Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Archived forums (closed for posting) » War Tavern

Conquests

Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jan 31, 2003, 07:53 AM
I've got that all figured out. Don't worry!
Evaluator

JCF Member

Evaluator is doing well so far

Jan 31, 2003, 07:54 AM
Eval claims page six! I'll give it to CT when she replies

Eval
Coppertop

Jan 31, 2003, 07:55 AM
I replies. Thanx, Eval, Kaz never gives me his pages
Coppertop

Jan 31, 2003, 07:57 AM
You know, I truly believe this will be longer than Conquerer. 16 replies on Conquerer's last page, and I have a LOT more to post. Heck, I may actually make seven pages! Look out Kove, here I come!
4I Falcon

JCF Member

4I Falcon has disabled reputation

Jan 31, 2003, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Coppertop
I'm not so sure about 4I Falcon, though.
Thank you verra much for getting my name right.

And it's OK of you don't get Crystal into the story. I have an insatiable desire to ask to join every not-yet-completed story that I come across, and it's turning into a bad habit.

WANT MORE STORY WANT MORE STORY!

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
Enter: Jack Flash
System of Turbulence
Profile count: disabled.

Galbadia Hotel: your one-stop shop for all your VG music needs!
Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Feb 1, 2003, 11:41 AM
NOOOOOOOO!!!! ; v; !!

*cuddles his other pages*
THEY BE MINE! Afterall, you have the original >.>

It's hanging there =\... the story. Actions and words spill out, but there is no movement on the actual plot... Why CT?

Feb 4, 2003, 12:28 PM
We're getting there. Patience, Kaz.

Selantrio winced inwardly as he viewed the battle that raged between the Raxilians and Beren's army, the Deathstorm Fleet. The Fleet had the advantage of numbers but the Raxilians all were ace pilots, decimating the Fleet. The Kronans fared worse than the hired mercenaries, their quick reflexes eclipsed by their slow mental processes. Many of them were not good pilots by any standard although the few who were avoided the better Raxilians like the plague. Selantrio knew that Beren's decision to consider Raxizil pacified and to remove the Nightdweller was a mistake - it had released the resistance from the Nightdweller's oppression. How they had known that Beren would be here - over Keenrei - was beyond him.
But even as he watched he saw the black ship Assassin in the midst of the fight, and knew that the Carrotan mercenary was not on Beren's side, unlike the other mercenaries that had been hired to fight. Where that one was, the others of her companions would be - the second mercenary, the telepath, the magic user and the one with the power reservoir, the teleporter, the spy and his sister, the bird, the Assassin ... they all would be there. They had flown right into Beren's grasp, the fools.
He revised that thought an instant later, when he finally got a good look at both the Venomstrike and the Soldier of Fortune. The living skin had been slain, leaving the mechanical, steel skeleton. The life that had been clustered in the bows were gone, dead.
He knew then that they had not overestimated the mercenary as Pirelann,captain of the Nightdweller, had suggested - they had underestimated her. From the scarred appearance of both the Venomstrike and Soldier it had been mere seconds from the time that they had arrived and destroyed the Guardian of Venomstrike to when the main attack had happened and Soldier's Guardian was killed. An efficient, simple and effective plan.
But why go to all the trouble of destroying the Jakka Guardians immediately and then ignoring them to fight the Deathstorm Fleet, as the Assassin was doing? For even now no one fired on either the Venomstrike or Soldier. And there was something wrong with the scanners - there were five times as many ships on the screen as there were in space.
Very clever, of course - it gave them a decided advantage, for the quintuplet signals confused both the automatic and living gunners. He doubted that Coppertop was even in the Assassin - those open hangars were tempting for one who needed to get inside.
Fortunately for the mercenary, Selantrio could not relay his suspicions to Beren Deathwreaker, for Beren had distanced himself from his Deathless Ones, in an attempt to find the Fader called Venomarin.

All that just to say that someone figured out what Copper was up to ...
Coppertop

Feb 4, 2003, 12:30 PM
They were close - very close. Beren's trace was strong, as Claw, Shinyso and Zanzibar confirmed. The silence was punctuated by almost audible mutterings, the result of a dark magic coupled with a twisted mind. Wild Angel could not clean the power; it was even more tainted than Kroys'. He had been there recently.
They pressed on.

