Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Jazz Jackrabbit Next Project

ultramecha

JCF Member

ultramecha is doing well so far

Mar 6, 2006, 11:49 PM
Lightbulb Jazz Jackrabbit Next Project

While stumbling upon this form I noticed talk about trying to "hack or crack" into the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Source Code. While that seems like a logical idea, I have a better one. Why not just create our own Jazz Jackrabbit Game? Just as long as we don’t sell the game of course. There are so many Game Creation tool and makers available on the net that people here could simply program there own Jazz game rather than hacking the source code of an already made one. Anyways if anyone is interested in constructing a new Jazz game, I have the tools available, simply reply to this post.

-Ultramecha
Neobeo

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

Mar 7, 2006, 12:41 AM
Actually many people here are programmers who could easily recreate such a game. The only thing stopping them are legal issues.

http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=14872
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Mar 7, 2006, 03:17 AM
You're not the first to propose something like that. Infact many people (so many it's not even funny) have tried that, only to give up because its too tedious: it takes a lot of time, talent and especially patience to make a game good.

I know everyone would like to make a Jazz Jackrabbit game, or even a spin-off. I'm currently planning a spin-off myself, based on Sonic CD, but I'm lacking tools to do anything else. Trust me: making everything work story-wise is hard

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 7, 2006, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramecha
While stumbling upon this form I noticed talk about trying to "hack or crack" into the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Source Code. While that seems like a logical idea, I have a better one. Why not just create our own Jazz Jackrabbit Game? Just as long as we don’t sell the game of course. There are so many Game Creation tool and makers available on the net that people here could simply program there own Jazz game rather than hacking the source code of an already made one. Anyways if anyone is interested in constructing a new Jazz game, I have the tools available, simply reply to this post.

-Ultramecha
The "tools" being Game Maker 6, Klik&Play, Multimedia Fusion or something? No thanks.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 7, 2006, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
You're not the first to propose something like that. Infact many people (so many it's not even funny) have tried that, only to give up because its too tedious: it takes a lot of time, talent and especially patience to make a game good.

I know everyone would like to make a Jazz Jackrabbit game, or even a spin-off. I'm currently planning a spin-off myself, based on Sonic CD, but I'm lacking tools to do anything else. Trust me: making everything work story-wise is hard

If you have a lot of time to spare, you might want to look into hacking the game to use Jazz sprites and things. I'm not sure how much can be done with Sonic CD hacking just yet, but you might want to check out SWS2B.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2006, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPX
If you have a lot of time to spare, you might want to look into hacking the game to use Jazz sprites and things. I'm not sure how much can be done with Sonic CD hacking just yet, but you might want to check out SWS2B.
The only hacking I would be doing is for research purposes, not to turn the game into something else :P I have the PC version, so hacking should be somewhat easy...

ultramecha

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2006, 09:41 AM
Legal Issues wouldn’t be a problem provided that this game is just nothing more than a Fan game; there are plenty of Sonic fan games out there. I certainly wouldnt plan on selling a Jazz Jackrabbit knock off . GM is an excellent program, what exactly is wrong with creating a game with that. I have some bad (-) sonic engines I have created with it if the dude who was creating Sonic CD wants them. Any who Ttyl,

-Ultramecha
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2006, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Legal Issues wouldn’t be a problem provided that this game is just nothing more than a Fan game; there are plenty of Sonic fan games out there. I certainly wouldnt plan on selling a Jazz Jackrabbit knock off . GM is an excellent program, what exactly is wrong with creating a game with that. I have some bad (-) sonic engines I have created with it if the dude who was creating Sonic CD wants them. Any who Ttyl,

-Ultramecha
All fan games are technically illegal because they use copyrighted material without permission of the original owner (i.e. the company). It's small fry most of the time, so it'd be a waste of time and money to prosecute them.

I'm interested in those engines, maybe you can tell me more about the features like speed, physics and language it's written in?

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Mar 7, 2006, 09:58 AM
And your site...it's not finished, is it? It sounds interesting though.

JCF Member

Crono5 is doing well so far

Mar 7, 2006, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
All fan games are technically illegal because they use copyrighted material without permission of the original owner (i.e. the company). It's small fry most of the time, so it'd be a waste of time and money to prosecute them.
So is any sort of Jazz Jackrabbit fan fiction as well as the JCF logo (uses copyrighted images and text). So yeah, legallity isn't really an issue (with copyright legality never is anyway, what matters is how many lawyers each side has).

