Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Check this out

JCF Member

[GpW]Urbs is an asset to this forum

Jan 18, 2011, 03:08 PM
Check this out

http://web.archive.org/web/200012021...com/gclans.htm

EDIT: thanks cooba. other parts of the page are interesting as well if you ask me. I just focused on the clan section but I guess the topic of discussion could be wider
Hehe memories.
I think Angel UOI was pretty sexy.

666 is missing (God Promise to Win member was in charge of the clan section).
I was in FR, Fire Rabbits, with Maximus. I remember when we asked clanbase for a ladder, he voted for it although by then he had already been inactive for quite some time. I couldn't contact him though He was all for a jj2 ladder though

GPW is obviously there, this version of the site says 32 members, I distinctly remember that at one time the figure was 55.
A lot more clans had webpages, and there was a hell of a lot of clans. Clanhopping was rampant, thats why I don't like it when people today look down on 10 year old kids who swap clans like you and me swap shorts. Ofc they do, they're 10 years old ffs.

Black Wolves and their leader Merlin, whom I've never had the honour to meet, although I met dethman on some ctf games, so maybe I just don't remember merlin being there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but BW is supposedly the 1st ever clan of jj2. Also at the begining it was probably the best. Clans like UOI were VERY l33t as well. And I remember Eugene being a really swell guy.

Army of Darkness was the clan of a legendary croatian JJ2 player, Nemesis, who later joined GpW and was to be my starcraft 1 mentor. A very crafty player. Now probably a successful manager.

I'm pretty sure I was also in IKU, international killer unit, before reviving 666 (it had died away after the 1st serverlist crash in 99 was it?). Here I made one big mistake. I recruited people, and then never saw them online again and had no means of contacting them... noobish I know. Later on I always asked for people's ICQ. Then one of my members which I stole from GPW rejoined shadow's clan and I somehow followed, after asking if I could join and pwning Newspaz 5-3 on battle2, my favourite level for at least a year or two

Raptors were a big deal back then as well. And Rapid Rabbits of course, they had tons of members, most of them above average as well. At one time at least 3 clans had Shadows for their leaders RR, nouveaux 666 (they made me change my nick when I joined the original clan and I kept it for as long as I was in 666) and ofc GpW

No good clanwars back then. A whole lot of them though. You would always see a server with a CW up. UOI played a whole lot of them and prolly won most of them

Oh and another interesting fact, Slayo (not the cheater) is now Vegito's roommate in Ireland and he was my leader in IKU for a while. He later joined GpW, and also left it when I didn't put him on the memberlist (he didn't wear the tag, how the hell was I supposed to know we had him)

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Last edited by [GpW]Urbs; Jan 18, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 18, 2011, 03:19 PM
Nice find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GpW]Urbs View Post
Raptors were a big deal back then as well.
They were Dizzy's first clan afaik?

Also:
Quote:
I can't make a direct link to the clan section
http://web.archive.org/web/200012021...com/gclans.htm

JCF Member

Jan 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
BTW ya, I'd have to check the DM article on j2o, but I think you're right yes.

And by big deal I didn't mean anything remotely close to the cold war like situation in 2000+ where DL (later DM) and GpW hogged the scene, or the CC era after that etc... You can see how the clan scene was incredibly big and diverse. It's actually a lot more diverse now, as opposed to certain periods of jj2 history as well.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Vegito

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Jan 18, 2011, 10:13 PM
TXL, MM, DW, DR, hahaha.
Interesting to see all those clans although I seriously don't remember many of the others :/.

When searching for Merlin (obviously the name does tell me something, I can barely remember him too though :/) I found this thread: Here

It has a link to this tournament tried some 10 years back now,

http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/hudsucker/702/jaca/

and look who's there. Bobby RS

You might also like to take a look here:

http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showt...ghlight=MErlin

Haha, oh god . The brag threats again.

For the hell of GpW:

Damn, so many random threats when highlighting Merlin hah

Also, we should try something like this again:

Thanks Urbs! You made my first 1.5h of work interesting! I started at 6AM, so there's really nothing to do for the first couple of hours

Last edited by Vegito; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM.

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 12:44 AM
Hehe the top 10 player list of the day.I really liked flea, he was an intelligent player. Member of both GpW and DL(later merged with EM into DM, right after a long discussion of a DL vs GpW game, which then never took place)

BTW we used to rock the clan section here

EDIT: FEAR THE GURUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And don't mention it Veg. Thanks for your links!

Disguise actually added me on starcraft2 now so we'll be able to play some games there as well (sc1 is mentioned in the thread). Not a very clannish game though.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Last edited by [GpW]Urbs; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Vegito

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 01:32 AM
I could play SC2 as well. We might do some CC Vs GpW game there then, we'll lose there but we'll win the JJ2WC3 instead ok???