The Soldier of Fortune was the focus of the Sarav's attack, and was slowly being torn to pieces. Small explosions like the deadly, beautiful fireflower that grew on Hellantra blossomed along the dully gleaming, scorched metal, as the Sarav who were not engaged in battle fired their missiles at it.
Then the Soldier of Fortune flared into incandescence, sign of a serious detonation. The left wing broke away from the body in majestic slow motion, ragged and torn edges glowing white hot and molten red. Flames licked at the ruptured hull, blossoming out of hangars to consume the escaping air. Then, as light washed over the hull, the Soldier exploded into a billion molten fragmets, a white-hot mist of steel that rapidly cooled.
From his vantage point Shonar was mildly impressed. The remains of the Deathstorm Fleet rallied around the Yelantra Sentry and the smaller Nightdweller, which loomed over the small Raxilian army, dwarfing them like a monolithic citadel dwarfs an ant. Intimidating, yet still vulnerable.
Now Shonar, realizing that if Coppertop died he would not get paid, sprang into action. Typing in a passcode into his main database, he gave it a few commands and sat back, waiting for them to take effect.
A second later, words glowed on the blank screen.
- Well, Shonar, I guess it's time to get to work. -
"You've got that right, Evaluator. By the way, don't manifest anywhere here. We've got a Jakka class starship to ... work on."
- The Jakkas are alive. I will be sensed. -
"Not when Kovu's through with it. Are you up to it?"
- When am I not? -
"You have a point. Can you immobilize it?"
- Perhaps. I can take the shields down and vent atmosphere if the Guardian is ... occupied. Scramble their scanners and passcodes, misfire their guns ... shut doors in their faces ... this might actually be fun. -
"I'd hoped you would say that," Shonar commented. "Go tell Kovu in the Vortex Crawler that he needs to use one torpedo apiece on the Jakkas. And don't play dumb - you knew there were two."
- I did. Why can't you tell him? -
"Because I'm not risking detection, you machine-crazy devil. Tell him that he needs to space them out - it'll give you time to do your work."
- Riiiigght. Got it. Thanks so much for thinking of my welfare, you backstabber. How much do I get paid? -
"You know the answer to that. Don't call me names."
- That's for calling me a devil. I'm outta here. -

Okay, Eval's in. Sorry Kaz, I know you're very good with computers, but I need you in the Assassin with Blackie.
Coppertop

Feb 4, 2003, 12:31 PM
Kovu was weighin the possibility of destroying the Yelantra Sentry with his missiles and having the Nightdweller either back off or die by normal means. The chances weren't good.
"A pretty problem," he said aloud.
The screen went blank.
"What the - didn't Claw fix this thing?"
Glowing words formed on the screen.
- I am not a malfunction, Kovu. Relax. -
"What?!"
- Relax! I am not about to kill you. -
"Oh, man -" he groaned. "What in the name of Jazz is going on? Who the heck are you?"
- My name is Evaluator. Shonar sent me to tell you that you are to fire one torpedo at each Jakka. Space them out, please. -
"Are you one of Shonar's programs?"
- No. What I am is irrelevant. Suffice to say that I will take care of the Yelantra Sentry and the Nightdweller. Rally the Raxilians and tell them to fire at the Sentry when the shields come down. Then you will fire the second torpedo at the Nightdweller. -
"Right. Am I supposed to fire the first at the Sentry before I rally them?"
- Heh. Yes, that would be helpful. -
"Got it. When I'm done, I demand to know what I did to deserve this."
- Gotcha. -
Kovu swivelled the Vorex Crawler towards the Yelantra Sentry and opened his comm channel.
"All Sarav, comm channel 34." Automatically the Sarav would set it to 35, to lose eavesdroppers. Kovu continued. "Break off engagements. Prepare to fire when the Yelantra Sentry's shields come down!"
He fired.

Ha ha, now I have to write more because that is all I have. Wait, why am I laughing?
Kaz

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2003, 02:02 PM
Talking

... ... Why are you laughing?

CT... thanks for all the explanations =7.

JCF Member

Sulfur is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2003, 02:48 PM
Nice job Copper, very exciting
We wait for more.

'Sulfur
defalcon

JCF Member

defalcon has disabled reputation

Feb 5, 2003, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Coppertop
He'd better appear soon though, since he plays a crucial part in this. And Evaluator, I've decided to add you in. I'm not so sure about 4I Falcon, though.
Awww Evaluator gets a spot?

Great story btw, I've been busy so I can't really comment but keep it coming.
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 5, 2003, 10:17 AM
I'm in... thanx
I wonder what happens with Beren

Eval
Coppertop

Feb 6, 2003, 11:31 AM
ok everybody lets be jealous of Eval!
Yeah Kaz, I'm sorry I made you look like a dork in Conquerer. I'm trying to rectify it, really.
Sorry, defal. You didn't fit. Who knows, maybe next time?

Nice to see you, Sulfur. Enjoy your stay

And now, for the Story!

- Well, - Evaluator commented, words surfacing on Shonar's screen, - I think he took it well. If he didn't, he fired anyway because I am now in the database of the Sentry[/i]. I just wrecked the scanners - every ship is now five meters to the left. The gunners ought to have fun with that. -[/i]
"Good. The shields are the priority though, remember?"
- Yep. I was right; this is fun. -
"Uh huh. Get on with it."
- Don't rush me. They've got this thing encrypted but there's holes like a sieve all through it. I mean, an ameteur like you could get through these codes. -
"Thanks so much, o elite one," Shonar said sarcastically. "Get on with it."
- Thank you. My goodness, if you had shields like that you wouldn't need insurance! Too bad you don't have the generators required. So. I'm convincing the generators to shut down. Now I just fuse these wires - got it. Can I start scrambling now? -
"Yeah, go ahead. Just make sure you're out of there before it blows."
- I don't make mistakes, Shonar. You know that. Heh, these doors won't open for anyone now. Not with the passcode I put in. -
"I don't want to know, Evaluator. I don't want to know."
- Alright, don't get huffy. I've already left the ship, you know. Oh, and those engines won't move an inch now. -
"Good. Make it short with the Nightdweller or I'll do it myself."
- Believe me, you wouldn't be able to do half of what I can do. -
"Thanks so much for the vote of confidance. Tell Kovu to hurry up."
- Already done. -
Coppertop

Feb 6, 2003, 11:32 AM
More betrayal coming up, just keep reading. Later.
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 6, 2003, 11:40 AM
*Wants more*
This story is great

Eval
Kaz

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2003, 10:58 AM
*nudge*

Just wanted to make sure this doesn't fall into the list of no return ;p.

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2003, 06:24 PM
LIKE MY STORIES DID My sentiments exactly.

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

"I like driving an automatic, because I can do this." *revs engine* "You like driving a manual?" "What did I say?" "Automatic." "I like my... automatic, uh, arm... it changes the shift-gear on my, uh, manual." - 4IF vs Ken

WT (un)masterpieces:
System of Turbulence

Coppertop

Feb 10, 2003, 12:13 PM
No, I'm not going to let this story die until it's finished, I promise.