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 8, 2006, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono5
So is any sort of Jazz Jackrabbit fan fiction as well as the JCF logo (uses copyrighted images and text). So yeah, legallity isn't really an issue (with copyright legality never is anyway, what matters is how many lawyers each side has).
And how much the company cares. I'm sure Epic doesn't mind if I write a short-story featuring rabbits with guns blowing up turtles.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Mar 9, 2006, 10:55 PM
I don't see why the Jazz3D project is legal when making this fan game isn't ;o

JCF Member

Mar 10, 2006, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle
I don't see why the Jazz3D project is legal when making this fan game isn't ;o
Intellectual property yet again. Using intellectual property for yourself is one thing, releasing it is another. If you'd release it for free, that's technically copyright infrigment and thus illegal. The JJ3 Project was still gonna be proposed to Epic for possible release, that's what makes the difference.

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Mar 10, 2006, 04:23 AM
I think the difference with the Jazz3d project is we're going to be showing Epic a nearcompleted/completed 3d game with a whole lot of features.
Most other fangames we go to epic say "HEY CAN WE MAKE NEW JAZZ??//" and obviously, Epic is going to shut them down. And by shut them down, I mean Mark just says "srry no u guyz" multiple times.

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Mar 10, 2006, 04:49 AM
Hmm wish it was true but chances are I will get a cease and desist letter/email and have to shut the Jazz3D total Conversion down. Shame as it really is just a big attempt to celebrate Jazz2.

Last edited by Baggers; Mar 10, 2006 at 05:05 AM.
R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Mar 10, 2006, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobeo
Actually many people here are programmers who could easily recreate such a game. The only thing stopping them are legal issues.

http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=14872
not EASILY, though
ultramecha

JCF Member

Mar 21, 2006, 02:01 PM
I honestly don’t see why anyone here is concerned with “leagal issues” people make Sonic and Mario fan games all the time, and I can guarantee that they never even bothered to ask permission from Sega nor Nintendo. The point is if people don’t make such a big deal about the fan game then there is nothing to worry about when creating one. Its not like Epic searches the web daily to find out if someone is making a fan game based off of there own games. And even if Epic does happen to find the fan game all they’ll do is ask you to remove it or just erase it themselves. No one will ever grant permission to make a fan game, but that doesn’t stop people from making them. When I created a sonic-pacman fan game, I simply stated at the beginning that “Sonic and all related characters are restricted trademarks of Sega” or whatever legal statement needs to be said. You can look at most fan games based of sonic and they’ll say something like that. Epic doesn’t really care what people do with Jazz for crying out loud Jazz isn’t even listed on there homepage anymore its all Unreal Unreal Unreal and more Unreal , I bet people out there have already created Fan games of Jazz. I can guarantee Epic could care less if people are doing it, but legally they cant tell you “oh its okay go ahead and make a game based off our characters”, they have to defend there copyrights or they lose them.

-Ultramecha

JCF Member

Ae has disabled reputation

Mar 21, 2006, 02:36 PM
Quote:
simply program there own Jazz game
Eh?

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Mar 21, 2006, 08:32 PM
ultramecha: Correction...they didnt USED to mind...they sure as hell do now. I don't know entirely why they are being more strict on it now but they are.
Too many chances to get sued themselves I think.
Whatever the case sonic and mario fan games are getting closed. Nintendo are normally good about fangames aswell they used to encourage it. But thats life really !

JCF Member

Mar 22, 2006, 12:34 AM
Quote:
I can guarantee Epic could care less if people are doing it, but legally they cant tell you “oh its okay go ahead and make a game based off our characters”, they have to defend there copyrights or they lose them.

-Ultramecha
Copyrights expire in 60 to 70 years, I don't think we'd live to see that day Trademarks however (names and logos) expire a lot sooner, but they mean nothing as long as the designs are still Epic's.

ultramecha

JCF Member

Mar 25, 2006, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
ultramecha: Correction...they didnt USED to mind...they sure as hell do now. I don't know entirely why they are being more strict on it now but they are.
Too many chances to get sued themselves I think.
Whatever the case sonic and mario fan games are getting closed. Nintendo are normally good about fangames aswell they used to encourage it. But thats life really !
Since when? I have never seen reports of people getting sued over a non-profitable game. How exactly do you know this? No Offense or anything I'm just kind of curious. I'm just saying I honestly don't think anyone has anything to worry about. I mean if that were true, sites like this would be closed down; heck the dude who made this site is basically stealing the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Logo for this site, just altering it a little. If they are going to sue people who make Fan Games, then they might as well sue people who are going to make Fan Sites.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Mar 26, 2006, 01:20 AM
Like I said before, it's not breaking news, therefore not worth mentioning. Besides, we already know we're not worth their time so they leave us alone.

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Apr 11, 2006, 10:33 PM
I say just create something original in the spirit of Jazz but from the creativity of the community. That'd be more rewarding anyways, right? I mean, there's been original characters and things designed before... Hmm... Or, well there was Skitch 'Possum, but that didn't make it unfortunately.

Then again, just using resources and ideas that have already been made is a lot faster. Just there's those legal issues.

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 12, 2006, 07:27 AM
There was also Mechaius.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

Apr 13, 2006, 04:40 AM