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 19, 2011, 01:41 AM
Not a clannish game?!

EPIC 4V4 GPW VS TF BATTLE

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 04:28 AM
well im Urbs there and my number is either 345 or 354(imo the last1)

I cant disclose sj's or snz's info, as especially snz is sort of not on friendly terms with this community atm

Btw veg, knowing your zeal I'm sure you would pwn me in a week (or a month). There's something korean about you

Oh and Stijn, I'd have to steal t3's members if you want a 4v4

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Vegito

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 07:30 AM
I love strategy games too, I used to play lots of C&C games.. I got them all. It wouldn't take me long to learn SC

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 08:13 AM
I need to learn all the hotkeys, cuz atm I know exactly 0 of them

But otherwise, I'm a decent player I guess. Still far worse than Sucer, Sj or Snz, not to even mention Disguise who has a diamond rating in 2v2 and 4v4 I believe. Nunez is supposedly also l33t like hell.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
I've encountered a few players called Snooze while laddering on SC2, but they never were from Finland

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 08:56 AM
Whats your nick stijn? and number?
PM it to me, or just add me.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Mercurio

JCF Member

Mercurio has disabled reputation

Jan 19, 2011, 09:20 AM

This was definitely the coolest clan by the most awesome guy around. Even though they typo'd my name... or I did I dunno.

A rl mate of mine is on there twice as well. No way his "bond oo7" clan had 53 members though (the "Secret Clan" with 3 is more accurate). Those were the days.

JCF Member

Enigma is an asset to this forum

Jan 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
Huh, this actually says GpW stands for "God Promise to Win". Is that a mistake or did the clan actually change its name at some point? Can't remember.

Also, seeing the Sea Clan on there takes me way back (roughly to about when I was half the age I'm now, haha), I was completely new to online gaming and actually joined that thing without really knowing what a clan was

Edit: You guys have SC2? Awesome, we should do a couple of games some time

Administrator

Jan 19, 2011, 09:55 AM
Stijn#468, haven't played in a while though.

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
Ok will add you.

@ enigma: god promise to win for the 1st 2-3 years

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

JCF Member

Jan 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hey I added you. Checking out wisety's profile I also noticed you and unhit played a lot of 4v4's with disguise and I was able to add unhit as well

Silver 4v4 league baby ( I know, I know you're most likely diamond or something)

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Vegito

JCF Member

Jan 20, 2011, 03:03 AM
I'm up for SC2 .
Also, nice topic change. But then again, playing SC2 with "JJ2 oldies" is fun

JCF Member

Jan 20, 2011, 05:15 AM
Sure veg, but 1st I have to pwn you on saturday.
Then we can go on and I can pwn you on sc2 as well.

Does that work for you?

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2011, 01:44 AM
There is nothing clever behind GPW's name, I litterly rammed some random letters out of my keyboard and made a name out of it. Heck, the clan was made for fun, so why not a stupid name for it. We just wanted to tag ourselfs with something, to reconize the players in Quake World and Team Fortress 1.

However, after a few years we completely re-organised the clan and gave it a new name.

One of the direct changes we had was;
We banned out multiclanners, added support for more games, launched a website and a new name (God promise to Win -> Gurus of Proactive Warfare), and Blackwolf stepped down as leader.

Btw add: Insomnia (I wont give my real id tho) @ Battle.net let me join and you guys with wooping asses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
TXL, MM, DW, DR, hahaha.
Interesting to see all those clans although I seriously don't remember many of the others :/.
No shit, you were 7/8 years old when those clans started.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

Last edited by ShadowGPW; Jan 21, 2011 at 03:39 AM.

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2011, 03:34 AM
Shadow just add me and Stijn and then we'll slowly build up from there.
Me and enigma did some great 2v2's the other day, and from what I've seen of Disguise's games, he's been playing a whole lot with Stijn, Unhit and another jj2 player. They're a 4v4 team if I'm not mistaken. But as of now I probably have the most jj2ers on my bnet contact list, but I can't give you the numbers having forgotten them myself.

BTW SnoozeDW is "our" snooze(he loves diamondus warzone) and he said I could tell you this and you guys can add him as well. No need for a number, cuz he is the only SnoozeDW out there. Or at least that was the case a couple of days ago

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Vegito

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2011, 05:27 AM
Shad: More like 11 but still, it's over 10 years ago

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2011, 05:32 AM
In 1998 that list got made and several of those names are on that list for ALMOST 13 years.