Selantrio watched in amazement and shock as the Soldier of Fortune broke apart and exploded. With one hit, someone had just wiped out a quarter of the Deathstorm's firepower.
Then the rebels broke off their separate engagements, and swivelled to face the Sentry. Selantrio braced himself.
One - just one - torpedo shot towards them. Selantrio almost laughed. One would do nothing more than inconvenience them, unless it was poisoned. (Poisoned warheads, when detonated, play havoc with all electronics.)
It struck, barely rocking the Yelantra Sentry.
In the next moment, the scanners changed. Every ship depicted, phantom or not, moved to the left, although Selantrio could discern no movement outside.
Then the shields came down.
There was a moment of absolute silence before the waiting Raxilians began to fire their missiles. Now the Yelantra Sentry felt it, shuddering repeatedly under the force of being hit by volley after volley. Selantrio grabbed a crew member, a more intelligent lizard.
"Get to the shield generator," he hissed. "Get those shields back up, now!" The lizard saluted and left. He had barely cleared the door before it hissed closed, sealing them in. "Open those doors," he commanded.
"Can't, my lord! Passcode's changed!"
What?
The guns began to fire sporadically, hitting nothing. The screens all went blank, before words appeared, glowing.
- Be afraid. Be very afraid. -
At Selantrio's unspoken command, the remaining Deathless Ones vanished, headed for the Venomstrike. The doors hissed open again, while the words on the screens turned to something more sinister.
- Run. -
On cue, the crew made a mad dash for the door, which closed instantly. With a mental curse, Selantrio too vanished for the Venomstrike, leaving the bridge empty. Outside, escape pods ejected like seeds from a dandelion.
In the abandoned bridge, the screens remained blank and silent, hoarding their secrets jealously. One screen still had words.
- Well, that was fun. I hope he went to the Nightdweller. -

Pirelann, commander of the Nightdweller, watched in satisfaction as the Yelantra Sentry was first abandoned, then destroyed. That left the two smaller Jakkas intact.
The ship called Vortex Crawler fired once more, but Pirelann didn't stick around long enough. She vanished, leaving the rest of the Deathless Ones to their own devices.
Her destination was the Swordblade, Scimitar's flagship, where her fellow Fader Venomarin waited.

There's the betrayal, I sure hope Beren doesn't mind
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 10, 2003, 12:17 PM
Hey, I'm a fast replier

*eats story* *yumyum* *wants more*

Eval
Coppertop

Feb 10, 2003, 12:23 PM
You are.
4I Falcon

JCF Member

Feb 10, 2003, 02:37 PM
I'm not.

*looks around* What?

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

WT (un)masterpieces:
System of Turbulence

Kaz

JCF Member

Feb 10, 2003, 03:23 PM
Toasty.

Eval has too much freetime ;p, you were camping here weren't you?!

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2003, 01:38 AM
The plot thickens...

I think Evaluator has a tent set up near the toilets..
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2003, 03:08 AM
Nope, I'm not camping, I'm just programming
I use a self-written autorefresh program for a few sites (the board of my class, because I'm the admin, the jcf and some more)

Eval
Coppertop

Feb 11, 2003, 04:49 AM
Hmm, I might believe that. This is the first time in dayz that I've been on when you haven't! Hah!
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2003, 07:13 AM
My computer wasn't on, so the program wasn't running
Now it is

Maybe we should get back to topic

Eval
Coppertop

Feb 12, 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah, yeah, so you say

Back on topic. Right.

- Nightdweller has been destroyed, - Evaluator reported unnecessarily. Shonar nodded.
"Good work, Eval. Where'd those Deathless Ones go?"
- Near as I can tell, all but one headed for the Venomstrike. Some of those on the Nightdweller didn't make it off. -
"Where did the one go?"
There was a long silence. Then more words surfaced.
- That's gotta be wrong. - Disbelief colored the words. Shonar blinked.
"Why? Where'd he go?"
- Pirelann, commander of Nightdweller, is a she, Shonar. -
"Alright, where'd she go?"
- This can't be right. -
"What can't be right?"
- According to my calculations and info, she went to the Swordblade. -
"And what is the Swordblade?"
- Codename, Scimitar's Pride. It's the Raxilian flagship. -
"That's gotta be wrong." Either the Raxilians were traitors or Beren had a backstabber in the ranks.
- That's what I said. -

Pirelann's robe was now a charcoal grey. The ersatz Deathless One-turned-Fader appeared to be alone although she spoke with both Venomarin and Sharrakamov.
*You must deal with both Selantrio and Xastaquova*
*I will take them both*
Venomarin said.
*Xastaquova is more powerful than you think*
*My life debt demands that I take them*

A strong feeling that Venomarin should wait, from Sharrakamov.
*You overreact* Pirelann said. *He is powerful even in the lands of mortals, and Selantrio is no weakling*
*I will not wait*

