Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

FPS issues.

Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Feb 1, 2015, 01:50 AM
FPS issues.

Anyone know why I'm capped to 31 fps in JJ2 when in fullscreen mode?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 01:55 AM
Ninja
This message has been deleted by The Moving Bot!. Reason: No double posts!

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Feb 1, 2015, 02:12 AM
Windows 8 dropped DirectDraw support so all games using it slowed down drastically. Some people seem to cope with it by disabling triple buffering - that's done by running JJ2 with a "-notriple" command line argument. If you want to run JJ2 on Windows 8 in fullscreen, that's currently probably the most you can do.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 2, 2015, 02:59 AM
Windows 8 got the honour of being the first Windows version that fundamentally broke parts of JJ2, without including the XP (and later) theme models not going well with JJ2's window captions. Basically, the game works just fine yet there are 2 strange problems.

1: A major video performance loss occurs while using fullscreen, Hardware Mode slows it down even further! This is not exclusive to JJ2, but will happen in any game on Windows 8 utilizing DirectDraw in combination with either double or triple buffering. The hardcoded -notriple flag thus doesn't work as there'll be double buffering instead. So far Microsoft support reps have ignored the issue saying 'DirectDraw is an old technology that should be avoided'..

2: Network connectivity (netcode?) will be lost when switching out of fullscreen during an online game (not in the menu). This doesn't happen if you enter an online game windowed and switch to fullscreen from there. If this happens, you can only get connectivity back by closing and restarting JJ2.

I don't think there's an easy way to fix issue 2, as I don't understand the actual cause. Hence, the best workaround for us fullscreeners is to not switch out of fullscreen while playing online. For issue 1 however, I found this good yet clumsy workaround, so let's just quote myself from the Windows 8 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
As I said yesterday, I hereby post this excellent workaround I found on another forum that discussed the same problem with a DDraw based game.

1: Go to the DirectX Settings. Appears to be hidden in Windows8, download this cpl component shortcut: directx.cpl
2: Make sure you open this applet with admin rights, proceed if you have.
3: Go to the DirectDraw tab and untick the checkbox Use Hardware Acceleration.
4: Make sure you do this on DirectDraw only, as disabling hardware accel on Direct3D will likely break modern games. Just don't casually tick anything else.
5: Press OK to apply settings. If you have JJ2 open, restart it to take effect.
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Feb 2, 2015, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Windows 8 got the honour of being the first Windows version that fundamentally broke parts of JJ2, without including the XP (and later) theme models not going well with JJ2's window captions. Basically, the game works just fine yet there are 2 strange problems.

1: A major video performance loss occurs while using fullscreen, Hardware Mode slows it down even further! This is not exclusive to JJ2, but will happen in any game on Windows 8 utilizing DirectDraw in combination with either double or triple buffering. The hardcoded -notriple flag thus doesn't work as there'll be double buffering instead. So far Microsoft support reps have ignored the issue saying 'DirectDraw is an old technology that should be avoided'..

2: Network connectivity (netcode?) will be lost when switching out of fullscreen during an online game (not in the menu). This doesn't happen if you enter an online game windowed and switch to fullscreen from there. If this happens, you can only get connectivity back by closing and restarting JJ2.

I don't think there's an easy way to fix issue 2, as I don't understand the actual cause. Hence, the best workaround for us fullscreeners is to not switch out of fullscreen while playing online. For issue 1 however, I found this good yet clumsy workaround, so let's just quote myself from the Windows 8 thread:
Awesome! I can run the game in fullscreen at 120 FPS now.

Thanks for the help, guys. If anyone ever figures out a solution for that network problem, let me know.