You are 21 - 13 = 8 years ;p

Mystic Legends

Vegito

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2011, 05:52 AM
Ah, didn't realize/know this list was made in 1998

Super Moderator

Jan 21, 2011, 07:56 AM
It all started there on Jazz2City, heck.. I've moderated that list for a year or so ;-0

Mystic Legends

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2011, 08:23 AM
Yup, although this particular link is from 2000 I think.

Still the clans from 1998-2000, as far as the list goes anyway, were pretty much the same (ok knowing that during that period I started one clan myself - Commando(Urbs) clan-, you can imagine there was a hell of a lot of clans back then. longest tag evah ftw)
In 1999 gpw had 55 or 59 members. I know cuz thats when I joined. It was also the time when we started cleaning up the books, so to speak, and the inactive members were taken off the list. It's hard to imagine this from today's perspective, but a 2d platform game was never expected to last as long as it did. JJ2 has always been, in the views of the community, in a state where everybody believed that a particular year would be the last year of JJ2. So a lot of clans and a lot of people left jj2. Especially due to the serverlists going down.
After the initial phase there was a period in jj2 history where there weren't all that many clans around. The old ones died, whereas only a few strong ones remained. DL, EM, GpW. And even then gpw's members, including myself, had started to play other games more than jj2.
After that period there was a certain power vacuum in which FoR and TF were formed. By the time the 1st jj2wc was staged, GpW was holding for dear life, we had 3 members basically and that was it. DM was pretty inactive, but they managed to acquire the services of AvK and Firesword, so that kept em going for the next few years. TF and FoR were also starting to become less active by then. TF got Thunder to play for them and FoR was sort of like gpw - a 3 man team.
The situation didn't change much until jj2wc2, when CC and VS exploded and became the new powerhouses of jj2. Individual skill was still in favour of DM, and with Skull maybe even FoR. Hell blacky and rep and rag and GP were all very great individdual players as well back then.
Slowly but surely not only new teams, but new individuals took over the scene from 2005 on. King Vegito, Viv aka SJ, Rep still held his own, Yasco, SQ etc. And 8d was born, so the stage was set for another cold war between 8d and CC, one clan based more on the ideas of their arch rivals, the Guru's, the other's recruitment policy being more like that of DM in its prime. And both of them securing one victory against each other.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
oh and, I just made it into a gold 2v2 league
boom!!

EDIT: just got pwnt 4 the 1st time

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

Last edited by [GpW]Urbs; Jan 21, 2011 at 09:35 AM.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
I used to be in DW but that tag disappeared.

JCF Member

Jan 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
I've got problems remembering what happened before the server list going down

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
It's fascinating to read what it was like in jj2 back in the old days. I actually started playing SP quite a long time ago, possibly from 2001 or 1999...anywhere in between that timeline I think. I must've been playing with 1.20 back then...that's right I had no idea about TSF those days. I wasn't allowed to play online way back then.
Okay, so maybe map standards weren't that great back then and perhaps I wouldn't of been as harsh on reviewing them. Although I would've wished to have started jj2 online earlier.

I don't really care about "clanhoppers" that much anymore, they'll learn to be loyal someday. Sounds cheesy but true, wasting your time whining about them won't make much of a difference, look around on bigger online games perhaps, and it is probably worse. The thing about a small community, is that just about everyone knows each other. Once something happens, it easily spreads (As in good, bad or informal news, not cheats...).

I'll probably still keep playing. I may become less active at some point though. Infact I already have. For the first few several months of playing online I would make sure to come on at least once a day, mainly playing around on public servers. I've noticed the online community has became a little more active than in 2009, although I'd doubt it would become the stage it was like back in the late 90's/early 2000...

JCF Member

Zerg is doing well so far

Jan 22, 2011, 12:23 PM
I think, this topic would be the perfect place to ask, where could I join.
My only problem is just that, I won't have much time to play online because of my exams in summer...
Or is there any clan where this "not full activity" wouldn't be problem?
spaceboy

Banned

spaceboy is doing well so far

Jan 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
<-- (but you must be extremely skilled + exprienced ..)

Last edited by spaceboy; Jan 27, 2011 at 04:39 AM.
Mercurio

JCF Member

Mercurio has disabled reputation

Jan 23, 2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [GpW]Urbs View Post
Yup, although this particular link is from 2000 I think.

In 1999 gpw had 55 or 59 members. I know cuz thats when I joined. It was also the time when we started cleaning up the books, so to speak, and the inactive members were taken off the list.
Happened again a few years later. In 2001 or 2002 or something people were kicked for being inactive or not making a certain age cut (like me). I blame GoldBones... but he was probably right since it was still bulky back then.

JCF Member

Jan 23, 2011, 02:22 AM
U were kicked?
GB noob!

Although I have to say, he was probably one of the best gameleaders Him and Newspaz.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide