that is the only incident of such happening in all recorded fiction.
One sentence; 'I see dead people!'


Sorry for another rant, this place is addictive.
__________________

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")
n0

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 2,291

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jan 26, 2007, 05:01 PM
n0 is offline
Hey, if you are still Sarah, not DD, could you do everyone a favor and sign up with your own account so we can tell the diffrence between you two?
__________________
<.<
>.>
-.-
Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2004

Posts: 3,072

Doubble Dutch is doing well so far

Jan 27, 2007, 02:07 PM
Doubble Dutch is offline
I suppose I had better before I make an even bigger mess of things. How do I go about doing that?
__________________

nonne amicus certus in re incerta cernitur?

/)_/)
(^.^)
((")(")
Birdie Birdie's Avatar

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2005

Posts: 1,796

Birdie is doing well so far

Jan 27, 2007, 02:10 PM
Birdie is offline
You would go here then fill out the regestration information.
__________________
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Joined: Dec 2002

Posts: 1,350

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Jan 28, 2007, 02:29 AM
ThunderPX is offline
Wait. This thread says your story doesn't necessarily have to take place in the JJ universe as long as it's not fanfiction for another game. However, the profile thread says your characters need to be in the JJ universe.
Strato

JCF Member

Joined: Jan 2002

Posts: 2,588

Strato is doing well so far

Jan 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
Strato is offline
I think the rules state that compatibility needs to occur with your characters. We don't need characters that would belong in the sonic universe, but stories themselves don't have to take place in the Jazz universe.

I think that there is an uncertaintity in the rules. Basically there is no discretion between fan fiction and original prose. As it stands, if it's in the Jazz 2 universe, it's fan fiction and it's allowed. If it's in some other video game universe, it's not. If it's not a fan fiction of any kind, it's allowed as well though. Characters follow the same pattern.
superjwren329 superjwren329's Avatar

JCF Member

Joined: Jun 2006

Posts: 212

superjwren329 is doing well so far

Feb 7, 2007, 01:27 AM
superjwren329 is offline
And thus...the cogs were set into motion...total and utter chaos was unleashed on the poor people of this Tavern...the total eclispe of darkness rises...condeming us all to death...

Eeep.

Yeah. Death CAN be a good thing, if done properly. I intend to do that when the Final (D) chapter comes around, Joshua's in trouble...
__________________
The War Tavern is good. The War Tavern is great. Surrender yourself to it at all haste. Heh.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Joined: Dec 2002

Posts: 1,350

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 1, 2007, 05:23 AM
ThunderPX is offline
I have a question about n0's test. What's the point of the questions that give you a point no matter what you answer?
n0

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 2,291

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

May 1, 2007, 08:46 AM
n0 is offline
I don't see what you mean, Thunder...

Let us introduce a new charcter, "Jane Jumpingrabbit"

Jane is a 17 year old pink and purple spotted lop rabbit. She was born and raised on Carrotus, and never plans on leaving the planet. She gets straight B's in school and works at a video rental place a couple hours a week for cash. She fits into the "normal" clique at school, isn't really popular or unpopular but gets along fine with most people and has a large number of people she would label "Friends."

Jane lives at home with her father and mother, who both have full time jobs, and her little brother, who she hates with a passion.

In the evenings, when she is not doing homework or working at her job, she is hanging out with friends or is going out with her longtime boyfriend Jake.

She has been to Jazz and Eva's castle once on a field trip, and has quite a crush on their son, the prince Zander.

When she grows up she wants to be a marine biologist, marry an engineer and have a million kids.


Now, let's see how she does for the test.

Does your charcter fit in the JJ2 universe? (Anthro, space age, etc)
Yes. (no points)
Is this charcter your avatar? (Your namesakes charcter)
No. (no points)
Could this character beat a main character hands down?
No, she doesn't fight at all. (no points)
Is your charcter a major love intrest of a main character?
A crush, never acted upon, does not count. (no points)
Does your charcter keep in charcter? (ie. can do things never trained to do well)
Yes, she is normal, no weird things going on here. (no points)
Is your character really lucky?
No, a bit of a clutz really. (no points)
Does everyone else in the story treat your charcter like something special?
No. (no points)
Does "Mysterious" describe your character? For no good reason?
Not remotely. (no points)
Does your character meet any of these cliche: Related to main characters, has a twin, is an orphan...
Nope. (no points)

Well, would you look at that, it's a charcter with NO POINTS. I don't get what you mean by a question that always gives you points, thunder.

`n0
__________________
<.<
>.>
-.-
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Joined: Dec 2002

Posts: 1,350

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
ThunderPX is offline
Quote:
The MarySue test should be as simple as:
Does your charcter fit in the JJ2 universe? (Anthro, space age, etc)
("No" give you two points)
Is this charcter your avatar? (Your namesakes charcter)
("Yes" gives you one point)
Could this character beat a main character hands down?
(A point for each)
Is your charcter a major love intrest of a main character?
(A point for each)
Does your charcter keep in charcter? (ie. can do things never trained to do well)
(Two points for "no")
Is your character really lucky?
(A point for "yes")
Does everyone else in the story treat your charcter like something special?
(Two points for "Yes"
Does "Mysterious" describe your character? For no good reason?
(A point for each)
Does your character meet any of these cliche: Related to main characters, has a twin, is an orphan...
(A point for each)
Then what does that mean?
n0

JCF Member

Joined: Mar 2001

Posts: 2,291

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

May 1, 2007, 03:57 PM
n0 is offline
...
Could this character beat a main character hands down?
A point for each character (Jazz, Spaz, Lori, Devan) that your charcter can beat hands down.

Let's say your charcter "Superrabit" could kill Devan accidentally. You know, by looking at him too hard with his lazer eyes. That would score one point.

Or, lets say you have a charcter "Superabbid" can kill Jazz, Spaz, Lori and Devan, even if they all teamed up together to beat him, by flexing his left pinky toe. This would merit four points.

In the case of Jane Jumpingrabbit, she couldn't kill Jazz if he was warped into a frog and Jane was given a Bazooka. She wouldn't stand a chance, never being trained with weapons or hand to hand combat. So she gets a point for each of the main charcters she can beat, that number being zero.

If you are still having problems understanding, I can repeat the process with the other three "A point for each" statements, but it should be suffice to say that if each=0, then points=0.

`n0
__________________
<.<
>.>
-.-
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Joined: Dec 2002

Posts: 1,350

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 2, 2007, 02:31 AM
ThunderPX is offline
Ah, pwned by the language barrier D=
Old Jul 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
Ranana_wace
This message has been deleted by Torkell. Reason: Massively offtopic
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:13 AM
TefViseddic
This message has been deleted by Torkell. Reason: Spam
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:14 AM
TefViseddic
This message has been deleted by Torkell. Reason: Spam
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:17 AM
TefViseddic
This message has been deleted by Torkell. Reason: Spam
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:41 PM.