Anger from Sharrakamov. Then he spoke.
*You must*
When Sharrakamov spoke, people listened. The Silent One did not waste words.
*I cannot*
*You must. Wait until the mortals confront him*
Pirelann urged.
*No*
*If you fail to obey we will keep you here until it is time*
she threatened.
With extreme reluctance Venomarin acquesied (sp?).
*Very well. I will remain here*
*You have no choice. But leave Xastaquova for the Solitary one*
*No! I will destroy the dark one myself*
*She will have the dark one*
Sharrakamov confirmed.
*Then I and Sharrakamov will support you. I will take Selantrio*
*You are not powerful enough*
Venomarin protested.
*I am. I can do it*
*Are you certain? He is powerful*
she warned.
*I am certain. Long I have waited*
*Good*

There was Sharrakamov's acknowledgement before he was gone. Venomarin lingered long enough to say, *be ready* before she too left.
Pirelann remained, alone. She was ready.
She knew it.

I can't believe this. I've written it out on paper and I'm already past Beren's defeat ... you poor people, you have to wait ...
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2003, 12:07 PM
This story rocks

And I'm still replying fast

Eval
Coppertop

Feb 12, 2003, 12:08 PM
Yup.
Kaz

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2003, 05:10 PM
BOT!!! BOT!!
KILL HIM!!!

KILL HIM!!!!!

;p, a refresh program? What's it do? Check the contents of the page after you've posted, rechecks them every second (I'm assuming you'd have that much bandwith to waste), and compares them to see if there's any difference o.o?

I saw that CT posted and was tempted to post "NO TIME FOR REVIEW! I BEAT EVAL" but nooooo. Eval uses a stupid program to do his dirty work >.>.

Keep it up CT, waiting for a paticularly large chunk I assume will be another climax or some sort.

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2003, 07:24 PM
Per usual, an excellent chappie, CT.

Also per usual, I'm too slow to have beaten Eval to the topic. Oh well.

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

WT (un)masterpieces:
System of Turbulence

defalcon

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
The plot thickens! (I'm gonna say that all the time now )

Meh. I'll beat Eval eventually.
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2003, 02:59 AM
Yeah, the plot got bigger again ... so the last downsize is compensated I think

Actually I have got unlimited bandwidth anyway. My program checks for the thread Conquests and plays some "bing" sounds if there is a new post.

But I only reply if I'm at the computer, my program isn't able to reply to threads

And it runs only if I'm not at school or away, because it wouldn't make any sense to run it if I'm not at the computer or at least at home

But that is off topic, so I have to slap myself with a trout

Oh yes, and I always read the new parts of the story before I reply

Eval

Maybe I should start programming a jazz fangame, that would be more useful than the "Conquests" refreshing program

Last edited by Evaluator; Feb 13, 2003 at 03:17 AM.
4I Falcon

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2003, 04:10 AM
You never know, someone might actually want that...

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

WT (un)masterpieces:
System of Turbulence

Kaz

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2003, 04:24 AM
Only the people that suck up far too much...

however that program would be useful for watching orders, replies, "forum chats", and on so. Put it on Cnet ?

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2003, 07:41 AM
Well, it hasn't got any GUI and is non-configurable (every adress is hard-coded) at this time, it only checks this thread and the board of my class and something at my school... And I'm too lazy to write a GUI for it

Eval
4I Falcon

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2003, 09:27 AM
Obsession rules.
Obsession rules.
Obsession rules.
Obsession rules.
Obsession rules.

RABID CRAZINESS FOLLOWS.

WT (un)masterpieces:
System of Turbulence

Coppertop

Feb 13, 2003, 11:44 AM
Wink

Off topic again, but 4I Falcon could be right ...

*Gasps* OMG, I forgot to write it ... *borrows Evaluator's trout* *slaps self*
Sorry, guys. I'm behind on my story ... I mean, I've almost finished in in rough copy, all I need to do is type it out ...
Evaluator

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2003, 11:47 AM
Hey, what are ya doing with my trout

Back 2 Topic:
Well, I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for the next chappies then

Eval